Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I didn’t know about it on my first trip through, either. I think the disconnect is that they don’t actually explain what the restriction is (being unable to do specials above lv 1) and so you might not even notice a difference unless you are already using Tora? Anyway you pretty much have to use Tora & Poppi to beat the unique monster in there, if you’re into that.

Don't they tell you that you should probably play Tora around the start of the dungeon in a cutscene? I seem to remember everyone feeling weary except Tora, so someone suggests that Tora take point and lead the way.

Zopotantor posted:

I just learned that a few days ago from ChaosArgate’s Let’s Play. :bang:

I don't even remember why we were talking about the Spirit Crucible in that LP, but I'm glad someone learned a thing from it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah I don't know why but I remember it being pretty obvious that Poppi was an exception to that area. God my memories of that game are so foggy.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't they tell you that you should probably play Tora around the start of the dungeon in a cutscene? I seem to remember everyone feeling weary except Tora, so someone suggests that Tora take point and lead the way.

I don't even remember why we were talking about the Spirit Crucible in that LP, but I'm glad someone learned a thing from it. :v:

gently caress. I’m watching too many Let's Plays. :eng99:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ChaosArgate posted:

It tells you to use Tora but it also didn’t say what the penalty was so I guess I didn’t care enough to use Tora. It also took me most of the way through the dungeon to realize why I couldn’t do specials above lv 1.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did y’all try using Poppi in the Spirit Crucible? She isn’t affected by the restrictions hope that helps!

Anything that's not a "true" blade is unaffected, so you can get enough blades to equip everybody without needing to use Tora. Mostly useful for going back through later on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I didn't use Tora in there because Tiger Tiger makes me want to put a Poppi Buster to my head

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The game warned me but Tora is a trash creation and I slammed my face against that wall rather than use him.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chronojam posted:

Anything that's not a "true" blade is unaffected, so you can get enough blades to equip everybody without needing to use Tora. Mostly useful for going back through later on.

I don’t know what you mean by “true” blade? Are there specific ones that are okay?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t know what you mean by “true” blade? Are there specific ones that are okay?

I think Poppibuster counts, as do Shulk and Melia if you're on NG+.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah; Shulk, Fiora, Elma, Poppibuster, and of course the normal Poppis

They're mechanically blades in the game, but just people/robots. So the Elpys gimmick doesn't impact them.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 5, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Melia? Did I miss a last dlc for 2? Don't you mean Fiora? Spoilered just in case.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You're entirely right, I just woke up

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Is KOS-MOS effected?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WrightOfWay posted:

Is KOS-MOS effected?

I don’t think she’s literally Android Mary Magdalene like in Xenosaga so she’s still a regular Blade and is affected.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Whoever decided that you would need certain field skills to proceed down the critical path in the World Tree should be beaten to death with their anime waifu pillow. I know it's not that hard to get the skills, but it's just such a ridiculous and needless decision, and it's really stupid that you may have to stop in your tracks and do other things to acquire those skills at a climactic point in the game.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand it's pretty standard JRPG trope that the end of the world can be on indefinite hold while you finish up those cooking quests you meant to take care of. It wasn't my favorite but fell into the same general mild irritation bucket as "you need to grind more levels before continuing this plot boss that kicked your rear end" that every JRPG seems obsessed with.

That said, I'm just glad the devs threw the combination bones of "inactive party member blades still count for those checks" and "you can trick the game into removing some party member's non-deactivatable blades that may not have those skills with master driver rex" so cheesing the checks with bunches of Lv1 blades is still usually doable.

I was moderately surprised that they actually updated the state of the world to acknowledge every Titan being around the tree and the Indol survivors/refugees being in random spots, given that "canonically" you should have your rear end on fire chasing whatever antagonist from C7 straight through to the end

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I finished the game tonight, and I think I enjoyed the cheesy, anime-cliche story, but I didn't really enjoy playing the game. I understand the battle system and appreciate its intricacies, but it seems one-note in that you're only ever focused on adding those elemental orbs so you can do chain attacks that last forever. The final boss even forces you to do this with its ridiculous part-wipe move. I actively avoided fighting most of the time just because the battles could be so long, which is something I never did in XC1. And I almost never fought named enemies because I knew I would invest 10 minutes, and if I couldn't get a chain attack before they hit their rage phase, then some bullshit would instantly kill me. I also did very few side quests so I beat the game in about 45 hours. I guess I missed out on seeing Poppi hit ultimate perviness with Poppi's final form since I never visited his house again after getting more party members.

That said I don't think this game's story had any twists on the level of XC1's the Bionis is actually evil and hates its worshipers. Though I do like that it expands more on the absolutely bonkers twist from the very very end of XC1.

