Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MikeCrotch posted:

No

I say folks but it's an adopted thing

Saying y'all or all y'all sounds like you are doing a bit so I don't do that

I feel this way about any UK words. If the word has a british accent attached in a movie, I feel awkward saying it. I do enjoy ya'll though despite not sounding Texan either so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

personally I've taken to using rads as in comrades as an easy-to-filter-in-place replacement for lads

also helps with my life goal of bringing the term rad back into common popular parlance

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

y', ya, ye, but never youse.

On rare occasions 'ypack' but usually followed by 'of bastards'.

showera shite

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tesseraction posted:

personally I've taken to using rads as in comrades as an easy-to-filter-in-place replacement for lads

also helps with my life goal of bringing the term rad back into common popular parlance

https://i.imgur.com/6jj9Xal.mp4

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Like a Dragon indeed.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Also is it me, or is Labour's position of nobly arguing that in fact nurses should have a whopping 2.1% pay rise just weak as gently caress. Like, as a negotiating tactic, an extra 1.1% starting point is just pathetic.

the greatest labour leader we never had issued this corrective to ppl who thought rishi's budget was at all eating labour's lunch
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/john-mcdonnell-budget-2021-rishi-sunak-stole-words-banker-friends-895544

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

happyhippy posted:

Obviously not in all parts of the UK. So what do you call a mixed group in your area?
"You cunts" is gender neutral and appropriate to any situation. :can:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

"You cunts" is gender neutral and appropriate to any situation. :can:

I didn't think I was going to come in here tonight and see someone say "oval office is gender neutral, akshully".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh good, we're at this point in the UKMT ouroboros are we? See you all in a week or two when you've moved onto something else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
In fact I feel like I need to put a bit more substance into my last post. A lot of posters in this thread were *way* more aggressive in running off several perfectly good posters (including some really loving creepy helldumping in one case) for just *mentioning* they voted Kier Starmer - not even arguing after the fact it was a good choice, just saying (and even in one case *joking*) that they went against the groupthink in this most heinous way than they've ever been in attacking people claiming there is a religious basis to the child sex abuse cases in Rotherham, concern-trolling about the alt-right, or defending Luke loving Bozier.

Now we're into what is going to be YET ANOTHER - by my reckoning about the 10th - round of "<x> is gendered, it mustn't ever be used" which will inevitably generate into another bunch of bellowing at cross purposes for at least a couple of days without moving the needle one iota in any direction; there will no doubt be a very long argument over the word oval office, and I'm certain at least one completely earnest argument that a very obviously gendered word is in fact not gendered.

I'm just tired. There's no fun in this thread any more, it's getting more and more vicious, and some of the dullest people in the entire world are somehow creeping into every single page with literally nothing to say but because they've managed to latch onto the right side of an argument for once in their pointless existences they're going to post and post and post and post and post. It's become - like all leftist spaces tend to - just one long and sustained argument about the exact topology of the collective navel, rather than something that is even vaguely informative, entertaining, or even comradely.

And yes, talking of boring inevitability, this is probably about the twentieth time I've done a variation of this rant and flounced off. I will sneak back in at some point, possibly even later tonight, because nothing in this world ever really changes, let alone improves.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I didn't really expect anyone to take my post seriously, the can of worms referencing the many other times we've had that argument was supposed to be the clue. But I see that tempers are a little frayed this evening so maybe the joke was not well judged.

I usually prefer to use folks.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fact I feel like I need to put a bit more substance into my last post. A lot of posters in this thread were *way* more aggressive in running off several perfectly good posters (including some really loving creepy helldumping in one case) for just *mentioning* they voted Kier Starmer - not even arguing after the fact it was a good choice, just saying (and even in one case *joking*) that they went against the groupthink in this most heinous way than they've ever been in attacking people claiming there is a religious basis to the child sex abuse cases in Rotherham, concern-trolling about the alt-right, or defending Luke loving Bozier.

Now we're into what is going to be YET ANOTHER - by my reckoning about the 10th - round of "<x> is gendered, it mustn't ever be used" which will inevitably generate into another bunch of bellowing at cross purposes for at least a couple of days without moving the needle one iota in any direction; there will no doubt be a very long argument over the word oval office, and I'm certain at least one completely earnest argument that a very obviously gendered word is in fact not gendered.

I'm just tired. There's no fun in this thread any more, it's getting more and more vicious, and some of the dullest people in the entire world are somehow creeping into every single page with literally nothing to say but because they've managed to latch onto the right side of an argument for once in their pointless existences they're going to post and post and post and post and post. It's become - like all leftist spaces tend to - just one long and sustained argument about the exact topology of the collective navel, rather than something that is even vaguely informative, entertaining, or even comradely.

And yes, talking of boring inevitability, this is probably about the twentieth time I've done a variation of this rant and flounced off. I will sneak back in at some point, possibly even later tonight, because nothing in this world ever really changes, let alone improves.

well sorry if you think trying to stop the constant microaggressions and constant misgendering is boring, maybe people should just stop doing them then

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rumda posted:

well sorry if you think trying to stop the constant microaggressions and constant misgendering is boring, maybe people should just stop doing them then

Did I say that? Did I even *hint* that?

Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fact I feel like I need to put a bit more substance into my last post. A lot of posters in this thread were *way* more aggressive in running off several perfectly good posters (including some really loving creepy helldumping in one case) for just *mentioning* they voted Kier Starmer

Gonna be honest the hostility to this, like even before Starmer had a chance to gently caress it (even if it was inevitable), was a little bit surprising. Part of why I went "well this thread is going into a deep hole" and peaced out for a while.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Rumda posted:

lol wtf this is twisto you weapon.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Who are you complaining about?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Tbh I'm mainly here for the monster munch chat

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I suppose on reflection I can see how using 'lads' could be hurtful to a trans person but I am genuinely not lying when I say me and my friends, many of them women, use it frequently to refer collectively to each other and other mixed groups and no one has ever indicated that it makes them uncomfortable in the least. Clearly it started as a specifically gendered term but I always think of it like 'guys' now. It feels like something that probably has different coding between different social groups though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did I say that? Did I even *hint* that?

Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point though.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

this all started with me not wanting to be called a lad what the hell else did you expect me to make of this

ThomasPaine posted:

I suppose on reflection I can see how using 'lads' could be hurtful to a trans person but I am genuinely not lying when I say me and my friends, many of them women, use it frequently to refer collectively to each other and other mixed groups and no one has ever indicated that it makes them uncomfortable in the least. Clearly it started as a specifically gendered term but I always think of it like 'guys' now. It feels like something that probably has different coding between different social groups though.

and the correct response to being corrected is not to double down with "well I'm not going to stop using it because I see it as gender neutral"

Rumda fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 7, 2021

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
Thread's moved on but the anxiety and autism exceptions for masks is funny because not having to appropriate human facial expressions combined with most people adjusting their personal space radius to my natural levels because of social distancing means this is probably the comfiest I've ever been in public. Obviously that stuff affects everyone differently but the huge disparity is interesting.

I mostly use folks when addressing groups but fervently believe that anybody spelling it with an x should be treated with the utmost suspicion.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rumda posted:

this all started with me not wanting to be called a lad what the hell else did you expect me to make of this

I'm pretty confident that Twisto was specifically referring to my shitpost about oval office being gender neutral and the tedious argument that usually leads to. Please direct your complaints to me, a bad poster - we're not so overrun with actually good and interesting posters that we need to try and drive them out.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

big scary monsters posted:

I'm pretty confident that Twisto was specifically referring to my shitpost about oval office being gender neutral and the tedious argument that usually leads to. Please direct your complaints to me, a bad poster - we're not so overrun with actually good and interesting posters that we need to try and drive them out.

and if he confirms this then I will apologise for being overly defensive but given I was attacked in this very thread for quoting a post too soon just yesterday then you'll forgive me for thinking that when a cis guy starts moaning about people complaining about gendered terms they are complaining about what started the conversation not a joke made apart way into it.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

blues thief posted:

Thread's moved on but the anxiety and autism exceptions for masks is funny because not having to appropriate human facial expressions combined with most people adjusting their personal space radius to my natural levels because of social distancing means this is probably the comfiest I've ever been in public. Obviously that stuff affects everyone differently but the huge disparity is interesting.

I have to say, hoodie, mask, headphones for podcasts, and a written shopping list, I have literally never been happier to take a trip to Asda for the weekly shop. The fact that the shelves are often half bare, and various options just flat missing is only a minor complaint.

