Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

You son of a bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

New Phantasm lookin good

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I 2005 I rented a house with some college friends and it had a mostly unfinished basement... except for a windowless room with a couple dozen 20A outlets. Gee I wonder

Growverhaus

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

In my college town a bus driver ran over a kid hiding in a pile of leaves to surprise his dad when he got off the bus.

I drove the same route. hosed up poo poo.

Uthor posted:

I've heard a story like that, but the dad hitting the kid. Could be an urban legend, though.

Plausible though. Many drivers at least look at a big pile of leaves and think "man, that would explode so good if I drove into it" but kids also have similar thoughts and go play in them.

My driver's-ed teacher said when he was a teenager he went to drive through a pile of leaves once and a kid popped his head out like a prairie-dog with just enough time for the teacher to fling his car back onto the road. Again, it could just be something to scare us, but could just as easily be true.

(Not sure I buy someone doing that with a bus though.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Whereas I look at it and think either "there's probably something solid inside for all those leaves to have collected in one spot", or "someone put a lot of effort into raking up those leaves, I'm not going to be the rear end in a top hat that scatters them all around again".

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the urban legend where i grew up was that people put cinder blocks in their leaf piles so people wouldn't drive through them

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

boar guy posted:

the urban legend where i grew up was that people put cinder blocks in their leaf piles so people wouldn't drive through them twice

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

boar guy posted:

the urban legend where i grew up was that people put cinder blocks in their leaf piles so people wouldn't drive through them

Snowman built around a fire hydrant was the one I heard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Driving through a normal snowman would gently caress your car up anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Where exactly are all these piles of leaves with easy access for cars?

Or are buses just driving out to the suburbs and up onto people lawns to get at the leaf piles?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We were taught in Driver's Ed to never drive through a pile of leaves, or a box in the road; pretty much: anything in the road, especially if it's large enough to hold a kid or a dog.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

boar guy posted:

I heard that one, too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I avoided anything, even Coke cans on the road for a few years after I got back from Iraq (and I had a largely uneventful tour). I've talked to other people that had it much worse. IED awareness is a bitch.

Nathaniel Fick (the real-life lieutenant from Generation Kill) talked about how much he freaked his wife out because when he got back, he would always change lanes suddenly while he was under an overpass before coming out the other side.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GD_American posted:

Nathaniel Fick (the real-life lieutenant from Generation Kill) talked about how much he freaked his wife out because when he got back, he would always change lanes suddenly while he was under an overpass before coming out the other side.

What's that one about? People dropping grenades onto the vehicle from the bridge?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

What's that one about? People dropping grenades onto the vehicle from the bridge?

Yeah. I can't find the specific quote I read, but this is from another place:

quote:

In Iraq, he figures the low-grade headaches are a result of too little sleep, too many hours of forced hyperawareness, too many packets of instant coffee crystals dumped straight and bitter onto his tongue. The part of him that always knows where Brad is, like the needle of a compass or a divining rod, he passes off as being a good CO, always knowing where his men are. He'll sleep it all off when the war is over. Whenever that is. Right now, what he wants most is to get everyone through this alive.

By the time they get home, he's so used to the slight pressure in his temples and the low buzzing in his ears and the back of his throat that he doesn't remember what a clear head feels like. Driving on the freeway, he swerves randomly beneath each overpass and doesn't notice until it's brought to his attention. He's not the only one with headaches and trouble sleeping; he's definitely not the only one who looks instinctively for muzzle flashes when a car backfires.

He can pop Motrin for the pain but there's nothing to be done for his jagged nerves. Rudy suggests more yoga, his mom suggests meditation, Patrick suggests he get laid. The Corps suggests a promotion, and Nate finds himself a Captain.

There's a small voice in the back of his head that says, This isn't what you want, and it's getting louder day by day.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Blue On Blue posted:

spotter wasn't spotting anything when he was backing up, he only comes into view to stop traffic once he's moving forward again. so kind of defeats the purpose I think

Not to defend them, but at such a busy spot management should have taken more precautions to prevent this. A second spotter or hell, someone controlling pedestrian traffic would have saved a human life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GD_American posted:

Snowman built around a fire hydrant was the one I heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHCs3tRSuY

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

:discourse:

Potato Salad posted:

I'll donate $50 to SA if someone with the ability to do so (admins I think) makes this an XL smiley
I think if someone buys it as an AV so it's uploaded to the SA server the thread could petition a friendly mod for some thread tags (I don't think there's already a tag for the OSHA thread?)

There is, but why not both?

