Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Something about Control that's totally minor but still worth knowing: Assist Mode allows for a lot of things up to immortality, but you can actually still die from fall damage regardless of settings. Watch your step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
A few things for Persona 5 Strikers, since I didn't see a page on the wiki.

1) No recipe is missable; if you miss one, it will show up in the Shop later. Cooking is really useful and can create some very strong healing items.

2) You can leave a Jail at any time with the warp spots. You'll get a full HP/SP fill, and you can go shopping or do whatever, and it'll be okay. It's not like the RPG games where you're on a timer and you want to go the distance on your first time in the Jail. If you're running low on health or SP, you can get a free refill by sitting through a couple of loading screens. Days will only advance when you hit the appropriate point in the story.

3) Some Requests are missable, or you can advance the story past the point where you can do them. Generally, do Requests as they pop up, as their rewards are good, and certain ones are repeatable for items or money.

4) For the Bond skills, there are ones that increase Bond EXP gained, give back health and SP after a battle, regain HP upon ambushing an enemy, which are all handy to have. The cooking one is required for some recipes, while the lockpicking one opens locked chests with good loot in them, and skills that increase money, item drops, and Persona drops, which are all good to have. You don't get a lot of Bond points per level in the beginning, but by later levels, they're giving out large amounts, so you can save up easier.

5) Speaking of Bond EXP, from what I can tell, your dialog options won't give you any Bond EXP. Unlike the games, I think you can choose whatever response you want whenever you're talking to someone without the fear of not choosing the "right' one, like in the RPG games.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll add some more if anything else comes to mind.

Leave fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 7, 2021

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

A Bystander posted:

Something about Control that's totally minor but still worth knowing: Assist Mode allows for a lot of things up to immortality, but you can actually still die from fall damage regardless of settings. Watch your step.

Don't take your eyes off the fridge.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm on the cusp of finishing Yakuza 3 and this would have been good info about twenty hours ago. So much time time spent waiting for random thugs to stand up so I didn't waste a heat move stomping on them :gonk:

Any tips for the Uncharted series? I've had a free copy of 1-4 forever and installed it recently on an impulse.

For the Uncharted series don't play it like a cover shooter. If you do you will die, alot. The enemies in all four games are really good about flanking you, and love throwing grenades.

I almost gave up on Uncharted 1 way back in the day, until my then-roommate looked at me in and said "stop playing it like Gears of War, you are a modern-day Indiana Jones, so run around like a mad man and punch people in the face"

So yea, do what Indy would do. Run and shoot and don't be afraid to melee your enemies. Don't bother aiming unless an enemy is at a distance -Nate doesn't seem to be bothered by recoil at medium/close range. Take full advantage of verticality, hide in one spot just long enough to get your health recovered, ect. Also save your big guns for the guys in armor/shields. They will be especially lethal and irritating in 2/3.

Once you get to Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy there is more of a stealth component you can take advantage of, enemies have a hard time spotting you in tall grass, you can "spot" enemies, ect, which will mix up the gameplay a little bit

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

For the Uncharted series don't play it like a cover shooter. If you do you will die, alot. The enemies in all four games are really good about flanking you, and love throwing grenades.

I almost gave up on Uncharted 1 way back in the day, until my then-roommate looked at me in and said "stop playing it like Gears of War, you are a modern-day Indiana Jones, so run around like a mad man and punch people in the face"

So yea, do what Indy would do. Run and shoot and don't be afraid to melee your enemies. Don't bother aiming unless an enemy is at a distance -Nate doesn't seem to be bothered by recoil at medium/close range. Take full advantage of verticality, hide in one spot just long enough to get your health recovered, ect. Also save your big guns for the guys in armor/shields. They will be especially lethal and irritating in 2/3.

Once you get to Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy there is more of a stealth component you can take advantage of, enemies have a hard time spotting you in tall grass, you can "spot" enemies, ect, which will mix up the gameplay a little bit

All this, also, detach from cover and peek round corners manually rather than just hitting aim, on the highest difficulties at least.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I realized the page for SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions only has a tip from me when I was still figuring out how things work, so let me replace that with some better info

The game opens with a personality quiz and will suggest a starting character based on that, but if you'd rather decide for yourself the four characters are on a sliding scale of linearity. Balmaint's story is almost entirely linear, with very few opportunities to branch out from the main story. Urpina's story is linear in the first half, but opens up towards the end. Taria's story is a lot more open at the start, and Leonard's story is almost completely non-linear - the entire world map will open up right away, and his only mandatory quests can be finished in under an hour.

Like most SaGa games there's a hidden monster rank that determines how strong the enemies are, which goes up as you fight. It increases a lot slower when you're repeating fights you've already beaten, so grinding is fairly safe. That said, there's rubberbanding in both directions, with your characters growing faster when they're behind the monsters and slower when they're ahead, so grinding is mostly good for catching up a new character, or helping someone switch to a new weapon.

