Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes I'm gay I'm very aware, I was asking if a specific case in Virginia prompted it (in other words, is there a Virginia judge serving right now who was like "oh killed them because they were trans, well that's all right then who wouldn't") ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

uhhhh did a court actually allow this defense, or is this just a precaution to make sure it can't happen

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=trans+panic+defense

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yes I'm gay I'm very aware, I was asking if a specific case in Virginia prompted it (in other words, is there a Virginia judge serving right now who was like "oh killed them because they were trans, well that's all right then who wouldn't") ?

IIRC there hasn't been a recent VA case that successfully used that defense, but I BELEIVE and my memory may be faulty here, but DC had one a little while ago. Plus, Delegate Danica Roem is trans so she has a bit of a personal stake in this bill and it was requested of her by her LBGTQ constituents(she is really good at putting forth bills that are directly requested by her constituents. See all her School Lunch bills). So while the VA legal system is just STARTING the progressive shift, it would make sense to fix some of the bullshit in our commonwealth regarding LGBTQ Bigotry in the legal system. Like, I have numerous trans friends that are considering moving to VA because of the state laws now on the books for LGBTQ protections so making Virginia true to its motto is just a really good thing. We are leaping ahead of a lot of other states on LGBTQ protections alone and I am pretty happy about it.

Virginia is for Lovers.

Come get your loving.

Edit: Thank you Danica Roem for confirming

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1364215919355060226?s=20

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 23, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

IIRC there hasn't been a recent VA case that successfully used that defense, but I BELEIVE and my memory may be faulty here, but DC had one a little while ago.

oof really? gently caress.

friendbot2000 posted:

Plus, Delegate Danica Roem is trans so she has a bit of a personal stake in this bill and it was requested of her by her LBGTQ constituents(she is really good at putting forth bills that are directly requested by her constituents. See all her School Lunch bills). So while the VA legal system is just STARTING the progressive shift, it would make sense to fix some of the bullshit in our commonwealth regarding LGBTQ Bigotry in the legal system. Like, I have numerous trans friends that are considering moving to VA because of the state laws now on the books for LGBTQ protections so making Virginia true to its motto is just a really good thing. We are leaping ahead of a lot of other states on LGBTQ protections alone and I am pretty happy about it.

Oh for sure, sorry if it came off as me questioning whether the law was a good idea (I think that's behind the odd snarky responses I was getting, from other people, not you), to me that just goes without saying because I am gay so of course I want laws to say "no, freaking out because someone is LGBT is not a reason to murder them", I was just wondering how bad it was there, if judges were actually going "oh well yes you killed them but good point they were trans, case dismissed!" or if it was to codify that it isn't a legal defense just to make sure it can't happen there since it has happened in America before. Thank you for answering my question.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Oh for sure, sorry if it came off as me questioning whether the law was a good idea (I think that's behind the odd snarky responses I was getting, from other people, not you), to me that just goes without saying because I am gay so of course I want laws to say "no, freaking out because someone is LGBT is not a reason to murder them", I was just wondering how bad it was there, if judges were actually going "oh well yes you killed them but good point they were trans, case dismissed!" or if it was to codify that it isn't a legal defense just to make sure it can't happen there since it has happened in America before. Thank you for answering my question.

This is the best source I could find, which says there was no such case in Virginia:* https://theconversation.com/i-track-murder-cases-that-use-the-gay-panic-defense-a-controversial-practice-banned-in-9-states-129973. There's a map in the article showing how many cases per state. Note that the figures shown are from 1970-present, so it's not necessarily reflective of the current state of the law in that state - for example, California is in the worst category on the map showing how many times it's been used, it's also banned in California.

The article also has stats on how often the defense was successful (generally not successful in getting a not-guilty verdict but got charges reduced in about 1/3rd of cases). Again - these stats are over 50 years and may be biased towards earlier years, I don't have a source that lets you see if trends changed.

* while it's not visible on the map, the linked data says there were three cases in DC. the linked data is not helpful in teasing out when those cases happened, it's just "state; cases"

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 23, 2021

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

So, I'm really pissed about Connecticut right now.
Prior to today, Connecticut was doing phased vaccinations: first healthcare workers, then people 75+, and recently started with people 65+. This was Phase 1b, and essential workers(teachers, grocery store workers, postal workers, etc.) and people with comorbidities(like comprimised immune systems) were supposed to be eligible to receive the vaccine by early next month.

But today, Gov. Ned Lamont abruptly announced a total alteration to the state's policy:
https://twitter.com/GovNedLamont/status/1363933954315751424

Basically, it's going to a completely age-based approach, and throwing people with comorbidities, disabilities, and non-teacher "essential workers" under the bus, in contravention of the CDC's recommendations.
Here's an article about it, I'll quote some choice bits:
https://ctmirror.org/2021/02/22/bre...ritized-by-age/

I'll tell you what's hard: working in a grocery store during a pandemic filled with idiot customers going the wrong way and not wearing their masks correctly and management not giving a poo poo because they spend 90% of their time in their offices while there are new cases weekly, but I digress...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised a multi-millionaire old white dude doesn't give a poo poo about workers or black people, but it still sucks. Sorry to interrupt Virginia Chat.

Nah it's good to talk about other states! I wonder if a drive can be set up to pester the state HHS Department until they change them again. And I also want to know the metrics they are using for said change as well...because that is just weird.

My reach doesn't really extend up to New England, but I might be able to put you in touch with some people to put pressure on them? The more I get into activism and local politics the more I realize just how loving MASSIVE the United States actually is and...man, does that gently caress you up sometimes.

VitalSigns posted:

No worries, it got me to research if it happened in VA at all which is a good thing to know.

And yeah, it is just...loving nuts that is even allowed to be a defense in the first place like...so what if the dude is gay, you still....murdered them???! Like, I am straight-leaning(sexual preference is a fluid wibbly wobbly thing isn't it?) and I dance with gay guys all the time at my fav Irish pub, how toxic do you have to be to murder or assault someone instead of going "Super flattered, but I am not interested." Just boggles my loving mind, but then again, I am not a raging homophobe with several layers of toxic masculinity driving my behavior...ugh.

But yeah, sorry didn't see your question earlier, wifebot and I are looking for a house because we are trying for babybot. So my shitposting on SA has decreased dramatically lol

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 23, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

And yeah, it is just...loving nuts that is even allowed to be a defense in the first place like...so what if the dude is gay, you still....murdered them???! Like, I am straight-leaning(sexual preference is a fluid wibbly wobbly thing isn't it?) and I dance with gay guys all the time at my fav Irish pub, how toxic do you have to be to murder or assault someone instead of going "Super flattered, but I am not interested." Just boggles my loving mind, but then again, I am not a raging homophobe with several layers of toxic masculinity driving my behavior...ugh.

But yeah, sorry didn't see your question earlier, wifebot and I are looking for a house because we are trying for babybot. So my shitposting on SA has decreased dramatically lol

I don't think any state passed a law specifically allowing "gay panic" to be asserted as a defense in the way states have passed laws specifically allowing (as an example) self-defense to be asserted as a defense against murder (generally there's a law spelling out that if you act in self-defense it's not murder, and what the elements of the self-defense defense is). I think it was people trying to say the elements of the crime weren't met because, e.g., they didn't premeditate the murder they just acted in a panic and so the necessary intent wasn't there.

