Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1368673941938708485?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What is Biden's foreign policy regarding the Boris Premiership and Britain in general?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Grouchio posted:

What is Biden's foreign policy regarding the Boris Premiership and Britain in general?

Biden's a staunch supporter of the Good Friday Agreement and has had some beefs with Boris in particular on a personal level, not to mention a very different view of the EU and trade. I think they've been trying to patch things up, but I remember the GOP/Tories making a fuss about Biden replacing the Churchill bust in the oval office with that of Cesar Chavez. There was also some recent jabber about the U.S.-UK Trade Deal being jeopardized over some Brexit chicanery.

I don't imagine he'll be exporting a People's Revolution anytime soon, but we might get more instances of Biden making fun of the BBC and proclaiming Irish solidarity at random.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think it's kind of interesting that they had nothing bad to say about the Queen, but nothing good to say about Charles and William.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I hope we abolish the monarchy in my lifetime. That would be nice.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

a pipe smoking dog posted:

i think we should go with the french model of monarchy removal, personally.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

I think it's kind of interesting that they had nothing bad to say about the Queen, but nothing good to say about Charles and William.

To be honest that's most people's views especially regarding Charles

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rumda posted:

To be honest that's most people's views especially regarding Charles

For sure, as I was saying to a yank thread on twitter there's widespread expectation that once Brenda goes the monarchy's general popularity will be imperiled because she is widely respected and beloved (rightly or wrongly) while his star has never been much in the ascendant. And it's not uncommon to see people say things like "If we have to have a monarch we could do much worse than Liz" or "I'm a republican but I'm okay with holding off on enacting that until Brenda goes". It may be simply refusing to take aim at her because she's far more popular than the rest of them and thus risks their sympathy, or it may be that 'Er Maj actually is less lovely than the rest - my guess is some of each with the latter somewhat stemming from an attitude that she should not have to get her hands dirty with such things, and Matters better be handled by others before she even had to think about it.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how things shake out from here on though!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Oh, I missed early hours games chat. I got a new gaming laptop recently and currently am using it mostly to play Minesweeper online. It’s a very relaxing way to fill an hour or two.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

I'm personally partial to the idea of an automatic referendum on the future of the monarchy before the coronation of each new monarch. Seems about the only proper way to do a once in a generation referendum.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I didn't really have an opinion either way on the current royal thing, but seeing it make the worst people in the country extremely angry has put me firmly in the Hazza & Megz camp.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The thing about the Queen is, she's reigned for so incredibly long that only a few very old people can remember having any other monarch. It'll be a real shock to people when Charles (or possibly sulky William) steps up.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It certainly seems like the interview provided no new information. People in the Royal Family are racist. Privileged people don't care about mental illness. If you annoy them they'll cut all your money off and force you to do massive media blitzes to make ends meet.

I do wonder if there's been conversations about skipping over Charles and going straight to William. He's younger so likely to be in the position for 40+ years, has a nice young (white) family, and doesn't have the baggage that Charles does. If you're concerned about rising republican sentiment following the death of the Queen who has all sorts of emotional connections to people, what you don't want to do is follow that with 20 years of someone people don't particularly like.

Obviously I'd prefer to get rid of the lot of them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ms Adequate posted:

For sure, as I was saying to a yank thread on twitter there's widespread expectation that once Brenda goes the monarchy's general popularity will be imperiled because she is widely respected and beloved (rightly or wrongly) while his star has never been much in the ascendant. And it's not uncommon to see people say things like "If we have to have a monarch we could do much worse than Liz" or "I'm a republican but I'm okay with holding off on enacting that until Brenda goes". It may be simply refusing to take aim at her because she's far more popular than the rest of them and thus risks their sympathy, or it may be that 'Er Maj actually is less lovely than the rest - my guess is some of each with the latter somewhat stemming from an attitude that she should not have to get her hands dirty with such things, and Matters better be handled by others before she even had to think about it.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how things shake out from here on though!

Yeah pragmatically the Queen is so widely beloved that any UK republican movement is more or less doomed as long as she's on the throne. I'd have been amazed to see even the lightest direct criticism of her come out of this Oprah interview, you simply don't talk poo poo about Brenda in public and expect to retain any sympathy at all. I don't think most people give a poo poo about the rest of them with the possible exception, funnily enough, of Harry, who still has a pretty sympathetic profile as both Diana's bereaved son and the least obviously weird one, who you could imagine sitting down to have a beer with the common folk. The papers might have gone all-in on attacking his wife for being American and black, but I doubt most people really care about that stuff as much as the ARE TRADITIONS mob would have you believe. Despite all the fawning publicity over William's marriage and children and the air ambulance work he doesn't have nearly the same profile.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol if the Brits take after the Thai royal succession albeit in a slightly more urbane fashion

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

EvilHawk posted:

I do wonder if there's been conversations about skipping over Charles and going straight to William. He's younger so likely to be in the position for 40+ years, has a nice young (white) family, and doesn't have the baggage that Charles does. If you're concerned about rising republican sentiment following the death of the Queen who has all sorts of emotional connections to people, what you don't want to do is follow that with 20 years of someone people don't particularly like.
I did some polite enquiring about this when a few people were enthusiastically talking about royal gossip in an office I used to work at. They told me that it's not going to be an issue because Charles is going to die before Brenda

They were absolutely certain about this, and these are people who love the royals & support the monarchy. idgi

e: I get the implication that Brenda is going to murder her firstborn son, it's the "& that's cool & normal" that stumps me

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://mobile.twitter.com/KathrynBristow/status/1368605327701270532

This seems great, now kick out the TERFs and the woowoo mystic healing dickheads and the Greens might be worth a vote

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Borrovan posted:

I did some polite enquiring about this when a few people were enthusiastically talking about royal gossip in an office I used to work at. They told me that it's not going to be an issue because Charles is going to die before Brenda

They were absolutely certain about this, and these are people who love the royals & support the monarchy. idgi

e: I get the implication that Brenda is going to murder her firstborn son, it's the "& that's cool & normal" that stumps me

She’s going to have him buried alive with her, like pharaohs did with their servants.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Saying y'all or all y'all sounds like you are doing a bit so I don't do that

It's impossible to say in an english accent and not have everyone in the room laugh at you. It's like americans saying wanker or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Borrovan posted:

I mean, honestly, I'd be more worried if Brenda actually wanted to keep him around for some reason

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Lungboy posted:

This seems great, now kick out the TERFs and the woowoo mystic healing dickheads and the Greens might be worth a vote
Also literally everyone involved in teaming up with the LDs to split the Remain vote on a platform of lies & hand swing seats to the Tories

It's only been like 15 months, I'm still gonna judge them by their actual tangible actions when they actually had the power to affect something

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Someone royal was asking how dark-skinned was Harry and Meghan's kid going to be.

Let's be real - that combo of ignorance and casual racism could only be the work of Big Phil

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I really do hope Anna Pasternak never gets to grace my TV ever again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jippa posted:

It's impossible to say in an english accent and not have everyone in the room laugh at you. It's like americans saying wanker or something.

I say folk, because I always have. There is one clear sign that you're in the precense of absolute dipshits it's people saying 'folx' like one group I'm in.

If people think the UKMT thread is insular and wildly aggressive (it is) to people they need to get into the anti-racism FB group I'm in. There's mandatory reading material which is all just screenshots of other peoples instagram posts, if an admin replies to your comment you must reply to them or they prob you. Half the posts are just calls to brigade some American's social media posts for being racist (this is a 100% UK based group). The other half are links to news stories where 'wheat' people are expected to reply with how bad it is, or risk being banned.

And obviously links to all the admins cashapps so you can pay them for it.

Imagine if Jose quoted you and you had to reply or get probed and you were expected to pay him for it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My computer gaming time has gone way down since Bad Screen and Good Screen became the same screen tbh, after work I generally leave the (home) office and go lie down with a book.

Edit: and as literally a white British dude married to a black American woman yeah some of this poo poo is familiar.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 8, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Aramoro posted:

mandatory reading material which is all just screenshots of other peoples instagram posts,

Lmao

Aramoro posted:

Imagine if Jose quoted you and you had to reply or get probed and you were expected to pay him for it.

Seems fair actually.

Why the gently caress are you in this group, then?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Aramoro posted:

There's mandatory reading material which is all just screenshots of other peoples instagram posts, if an admin replies to your comment you must reply to them or they prob you. Half the posts are just calls to brigade some American's social media posts for being racist (this is a 100% UK based group). The other half are links to news stories where 'wheat' people are expected to reply with how bad it is, or risk being banned.

jfc it's no wonder we're losing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

Wait you all aren't paying Jose?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I pay by the word, so if he ever posts more than "lmao" I'll be ruined

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mod Fin-Dom. Fin-Mod?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Right wing groups are just as bad, they just have unbelievable amounts of money behind them so you have to take them seriously

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I say folk, because I always have. There is one clear sign that you're in the precense of absolute dipshits it's people saying 'folx' like one group I'm in.

If people think the UKMT thread is insular and wildly aggressive (it is) to people they need to get into the anti-racism FB group I'm in. There's mandatory reading material which is all just screenshots of other peoples instagram posts, if an admin replies to your comment you must reply to them or they prob you. Half the posts are just calls to brigade some American's social media posts for being racist (this is a 100% UK based group). The other half are links to news stories where 'wheat' people are expected to reply with how bad it is, or risk being banned.

:lol: :stare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

EvilHawk posted:

It certainly seems like the interview provided no new information. People in the Royal Family are racist. Privileged people don't care about mental illness. If you annoy them they'll cut all your money off and force you to do massive media blitzes to make ends meet.

Charlie boy has actual ambitions for the royal family and wants to reform things though - he wants the British royal family to be more like the European ones with a smaller core and make the whole thing less public. If you're outside the immediate core royal family you has better get a job because the gravy train is drying up.

Also he's probably a fash

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why the gently caress are you in this group, then?

So some folk in my village (well the one over from my but the nearest village with a shop) put up a BLM banner and people in the local Facebook group got all antsy about the banner defacing the village. So I went in swinging and called them all racists, because you know they were. So the guy who put up the banner invited me to this group, it's notionally called and education group. I thought it might be interesting but actually it's insane.

I've been probed once for saying Ghana's excess deaths reporting system is not as advanced as France's.

Right now the group is eating itself a bit as they have ousted one of the Asian admins for being anti-black and the admin is going through calling out 'wheat' posters who liked any of the other admins posts to make them explain their actions.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 8, 2021

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Charlie boy has actual ambitions for the royal family and wants to reform things though - he wants the British royal family to be more like the European ones with a smaller core and make the whole thing less public. If you're outside the immediate core royal family you has better get a job because the gravy train is drying up.

Also he's probably a fash

Yeah Prince Charles has some very strong eco-fash vibes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
France's West African excess deaths system is called L'armée de Terre.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Has anyone been to Charles' weird utopian Disney village? Would love to see an effort post about what the gently caress is actually going on there (other than paedo stuff and Hot Fuzz-style death cults)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

EvilHawk posted:

I believe this idea was broached multiple times during the period where Charles was at his most unpopular (from Diana's death until a while after his marriage to Camilla) and he's supposedly said no every time. The man wants the crown he's been waiting on his whole life.

I actually do kind of wonder if Charles is going to be as bad for the monarchy as many people think. Those who dislike him personally (as opposed to disliking monarchy in general) seem to be mostly members of the right-wing press, royal gossips, and dyed in the wool royalists, and to a certain extent once he's king and essentially welded to the institution itself, a lot of those people are obliged to fall in line and shut up lest they lose their grift by Britain becoming a republic. The cynic in me says that's why in recent years you hear basically nothing about Charles' baggage any more from them, and why they've switched to focusing on the non-inheriting son--they know which side their bread is buttered on. And by the time he takes the throne, less than half of the population will have been adults when Diana died, so a lot of the personal baggage is going to be stuff that the younger half of the population don't even remember all that well, and heck, even if you do dimly remember it, it's probably going to be "the tabloid media hated Charles" which isn't exactly a damning status to have. Heck insofar as his political views are well known, the two things he's well known for are environmentalism and multiculturalism, so I'd expect lots of thinkpieces upon his ascension about how the new King has been ahead before his time for decades in an attempt to make us focus on the thing he happened to be right on, rather than the wealth and privilege that let him voice those views.

I'm sure there will be talk of republicanism when Brenda shuffles off, but I guess what I'm saying is, don't underestimate the ability of the British establishment to rehabilitate the image of its most important member.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'll be a good time to widen any cracks that form.

There's a good chunk of people that just don't like change. Against a republic not on any moral grounds but because it's change. Against metric not on any mathematical grounds but because change. The people you see on the BBC who claim to be against changing the road signs to km because they're smaller so you'll get less far on a tank or whatever but really it's the change.

They'll feel that strange alienated feeling that makes people who were five when decimalization happened long for shillings and big penes pennies the moment that the face on all the money and stamps changes, assuming that we haven't gone fully cashless by then. That's a crack you can stick a wedge in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think Charles understands that without the goodwill of Brenda the monarchy needs to be less expensive and less of a scandal magnet, which is why he wants to make the whole thing more boring and professional.

Def agree that he wants that crown though