A character's base stats are fixed and will never grow.

The ingame tutorials are very thorough and have pretty much all the info you need about combat mechanics and character growth, including exactly what each stat does and what various monster types are weak to. You can check them at any time, including mid-battle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

juliuspringle posted:

Don't take your eyes off the fridge.
Thanks for the PTSD flashbacks.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Kanfy posted:

I know Rush exists in 0, I just wasn't sure if the Rush skill you unlock in Kiwami that lets you dodge out of combos was in 0 is all.
The skill (damage weaving) exists in 0, but I only unlocked it for the first time earlier today while doing some optional pre-finale training clean-up. I think it's late game enough to not worry about for a before-I-play tip.

The main thing is just that that getting stunlocked in a combo doesn't stop you from putting up a block, which helps game flow a ton since you can react and spend less time knocked down overall. I only mentioned the A button since for the first 2-3 chapters I was trying to mash dodge to get out of attack chains like a DMC or bayonetta, which doesn't work, so I assumed blocking wouldn't either but the game actually treats them differently. Eventually I did a late block and realized it still worked.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What should I know before playing the viking Assassin's Creed if I have never played any AC games before?

"Play [earlier game] instead" is potentially an accepted answer.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The Egyptian, Greek and Viking AC games are kind of their own genre compared to those before and all work as stand alone games. There is an entry on the wiki for Valhalla, IIRC.

But mostly they have good tutorials in game and don't have missable stuff, so just go play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Worth knowing is that the little 'snippet missions' (mysteries, I think it calls it) are by design short and nearly all should be possible to solve within 5 minutes without leaving the location. That's intentional, so if you feel like you can't find what it wants you to, it's definitely somewhere close and you won't need to travel somewhere else for it.

Personally, I think Odyssey the better game for a number of reasons and I'd recommend that one instead, but that's just me.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Organza Quiz posted:

What should I know before playing the viking Assassin's Creed if I have never played any AC games before?

"Play [earlier game] instead" is potentially an accepted answer.
You can go back to the starting zone whenever you want, so don't feel like you have to slog through the snow when the much more enjoyable main game zone will unlock soon.
In the main game zone, you will run into endgame bonus boss encounter areas that are far above the level of the zone. Rule of thumb: If the area seems super sinister, it is. Come back later.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
At the beginning of Valhalla, you'll be given an option to play as a male, female, or a third option that will change between them automatically at times as the story progresses. While the third option seems strange, it does end up making perfect sense. It does also mean that you spend the vast majority of the game playing as a female.

I would say if you want to play as a female, pick the switch option, but if you want to play as a male just choose male.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that third option is very misleading. It will switch the character to male in only one particular section of the game and at no other point. It's basically just picking the female option. Don't expect it to actually swap you around regularly, which is what a lot of people hoped it would do.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jokymi posted:

At the beginning of Valhalla, you'll be given an option to play as a male, female, or a third option that will change between them automatically at times as the story progresses. While the third option seems strange, it does end up making perfect sense. It does also mean that you spend the vast majority of the game playing as a female.

I would say if you want to play as a female, pick the switch option, but if you want to play as a male just choose male.

I got impatient with shrodinger's Eivor and just manually switched them to dude when I finished the first two viking pledges. So, understand it will take a ~while~ for the auto switch.

Unicorn boat is the only boat worth spending money on.

Progression feels fine, more consistent than Odyssey, extremely steady with little varience. The gating on upgrades is kinda wack.

Edit: I kinda dig the 3rd option being disengenuious to point people to the better performance. Like I get it, Cassandra was miles ahead of Alexios in the last game. But in this game either flavor of Eivor seems around the same.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 8, 2021

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, a bit more of Persona 5 Strikers advice, each character has four Master Arts to learn, and to learn those, you actually need to play as that character. Some of these skills can let characters use their guns without spending ammo or add follow-up attacks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

While Kassandra was miles ahead of Alexios, I actually prefer Heivor to Sheivor.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Important addendum to the Valheim entry:

Damage types make a huge difference once you reach the mid-game, to the point that some bosses are effectively immune to some weapons. It's fine to have a main weapon skill, but experiment with piercing/blunt/fire/frost etc.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bedurndurn posted:

You can also turn on 'pause at the campfire' in the options menu.

For me this was essential, not just because I'm a big idiot who always forgets to check out at the campfire but also because the pause happens before you fight the boss. This means that, contrary to appearances, you can still leave without sacrificing resources even after the boss spawns on top of your campfire.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Any tips for Loop Hero?

The single most important thing to consider is what cards you bring. Cards that are good for one class are usually bad for another, and bringing cards that are detrimental or cards you don't actually need will make you weaker overall by either making the loop unnecessarily difficult or diluting your deck so the good cards come out less often.

