Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's a good thing we have such a robust social care system that really cares about people with long term sickness!

E: 32 is the amount of seconds it will take covid generation children to draw a full breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

The only reason the NHS hasn't haemorrhaged even more clinical staff is that by and large most will receive an automatic pay progression semi-regularly. So everyone gets a reasonably significant pay rise each year but each individual pay point is worth less year by year due go inflation.

IIRC for nurses it tops out at 9 years so after that you start feeling the below inflation pay rises.

The 2018 pay deal (which was poo poo) changed this, so there's generally only 2 points in a pay band and you get one big jump after several years. It's basically to flatten out pay curves and make things cheaper if you keep staff turn over steady.
So now you feel the bit every year. Good times.

EDIT: This is the 'Agenda for Change' scale that Nurses/AHPs/Admin Staff use. Can't remember about doctors.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

DroneRiff posted:

EDIT: This is the 'Agenda for Change' scale that Nurses/AHPs/Admin Staff use. Can't remember about doctors.

does the word "Change" here denote what their pay amounts to

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, holy poo poo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"He forgets he had good friends in the press and in television before he married Meghan"

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, holy poo poo

is... that a death threat?!?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ewan posted:

is... that a death threat?!?

Don't really see any other way to read it

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

TheRat posted:

Don't really see any other way to read it

I dunno, how many white fiat uno's are still roadworthy?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

I dunno, how many white fiat uno's are still roadworthy?

Wiki says Brazil was still making them in 2013 :getin:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, holy poo poo

Is this a death threat?

e: I see I wasn't the only one....

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
keep ya mahf shaht sunshoine :bahgawd:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

The Perfect Element posted:

Also is it me, or is Labour's position of nobly arguing that in fact nurses should have a whopping 2.1% pay rise just weak as gently caress. Like, as a negotiating tactic, an extra 1.1% starting point is just pathetic.

Sensible Centrists- We do the compromising so you don't have to.
Using only the British Political Cartoons thread as a barometer, it looks like people right across the spectrum are dunking on the parsimony. Refusing to fork out some more for nurses while spending buckets of cash redecorating Downing street is looking increasingly crass. There definitely is room for a more radical starting point, but unfortunately Starmer's suppressed all the party elements that would introduce that to the discussion.
Labour without the bolshiness is a pretty dismal looking thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Went to Aldi today, totally riddled. People standing around nattering in the aisles with some pal they've bumped into. Huge family groups with like 5 kids running amok. Maybe I am being unreasonable but the most annoying people of all are the maskless dickheads with their sunflower lanyards. I would have some small measure of respect for someone just refusing to wear one and fronting it out, but the way they proudly show off their super special snowflake permission slip from the teacher really really gets to me, as if to say I'm the rear end in a top hat for getting frustrated with them and they need everyone to understand just how fragile and vulnerable they are and how everyone needs to be super nice and considerate to them. gently caress off, there is not a single condition on the planet that prevents you wearing a bit of fabric on your face for a few minutes, grow the gently caress up. There are people with one lung and COPD who need oxygen just to get up a flight of stairs who manage. It's totally bizarre to me that any medical professional is indulging this garbage.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Went to Aldi today, totally riddled. People standing around nattering in the aisles with some pal they've bumped into. Huge family groups with like 5 kids running amok. Maybe I am being unreasonable but the most annoying people of all are the maskless dickheads with their sunflower lanyards. I would have some small measure of respect for someone just refusing to wear one and fronting it out, but the way they proudly show off their super special snowflake permission slip from the teacher really really gets to me, as if to say I'm the rear end in a top hat for getting frustrated with them and they need everyone to understand just how fragile and vulnerable they are and how everyone needs to be super nice and considerate to them. gently caress off, there is not a single condition on the planet that prevents you wearing a bit of fabric on your face for a few minutes, grow the gently caress up. There are people with one lung and COPD who need oxygen just to get up a flight of stairs who manage. It's totally bizarre to me that any medical professional is indulging this garbage.

Eh, people with serious anxiety can have problems with their mouth being covered. Theoretically, autistic people might struggle too. Seems a bit of an over-reaction.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My mate has a bunch of conditions and a sunflower lanyard, but doesn't have breathing trouble so wears a mask.

She regularly gets people coming up to her saying "oh you're exempt, you don't need to wear a mask love!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ThomasPaine posted:

Some of my work colleagues have hearing loss, difficulties breathing and panic attacks when getting their mouths covered due to claustrophobia. The fact that you going: "these loving swots and their loving "special permission slips", gently caress them" is the exact same emotional response as someone going 'FLAT SCREEN TV AND A FACKIN' HOUSE" about asylum seekers.

