Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can make some art for you guys if you want to invest-hide in $1M Warhammers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1368276663054704645?s=19

People sometimes claim you can't tell whether prices are really rising because it's an average/median/benchmark price and not the same home.

This realtor was kind enough to help out! (Property transfer tax was 53k on 2.5m.)

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

gently caress me. That's what 2.6M gets you these days? Jesus loving Christ.

Just lol that we have the most left leaning provincial government in Canada and they won't do diddly poo poo about any of this.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Sassafras posted:

People sometimes claim you can't tell whether prices are really rising because it's an average/median/benchmark price and not the same home.

This realtor was kind enough to help out! (Property transfer tax was 53k on 2.5m.)

$15k/month isn't bad work if you can get it.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras posted:

Also: Trying to get wife's mother's place listed since she's roughly 80 and lives hours away from everybody else in the family (used to be other relatives there, but they've left/died, as have most elderly friends).

Just on the rumour that she's selling it with a ballpark figure in mind 10% higher than an October comparable in the same gated community, three interested bidders have presented themselves.

Sassafras posted:

So this got listed earlier this week higher than originally planned, first day of showings collected four "pledged" offers for offer date.

So only two of the six people offering above list included inspection and finance conditions. Good frickin' luck against the four who didn't.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

$15k/month isn't bad work if you can get it.

Just dropping 180k after taxes on a mortgage. No big deal.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Boot and Rally posted:

Just dropping 180k after taxes on a mortgage. No big deal.

What? You can't swing that?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Sassafras posted:

LMAO I rent just a few blocks up Laurel Street from there and walk by that house all the time. For comparison, I pay $700/month for a tiny bedroom in the shared upper level of an older house just like that one. The family that I live with also rents, and they pay about $2700 on this place (3.5 bed, 1 bath). The separate basement suite used to have a different set of tenants, but the owner got sick of their poo poo, evicted them "to move in a family member" a couple of years ago, and has left it vacant ever since. He also rents out the laneway garage to some random dude who uses it to store his motorcycles and power tools. In all the owner was pulling about $5000/month in rents from this property while living in a condo someplace nearby.

The neighborhood has absolutely zero redeeming qualities except for wealthy, WASP-y neighbors. Even the closest supermarket sucks. I guess south Cambie Street has some OK stuff, but eh. Even with buses and the Canada Line, you really have to drive to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. I was kind of into the quiet when I first arrived in 2016, but over the years, the existential emptiness has really gotten to me. So much wealth, privilege, and exclusion, to produce something so oppressively dull. At least I get to leave and go back to the US once I finish at UBC, I feel so awful for the people who are getting squeezed by the rising land values and can't afford to either stay or leave. And where would they go, anyway? Seems like we could use some Georgism up in here.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
If you call the tenant board that landlord technically has to pay a years worth of rent to the former tenants because he didn't move anyone in after evicting them.

I'm sure there's no enforcement on that whatsoever but it could be worth a try.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not yet; we'll see how quickly the sale goes. We won't have to be out until at least May 15 at minimum, June 15 if this extends long enough, and we might as well get our 1 month free rent if we get evicted via an N12.

Update: They had a shitload of showings yesterday and multiple bully offers. Accepted one. Not telling me if I’m going to be evicted until they get the deposit tomorrow so it sounds like no conditions.

Also a condo we viewed yesterday that was supposed to hold offers until Tuesday already has two bully offers.

Guess it’s time to move into a van down by the river.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Can't you just continue renting till the markets stops being quite so ridiculous? There is no way I'd want to try to buy something right now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Oh absolutely. We are leaning to renting; we saw this one just because we love the location a lot. We’re going to start looking at rentals soon (unless the new owner assumes us as tenants).

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

The Globe and Mail published a Serious Article about how housing can only be made affordable through supply. It was written by the CEO of the canadian realtors association. lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Who are these “bully offers” coming from? They sound like straight cash offers so it can’t be interest rates right?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Lines of credit against the rest of your assets are still based off of prime and are cash sitting in your account once you have one. The bank doesn't care at that point if it's for a house or whatever.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Vancouver is the BPOE story:

So we’re out this morning around 1030 and I’m waiting for my wife in front of a cafe. Guy comes over and asks to use my phone to ‘call his girlfriend to see if she’s still alive’. I said, ‘Sorry, no.’ He says, ‘why not?’ I reply, ‘I’m not giving you my phone’. He says, ‘WTF is wrong with you?’ I get up and walk quickly away.

Honestly, this town is such a shithole.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I have an aunt in her late seventies who owns outright an older townhouse as part of a larger complex in Burnaby. The strata has been approached by a developer who wants to buy everyone out. My aunt is somewhat despairing because she's made the place her home, expecting to inhabit it until she dies.

She is now in the ludicrous position of potentially getting something in the range of a million dollars for her townhome (which she paid ~$100,000 for) if the strata votes in favour and feeling like she would have to downgrade her living arrangements as a result. She doesn't think she can get a place of comparable size and niceness given what a million dollars gets you these days.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

So we’re out this morning around 1030 and I’m waiting for my wife in front of a cafe. Guy comes over and asks to use my phone to ‘call his girlfriend to see if she’s still alive’. I said, ‘Sorry, no.’ He says, ‘why not?’ I reply, ‘I’m not giving you my phone’. He says, ‘WTF is wrong with you?’ I get up and walk quickly away.

Honestly, this town is such a shithole.

All joking aside, this is every city ever

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sitchensis posted:

I have an aunt in her late seventies who owns outright an older townhouse as part of a larger complex in Burnaby. The strata has been approached by a developer who wants to buy everyone out. My aunt is somewhat despairing because she's made the place her home, expecting to inhabit it until she dies.

She is now in the ludicrous position of potentially getting something in the range of a million dollars for her townhome (which she paid ~$100,000 for) if the strata votes in favour and feeling like she would have to downgrade her living arrangements as a result. She doesn't think she can get a place of comparable size and niceness given what a million dollars gets you these days.

If the developer wants to buy everyone out, I hope the strata isn't quite so stupid to tolerate only the fair market value of the property.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

qhat posted:

If the developer wants to buy everyone out, I hope the strata isn't quite so stupid to tolerate only the fair market value of the property.

Burnaby hasn't cracked million dollars for a townhouse yet. That sounds like a pretty fair offer.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

Also a condo we viewed yesterday that was supposed to hold offers until Tuesday already has two bully offers.

Guess it’s time to move into a van down by the river.

Edit: further events have transpired that have proven the selling agent was doing shady poo poo. to avoid legal bullshit because my agent is actually an old friend of mine, I am not updating this post with that information and editing out what little i said, keeping the most important part:

This. loving. Market.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 8, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm shocked that there is illegal activity involved in this buying frenzy

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Illegal activity in Vancouver involving large sums of cash?!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
This is Mississauga lmao.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Cold on a Cob posted:

This is Mississauga lmao.

Tomayeto, Tomahto

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crow Buddy posted:

Tomayeto, Tomahto

Toronto Tronno

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

All joking aside, this is every city ever

I’ve lived in Vancouver for thirty of my forty some odd years. This was a first.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I’ve lived in Vancouver for thirty of my forty some odd years. This was a first.

Sounds like Vancouver is finally catching up to other world class cities.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Ok ok ok i think i see where i hosed up my personal finances finally:

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1368667088043323395?s=20

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I'm trying to look for a new place to live and condos.ca keeps timing out.

This does not bode well.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Cold on a Cob posted:

I'm trying to look for a new place to live and condos.ca keeps timing out.

This does not bode well.

condos.ca is bad, use zolo or realtor

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

sitchensis posted:

People hate on the primary exemption as a big giveaway, but this story seems like a summary of why it exists.