That doesn't justify it - it's defense attorneys doing unethical things because those unethical things are not banned by law. It's similar to how usually there wasn't a law explicitly saying "oh yeah you can question a rape victim about her sexual history and if there's a name on there that's not her husband, it's not a crime" - it's just defense attorneys played on prejudice to try and discredit and intimidate the witness.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1365395184595464197?s=19

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS, VIRGINIA IS GETTIN THEIR TRAINS! The last few years the VADEMs are going ALL IN on trains. In the transportation omnibus bill they very forcefully denied funding to expanding highway 95 and opted to go all-in on mass transportation.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1365413952872738820?s=19

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I also think VADEMS are positioning the state to take massive advantage of the Biden Transportation plan. Like, they are already in talks with the DoT about trains and the study they are doing about making Union Station a throughput station instead of an orthogonal feeder system. Doing that would be a complete game changer because it would connect the VRE and MARC train systems. Which would allow Virginians to easily commute to DC and Maryland without using cars or switching trains

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

My family has old friends in Virginia who are VERY CONCERNED with how things are going over there, so y'all must be doin' somethin' right.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1365395184595464197?s=19

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS, VIRGINIA IS GETTIN THEIR TRAINS! The last few years the VADEMs are going ALL IN on trains. In the transportation omnibus bill they very forcefully denied funding to expanding highway 95 and opted to go all-in on mass transportation.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1365413952872738820?s=19

This is Step 3 of converting you fully to the Northeast.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Step 2 was the DC suburbs spilling over demographically into NoVa.

Step 1 was Billy Joel releasing the song "Shameless".

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1365543821975707650?s=20

Sounds like Dems in VA did a pretty lovely job at legalizing it. Excited to hear how this is all Lee Carter's fault.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ego-bot posted:

Excited to hear how this is all Lee Carter's fault.

Hey maybe don't do this?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Crosspost from USPOL: If we have any people that live in the DMV area I am trying to lobby to get funding requests put into Bidens Infrastructure bill to get Union Station retrofitted into a throughput station for commuter trains so we can connect the MARC and VRE networks. This will drastically reduce traffic congestion' cut transit emissions, and help densify areas to contain sprawl so it is super important to get your local state reps pestering your federal congress critters to get them that sweet sweet infrastructure cash. PM me if you want to get some sources to throw at em.

Getting these stations retrofitted us a super important step to making the DMV eco-friendly and carbon neutral. So now is the time to lobby for that sweet infrastructure cash!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/TerryMcAuliffe/status/1366410475374837766?s=19

T-Mac got the NATCA endorsement, which means he most likely has everyone. I could see the AFL-CIO endorsing Joyce Carroll Foy though.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hey maybe don't do this?

actually that post was funny

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Those rules sound really similar to standard alcohol rules to me, which seems fine?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
With the normal VA leg session now being closed here's a nice thread someone posted of all the criminal justice reform laws that have been passed. It's a lot. I bolded the most important ones.

https://twitter.com/kennedybtd/status/1366160405874298880?s=19

quote:

2021 REGULAR SESSION

end presumptions against bail
pretrial data collection
end felony petit larceny
redefine robbery
racial impact of bills study
making sentence reconsideration more fair
probation reform
permitting mental illness evidence at trial
court of appeals expansion
ending the death penalty
expungement reform
protecting review hearings for kids sentenced to prison
ending habitual offender laws
paying fines and cost reform

2020 SPECIAL

Jury sentencing reform
increasing prosecutorial discretion
expanding deferred dispositions
ending stops and searches based on marijuana odor
ending many pretextual reasons for stops

earned sentence credit expansion
starting MARCUS alert framework
decertification of bad cops
AG can investigate LEO conduct
reforming no knock warrants (Breonna Taylor's law)

2020 REGULAR SESSION

ex parte expert funding requests for criminal cases
requiring recording of custodial interrogations
permitting jurors to know the sentencing range in criminal trials
improving process for people who are un-restorably incompetent facing trial
decriminalizing marijuana
ending drivers license suspensions for fines and costs and some drug offenses
making DUI laws more fair
expanding non-citizens who can get a drivers license
expanding parole to certain people and kids held for a long time
giving discretion to judges about when to try some kids as adults
parental notification for interrogating kids
raising larceny threshold
data collections for stops by police
improvements to civil asset forfeiture

It's arguably the largest change in the criminal justice system in VA in a single year going back to colonial times.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 1, 2021

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

With the normal VA leg session now being closed here's a nice thread someone posted of all the criminal justice reform laws that have been passed. It's a lot. I bolded the most important ones.

