Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I wish those knobs would make hardtails strats.

Two or three years ago, before I had a better understanding of Fender’s marketing proclivities, I took my Sub-Sonic strat to a local shop to try out amps to see what worked best with it. When I did the case check at the counter, the instrument got a lot of attention from the staff... but not because it was a rare color of an uncommon guitar. It was apparently because it is hardtail and three of the guys had never even seen a hardtail strat in real life before, as the last one from the ‘70s they had come through inventory was sometime around 2009.

I’d buy a hardtail new-production HSS in a heartbeat if my bass brainworms stopped at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

https://youtu.be/Eg9YzgEKnig

edit: url parsing/embedding broken?

[video type=“YouTube”]Eg9YzgEKnig[/video]

duodenum fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 5, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Fender actually is making some hardtail Strats this year: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ple-fingerboard

They also have it as options in their Mod Shop semi custom thing. It looks like you can make HSS ones. The cost is more than equivalent production models. If I still played enough to at all justify any more guitars, I'd make some Antigua finish hardtail monstrosity.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 6, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Fender actually is making some hardtail Strats this year: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ple-fingerboard

Thanks for the heads up!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It seems like making hardtails ought to be cheaper considering you can skip a big complicated rout and use a much simpler bridge.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BDA posted:

It seems like making hardtails ought to be cheaper considering you can skip a big complicated rout and use a much simpler bridge.

Whoa buddy, we’re giving you extra tone wood!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My stupid music poo poo for last year, paying a premium over a regular Tele for an Esquire.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Shiroc posted:

They also have it as options in their Mod Shop semi custom thing. It looks like you can make HSS ones.

Aw dammit, what guitars am I gonna offload to make room?

I don’t spend a lot of time paying attention to the guitar options, so I had no idea... they would do well to highlight mod shop creations somewhere to show this stuff off.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
How can Fender make a 70's hardtail and not offer it in a sunburst or natural finish?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The most razor-thin of lines between cool and stupid and also both simultaneously.
I am genuinely distressed by that guitar. Wow.

widefault posted:

How can Fender make a 70's hardtail and not offer it in a sunburst or natural finish?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 7, 2021

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

widefault posted:

It’s probably telling that FSR specs are decided by the shop ordering them (and, I guess by extension, how well that shop knows its customers).

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Hardtail strats in Daphne blue, surf green, and transparent red are being mass produced right now with one little catch:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/search?q=noventa

Going to assume that's a swimming pool rout so should be pretty easy to mod to hss.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A natural finish calls for nicer patterns of wood grain and hasn't Fender moved away from the woods that have those? Cheaper to just paint over everything and not care what the wood actually looks like.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Joe Bogan posted:

Hardtail strats in Daphne blue, surf green, and transparent red are being mass produced right now with one little catch:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/search?q=noventa

Going to assume that's a swimming pool rout so should be pretty easy to mod to hss.

Holy poo poo those teles look terrible. Like, I get why they look like that, but I sure don't like it!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shiroc posted:

A natural finish calls for nicer patterns of wood grain and hasn't Fender moved away from the woods that have those? Cheaper to just paint over everything and not care what the wood actually looks like.

Also nice wood is getting rare.

Trees just aren’t allowed to grow old enough in enough quantity.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There's a Fender Custom Shop painter named Jay Nelson on instagram who sometimes does the thing "see that grain? say byeeeeeeeeee!!" and then blasts the guitar with white primer. :(

His channel is super cool. https://www.instagram.com/jncolor/?hl=en

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fender has moved away from using ash bodies so much because of the emerald ash borer making nice ash harder to get and not wanting to be responsible for making a tree go extinct.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They've started using roasted pine on the American Professional II Series and it really has a similar look to ash. They're also using "soft maple" on the Squier 70's Tele Thinline, which doesn't look like ash but at least has decent grain and the possibility of a little flame or figure.

Or start using whatever the hell this is on the two early 80s Samick-built Korean hardtails I have.