I'd have assumed a few months of this now, where its pretty clearly brexit related, people would start to notice/complain but maybe I'm just looking for things that aren't there? (It's the German ham, it's literally not there)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Between my headphones and the mask steaming up my glasses going shopping is now a sensory depravation experience and I hate it.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Requoting this.

Also if you can't be arsed to watch the video:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/07/royal-commentators-hoaxed-into-critique-of-meghan-interview-before-seeing-it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Was there anyone with half a brain that didn't think that "royal experts" were just people with too much time on their hands, a tarot deck, and a bunch of lovely ideas because obviously they're monarchists?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I won't call you or anyone else one of the lads if you don't want to be called one of the lads, op, but let's not pretend you're the arbiter of correct English usage. It's hardly controversial to say the same word can carry dramatically different connotations to different people and evolve over time, and that's not a value judgement. I can guarantee that if anyone ever suggested to me that the way I referred to them caused discomfort I would stop using the words in question right away!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i don't like the queen, i think she is a horrible old bag tbh

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lmao

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I legit cannot wait for this interview. Imagine if Meghan just outright says 'I didn't want to raise my kids around a guy who's almost certainly a paedophile' lmaoooo. Could be spicy.

It could also be a total car crash though :downs:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be surprised if there was anything actually controversial in it rather than just a bunch of rich people minor slights that give the british press conniptions.

But I suppose there's always hope.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jakabite posted:

total car crash

:thunk:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Was there anyone with half a brain that didn't think that "royal experts" were just people with too much time on their hands, a tarot deck, and a bunch of lovely ideas because obviously they're monarchists?

Gibbo and the lads are the only royal experts I trust.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ThomasPaine posted:

I won't call you or anyone else one of the lads if you don't want to be called one of the lads, op, but let's not pretend you're the arbiter of correct English usage. It's hardly controversial to say the same word can carry dramatically different connotations to different people and evolve over time, and that's not a value judgement. I can guarantee that if anyone ever suggested to me that the way I referred to them caused discomfort I would stop using the words in question right away!

yes but i am the arbiter of what words to use to refer to me and you can't just say well its gender neutral to me saying not to call me that

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no fun in this thread any more, it's getting more and more vicious, and some of the dullest people in the entire world are somehow creeping into every single page with literally nothing to say but because they've managed to latch onto the right side of an argument for once in their pointless existences they're going to post and post and post and post and post. It's become - like all leftist spaces tend to - just one long and sustained argument about the exact topology of the collective navel, rather than something that is even vaguely informative, entertaining, or even comradely.

The way I've got through this is reasoning that left wing spaces are about having the freedom to collectively question our way towards a better world, which inevitably means disagreements. Bickering is praxis.
The treatment of some posters about their votes for Starmer was rotten. A lot of people were hurting badly after Corbyn's downfall and probably lashing out? The thread does seem a bit more welcoming to newcomers since then though, even as the left wing UK politics scene that drives a lot of the content is going through a bit of a nadir.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I find that lefty spaces tend to be approximately as full of arseholes of all stripes, on average, as any other random grouping of people.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

quote:

Dickie Arbiter said that the approach from Beneath the Fold, the name of the false media company, “alleged to be a legitimate invitation for a fast turnaround, pre-recorded interview commissioned by a UK network, to be aired on Monday 8 March 2021.

I love this. So eager to get money/face on TV that he didn't even spend a microsecond researching the company. "Do you have a website, or, a wikipedia entry?" Nope, just instantly into let me tell you what to think.

The rest about "taken out of context" is so clearly bullshit, but I'm still enjoying the utter lack of thought about this.

Unless being asked to comment on things you haven't seen happens all the time? And, hence didn't seem like a bonkers request?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I have to say, hoodie, mask, headphones for podcasts, and a written shopping list, I have literally never been happier to take a trip to Asda for the weekly shop. The fact that the shelves are often half bare, and various options just flat missing is only a minor complaint.

I'd have assumed a few months of this now, where its pretty clearly brexit related, people would start to notice/complain but maybe I'm just looking for things that aren't there? (It's the German ham, it's literally not there)

We have our own British ham, and as it voted for Brexit it's scarcely about to complain now.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

The thread does seem a bit more welcoming to newcomers since then though, even as the left wing UK politics scene that drives a lot of the content is going through a bit of a nadir.

I'd argue the opposite to be honest. The thread has been a very hostile place the last few months, with a few extremely aggressive people leading the charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Keir Starmer