Watchtowers are way stronger than you might expect and let you build a killbox around your campfire which really helps in the early stages of an expedition. Build all four and upgrade them to at least level 2 as soon as you can.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The thing that annoys me the most is that in the Build menu I can see I need 6 indistinct-pixelly-blobs to build the next building, but unlike every other time those blobs appear I can't mouse over them to see what they're called.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Just started Jenny LeClue on Apple Arcade, and I’m wondering: is it possible to permanently miss things? Like clues or collectibles or whatever.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Just started Jenny LeClue on Apple Arcade, and I’m wondering: is it possible to permanently miss things? Like clues or collectibles or whatever.

There's a chapter replay option, so no, though the time it takes to walk and talk through again might make you want to look up a guide, depending on your time and desire for collectables.

So I guess

Jenny LeClue Detectivu

- You can replay chapters for collectables and such. So just play. Or look up a collectable guide if you really want 100% with no wasted time.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Tylana posted:

There's a chapter replay option, so no, though the time it takes to walk and talk through again might make you want to look up a guide, depending on your time and desire for collectables.

So I guess

Jenny LeClue Detectivu

- You can replay chapters for collectables and such. So just play. Or look up a collectable guide if you really want 100% with no wasted time.

Thank you. I got the “are you SURE you want to leave?” message in the first room and was immediately unhappy.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Something I stumbled across entirely by accident on Loop Hero, but which seems super important:

- Once you spawn the chapter boss, the Hero will still hit the camp before you engage the boss. This means that not only will camp-specific abilities trigger, but you can still retreat from the expedition with 100% of your haul without fighting the boss if you accidentally fill the boss gauge and don't feel confident you can win. (Hold left-click on the retreat icon in the bottom right of the map window until the gears engage and it will trigger a retreat message when you hit the camp tile.)

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone explain how far I should follow the Just Cause 4 story missions before I can start messing around?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wanna get into rear end Creed and its silly plot. But goddamn there's a lot of games. Which games are most important to understand the deep lore?

Do I need all the Ezio games? I don't like tower defense stuff and my GF says she skipped Revelations without a problem.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Ezio games and Black Flag are generally considered the best of the original series of games. The Ezio games are all good, even Revelations - you only have to do the tower defense thing once and then never again, it's fully optional. The rest of the game is perfectly fine and Ezio is the most likable and entertaining protagonist of the entire series, which is why he gets three games and nobody else does.

I would start with Asscreed 2 and then keep going from there. AC1 and AC3 are both skippable and uninteresting. Syndicate is also good and I think it was the last 'proper' Asscreed game made before they switched to an action RPG format with Origins.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

NikkolasKing posted:

Do I need all the Ezio games? I don't like tower defense stuff and my GF says she skipped Revelations without a problem.

I'm no AssCreed expert but I would say first play AC2; if you like Ezio as a character, you should play his entire trilogy, which includes Brotherhood and Revelations. If you don't care about Ezio you can skip Revelations since it's just more of the same from a gameplay perspective, with some unnecessary additions thrown in and a slightly less compelling city.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna get into rear end Creed and its silly plot. But goddamn there's a lot of games. Which games are most important to understand the deep lore?

Revelations have one super easy mandatory tower defense, but IIRC the modern day parts of the story aren't relevant and it can be skipped.

2 and Brotherhood were when they actually tried to make those story parts feel important, 3 has some of that stuff, but after that they become completely irrelevant (I haven't played the last four games).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly i'd at least give assassin's creed 1 a shot to see how everything started, before jumping directly into the ezio trilogy. it's not very long and you don't have to give a poo poo about any sidequests or collectables because they do absolutely nothing relevant to gameplay, and they do throw back to what happened in the first game more than a few times in the first series of the assassin's creed games

the ezio trilogy are the best of the first series and worth playing. 3 is skippable unless you really need to see the end of that series

AC4 is the pirate game and is good standalone + starts off a new narrative in the series, letting them get a lot looser. it's pretty fun! rogue/unity/syndicate are Alright and have interesting bits, but they're all fairly similar to AC4 and i'd pick out the ones that seem interesting to you if you're looking for more, but you probably will get your fill

after that, we get to the third set of games in the series: origins, odyssey, and valhalla. there's a new modern-day protagonist and the games are a lot more like RPGs with equipment and skill trees and the like. people like odyssey more than origins, but I find origins to be pretty good itself and you'd probably want to play it before they refined stuff in the other two.

