Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve got a pair of wheels with the caps all marred up, it’ll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
What's the deal with 27.5+ tires? From what I gather it's a failed experiment that happened a few years ago. What didn't people like about them?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

feelix posted:

What's the deal with 27.5+ tires? From what I gather it's a failed experiment that happened a few years ago. What didn't people like about them?

The weight/drag basically.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My heavy rear end likes them on the hardtail. Also they just look big and meaty and cool without being full fatbike. They're hard to get tire pressures just right.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hey North Carolina goons, do you have any places like Alafia that let you rent bikes at/near the trailhead?

I'm gonna be traveling through the Blue Ridge/Smokies area next week and want to take my girlfriend on some beginner-friendly trails, but I'm struggling to find any places that make it simple for those not bringing their own bikes. So far the best I've found is renting bikes in Bryson City and then using their racks to haul them twenty minutes over to Tsali.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

feelix posted:

That and now you can get 29x2.6 so it's not far off. If I were to get a hardtail it would probably be a 27.5+ though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

29+ 4 lyfe :colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
27.5+ is fun if you ride sandy stuff but still want to feel nimble. 29+ is great for bikepacking but feels way too clunky for trails. 29x2.6 is a happy medium and I've really like my Maxxis Ikons in that size.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Even Marin realized 27.5+ was a dying platform and redid their trekking hard tail as a 29*2.6. Salsa and Surly will most likely continue offering 27.5+ as a build option for a few years but the writing is on the wall for the + platform.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’ll stick around as a niche thing like 650b being popular with gravel stuff I suspect.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

27.5+ is fun if you ride sandy stuff but still want to feel nimble.

This. I regularly ride in a super sandy area and they are great.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

feelix posted:

They're nice on a rigid bike if you have luggage.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I run 27.5x3" studded tires on my hardtail as a fatbike replacement and it works great for our typically icy winters. During the warmer months I run fast-ish 27.5x2.8" tires (Bontrager XR2) which I also like.

I have ridden a plus bike with more aggressive tires and that is where they start to get too heavy and slow for my liking. If I need a DHF/DHR or similar for grip then I'm not super interested in using plus tires. I think this is ultimately the market where they failed. For more aggressive riding, the heavier casings/treads start to get pretty heavy and the extra volume can get a bit squirmy.

I use my hardtail for lots of random stuff like bikepacking, riding rail trails when I don't feel like using the gravel bike/want suspension, and general loving around. I really like plus tires for those use cases.

Chameleon in the snow:

I finally have a Mezzer on the way for my Ripmo. Very excited to play with a new fork. Time to retire my very disappointing MRP Ribbon.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Plus tires aren’t great if you’re leaning the bike over and cornering hard. Lots of weird flex makes them handle strangely. I think they are a good option for hard tails if you aren’t pushing very hard. It was an attempt at selling more bikes without having to redesign frames since they’re effectively at 29er in diameter.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
Some friends have been bugging me to get into this sport for a few years but I've resisted because I didn't have enough time to justify the steep entry price. My schedule is finally clearing up so I pulled the trigger on a specialized fuse when it came in stock near me randomly about a month ago. Been reading the thread so I have my bike, pedals, gloves, helmet, bike rack for the car... what do people wear for clothes?

I'm reading there are mountain bike specific shorts and jerseys. Jersey seems less important with tech shirts but what are thoughts on shorts? The length and stretchiness make it seem like a worthwhile accessory. Confused about if I need a liner or not though. I have cycling shorts from road biking. Do people go liner free shorts plus cycling shorts? Or just get shorts with a liner? Or do you not need a liner at all? If not, what do you wear underneath?

I live in the northeast and rides will probably be 2 hours +/- of some combination of XC and all mountain.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Homers BBBq posted:

Some friends have been bugging me to get into this sport for a few years but I've resisted because I didn't have enough time to justify the steep entry price. My schedule is finally clearing up so I pulled the trigger on a specialized fuse when it came in stock near me randomly about a month ago. Been reading the thread so I have my bike, pedals, gloves, helmet, bike rack for the car... what do people wear for clothes?

I'm reading there are mountain bike specific shorts and jerseys. Jersey seems less important with tech shirts but what are thoughts on shorts? The length and stretchiness make it seem like a worthwhile accessory. Confused about if I need a liner or not though. I have cycling shorts from road biking. Do people go liner free shorts plus cycling shorts? Or just get shorts with a liner? Or do you not need a liner at all? If not, what do you wear underneath?

I live in the northeast and rides will probably be 2 hours +/- of some combination of XC and all mountain.

You're more or less right that if you already have comfortable, breathable shirts, you're pretty much getting the benefit of a jersey with the exception of some niche features on some jerseys like a microfiber spot to wipe your goggles with (you won't need goggles outside of DH or wet fast rides) or being able to zip up/down when you get hot.

The liner is something you'll want, you can go for a bib + unlined shorts, or shorts with a padded liner. These liners are generally called chamois, whether they're padded or not. Using a bib + unlined shorts combo is more popular with XC/road people and using a padded liner + shorts is more popular for some reason with the more aggressive riding disciplines like enduro or downhill.