This is one of the essential flaws of everyone I think, but is something I see a lot of. The idea that someone, somewhere is "getting away with it". It's understandable as we live in a cruel world without justice, but it isn't always fair.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 7, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
On the one hand I'm sure if you have claustrophobia or anxiety it might be deeply unpleasant to wear a mask but then on the other grow up and suck it up for the three minutes it takes, seriously, it's a pandemic, the collective good takes priority over your comfort.

Yeah, the pandemic is bringing out the authoritarian in me and it is quite troubling! I think being confined to quarters for a year has made me very uncharitable.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, the pandemic is bringing out the authoritarian in me and it is quite troubling! I think being confined to quarters for a year has made me very uncharitable.

It's fine to vent about, but it sounds like you are close to "yelling at strangers" level of rage. Which should really be targetted at arseholes in charge, not someone whose already suffering.

Sorry, was rude.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 7, 2021

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, holy poo poo

I'm looking, but they appear to have forgotten the horse's head in that article.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Work out why, it's fine to vent about, but it sounds like you are close to "yelling at strangers" level of rage. Which should really be targetted at arseholes in charge, not someone whose already suffering.

No no I just silently fantasise about them experiencing some extremely damaging but nonetheless comedic accident instead, like slipping on a banana peel or whatever.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ThomasPaine posted:

On the one hand I'm sure if you have claustrophobia or anxiety it might be deeply unpleasant to wear a mask but then on the other grow up and suck it up for the three minutes it takes, seriously, it's a pandemic, the collective good takes priority over your comfort.

This isn't how anything works you dipshit.

Technically I have three conditions making me exempt from masks but lol I can just make my own masks bypassing each condition. At the cost of filtering efficiency but hey.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Walking round Morrisons today there was a gentleman ranting at his wife about "seven loving Chinese all in a row down that aisle".
I don't think it's uncharitable to assume he didn't bother to confirm whether they were a family or a queue.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Josef bugman posted:

It's fine to vent about, but it sounds like you are close to "yelling at strangers" level of rage. Which should really be targetted at arseholes in charge, not someone whose already suffering.

Sorry, was rude.

You should have been ruder.

You can't just overcome those disorders based on strangers yelling at you.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ThomasPaine posted:

yeah you have absolutely no experience dealing with trauma serious anxiety or phobias do you?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

Walking round Morrisons today there was a gentleman ranting at his wife about "seven loving Chinese all in a row down that aisle".
I don't think it's uncharitable to assume he didn't bother to confirm whether they were a family or a queue.

This is the worst version of ten green bottles I've ever heard

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Rumda posted:

yeah you have absolutely no experience dealing with trauma serious anxiety or phobias do you?

Nope, which honestly is why I'm venting my frustrations on the internet rather than actually yelling at strangers. I'm very aware that I am likely being unfair or irrational. I'm just so loving tired of all of this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Nope, which honestly is why I'm venting my frustrations on the internet rather than actually yelling at strangers. I'm very aware that I am likely being unfair or irrational. I'm just so loving tired of all of this.

Being tired of [the situation] is okay, but it's still very based in the idea that disability is something you can just "turn off" as long as it isn't losing a limb.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

If people with anxiety or phobias could "just grow up and deal with it", they would do. Acting as if mentally ill people are just doing it on purpose to annoy you is really unpleasant for all mentally ill people, and another barrier to have to deal with.

"I can't see your problem, therefore you don't have one. We find you fit for work."

(Happily, my own anxiety doesn't include claustrophobia, and I'm quite happy to wear a mask, but I get really annoyed by people saying that phobias or trauma triggers are made up)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Alright alright point taken lads, I'll wind my head in

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's ok to vent, provided it's with people you're willing to be wrong in front of.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I'm wrong about 95% of things honestly, on account of being extremely dumb

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, holy poo poo

Same energy.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm wrong about 95% of things honestly, on account of being extremely dumb

including calling us all lads

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

MikeCrotch posted:

The Venn diagram of people demanding claps and people who use the story of people refusing to be the first to stop clapping after a Stalin speech is a circle

That's not how Venn diagrams work.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NHS pay-rise demo organiser fined £10,000 in Manchester

ah brilliant, covid fines for protests against the nhs miserly pay rise

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I was waiting for this post

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Rumda posted:

Lads is a gender neutral term and I will not be backing down on this one

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Lord of the Llamas posted:

edit does imgur not allow image linking anymore?

https://imgur.com/a/W2H4vNI

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Rumda posted:

There comes a point where you're actively looking for things to get annoyed about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Everyone's been cooped up in their houses too long and we're all getting stressy. Better times are on the way: 21 million people have had their 1st vaccination shot and even 1 shot seems to reduce the risk of death or serious illness from Covid by 80% plus. Fingers crossed: in a few months time we'll all be sat in the pub talking about how poo poo the last year's been and how glad we are that it's over now.