I will say one thing that I did think was pretty poorly-done about the story was (endgame spoilers for the Torna crew) how every time one of the Torna guys dies, you get a sad flashback about how sad their lives were, even though with the exception of Jin and Malos they had a combined 10 minutes of prior screentime. Mikhail and Patroka are barely characters, and Akhos spends 99% of the game being such an awful smug prick that I didn't really want a sad cutscene about his backstory.

Darth Nat fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 6, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How am I supposed to be doling out these free DLC Rare and Legendary Core items? I already got 3 unique Blades for Rex. Should I be saving them up to try to gacha for cool unique Blades for each party member? Blow through all of them on Rex and Nia? Should I be worried about getting a unique Blade on the wrong driver?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cephas posted:

How am I supposed to be doling out these free DLC Rare and Legendary Core items? I already got 3 unique Blades for Rex. Should I be saving them up to try to gacha for cool unique Blades for each party member? Blow through all of them on Rex and Nia? Should I be worried about getting a unique Blade on the wrong driver?
Recommended idea is to pull a few on Rex but not too many because he gets a ton of free/guaranteed stuff. Nia gets a few until you have some nice healers, and then go ham on the party members after that. I'd recommend getting a lance or katana on Rex and a bitball on Nia, because those weapons have access to Break on them which is the most important status you can inflict. You get a guaranteed Blade from a spider boss fairly early which is strongly recommended on Rex because it's super strong and a lance.

Honestly don't worry too much, most of the time the best strategy is to stick to one strong Blade and load the other slots with whatever you want and give them Hunter's Chemistry Aux Cores, which is unique in that it's one of the only Aux Cores that applies its effects even when the specific Blade is not out in combat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You should have gotten a bunch of Overdrive Protocols if you have the expansion pass. You can use those to swap Blades between Drivers, so it's not a huge deal if you, say, pull a good tank Blade on Nia and want to transfer it to a later party member. That said, I wouldn't spend all of your cores on just Rex and Nia.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to really go out of your way, around 60% or so into the game rex will get the ability to equip everyone elses blades so theoretically, you should never open them on rex.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cephas posted:

Adding in the DLC gives you some guaranteed blades. Ebullient Core Crystal is a fire element healer bitball named Crossette that'll do well on Nia.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Playing this game just re-reminds me how spoiled I got on games like Bravely Default that gives you your full party from the word go and there's no bullshit with trying to premptively guess if someone's going to leave/come back/be temporarily disabled/heel turn/be revealed to be a blade lol. Certainly not as bad as some other games I could mention, but I feel like I would have prioritized/equipped things differently if I had known how the back half of the game was going to look like party member wise-- it feels like you should be using Nia as a blade canonically, especially given that they give you a bespoke Pyra/Nia combo, but I was running Nia haler/Morag tank/Rex dps up until that point and "fixing" that means probably swapping Morag to healer with all the WP grinding that entails and either grinding WP for Zeke as a tank or dealing with extensive Poppi farming

Cephas posted:

In addition to the above, some points worth noting:
- Any "named" core crystals will always result in the same blade, so if you use cloud saves you can savescum those pulls if you don't want to pre-spoil yourself on what blade/role will pop out of those. (Also, if you want to, you can savescum your limited legendary core crystals, since the RNG for those does seem to change in a way that means pulling/reloading/re-pulling will get you different results.)
- Because I really wish someone had one of these handy for me, this https://i.imgur.com/dZjngT2.png is a full list of blades you can pull from random, non-named crystals on your first playthrough before completing the main quest. If you have all of those there are no more that will show up; one more is added to that pool after you complete the main quest.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Playing this game just re-reminds me how spoiled I got on games like Bravely Default that gives you your full party from the word go and there's no bullshit with trying to premptively guess if someone's going to leave/come back/be temporarily disabled/heel turn/be revealed to be a blade lol. Certainly not as bad as some other games I could mention, but I feel like I would have prioritized/equipped things differently if I had known how the back half of the game was going to look like party member wise-- it feels like you should be using Nia as a blade canonically, especially given that they give you a bespoke Pyra/Nia combo, but I was running Nia haler/Morag tank/Rex dps up until that point and "fixing" that means probably swapping Morag to healer with all the WP grinding that entails and either grinding WP for Zeke as a tank or dealing with extensive Poppi farming

Screw optimal. I benched Rex's rear end about halfway through the game and rolled with my favorite party of Nia, Morag, and Zeke and I did fine. I even beat all the superbosses. Use whatever party you want and hang what the game subtly, or not so subtly, tells you to do!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can use anyone you want except Tora*.

*Morally, not like, mechanically

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
If I were going to give more detailed advice about blade strategy with DLC in mind:

Give Rex 1-2 blades from named/specific core crystals. Wulfric is a good choice, but it can honestly be whatever. Corvin is also a very good choice from the DLC for him, but you may want to overdrive him away later.

Open enough blades on Nia that you feel like she’s not a liability - with DLC, giving her Crosette is a real good choice. Once she has a few unique blitzball and claw and ring options, it’s probably wise to stop pulling; you’ll probably need to overdrive some good poo poo away from her eventually.