Many people just buy their shorts from whatever is discounted on chainreactioncycles. I'd suggest trying some on at a local bike shop and finding some that you're really going to want to wear. Get shorts with secure zipped pockets for your keys/phone while riding. Little rectangular pockets in bike shorts are generally for bike park passes. I can comfortably recommend any shorts by Fox or Troy Lee Designs as being good quality. Welcome to the sport!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When it comes to your phone and keys when riding MTB the pocket you put it in should also be chosen based on how likely you are to land on them if you crash.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Homers BBBq posted:

I prefer separate liners and shorts. Sometimes I ride with liner bibs (super long rides), sometimes liner knickers (cold rides), sometimes liner shorts (quick after work rides) so I like to mix and match. Best use case for jerseys is if you want the rear pockets for stashing stuff but most people I know just wear merino or some sort of poly tech t shirt. A bunch of people I ride with just use a tech boxer but they must have an rear end of steel. I can never get that to work for me on the bumpy trails.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

funkymonks posted:

I prefer separate liners and shorts. Sometimes I ride with liner bibs (super long rides), sometimes liner knickers (cold rides), sometimes liner shorts (quick after work rides) so I like to mix and match. Best use case for jerseys is if you want the rear pockets for stashing stuff but most people I know just wear merino or some sort of poly tech t shirt. A bunch of people I ride with just use a tech boxer but they must have an rear end of steel. I can never get that to work for me on the bumpy trails.

This is how I roll as well, I don't own bibs though even though I know I probably should.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just ordered a new YT Jeffsy Core 2. Stoked to finally get a mountain bike. Supposedly it’s “in stock” we’ll see how quickly they can actually get it to me.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I found the endura boxers to be the most comfortable thing. I've tried bibs but never been a fan of the shoulder straps.

Also, anyone found that slathering your taint with vaseline works as well or better than any cycling specific product? It's not anti-bacterial and supposedly hard to wash out of clothes but i dont get saddle sores if i use it :shrug:

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 11, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hemale in pain posted:

I found the endura boxers to be the most comfortable thing. I've tried bibs but never been a fan of the shoulder straps.

Also, anyone found that slathering your taint with vaseline works as well or better than any cycling specific product? It's not anti-bacterial and supposedly hard to wash out of clothes but i dont get saddle sores if i use it :shrug:

I find Chamois Butt'r is cheap enough that I just use that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

rockcity posted:

Just ordered a new YT Jeffsy Core 2. Stoked to finally get a mountain bike. Supposedly it’s “in stock” we’ll see how quickly they can actually get it to me.

Nice! I've got a fairly old (2017) jeffsy now and it's been awesome.

I wear bib shorts under by MTB shorts and it's worked well for me, if you have bibs already from road cycling you might as well use them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Homers BBBq posted:

Sounds like everybody got you covered. My only recommendation is knee pads if you don't have them. Another personal fit thing so buy some online with free returns if you can't fit them in person.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Shorter, easier rides I'll go with some running shorts and a dry-fit style of shirt. Longer, bumpier rides will get me into my padded undershorts (like boxer briefs but with padding) under over my mtb shorts (velcro tabs and button area, zipper pockets) and a jersey on top. I wear gloves every ride, and hate when I forget them. I have a few different types of socks and go with what's appropriate for the amount of miles and temperature I need to deal with.

Glasses I've settled on Goodr as they're pretty cheap but they last a long time and the quality is much higher than you'd expect at the price point. I've only got one pair right now and they're too dark for wearing in the shade on anything but the brightest of days. I'll order more today and if anyone cares I'll report back.

If you ride in a place where trails are open in the rain, I recommend an Osprey hydration pack because they come with a built-in rain cover. Also put a rain jacket in your pack, because it sucks getting caught out in the rain without any protection.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 11, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Longer, bumpier rides will get me into my padded undershorts (like boxer briefs but with padding) over my mtb shorts

Imagining this and I love the look.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

Imagining this and I love the look.

Goddamn me and my editing skills.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Homers BBBq posted:

I really like a backpack for hydration and for storing my poo poo. I always have a small first aid kit, pump, multitool, bike tool, tire boot, and snacks with me this way and a convenient way to carry or store a layer. Also a convenient way to carry phonewalletkeys without them being weird in a pocket.

Wear your road shorts under MTB shorts. I just use my road bibs (and bibs are the best).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

Are you wearing a baselayer under the straps? i find the shoulder straps perfectly comfortable but only as long as i have something between them and my skin

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Nice! I've got a fairly old (2017) jeffsy now and it's been awesome.

Yeah, people seem to love them for the money, as long as nothing breaks. I guess warranty stuff can be an issue.

Now to order stuff to go tubeless and debate if I want to just go all black or get some loud rear end contrasting pedals.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I am planning the biggest stupidest road trip for as soon as I have my vaccine...does anyone think 16 IMBA epics is too much for one summer?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Are you wearing a baselayer under the straps? i find the shoulder straps perfectly comfortable but only as long as i have something between them and my skin

Yeah I've done that and it makes it better but still not great. I'll give in during winter and put one on in the very worst weather though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
today is officially nbd :toot:

Picking it up in 2 hours

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Car Hater posted:

I am planning the biggest stupidest road trip for as soon as I have my vaccine...does anyone think 16 IMBA epics is too much for one summer?

Nah, go for it. Did a few bike trips last summer and camped and honestly it felt pretty safe

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Levitate posted:

today is officially nbd :toot:

Picking it up in 2 hours

what bike?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

snip

Levitate fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 1, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

yoooooooooooooooooooooo

are you sure that seatpost isn’t too high

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

only one way to find out

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

only one way to find out

there is a particular location that is most appropriate for seat post height validation. we can see about getting you there once the snow melts