Samick called it ash in the spec sheets, but the grain is too tight and straight. Sen, maybe?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There's a Fender Custom Shop painter named Jay Nelson on instagram who sometimes does the thing "see that grain? say byeeeeeeeeee!!" and then blasts the guitar with white primer. :(

His channel is super cool. https://www.instagram.com/jncolor/?hl=en

~20 years back I painted a load of trim for someone building a house. All maple, all with massive amounts of figure and birdseyes. The interior doors were similar, beautiful grain with a decent amount of figure, all book-matched. Would have been gorgeous to just do a natural or lightly stained finish, but that was all to "busy" looking for the homeowner, so it all got a thick layer of semi-gloss white.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

widefault posted:

~20 years back I painted a load of trim for someone building a house....
After buying my first house I stripped the years of gloppy landlord white paint off to get to the gorgeous old growth maple underneath.

After I finished proudly I told my dad on the phone, who then paused a long, long time before asking if I did a lead test first. Oops.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
"Bird's Eye? That wood is diseased. Throw it all out."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I’m messing around with warmoth designing a ridiculous strat

Bridge humbucker only
Volume knob only
Roasted maple neck and fretboard with black block inlays
Reverse large headstock, painted black
Black binding on the neck
Goldtop gold body- sadly they don’t paint necks to match
Black/white/black pickguard
Hardtail string through
Side jack
Chrome hardware

Comedy option:
24.75” scale

Approx $1300 with crap like locking tuners

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

TIL Lemmy brought a slot machine with him on tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SHv3N-cVc4

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My Esquire is apparently roasted pine. Its a white blonde so you can see the wood a little bit and it looks really nice. Maybe someday I'll get to play some lovely and obscenely trebley solos for people with it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got the 8 string Classical that a previous goon turned me towards, my original tuning idea didn't work since two strings poo poo the bed with the tension, however a whole step down and it's working well so far, C Standard with an extra string for a bottom Bb and high G owns. Loving the extended range for arranging.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

https://twitter.com/ShitpostBot5000/status/1368886752740601856?s=20

shitpostbot has our number

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Turns out you can just NASA footage, generally. More accordion this week!

https://twitter.com/DatePandemic/status/1368356835229581312?s=19

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkEQCh0RDJY

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sigher posted:

So I got the 8 string Classical that a previous goon turned me towards, my original tuning idea didn't work since two strings poo poo the bed with the tension, however a whole step down and it's working well so far, C Standard with an extra string for a bottom Bb and high G owns. Loving the extended range for arranging.

Awesome! Shame about the tuning, especially since I seem to remember that getting appropriate strings was not that easy. I'd love to see it!

The question remains: does it djent?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

If you're flailing about enough to knock the switch out of position the chances are pretty high you'll whack your knuckles on that thing and start flinging blood all over the place the edges look awful sharp.

So you're saying its useful and metal? :black101:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

today's stupid music poo poo is I think that when I changed my strings a few weeks ago, I put the b and the high e on backwards

today's stupid music poo poo is that I think I'm going to get another 10 to replace the e (the tension on what's on there right now is kind of ridiculous) but leave the b alone so I'd have two 10s on the two highest strings...

...today's stupid music poo poo is that I can never just assume that whenever anyone says "top" or "bottom"/"first" or "sixth" string that I am going to agree with them as to which strings they actually mean

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hexwren posted:

...today's stupid music poo poo is that I can never just assume that whenever anyone says "top" or "bottom"/"first" or "sixth" string that I am going to agree with them as to which strings they actually mean

In my head top and first are both the low E, and I’m pretty sure that’s wrong but that’s what it should be :colbert:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
But if the first string is the one closest to the floor, how does that account for Albert King or anyone else who played flipped?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

In my head top and first are both the low E, and I’m pretty sure that’s wrong but that’s what it should be :colbert:

Exactly my belief as well. It's incidentally also the most important string because chugging.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wolfwood really mellowed out huh?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

Wolfwood really mellowed out huh?
I hate that I understand this reference.

No I loving don't. :kimchi:

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone want to buy a haunted guitar? Only $666.

https://reverb.com/item/10967219-haunted-paranormal-ghost-guitar

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

drat, i'd be lying if i said i wasn't tempted

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

All my guitar strings vibrate discordantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

see, for me, the low e is bottom and first, though I've seen basically every combination used at this point