:parrot:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Drive on the roads you assholes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

a sexual elk posted:

Drive on the roads you assholes

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

boar guy posted:

I did this except with glass bottles and piles of cut grass.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where exactly are all these piles of leaves with easy access for cars?

Or are buses just driving out to the suburbs and up onto people lawns to get at the leaf piles?

Some people rake their leaves onto the road for municipal sucker-truck pickup.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Some people rake their leaves onto the road for municipal sucker-truck pickup.

or to slow down traffic.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Some Guy From NY posted:

holy poo poo.

Warning: The person does not survive this.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/06/woman-found-dead-in-street-may-have-been-hit-by-car-cops-say/

------

Heartbreaking video obtained by The Post has solved the mystery of what happened to a woman found crushed to death Friday on a Brooklyn street — she was struck by a backhoe whose driver apparently never even saw her.

The video shows the yellow construction vehicle striking 61-year-old Estelle Davis with its shovel before running her over and dragging her along the corner of New Lots and Van Sinderen Avenues in East New York.

Neither the driver nor a worker nearby appears to notice as Davis falls and then disappears under the vehicle.

----------

There was even a spotter for the backhoe and this still happened.

I'm not watching a video of someone dying, but was the backhoe making the traditional "Beep beep, I'm backing up" warning?

I just remember a video - I think it was a Tom Scott one - about how the monotonal beep is notoriously difficult to figure out what direction it's coming from and places have been switching to white noise that much easier to pinpoint for this exact reason.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We used to just burn them when I was a kid. No one hits a flaming pile of leaves with their car on purpose.

Well, no one smart.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Raking your precious grass free of leaves and piling into street is an essential part of LawN Order

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm not watching a video of someone dying, but was the backhoe making the traditional "Beep beep, I'm backing up" warning?

I just remember a video - I think it was a Tom Scott one - about how the monotonal beep is notoriously difficult to figure out what direction it's coming from and places have been switching to white noise that much easier to pinpoint for this exact reason.

The video had no sound. But even if it didn't beep, construction equipment is usually pretty loud and she just walks into it at about the same speed as it was reversing. Not to victim blame, but I wonder if she had hearing or vision problems, or was just staring at her phone.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The video had no sound. But even if it didn't beep, construction equipment is usually pretty loud and she just walks into it at about the same speed as it was reversing. Not to victim blame, but I wonder if she had hearing or vision problems, or was just staring at her phone.

Back in philly, I heard a story of someone who had a hoodie on (so no peripheral vision) and headphones in (so no auditory clues) who walked right out into the road and was hit by a trolley. If I recall, they survived but were badly hurt. Despite screeching like loving mad around curves due to the lack of a differential, I kept my head on a swivel for those fuckers. Low engine noise since they were electric-powered.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

I only watched it once but it looks like the victim was staring at her phone as I didn't notice a single movement of the'oh poo poo' variety what so ever.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

If the thing about the typical beep being hard to locate is correct, it's also possible she heard it and misidentified the source's location and didn't realize it was right on next to her.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DelphiAegis posted:

Back in philly, I heard a story of someone who had a hoodie on (so no peripheral vision) and headphones in (so no auditory clues) who walked right out into the road and was hit by a trolley. If I recall, they survived but were badly hurt. Despite screeching like loving mad around curves due to the lack of a differential, I kept my head on a swivel for those fuckers. Low engine noise since they were electric-powered.

I've nearly been knocked off my bicycle twice by Prius' sneaking up on me on me in milk float mode

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

plus if you're in a city that's constantly full of the sounds of construction and jackhammers echoing off the buildings I can imagine you'd get some sort of 'alarm fatigue' and just learn to ignore it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

azurite posted:

New Phantasm lookin good

Just watched it all the way through recently, pretty awesome movie.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

I have seen a video of a horse carcase being disposed in one of those, it might have even been a legit pr release.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

*sigh*

"It looks like we're walking to Mordor, boys."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I was half expecting someone to try and reach in to fish it out

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Now someone post the looping gif of the truck that never hits the cement pylon or whatever.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

DelphiAegis posted:

Back in philly, I heard a story of someone who had a hoodie on (so no peripheral vision) and headphones in (so no auditory clues) who walked right out into the road and was hit by a trolley.
Under the same circumstances I was within one step of getting creamed by a train in San Diego. Was about to take the fatal step when I wondered why the car traffic barrier I stepped through was there when there was no cross street then ZOOM Caltrain right in front of me.

Was young, dumb, and full of luck apparently with my new iPod.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This has been posted before, right?

https://i.imgur.com/1e0KTuW.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

This has been posted before, right?

https://i.imgur.com/1e0KTuW.mp4