Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

This is it. This is why having one dimensional characters who fit into the binary of "good guy" and "bad guy" is so dull to read.
Rules for good guy: Will never, EVER really do anything bad. If they do, it wasn't on purpose.
Rules for bad guy: Will do literally anything bad, ever, as the plot requires.

There's no intrigue or nuance if a character who cackles as they leave the lights on in a room they're not using has the same potential for evil as a character who murders people from inside an ice cream truck. (sadly neither such character exists in Luann as it would require a new character design)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1CqCAc2fE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 3-7, 2000)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uuugghhh at the Domestication as Pride bs. But, it's at least a passing attempt at a competent story. Barely. Better than a lot of dreck in the comic pages at the time.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

'
Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 1, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 1, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 1, 1989)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set will be here when you get back.

Working Daze oh gently caress you.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix was fun while it lasted.

Cul De Sac is gearing up for quite the fantasy epic!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ok, I have something cool to share. But first:

Dykes to Watch Out For #128 (1992)

"In re Guardianship of Kowalski" was a landmark court case that ruled, after a long and arduous legal battle, that Sharon Kowalski's long-term partner Karen Thompson could be declared her legal guardian after Kowalski suffered serious physical and mental injuries in a 1983 car crash. Guardianship of Kowalski was initially granted to her father, who stripped visiting rights away from Thompson and did everything in his power to deny the pair's romantic relationship. Issues swirled around what legal rights could be extended to same-sex partners, and the ability of the mentally diminished Kowalski to consent to the terms of her care, but eventually-- nine years later!-- Thompson was named her guardian, with rights "tantamount to a spouse." This was a landmark decision in the long, bumpy road towards legal gay unions and eventually marriages, but it was a hard-won and extremely expensive victory for Thompson.

The stuff on the second page is a little close to home but is accurate for 1992 and scarily close to being accurate for the surprisingly recent past.

Next the return of Sam's Strip (3/9/1962)

And finally-- I just discovered, courtesy of drrockso20 over in the Touching/Moving Panels thread, that there was a short-lived Batman comic strip that debuted in the wake of the tremendously popular movie in 1989. This was kind of an all-star strip-- it was initially drawn by the legendary Batman artist Marshall Rogers and written by Max Allan Collins before shifting to William Messner-Loebs and Carmine Infantino. A stacked lineup by any definition. You may recognize Collins' name from his great Road to Perdition or his long stint on Dick Tracy. Messner-Loebs is a legend in his own right who I'll cover when we get to the creative turnover. The strip ran from 1989-1991 and looks very promising, so I want to give it a little trial run here. You'll hopefully be struck by how beautiful the art is right away-- that is a hell of a cityscape, perfectly sharp and moody. Please let me know if you'd like to continue seeing it! It does have kind of a slow start but let's see how things go?

Batman (11/6/1989)

Edit: I have skipped ahead and a little and oooh buddy, this comic eventually delivers on the kind of content this thread craves:

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 7, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/7/01

Brenda Starr 1/10-12/46

Huh, so that Veronica Lake-looking woman who's been hanging around for a couple months finally has a name.

Smokey Stover 10/22/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

WETA is the DC area's public radio station. They switched from classical to a news-and-talk format in 2005, but it didn't work out and they went back to classical a couple years later.

Bonus Ad! The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, being a Texas newspaper, has lots of ads for oil and gas companies. This one caught my eye because of how proudly it mentions that their new gas is leaded. Humble Oil was a division of Standard Oil of New Jersey ("Esso"), which later changed its name to Exxon in the 70s.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I feel like transparent-background versions of Luann and Bernice turning away in terror might come in handy for all kinds of future edits.

I might take a stab at it myself, but I have no particular skill at that sort of thing. So if I'm beaten to it by someone in the thread who actually knows what the hell they're doing, then so much the better. :)

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (March 10, 1990)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin Goes Wild West

That vacuum is just viscerally nostalgic for me, I remember reading/leafing through "The Book About Moomin, Mymble, and Little My" as a wee lil' tot so much.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i love this

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 1, 1999)

i also love this

How Wonderful! posted:

Ok, I have something cool to share. But first:

Dykes to Watch Out For #128 (1992)

"In re Guardianship of Kowalski" was a landmark court case that ruled, after a long and arduous legal battle, that Sharon Kowalski's long-term partner Karen Thompson could be declared her legal guardian after Kowalski suffered serious physical and mental injuries in a 1983 car crash. Guardianship of Kowalski was initially granted to her father, who stripped visiting rights away from Thompson and did everything in his power to deny the pair's romantic relationship. Issues swirled around what legal rights could be extended to same-sex partners, and the ability of the mentally diminished Kowalski to consent to the terms of her care, but eventually-- nine years later!-- Thompson was named her guardian, with rights "tantamount to a spouse." This was a landmark decision in the long, bumpy road towards legal gay unions and eventually marriages, but it was a hard-won and extremely expensive victory for Thompson.

The stuff on the second page is a little close to home but is accurate for 1992 and scarily close to being accurate for the surprisingly recent past.