It's arguably the largest change in the criminal justice system in VA in a single year going back to colonial times.

BRB gonna go start organizing a jaywalking crime spree now that pretextual stops are illegal

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Looks like Kamlager and a huge pile of money are running away with CA Senate District 30

https://laist.com/latest/post/20210303/30th-district-state-senate-election-results

DSA candidate coming in 2nd.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

axeil posted:

It maybe doesn’t sound as sexy as the rest of them but ending suspension of drivers licenses for some offenses is loving huge. That’s such an albatross around the neck of working class people.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jaxyon posted:

Looks like Kamlager and a huge pile of money are running away with CA Senate District 30

https://laist.com/latest/post/20210303/30th-district-state-senate-election-results

DSA candidate coming in 2nd.

Honestly when I read this I interpreted "a huge pile of money" as one of the candidates, although I suppose that's not a terrible guess in a vacuum

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Quorum posted:

Honestly when I read this I interpreted "a huge pile of money" as one of the candidates, although I suppose that's not a terrible guess in a vacuum

It essentially was.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It maybe doesn’t sound as sexy as the rest of them but ending suspension of drivers licenses for some offenses is loving huge. That’s such an albatross around the neck of working class people.

Wow, Yeah that really is a huge deal. It cannot be overstated just how much license suspensions are used to gently caress over the working poor for trivial traffic offenses.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
In VA news, Danica Roem has endorsed Jennifer Carroll Foy for governor. This is a huge get for Foy's campaign and makes me think she has a shot at coming in 2nd (T-Mac is gonna run away with the nomination). She's also my preferred pick for Governor, even if I know it'll be T-Mac (and to be clear, I'm plenty happy with T-Mac)

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1367651479247536128?s=20

She also got the ATU endorsement. Seems like she's getting her ducks in a row to be the pick of the left in the Governor's race.

https://twitter.com/JCarrollFoy/status/1367222702243803144?s=20

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cool, I was going to ask the thread/Friendbot, etc whether Foy was a good choice for governor. I've been receiving piles of e-mails from her campaign for weeks. Roem's endorsement is a big plus for me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cool, I was going to ask the thread/Friendbot, etc whether Foy was a good choice for governor. I've been receiving piles of e-mails from her campaign for weeks. Roem's endorsement is a big plus for me.

Yeah Foy is my choice. Don't know if Friendbot/others are onboard with her but she seems great.

I'm hopeful she can at least make a race of it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
My local activist groups are definitely on board with her run, I'm likewise hoping to see a good showing (especially in suburban areas, because that'll stand out to the number hrrm folks).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ralph Northam endorsed Norfolk Delegate Jay Jones for attorney general over incumbent Mark Herring. This may or may not have to do with Herring calling for Northam's resignation over the blackface scandal a few years ago (and then Herring himself acknowledging he too, partook in the forbidden art of blackface).

Jones is young, progressive, and Black. If elected he would be come the first African American attorney general in Virginia's history.

Herring, for what it's worth, has been a decent attorney general imo. He helped Virginia move firmly into the pro-gay marriage column when he was first elected eight years ago and has made it his mission to clear the state's backlog of thousands of untested rape kits. More recently he's been very much on the side of getting rid of Confederate monuments.

Herring's original plan was to run for governor and open the door for Jones to take over at AG. But then T-Mac started sniffing around and Herring probably felt it'd be easier to stick with his current job. He's probably right.

So much like the governor's race with Foy and MacAuliffe, the progressive Jones is the better candidate for attorney general, but it's not the end of the world when Herring inevitably wins the primary.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 5, 2021

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still occasionally think about how we got robbed of Northam moonwalking at his apology press conference

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Ballz posted:

Ralph Northam endorsed Norfolk Delegate Jay Jones for attorney general over incumbent Mark Herring. This may or may not have to do with Herring calling for Northam's resignation over the blackface scandal a few years ago (and then Herring himself acknowledging he too, partook in the forbidden art of blackface).

