Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I find it oddly relaxing to around forage x 4 while my guest kills everything. I should probably advance the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of curiosity, does a true "BP Battery" setup exist in this to the same degree as the Bravely Default 1 "everyone has the BP Revenge passive and a Red Mage poisons everyone every turn" setup? I don't necessarily need details because I'm only in chapter 2, but I'm curious if I have something like that to look forward to or if this game dialed back on that a bit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, does a true "BP Battery" setup exist in this to the same degree as the Bravely Default 1 "everyone has the BP Revenge passive and a Red Mage poisons everyone every turn" setup? I don't necessarily need details because I'm only in chapter 2, but I'm curious if I have something like that to look forward to or if this game dialed back on that a bit.

Not to the degree BD1 has but there is at least one fairly strong battery setup

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m very early on still but I really like this game. I love job systems

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had 3 10 battle chains in a row where Elvis got 0 JP and I just said gently caress it and burned a ton of orbs to get rare talent on him since he'd missed out on 5-6k JP in like 10-15 minutes. That class's trait is just awful.

Oh the other hand I got a 8 chain battles and the passive pay out proc'd on JP and it cannot feel better than that.

That's Gambling. It's the best. It's the worst.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ugh, confusion blows. I grouped up a bunch of enemies in the sewer area in Chapter 2. Was going on battle 10ish when my Mow Down user got countered with confuse and then RAN from the battle completely negating everything I had done. I had to take a little break after that one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is it just me, or does Spiritmaster's second specialty automatically cleanse off your own Regen and Reraise effects?

That's up there with the Berserker's anti-control ability making it impossible for you to become berserk.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Is it just me, or does Spiritmaster's second specialty automatically cleanse off your own Regen and Reraise effects?

That's up there with the Berserker's anti-control ability making it impossible for you to become berserk.

Yes, it' sucks a lot

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

"Hmm, think I'll try cutting this bush in this cemetary and see if I get an item--"
*screen blurs, boss music starts*
*two party members dead before I have a chance to act*
:wth:

stev posted:

Lmao the story just forced me to run away from the beefcake at the beginning of chapter 2 but I was quite easily smashing the poo poo out of him.

Same thing happened to me, I had the sidekick monster down and he was down to half health, if I had another turn I could have killed them both. on my next playthrough I wanna try just grinding everyone to level 99 before the scripted chapter 1 battle and see if I can break the scripts.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah that's definitely weird. I guess the Basuna spirit is wiping it out. I never noticed because I never bothered casting Regen once at level 12, although it sucks Reraise gets wiped (even though I just ran white mage as the sub for Arise anyway). Its also a little confusing since there's not really any reason for Basunabringer and Purebringer to be active at the same time, and it also has the knockon effect of disabling Beserk.

The job itself is still insanely good though lol - the passive HP/MP regen and status clears make your whole team really tanky.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Godspeed Strike is some bonkers poo poo. Literally did over 6000 damage total against a boss with 17k HP.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minor Chapter 1 spoilers: any tips for a yung hitta trying to beat Shirley in BnD

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Place your Orpheus card first and drop it in a corner because it'll weaken a few of hers and if she can't flank it I don't think her ai will try to clear it. I also remember running Bard at the time and though I can't remember if it's effect actually came into play I think it helps.

Also drop Gambler or Shirley from your deck if you're using them because they're bad cards.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I have to admit Gambler seems almost certain to make things much worse for me every time I drop it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have found a battery strat that rivals what you were able to do in BD1.

This entails jobs from chapter 4.

Get a white mage and give it the weakest axe you have. This should tank your White Mage's accuracy. Equip armour to maximise evasion on your white mage, whilst minimising accuracy gains.

Equip your White Mage with Indiscriminate Rage from Berserker 11. This allows your White Mage to attack all targets with normal attacks in battle.

Equip all your characters with Turn Tables from Phantom 9. This gives a BP every time you evade an attack.

Get a Bard at level 7 minimum and at the beginning of a fight use Right Through Your Fingers with a quad brave. This will amp your evasion to around 32% if you've got the bard passive that amplifies songs.

Have your white mage quad Brave your entire party with an auto attack. It should miss almost every time, generating 4 BP for all your party members, which takes your white mage back and bard out of BP deficit and gives you other two characters 3 BP.