The 4th driver wants Katanas mostly. But also mostly just wants the default blade they start with. There are also several named crystals that are extremely good here. Overdriving Corvin over would be a very good idea here and you can open some more crystals here, but mostly I would still sit on them because....

The 5th driver basically wants every blade under the sun. My general strategy was to open every blade on him, and the overdrive away any tank blades to the 4th driver and a few key healer blades to Nia.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Progress on Xenoblade 1 has been slow since I've been working down my backlog of Resident Evil titles, but I got to Prison Island and feel dumb for not noticing in advance what in retrospect was a siren horn foreshadowing of a reveal. A step ahead of Dunban though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Nearly wrapped up with Xenoblade: DE now. I forgot what a loving great ride the original is. I also forgot how much kickass music it features and have learned to appreciate some of the themes more on a second playthrough - Mechonis Field in particular is so loving awesome. It's going to suck actually ending it again because I'll get that empty pit in my stomach after you finish a huge, fantastic game and are looking at your backlog where nothing compares.

I liked almost all aspects of the game more than the sequel and I really hope there is a third (technically fourth) game where they go back to the basics that made Xenoblade Chronicles so great. The DE really adds the finishing touches it needed to be a classic and reduces much of the tedium, sidequesting in particular is much more chill.

Anyways yeah, what a cool game. I have no idea how it managed to get made, its such a crazy story and concept.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Xenoblade 3 should just be a remake of Xenogears but with a bootleg cast to avoid lawsuits.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

XBX2! XBX2!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Nia is not a very good blade at all so there's no real reason to use her as one.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to do all the Alcamoth quests in XC1 and I dunno how anyone would be able to complete half of these without using a guide. I mean it's easy enough usually but having to find a specific person on the map at a specific time also depending if you've done a quest for someone else in another town and then finding out you've not talked to that person in the other town to trigger the quest. I've had to go back to frontier village and do like 5 quests in a row to trigger one quest in Alcamoth.

I'm now powerful enough to take out territorial rotbart though which is nice.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are you playing Definitive Edition? Because they really streamlined all of that by letting you highlight specific NPC’s on your map (once you’ve talked to them) and track specific quests so that you can see blue ! on the map to know where to go. Huge improvement, especially over the 3DS version where you can barely see anything let alone a tiny white !

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are you playing Definitive Edition? Because they really streamlined all of that by letting you highlight specific NPC’s on your map (once you’ve talked to them) and track specific quests so that you can see blue ! on the map to know where to go. Huge improvement, especially over the 3DS version where you can barely see anything let alone a tiny white !

Yeah I am, I can see that named npc's do come up as a little dot on the mini radar but not the big map when you press the y button. Unless I'm missing something which I probably am.

I thought I was doing ok with the quests but I've missed a load it seems.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the topic of side quests in XC1: every time I try to play I end up getting overwhelmed by the number of side quests and not being sure how important they all are. Is there any way to tell which side quests are like "you should probably do these/these unlock something very useful" versus which ones are like "do these if you feel like it I guess"?

Somehow I managed to navigate XC2 well enough but I haven't gotten far in XC1 yet because my very bad brain can't help but try to understand all the systems at once and short circuits.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Also I didn't realise there were additional skill trees as I just unlocked a fourth one for Melia after talking to someone.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

On the topic of side quests in XC1: every time I try to play I end up getting overwhelmed by the number of side quests and not being sure how important they all are. Is there any way to tell which side quests are like "you should probably do these/these unlock something very useful" versus which ones are like "do these if you feel like it I guess"?

Somehow I managed to navigate XC2 well enough but I haven't gotten far in XC1 yet because my very bad brain can't help but try to understand all the systems at once and short circuits.

Any one with a unique name has a reasonable chance of being critical to advancing the development level sooner or later. Unfortunately even with the DE changes its still a huge pain in the arse to reach the end of the world development, you even have to speak to people impacted by previous quests to prompt the availability of a new one in several cases, even though you have absolutely no idea if this is necessary

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
More than any other quest, look out for anything relating to red pollen orbs. It'll pay off

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The larger problem here is that many quests are unlocked by raising local affinity, which you get by doing quests, or by expanding NPC relationships, which you get by doing quests. And talking to everyone at least twice, because they say different things during the day and at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

track day bro! posted:

Yeah I am, I can see that named npc's do come up as a little dot on the mini radar but not the big map when you press the y button. Unless I'm missing something which I probably am.

I thought I was doing ok with the quests but I've missed a load it seems.

If you open the affinity chart you can scroll through a list of residents of a particular area of Bionis by pressing the button labeled “Residents” and then if you find the name of the NPC you want to find, there’s an option to track them. The person being tracked will have a magnifying glass icon over them on your full map (once you’re in the actual area, iirc)