IN SUMMARY:

- the ezio trilogy is the best of the original set of games; starting here and playing through the first two out of three at least will get your fill of the classic AC games
- black flag is the best of the middle set of games, with pirate stuff and ship battles and a fairly different protagonist
- i'm waiting on a better PC to dive deep into the newest set of games more, but they're all pretty good. if you only want to play one I'd go for odyssey, but origins is a good start as well

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Counterpoint: Asscreed 1 is super boring and might make you give up on the series before you've even really started. It feels more like an extensive tech demo for what would eventually become Assassin's Creed 2. It just straight-up not really fun. If you really feel like you need to see it, go back to it after you've played Asscreed 2, if only to see how far the series came in just a single game. If AC2 had been as bad as AC1, I think the series literally wouldn't exist anymore today.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cardiovorax posted:

Counterpoint: Asscreed 1 is super boring and might make you give up on the series before you've even really started. It feels more like an extensive tech demo for what would eventually become Assassin's Creed 2. It just straight-up not really fun. If you really feel like you need to see it, go back to it after you've played Asscreed 2, if only to see how far the series came in just a single game. If AC2 had been as bad as AC1, I think the series literally wouldn't exist anymore today.

I literally put off buying a PS3 for an extra year because Assassin’s Creed 1 was very pretty for the time but bored me to tears within an hour of trying it at a friend’s place.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Just so someone does it, I'll say to skip any AC pre-Origins. They changed the formula a lot, for the better, starting with Origins. It, Odyssey, and Valhalla are all in the same vein, and you could pick any of them based on your preferred setting and have a similar experience. They play miles better than any of the previous iterations, in my opinion, but I know a lot of folks prefer the previous incarnations.

There's also the plus side there of having way less of the stupid modern day plot to deal with, and generally better characters overall. Kassandra, in particular, is fantastic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They're completely different games and for all intents and purposes the new games are basically a new series that is just being sold under the same name. If you're actually interested in the AC-specific gameplay that made the series so unique and special at its time, then that is really bad advice to follow. They're pretty good if you really want an AC-flavoured Witcher 3 clone after finally burning out on the original series, though.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Incoming Effort Post
TL;TR Just do what everyone else suggested. Be warned the Lore sections of the games are almost entirely contained in the last few hours of each game, tied to side content or optional during the modern day sections. This franchise gives out about 2 paragraphs of Lore for every 40 hours of gameplay.

Edit: If you min/max at all, or honestly just level up recruits in the dispatch missions, you have to do the tower defense game in Revalations exactly once during the mandatory, completely impossible to lose tutorial. I ended up doing a second one on my playthrough accidentally, because I forgot to assign a guy to stop it from happening.

Lore wise they don't pick up until the Eizo games like everyone has said. The first one is mostly little tiny drip fed tidbits that are relatively easy to miss. They are all pretty much referenced in the Eizo games.

In terms of how extensive it all is, they keep doling out tiny packets and elaboration with each game, but there are roughly 4 main arcs to the Lore storyline. The actual historical side of things are usually contained pretty neatly within individual games. But usually any meaningful information outside of little clues is contained in the last few hours of each game, often tied to doing side content.

The arc first is covered in AC1, Eizo Trilogy (2, Brotherhood, Revalations) and 3. This is can largely be kept track of because these are the games that let you walk around outside the animus freely in third person. It mostly establsihes the Deep Lore and the ongoing modern day situation. Arguably 2-3 have the most impact on future developments.

The second arc is pretty loose, but does have some clear throughlines. This is covered in 4 and Rogue. It helps fill out the Lore past the point in time where 3 stopped, and also provide significant context for the modern day setting. These games both allow you out the animus, but in a first person perspective.

The third arc is also loose, but has more obvious connections. The related games are Unity and Syndicate. Both again just fill in more time periods in the lore and continue the modern day plot. These games hardly ever let you out of the animus, and usually just to a slightly different menu screen. Any modern day events are depicted in cutscenes only.

The last arc is covered by Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla. They are arguably going all in on the lore and modern day plotlines. They are resolving dangling plotlines from across the series, as well as adding new information. It does dole out that information in a glacial manner however. The games do let you wander in third person outside the animus, but not particularly often.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 20, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve played every mainstream AC title and I still don’t understand the deep lore so I wouldn’t worry too much about that

It’s very convoluted and I’m pretty sure they’ve just been making it up as they went along ever since AC3 wrapped up desmonds story (and possibly earlier than that)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Anything not on the wiki for Xenoblade Chronicles? I remember getting a few hours in years ago and being absolutely floored by the dense number of intersecting systems. The weirdly-timed difficulty spikes made me feel like I just wasn't clicking with what the game wanted me to do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Asscreed 2 is still a game I go back to every so often. It's a solid game as long as you don't care too much about collecting feathers, and Ezio is a genuinely compelling character taken by himself, even if the end of the game is absolutely batshit without the vaguely-helpful context the later games provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm in a replay of AC2 now and yeah, it honestly holds up extremely well for its age.

That said, the chain kill system of brotherhood was such a good addition to the series, and you really feel it missing when you back to 2 and 1.