Next the return of Sam's Strip (3/9/1962)

And finally-- I just discovered, courtesy of drrockso20 over in the Touching/Moving Panels thread, that there was a short-lived Batman comic strip that debuted in the wake of the tremendously popular movie in 1989. This was kind of an all-star strip-- it was initially drawn by the legendary Batman artist Marshall Rogers and written by Max Allan Collins before shifting to William Messner-Loebs and Carmine Infantino. A stacked lineup by any definition. You may recognize Collins' name from his great Road to Perdition or his long stint on Dick Tracy. Messner-Loebs is a legend in his own right who I'll cover when we get to the creative turnover. The strip ran from 1989-1991 and looks very promising, so I want to give it a little trial run here. You'll hopefully be struck by how beautiful the art is right away-- that is a hell of a cityscape, perfectly sharp and moody. Please let me know if you'd like to continue seeing it! It does have kind of a slow start but let's see how things go?

Batman (11/6/1989)

Edit: I have skipped ahead and a little and oooh buddy, this comic eventually delivers on the kind of content this thread craves:

and i love the rich educational experience you bring to this thread on a very regular basis!

That last panel of the riddler :allears:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Please let me know if you'd like to continue seeing it! It does have kind of a slow start but let's see how things go?

Yes, please, I would love to read more Batmans

Only one Junk Drawer this week. I hope Ellis isn't burning out. :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Lucky Ducky! :argh:

Bonus: I think I found out where that Mark Trail arc took place. :v:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

One day, Rob Liefeld would fall in love with Jenny in panels 3 and 4

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

How Wonderful! posted:

Even the present! In some countries which will be left unnamed but are shaped like a boot and were once ruled by the Romans, even though we they have the equivalent of gay marriage, two people of the same gender can't be parents of a kid. Only one mom and one dad allowed. This means that, if two people of the same gender are married and have kids (through adoption, AI, or in some other way), only one of them is the legal parent. And if that parent has an accident or something... Well, good loving luck.

quote:

Please let me know if you'd like to continue seeing it! It does have kind of a slow start but let's see how things go?

Please do! I'd love to see this strip in this thread!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

:haw:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Because of where my scroll landed I interpreted the second line of this comic as its own separate strip and it was amazing

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

No loitering please

B Kliban

Eskimos? Still so damned funny.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

reminds me of:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Modesty and Willie were uncharacteristically easy to grab in this story.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

So next week begins a fantasy where Rex is not a doctor?

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

How Wonderful! posted:

Batman (11/6/1989)

I mean, I was sold the moment I saw it was a Batman comic, a strange one that isn't well known, that looks amazing, and then you posted that Riddler one and I guess I'm super sold? Basically, yes, please, thank you!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

One day, Rob Liefeld would fall in love with Jenny in panels 3 and 4

I mean, it was 1940, getting those waist measurements down to single digits was just the thing to do.

I've actually got a pretty nice dentist and one of the few things I can thank my genetics for is good teeth, so I've never actually had dentist anxiety like some people do. Anyways, I love this one despite that.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 19th, 1940

Axa

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 10, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (March 5, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: It's been forever since I posted Robert L. Dickey's dogs.

(edit: ...To the point where I didn't recognize that was Warren B. Davis instead.)

(Don Herold Jr.)

(Gluyas Williams)

And because I'm pretending to take my responsibility to trolleys and powerful women seriously, here's a few more Toonerville Gap-Pluggers, this time for 1916. (All dates via the Richmond, VA paper.)

(September 5, 1916)

(September 19, 1916)

(November 18, 1916)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 8, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

(Gluyas Williams)
Okay, that's actually pretty sweet. :3:

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

M87* is actually 55 million light-years from Earth; if there was a supermassive black hole only 55 light-years away, we'd be, in one way or another, much more familiar with it!

ukonvasara fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 8, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

ukonvasara posted:

M87* is actually 55 million light-years from Earth; if there was a supermassive black hole only 55 light-years away, we'd be, in one way or another, much more familiar with it!

Yeah the terrible joke aside, that’s a really big fuckup.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Modesty and Willie were uncharacteristically easy to grab in this story.

It is kind of the Worf treatment this episode, isn't it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OK, finally put in the maximum effort, and got the rest of this last collection scanned this affternoon!

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 28, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 2, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 19, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 13, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 13, 1935)

Dark Laughter (October 22, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (December 7, 1947)

Those Were the Days (July 10, 1952)

Wee Pals (June 4, 1965)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what’s that bootsie say, i can’t make it out.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

nishi koichi posted:

what’s that bootsie say, i can’t make it out.

looks like "I know you're hidin' in there Bootsie an' I know you been sneaken food in. That's gonna cost you fifty cents...fer privileges."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This one's wonderfully sinister.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

davidspackage posted:

This one's wonderfully sinister.

It's great, isn't it? I'd almost expect it from a Twilight Zone episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's magnificent visual storytelling.

Family Circus

Rose is ROse

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro