Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013

text editor posted:

yes but even after the two hours or so it took to group together, the "jank" from just the portion that I watched involved getting linus glitched into walls or stuck in chairs no less than 4 times

all while I get to watch this morphology dweeb's face with his constant look of nervousness any time someone in the stream was like "oh poo poo, what's behind this door on the ship, how do I open this" as even he knew they might get ejected into space and it'd take a half hour to find that person again

that morphology dude really tried to sell the "well, at least we're having fun, haha, right guys?" thing to hilariously cringey extents

oh it's probably worth pointing out that the CIG-affiliated streamers gameplay looked smoothish, every other person in the stream who wasn't all in on CIG was complaining about getting 1-15FPS and desync the entire time. that's not even the flavor of jank you can have fun with, it's just trash

For sure, it's definitely trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Pixelate posted:

Oh god

PleasejoinCIGpleasejoinCIG

Lethality working at CIG would be :discourse:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

it shows even with hundreds of dollars worth of ships and the blessings of developers it is still a miserable experience.

To me it's like watching a bunch of good mates on a road trip getting a flat tyre, everything about the situation sucks but it can still be fun/funny with good company.

Only you did not spend $500 to get a flat tyre.

For anyone that missed it here is the big 'fire fight' that was totally not scripted to happen by cig employees

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoliteCharmingEagleShadyLulu-bp_L5RkRU2edtsAN

This is the reveal as they back out of the hanger (why would you back out of a hanger..?) and SURPRISE an idris just happens to slowly motor past the 3rd person camera view

notice the chat during all this... streamer at some point freaks out 'OH MY GOD AN IDRIS WE BETTER STAY OUT OF ITS RAILGUN THAT THING WILL 1 SHOT US'.... the Idris doesn't fire a single shot the entire engagement

https://clips.twitch.tv/UglySnappyKleeSoonerLater-PVWtkZv3vKBrW6gS]

most of the firefight is like this, the idris slowly drifting along while being fired upon by the streamers ship + what looks like 3-4 other ships. notice all done in 3rd person mostly for that ultra cinematic presentation

https://clips.twitch.tv/CheerfulConfidentSmoothiePartyTime-JzFEZqMgD-tt6RR-

now that the streamers have expended all their ballistic ammo they're using laser turrets, again the idris just kind of hangs around soaking everything up and I don't think fires a shot back once

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpunkyHelplessWheelAliens-QSQrvmcAkdeyo15l

here it is, the big ending. after acknowledging that the enemy idris still has 95% of its health left the server suddenly erupts allover itself as the developer self destructs the idris. KILL CONFIRMED FOLKS!

that's it, shut it down boys COD will never match anything CIG can put out!

:ps: is the embedding of twitch clips a known bug on the forums? it must be, having to paste it, preview, then re-paste that bit that got cut off is a bit annoying for each video

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
SaltEMike ranting about Morph doing the LinusTechTips stream is pretty funny https://www.twitch.tv/videos/940416382?t=0h32m20s

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This is good for Star Citizen.

I'm glad of it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Quavers posted:

Lethality working at CIG would be :discourse:

I think that would actually be the one thing that could cause CIG to close shop.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

SaltEMike ranting about Morph doing the LinusTechTips stream is pretty funny https://www.twitch.tv/videos/940416382?t=0h32m20s

Chat:
"he's doing an investigative piece"
"hit piece incoming"

If the only thing you can conclude by playing star citizen is that it is poo poo, maybe, just maybe, star citizen is poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blue On Blue posted:

here it is, the big ending. after acknowledging that the enemy idris still has 95% of its health left the server suddenly erupts allover itself as the developer self destructs the idris. KILL CONFIRMED FOLKS!

With the 'The Idris is still intact in my game from one of the others'.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Idris spawn is so funny cause the dev who did it probably thought they'd get a huge reaction from the LTT guys but really that only works for Citizens who have already bought fully in and are personally deeply invested in these ships that the mere sight of one jankily flying past is a jaw dropping experience. For anyone else it's yet another broken space ship in a broken game full of broken space ships.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

marumaru posted:

Chat:
"hit piece incoming"

If the only thing you can conclude by playing star citizen is that it is poo poo, maybe, just maybe, star citizen is poo poo.

But many of them seriously think that Star Citizen in its current state is still the absolute best video game that has ever been created. So why would they think someone who just played it wouldn't see the same thing? :shrug:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Pixelate posted:

[Lethality announces he has been taking gamedev crash courses]

From their FAQ:

quote:

Are you going to make a racing game? fighting game? MMORPG?

We don’t need to. Our students at the end of this program know how to make those games.

I'm not sure that a semester's-worth crash course in C# for Unity and enterprise app development will be enough to prepare someone for making a MMORPG...

Actually, you know what? That's probably enough for CIG. Sure, go for it!

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
please someone just take this game and take it out to pasture

i think even roberts wants that at this point

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I only check in here a few times a year and I'm still astonished at how little progress they've made each time. It's incredible.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
So I've only skimmed this thread over the years and never really gone mining for the Citizen's Defense Crew stuff until I watched that stream you guys posted last night, but the youtube comments on the carefully curated supercut of that stream are just so...sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2FJMErSDPw

Another "OK now play it the right way"

:stare:

is this a threat + "I'm too mature to actually hit him"?

Think of the glitches as what weeds out the normies

more revenge fantasies

Desync issues? I'm sure it'll work better when we add more than one server into the mix

Pots & kettles, etc

"Normal experience"

This isn't an either/or, but they'll pretend it is

"A sophisticated video game for the refined gameur"

for 1 its not a game its a simulator

I mean how do you have the energy to defend this pile of poo poo, day after day video after video thread after thread? How do you get to the point where you think a "fair" review is one where the review is patient in between the times you define as gameplay doing tedious setup, where the reviewer not move or touch or do anything outside of precisely what you tell them. How do you think the reviewers trying to unearth fun in the jank is a bad thing? Complaining that people finding silver lining on the clouds are ruining the fidelity of the clouds?

What besides heart disease will ever stop the true believers?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

text editor posted:

So I've only skimmed this thread over the years and never really gone mining for the Citizen's Defense Crew stuff until I watched that stream you guys posted last night, but the youtube comments on the carefully curated supercut of that stream are just so...sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2FJMErSDPw

Another "OK now play it the right way"

:stare:

is this a threat + "I'm too mature to actually hit him"?

Think of the glitches as what weeds out the normies

more revenge fantasies

Desync issues? I'm sure it'll work better when we add more than one server into the mix

Pots & kettles, etc

"Normal experience"

This isn't an either/or, but they'll pretend it is

"A sophisticated video game for the refined gameur"

for 1 its not a game its a simulator

I mean how do you have the energy to defend this pile of poo poo, day after day video after video thread after thread? How do you get to the point where you think a "fair" review is one where the review is patient in between the times you define as gameplay doing tedious setup, where the reviewer not move or touch or do anything outside of precisely what you tell them. How do you think the reviewers trying to unearth fun in the jank is a bad thing? Complaining that people finding silver lining on the clouds are ruining the fidelity of the clouds?

What besides heart disease will ever stop the true believers?

They literally have nothing else. It's the hill they have chosen to die on, and so be it, they are going to fight well beyond the bitter end.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
:reddit: ...seamless character-centric design...

What is this, and what is it in the context of Stan Citizerp? Google gives me hardly any hits, and no explanations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Only Kindness posted:

What is this, and what is it in the context of Stan Citizerp? Google gives me hardly any hits, and no explanations.

Read: “FPS but sometimes TPS and always from the character's perspective (except when it isn't)”. But said in a way that makes it less obvious that it's the same as every game ever.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

This particular steamer mentioned a few times he had a script and plan , obviously none of it happened except maybe the part where a dev spawned an idris and lazily flew it around while tanking shots before hitting the self destruct button

It was basically off the rails from the start the only hope of anyone having fun was Linus screwing around

It’s sad that the citizens can’t even be happy for that

Given how poo poo the whole thing was, with a script and the guidance of someone with extensive experience in this thing, I can not even dare imagine how the new, and unguided, player experience must be.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Like Tippis says, they were probably trying to describe how Star Citizen is, in CRs' head, supposed to be an immersive experience that never takes control away from the player and feels like a single-shot film-like virtual experience in a real universe.

Except it isn't like that at all and the game does switch from first-person to third-person for specific parts, it'll also take control away from you for scripted interactions that can't be cancelled. And stuff breaks your immersion all the goddamn time.

"character-centric design" sounds like a redundant phrase, too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It is also an (unintentional) shorthand for “it's an on-foot FPS engine with some poorly tacked-on vehicle gameplay that has been extended way beyond the breaking point”, to insinuate that this is something different from every other FPS from before they all became capable of doing vehicles reasonably well some time in the mid-'00s. It's “character-centric” because that's what the game engine does by default, and also because it couldn't possibly be anything else since they never managed to get the rest working properly (in spite of SC ostensibly being a spaceship game).

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

If you sit in a certain chair, you are teleported 15 million miles into space.
You have to push an arcane key sequence in order to perform mundane tasks.
If you look at your magic PDA while going to bed, you turn into a space ship.
If you press a certain menu button, you die.

Plot twist: Star Citizen is a 1995 adventure game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Blackstone posted:

If you sit in a certain chair, you are teleported 15 million miles into space.
You have to push an arcane key sequence in order to perform mundane tasks.
If you look at your magic PDA while going to bed, you turn into a space ship.
If you press a certain menu button, you die.

Plot twist: Star Citizen is a 1995 adventure game.

Ah yes, the Space Quest of Space Sims.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sierra Citizen

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Apparently LTT built a rig for Sandi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MU-DIKvY3U&t=589s

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

In Space Quest III you wake up on a robot space garbage scow and have to fix a broken ship you find on the there, that whole sequence was pretty cool and the payoff when you finally get to fly out of there is great.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ah yes. Space Quest III. The game that famously very easily fails to give the player the eponymous quest, but makes up for it by having a lot more space than the earlier games.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

marumaru posted:

Chat:
"hit piece incoming"

They can't comprehend that maybe he just thinks the game is poo poo and isn't doing it "for the clicks".
If they took 1 minute to scroll through the types of videos on LTT (and their other channels) there isn't a single game review in there, it's not what they do.

He's been using Doom Eternal as his on-camera benchmark game since it came out.

I think the other funny thing is that they think anyone would bother to write a hit piece on Star Citizen. The games industry continues to produce new stuff and move forward. The only thing being written about Star Citizen is fluff pieces that are just reconfigured press releases. No one even cares enough about SC to go write something about it that actually takes some effort. It's the train-wreck sideshow of the industry that continues to lose appeal the longer it goes on.

Barring some other controversy popping up I imagine the next big article about SC will be written when it quietly shuts down in however many years that takes.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

They can't comprehend that maybe he just thinks the game is poo poo and isn't doing it "for the clicks".
If they took 1 minute to scroll through the types of videos on LTT (and their other channels) there isn't a single game review in there, it's not what they do.

this video isn't going on LTT, though, it's apparently going on techlinked (?)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The way the Shitizens preemptively build up the narrative that Linus will be a biased shittalker reminds me very much of Trump dismissing mail-in votes months in advance.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Secretly the Space Quest 7 we never got.

My god, Chris Roberts IS a genius.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1368972600462950409
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1368956914256801801
https://twitter.com/Richard__HD/status/1368972705152851972

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 8, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Hmm, they left out a certain personal grooming enthusiast...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Chuds being pissy about March 8th will never get old :allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/GiorgioTsoukal3/status/1368991183033270275
https://twitter.com/AvalonTarkov/status/1368992299280183297

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

It is also an (unintentional) shorthand for “it's an on-foot FPS engine with some poorly tacked-on vehicle gameplay that has been extended way beyond the breaking point”, to insinuate that this is something different from every other FPS from before they all became capable of doing vehicles reasonably well some time in the mid-'00s. It's “character-centric” because that's what the game engine does by default, and also because it couldn't possibly be anything else since they never managed to get the rest working properly (in spite of SC ostensibly being a spaceship game).

I don't want to empty quote, but this. :)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's good to know that "Trans people exist" is not the only sentiment mistaken for politics by chuds these days

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Sarsapariller posted:

It's good to know that "Trans people exist" is not the only sentiment mistaken for politics by chuds these days

Overlapping cults? 🤔

marumaru
May 20, 2013

limaCAT posted:

Overlapping cults? 🤔

citizens not being exactly woke is not news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Maybe because everyday for the last 10,000 years has been International Men's Day?