Continue on with 9 BP generated per turn ensuring that you maintain Right Through Your Fingers.

You can enhance this further and make it more reliable by giving your White Mage swordmaster as a sub job to gain Solid Stance at level 1 and double your attacks

I've not had much chance to test it but if there are people who are deep into the game and want to give it a go, give me a yell with the results!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty much 100% sure now that getting enemies to low HP makes it easier to steal from them. The only time I can reliably steal with a 4-turn brave chain of Steals is when a mob is at 1 HP from one of the Beastmaster's skills.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
So I'm seeing the similarities between Gloria and Agnes, but Gloria just seems much more... idk, assured? Still kind, bit less nice? Like, I remember Agnes being a lot more hesitant even in Bravely Second

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gloria would absolutely kill a baby if a magic rock asked her to. (don't spoil me if this actually happens)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah that's definitely weird. I guess the Basuna spirit is wiping it out. I never noticed because I never bothered casting Regen once at level 12, although it sucks Reraise gets wiped (even though I just ran white mage as the sub for Arise anyway). Its also a little confusing since there's not really any reason for Basunabringer and Purebringer to be active at the same time, and it also has the knockon effect of disabling Beserk.

The job itself is still insanely good though lol - the passive HP/MP regen and status clears make your whole team really tanky.

Spiritmaster is one of those jobs where you will occasionally want it to be a main job, and occasionally not want it to be a main job. Starting out a battle with all those buffs in place is fantastic for short fights, and even sometimes fantastic for longer fights where buffing is difficult or even disadvantageous. On the other hand, sometimes you want to be able to put reraise and regen into place and are content with just one spirit at a time, and for that situation it's best to make it a sub job.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I ended up killing one of the world rares that I was initially just going to attempt to steal something from (and then Flee). After using a couple Godspeed Strikes I realized "maybe this is actually doable" and sure enough was able to win (though I never stole the equipment it had - I only succeeded in stealing a couple collectables). I was just barely able to heal through the damage it (and the other mobs it summoned) did and used a ton of Ethers in the process.

It gave very good XP, but wasn't really worth the time (since I could have gotten more by using the same time doing "regular" grinding).

Dr_Gee posted:

So I'm seeing the similarities between Gloria and Agnes, but Gloria just seems much more... idk, assured? Still kind, bit less nice? Like, I remember Agnes being a lot more hesitant even in Bravely Second

Yeah there's a pretty big difference with the cast in general. Seth also comes off as more self-assured than Tiz. In general the cast feels older than the Bravely Default 1 cast.

Elvis and Adelle are great, with Adelle being the best party member. Her Japanese VA is great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fadam posted:

Minor Chapter 1 spoilers: any tips for a yung hitta trying to beat Shirley in BnD

I've been smashing all opponents so far with these cards that can be obtained from C-rankers
Killer Ant
Wolf (alternately, Flannacotta)
Gelaflan
Vespa
Orc
Horten

Use Gelaflan and Killer Ant to take one / both of the top corners, use Horten to capture opponent squares (since instead of wiping out squares you neutralize, it turns them to your color instead), and use the others to fill in the gaps to make big blocks up against the edges of the board so you can't get flanked, or to flank opponent squares.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also regarding that job is it even worth using? Half of it's list is 'kills yourself' and after meteor or whatever did like 300 damage it just seems like giga poo poo.

Reflect or stacking resistances make it work rather well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I run at 2x speed because 4x speed gives me a headache. But yes I know all of the above. The important thing to note is, if you just play the game without grinding then enemies will never get to the point that they run away from you in level appropriate dungeons. So you end up fighting everything and even with fights lasting 30 seconds dungeons are long as sin.

Just did a fairly unscientific test on a late game fight with unskippable intro cutscenes. My characters ended the fight in 8 actions (2 characters took 4 actions with short animation times - late game job spoilers Minus Strike targeting all, 3x mimic).

From touching the enemy to first input took ~20 seconds (again, this was unskippable, an ordinary fight would have cut this down to ~10 seconds or so)

Speed 4 took ~13 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Speed 2 took ~30 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Of course, counterattacks are going to majorly impact this as well.

I'm not trying to discount your experience, but I do want to point out to other people in the thread that much of your concern with dungeons taking forever is self-imposed. Speed 2 is extremely slow, and even when I'm fighting a boss where I want to know every action/counter that they do, I put it at speed 3.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LostRook posted:

Reflect or stacking resistances make it work rather well.

Shieldmaster will also intercept Arcanist self-damage if the Arcanist is in critical.

This will fuel all of Shieldmaster's special bullshit for intercepting damage for the party so they can keep making GBS threads out BP and MP on demand.

It is hilarious.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I'm like 40 hours in the game by now but is there no way to change the map character?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

Just did a fairly unscientific test on a late game fight with unskippable intro cutscenes. My characters ended the fight in 8 actions (2 characters took 4 actions with short animation times - late game job spoilers Minus Strike targeting all, 3x mimic).

From touching the enemy to first input took ~20 seconds (again, this was unskippable, an ordinary fight would have cut this down to ~10 seconds or so)

Speed 4 took ~13 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Speed 2 took ~30 seconds to kill all enemies by hitting Y and then A

Of course, counterattacks are going to majorly impact this as well.

I'm not trying to discount your experience, but I do want to point out to other people in the thread that much of your concern with dungeons taking forever is self-imposed. Speed 2 is extremely slow, and even when I'm fighting a boss where I want to know every action/counter that they do, I put it at speed 3.

I appreciate that.

Deep in I'm built perfectly to sweep everything in autos. I did the ch5 final dungeon and timed it to you guessed it, two hours, thirty minutes per segment. But that was honestly a much much better dungeon overall because of how it's split.

It's a difference in philosophy on these games. The fact that these games have tools to bypass the issues I'm having is great. The difficulty slider is to be lauded and even though I don't like the removal of the encounter slider, ward light is a decent substitution. The same can be said of the encounter speed alteration.

But to me if I'm examining a game I need to look at the base experience of what that game looks like absent those. It seems really bizarre that the argument is that I'm playing the game wrong by not running encounters at 4x speed with a build that perfectly sweeps them. Often where I wasn't perfect sweeping for example, I was in a transition period where a lot of my dudes were in jobs to just get JP.

I feel like the game should have its encounter rate/experience/jp curve around the idea that encounters should be meaningful, you shouldn't want to oneround everything and storm through at 4x speed and it's a mark against the game, in my view, that that's the expectation. That's the place that my criticism about pacing is coming from.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When you all talk about Berserker/Monk you mean a Berserker with Monk as the sub job and bare-knuckle brawler? Or do you keep a weapon on them?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Either way is fine. Depending on the weapons you have available you might have higher attack with a weapon, but a bare-handed brawler will be significantly speedier since they'll be carrying a lot less weight.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When you all talk about Berserker/Monk you mean a Berserker with Monk as the sub job and bare-knuckle brawler? Or do you keep a weapon on them?

go with whatever has the higher attack power for you, axes get better after a point and there is an ability that makes weapon use better later as well

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

go with whatever has the higher attack power for you, axes get better after a point and there is an ability that makes weapon use better later as well

Eh my best axe is only slightly stronger than bare fists rn and the weight difference is huge

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

For me axes were slightly more damaging, but bare handed my characters are getting turns twice as fast. They act first, go negative BP with Pressure Point, and still get another turn before everyone else most of the time. Absolutely bonkers.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ragequit posted:

For me axes were slightly more damaging, but bare handed my characters are getting turns twice as fast. They act first, go negative BP with Pressure Point, and still get another turn before everyone else most of the time. Absolutely bonkers.

if you're going BP negative, you have yet to fully unlock the power of Monkzerker...

but honestly as of beginning Chapter 4, I've dropped Monk because Amped Strike and Leveled Slash is crushing with Bard buffs

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you miss katanas, greatswords and guns from Bravely Second? As well as Staves and Rods being separate?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I appreciate that.

Deep in I'm built perfectly to sweep everything in autos. I did the ch5 final dungeon and timed it to you guessed it, two hours, thirty minutes per segment. But that was honestly a much much better dungeon overall because of how it's split.