Jones is young, progressive, and Black. If elected he would be come the first African American attorney general in Virginia's history.

Herring, for what it's worth, has been a decent attorney general imo. He helped Virginia move firmly into the pro-gay marriage column when he was first elected eight years ago and has made it his mission to clear the state's backlog of thousands of untested rape kits. More recently he's been very much on the side of getting rid of Confederate monuments.

Herring's original plan was to run for governor and open the door for Jones to take over. But then T-Mac started sniffing for the job and he probably felt it'd be easier to stick with his current job. He's probably right.

So much like the governor's race with Foy and MacAuliffe, the progressive Jones is the better candidate for attorney general, but it's not the end of the world when Herring inevitably wins the primary.

Is that inevitable? It seems like for a race like AG getting the governor's endorsement is going to be important. Would you say that the AG has name recognition on his own merits beyond the most tuned-in? With MacAuliffe he has the dual advantage of having held the position before and having a total free ride on endorsements because of that, but I'm not sure the incumbent advantage would be as impactful for an AG primary.

Edit: I don't live in the area, I'm just going off of my own ignorance of who my state AG is and what they are currently doing and projecting to another state, but I can see how VA would potentially be more generally aware of such things.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013
So, it seems the police of Spokane, Washington have some problems with use of force against Native Americans (49%! What the gently caress?) and African Americans (22%. This is closer to what I would have expected).

"SPOKANE, Wash. — A report commissioned by the Spokane Police Department shows that Black and Native American residents were more likely to be suspected of crimes and have forced used against them by officers. ...Black and Native American subjects in Spokane were more likely to be identified as a suspect in a reported crime were than would be expected based on their population, according to an executive summary of the report. Data from the report shows that Black subjects were more than tree times more likely to be identified as a suspect and Native Americans were 68% more likely."

https://www.krem.com/mobile/article...35-a9de37ea64cc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not surprising at all. Before they were slave patrols, the police as an institution were extermination squads. The Mounties still are. And just look at Australian police treating the torture and murder of Aboriginal Australians as a sport.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SwingShift posted:

So, it seems the police of Spokane, Washington have some problems with use of force against Native Americans (49%! What the gently caress?) and African Americans (22%. This is closer to what I would have expected).

"SPOKANE, Wash. — A report commissioned by the Spokane Police Department shows that Black and Native American residents were more likely to be suspected of crimes and have forced used against them by officers. ...Black and Native American subjects in Spokane were more likely to be identified as a suspect in a reported crime were than would be expected based on their population, according to an executive summary of the report. Data from the report shows that Black subjects were more than tree times more likely to be identified as a suspect and Native Americans were 68% more likely."

https://www.krem.com/mobile/article...35-a9de37ea64cc

When my stepdad was in the hospital one of his masonic brothers was a cop in Alaska once upon a time in the sixties-eighties, and the 'amusing' stories he would tell about the just outright jaw dropping abuse of natives that was considered routine by the cops would make you accuse me of making poo poo up. poo poo like hitting drunk natives with your car and getting out and just pitching them into the ditch to get them out of the road before moving along, and that was considered the nice thing to do instead of just leaving them to get hit by the next guy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1368669094262824965

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Oracle posted:

the 'amusing' stories he would tell about the just outright jaw dropping abuse of natives that was considered routine by the cops would make you accuse me of making poo poo up.

Oh, I'd believe every word. I've heard what they (and even civilians) get away with in Canada and the like wrt indigenous people. I'm half-native myself. I suppose it's more the effect of having the numbers to back up what I know is already happening. Even reading your post made my blood boil, knowing so many crimes and abuses have gone without punishment. I hate how little we are talked about in the news or media, and it feels like when things like this are brought up no one really cares.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/JaredPushner/status/1367946693531025413?s=20
Fighting for the people!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think the point is for him to show off but it looks like he's having some sort of episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Big news from the Democratic stronghold of Wyoming

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1369140905052172288?s=20