Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Made a Skaven out of Dalathrust for a kill team.

His back piece is one giant chunk of warpstone with two smaller chunks hanging from chain.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Anybody seen good examples of frozen ice/lake bases? I've been trying to find something like water effects, but 'frosty' looking, and haven't had any real luck

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

BULBASAUR posted:

Anybody seen good examples of frozen ice/lake bases? I've been trying to find something like water effects, but 'frosty' looking, and haven't had any real luck

I forget the name but there's a green stuff world product my buddy uses that's incredible. You paint it on and stuff frosts up, weirdly how actual frost spreads even. Only issue is it's fragile and you need to add a protective coat.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

precisioniceandsnow.com is a place I've heard good things about but haven't yet bought/tried their stuff. They ship from the UK.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

BULBASAUR posted:

Try this video by Marco Frisoni!

https://youtu.be/j4dpos38Le4

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
This is miniature building and not miniature painting, but

Is there anything more hateful than a mold line running over the knuckles of a model holding something

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looking forward to the MIniature Building, Miniature Displaying and Miniature Purchasing threads

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BULBASAUR posted:

I learned the recipe from a friend for these bases:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Now I have eradicators. Ho ho ho

Went full Mr. Freeze with the sergeant, thought it would be fitting. And yeah, I didn't look too hard when pulling models from the to-do pile and accidentally painted up two of the same model for the squad. I'm going to run six eventually but my new thing is to work on a unit at a time, slowly building up to the full 2000pt list I made.

First you paint the base the color you want the ice, a bluish green or greenish blue work well, add in some variety too. For these I added some blue splotches in the middle to break up the color. Then just glob a ton of this crackle medium onto it. Then wait 12h for it to dry and crack. Drybrush bluish white then light drybrush pure white. Add snow.

You can probably do the same thing with any crackle paint and I've seen a few examples where people take lava flow bases and just paint the lava like water and the rocks like ice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks everybody for the hot tips. Going to experiment with a few things and post results

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

more grots for the grot god

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Is there anything more hateful than a mold line running over the knuckles of a model holding something

Face is worse imo, but that seems pretty rare these days.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Mold lines through hair or fur

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

really any textured surface is a motherfuck. ridged insides of space marine knees and elbows get it sometimes depending on model and that sucks too, at least they’re kinda out of the way usually

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
MURDERFANG

And the bash brothers together

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God drat those kick so much rear end.

I had a really low point yesterday where I thought about painting all my marines as Iron Hands because it'd be easier than Space Wolves, but thank you for inspiring me just now to stay with The Rout.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

God drat those kick so much rear end.

I had a really low point yesterday where I thought about painting all my marines as Iron Hands because it'd be easier than Space Wolves, but thank you for inspiring me just now to stay with The Rout.

You got this man, you can do it!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After many months I finally got around to finishing my Scarab Occult Sorcerer.

My squad of Terminators is at last complete.

My elite boys are going to kick some serious arse.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If you don't use it as a separate luminosity guide, I guess zenithal priming isn't worth it for paint, wash, highlight, drybrush, finish kind of painter?
It would seem like you'd need to use contrast paints or contrast medium glazes to make it show through. Is that about right? I got miffed when I eradicated some facial features with a rattle can and I'm trying to talk myself into just priming black.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Firstborn posted:

If you don't use it as a separate luminosity guide, I guess zenithal priming isn't worth it for paint, wash, highlight, drybrush, finish kind of painter?
It would seem like you'd need to use contrast paints or contrast medium glazes to make it show through. Is that about right? I got miffed when I eradicated some facial features with a rattle can and I'm trying to talk myself into just priming black.

Zenithal is only really gonna show through if you work with thin glazes, yeah.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Perhaps slightly off-topic but I've spent the last few days with this thing and, without wanting to brag, I'm pretty sure it's unsinkable.

Now to work out decals.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I am here to once again talk about how Tamiya Extra Thin Cement changed my life and made me not hate knuckles and ribbed cables. Wipe most of it off the little applicator, brush it towards the grain to "paint" away the offending line.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Firstborn posted:

Somewhat! Everything you’ve said is true however the tones of the paint layers can be influenced by the under paint. So having some colors over a zenithal, assuming you’re not doing very thick, opaque layers, should still have some level of depth to them because of the under paint.

You can also zenithal in non-white colors to influence tones in different ways. For example, using a flesh tone as a zenithal over a dark base to give everything a rosy warmth. These effects are very noticeable between models that share a paint scheme but maybe one has a zenithal and another doesn’t.

It’s less noticeable in your standard base, wash, highlight method of painting, but it’s still influential on the end result.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I started using a wet pallet and have run into an issue where I'm trying to thin my paints as I normally would with a hard pallet, but the paint quickly becomes runny and beads up on the wet pallet. I thought one of the advantages of a wet palette was to be able to drop a few drops of different paints and be able to mix them freely, but when I try to thin, this becomes really impossible. It also makes brush control very difficult.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Perhaps slightly off-topic but I've spent the last few days with this thing and, without wanting to brag, I'm pretty sure it's unsinkable.