It's a difference in philosophy on these games. The fact that these games have tools to bypass the issues I'm having is great. The difficulty slider is to be lauded and even though I don't like the removal of the encounter slider, ward light is a decent substitution. The same can be said of the encounter speed alteration.

But to me if I'm examining a game I need to look at the base experience of what that game looks like absent those. It seems really bizarre that the argument is that I'm playing the game wrong by not running encounters at 4x speed with a build that perfectly sweeps them. Often where I wasn't perfect sweeping for example, I was in a transition period where a lot of my dudes were in jobs to just get JP.

I feel like the game should have its encounter rate/experience/jp curve around the idea that encounters should be meaningful, you shouldn't want to oneround everything and storm through at 4x speed and it's a mark against the game, in my view, that that's the expectation. That's the place that my criticism about pacing is coming from.

That's absolutely fair; there are games paced such that every encounter is meaningful, teaches you something (especially about the upcoming boss), and difficult.

In my opinion, the Bravely series really isn't about that though; the design goal seems to be typically to come up with a way to splatter the encounters across the walls quickly and easily (being able to Brave x 4 makes for a hell of an alpha strike), and the challenge is in chaining fights together (since that limits your alpha strikes substantially), farming efficiently, killing bosses, and killing rare monsters. Breaking the power curve of the game is very much expected. For the most part, I think a lot of players play the first few encounters with new enemies a little slower to swap out passives and active abilities to kill them easily, and then speed everything up to sweep the regular encounters. Bosses and rare monsters are more tests of endurance and require a completely different approach to a normal fight. Adapting to those challenges, integrating new job abilities, and having fun with tweaking how you fight encounters is what makes me like these games.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Natural 20 posted:

It seems really bizarre that the argument is that I'm playing the game wrong by not running encounters at 4x speed with a build that perfectly sweeps them.

No, the argument is that this is why the dungeons are taking you two hours. If you find that to be a problem, use any of the number of available tools to ameliorate it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

No, the argument is that this is why the dungeons are taking you two hours. If you find that to be a problem, use any of the number of available tools to ameliorate it.

No hold on. The initial criticism I made was that the dungeons are badly paced and take too long. If the argument in response is "Just play perfectly on 4x speed," then I think I'm justified in what I've claimed.

Edit: Sorry that comes across a lot more hostile than I mean it to be. The tools that the game has to fix issues like this are great. But a great part of BD1 and 2 was how well they kept together under default settings and indeed it's true of some of the best RPGs I've played. I think these tools are excellent but aren't a substitute for genuine pacing.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 8, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Is there any way to increase infliction rates beyond (job/ability spoiler) the Phantom's level 12 specialty? especially one that's not a specialty because it's a pain in the rear end to combine them.

I feel like they were trying to lean on afflictions as a tool but holy poo poo it feels like they never land! There's a loading screen tip that says that it increases with level and magical attack, but...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I had my first boss wipe in a while, fighting the sword and spirit duo in chapter 3 because I killed the caster and then the other character, when they were almost dead, decided to burn 3 BP to merk half my group, then got another turn before anyone else and burned another 3 BP for another round of miltattack spam and the end result was my party going frok full hp to dead before anyone got to act.

So I responded by capturing 9 Astaroths, which you can fight right before the save point and just bombing the fuckers from orbit with Gloria and Adelle using the Pictomancer subjob bp skill and off the chaining those things since it meant each use was 5 hits for 2-3k a pop without any buffs/debuffs in play and I've never seen a boss counter beastmaster summons. The biggest issue with beastmaster is that you need to keep capturing stronger stuff because enemies from a few dungeons earlier, let alone a prior chapter, will fall off hard on their dmg potential.

Ojetor posted:

Either way is fine. Depending on the weapons you have available you might have higher attack with a weapon, but a bare-handed brawler will be significantly speedier since they'll be carrying a lot less weight.

Or tankier since to weapons meant that in ch2 I had Gloria wearing dark robes and a genji helm making her ridiculously durable while still putting out high damage.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Starting to think I am using Shieldmaster wrong. What does the order of operations look like? Usually I’m just spamming Defender of the People every time it is up, and sometimes I have 4 BP popping and other times I still have people dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Vanguard as a sub is good too if you're going heavy defense since you can force stuff to target you.