If she had to pay taxes on her $900k gain what would be left over would not be enough for the same amount and quality of housing. She would have to downsize.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

condos.ca is bad, use zolo or realtor

I've been mostly using Zolo as my main source of information (along w/ emails from my agent) but I wanted a way to shortlist my favourite buildings somewhere and it's good for that.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Femtosecond posted:

People hate on the primary exemption as a big giveaway, but this story seems like a summary of why it exists.

If she had to pay taxes on her $900k gain what would be left over would not be enough for the same amount and quality of housing. She would have to downsize.

Those suggested policies often have a window to buy a new place before you get taxed but if nothing you like comes up until too late, look out!

She should take the opportunity to downsize while getting paid a premium over a 50 year old townhome's normal value though. The ability to do stairs well fades long before death unless you go suddenly. And the neighborhood is probably a write-off for longer than her lifespan anyway if every last thing is getting redeveloped.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FYI if people had to pay capital gains upon sale, then home prices would be less than they are now since people wouldn't be able to leverage 0% capital gains to upsize.

qhat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 8, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Anytime you see low-tax or 0% tax, it's primarily for the richest to move and stash away millions legally without the taxman being able to touch a cent, and very little to do with Joe Bloggs down the road to help him with downsizing in retirement.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

Ok ok ok i think i see where i hosed up my personal finances finally:

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1368667088043323395?s=20

The Beaverton is a parody news thing. You got onioned.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qhat posted:

The Beaverton is a parody news thing. You got onioned.

I know, my post was sarcastically agreeing with the Beaverton's point re: how frustrating and worthless real financial advice articles are.

qhat posted:

Anytime you see low-tax or 0% tax, it's primarily for the richest to move and stash away millions legally without the taxman being able to touch a cent, and very little to do with Joe Bloggs down the road to help him with downsizing in retirement.

Agreed. There are ways to make it benefit the non-wealthy and nobody even talks about them in the media. Like I imagine the exemption being capped at 250k or something would help a lot even.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Cold on a Cob posted:

I know, my post was sarcastically agreeing with the Beaverton's point re: how frustrating and worthless real financial advice articles are.

Agreed. There are ways to make it benefit the non-wealthy and nobody even talks about them in the media. Like I imagine the exemption being capped at 250k or something would help a lot even.

Things that depress labour mobility even farther than it's already dropped in recent decades aren't really desirable. Besides, there'd be a bunch of other effects like "actually, housing prices at the lower end wouldn't fall at all because nobody would ever be willing to sell and eat that big tax hit rather than renting it out", "large organizations that can borrow infinite money at minimal interest cost buy it all instead", or funnier dodges that despite easy to being restrict, seldom are (that's the "laws favour the rich" thing) for property transfer taxes such as: "haha, own the house in a corporation with a possibly convoluted ownership structure, sell control of the corporate structure instead" hijinks.

The BC NDP appear to be taking steps to means test the basic home owners grant on property taxes, and the HOG discount on property taxes is one of the only current incentives not to adopt the "house in a holding corp" model. (The other is accounting costs but pay someone to do it once or twice, copy them every other year for free.).

We'll see how this ties into the SVT/beneficial ownership registries - probably it's all good from a "chasing laundering / tax evasion" point of view even if useless at generating affordable housing.

I think the role of "way lower taxes" is rather underestimated in how the boomer generation, particularly the earlier ones, got so wealthy. I think my marginal rates are at least 25% (and I don't mean 1.25x) above my parents' in their high earning heyday ... just 20-30 years ago (but we're sure paying for their healthcare!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

If you call the tenant board that landlord technically has to pay a years worth of rent to the former tenants because he didn't move anyone in after evicting them.

I'm sure there's no enforcement on that whatsoever but it could be worth a try.

You can also report them to the City of Vancouver in case they're not paying their empty home tax on that vacant suite: https://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/get-help-with-a-property-concern.aspx