Now to work out decals.

please tell me there's also a model of the iceberg

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Winklebottom posted:

please tell me there's also a model of the iceberg

I'm seriously considering making one.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

BULBASAUR posted:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/43463-tutorial-creating-ice-bases/

I've had this one sitting in my bookmarks for ages.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Pretty stoked on this Space Wolves Bladeguard Ancient conversion I'm working on.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Pretty stoked on this Space Wolves Bladeguard Ancient conversion I'm working on.

Very nice. Good effort at not using the regular wolf helmet. Even if I do like it almost as much as the beakie.

Finished a :bird: this weekend.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I keep hoping they'll make Kroot not a terrible joke faction in Kill Team so that I can justify painting some up because they look very fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I started using a wet pallet and have run into an issue where I'm trying to thin my paints as I normally would with a hard pallet, but the paint quickly becomes runny and beads up on the wet pallet. I thought one of the advantages of a wet palette was to be able to drop a few drops of different paints and be able to mix them freely, but when I try to thin, this becomes really impossible. It also makes brush control very difficult.

It depends on the paint you're using, but you probably don't need to add much/any water to your paint on a wet palette for base coating at least, and just a tiny bit for layering or wet blending. I only really add a significant amount of water for glazing, but I mainly use Kimera paint which is a bit on the more liquid side compared to something like Scale75.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Anyone able to recommend some good squig-like miniatures? Preferably a swarm of mini ones, to put in a cage/box for a custom Squigbuggy. I'm operating on a 'No two ork vehicles should look alike' policy so gonna have to do some modelling work.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's my first time using Martian Ironcrust and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I probably could have added more interest to the base in hindsight? I should have added skulls but I think I'm done with Brother Baraka On a Bike.
I actually named this dude Atredian of The Black Dragons - He's my first ever Outrider of Combat Squad Naga of my soon to be built Fortis Kill Team Dastros. Thanks for reading my fan fiction.

(Shamelessly stolen radar idea from an Outrider that BrotherSRM did)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Any recommendations for church or temple bases? Resin, acrylic, or mdf are fine. Probably gonna go with these.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Space Wolf conversions are coming along... Lieutenant and Chaplain done

stoked to get painting on these guys

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Funzo posted:

I've got a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush and it works great for priming, basecoating and some basic shading, but I've been thinking about getting a new brush that will do detail better. Are the Sotar 2020 brushes pretty good, are would I be better off spending a little more and picking up a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity or something like that?

I was in this exact scenario a while back and ended up buying both. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd skip the Sotar. It's a perfectly okay airbrush, but the Infinity is much nicer, even taking into account the additional cost.

I finally painted another miniature after almost a whole year of scale stuff. Sorta.

This guy's a 1/35 tanker out of an old Tamiya kit. Critique would be appreciated.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know it's been discussed ITT before, probably quite a few times, but can anyone :words: (or better yet, a video?) pertaining to how they drill and pin bases/models for the purposes of painting (as opposed to structural integrity)?

Like in the past I've just glued my fully assembled minis onto their base and said to heck with creating fancy bases, then paint it. This time around I said OK I want to get into basing, so I've been using some blu-tack to stand up my assembled minis on a base while I paint it, then remove the mini and do the base, then glue the mini to the base. But this method sucks rear end because blutack simply isn't that strong and even with gentle brush use eventually I topple the mini over :saddowns:

Do you just drill a hole into every single base and every single model's foot, pin & glue it so it's "hovering" over the base slightly, then just snip the pin once you've finished painting? Is it literally that simple? :thunk:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I know it's been discussed ITT before, probably quite a few times, but can anyone :words: (or better yet, a video?) pertaining to how they drill and pin bases/models for the purposes of painting (as opposed to structural integrity)?

Like in the past I've just glued my fully assembled minis onto their base and said to heck with creating fancy bases, then paint it. This time around I said OK I want to get into basing, so I've been using some blu-tack to stand up my assembled minis on a base while I paint it, then remove the mini and do the base, then glue the mini to the base. But this method sucks rear end because blutack simply isn't that strong and even with gentle brush use eventually I topple the mini over :saddowns:

Do you just drill a hole into every single base and every single model's foot, pin & glue it so it's "hovering" over the base slightly, then just snip the pin once you've finished painting? Is it literally that simple? :thunk:

I drill a hole in a foot, glue a pin in it, and stick it to a cork or something to paint. When I'm ready to attach it to the base I drill a hole in the base, trim the pin to an appropriate length, and glue it on.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "hovering" thing. If you pin it to the base poorly it can look like it's hovering but there are plenty of ways to avoid that. I don't really do army painting, but I probably wouldn't do any sort of sub-assembling, including the base, for guys I was painting dozens of.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 8, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I meant something like this:

Like using a pin that's too long, so that way I could easily get my cutters underneath and free the mini from the base. Whereas if the pin were short enough and the model sat flush on the base, there'd be no way to free the mini.

What do you use for a paint handle when the mini is attached to the cork?

And yea I'm not interested in painting before assembly at this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

literally just base around the miniature