Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

"Interactive fiction" has kind of expanded into a wider category than it has historically been, so I'm not really sure how to answer that. However, I think if you have a strong idea of what the gameplay should look like, then picking an engine later might be okay. Just note that many of the engines commonly used for IF are different enough that the resulting game might end up drastically different, and that unless you're literally doing a CYOA-style game it's probably going to be more complicated than directly inputting all the information.

Depending on what kind of game you want to make there might be a very obvious answer to "what engine should I use" - for example if you're making a CYOA with no images or UI variations ChoiceScript would be very straightforward, but if you're doing a parser game you'd have to use an explicit parser game engine. Twine is a generally cool general-purpose engine, but it isn't really optimized for parser stuff. If you can describe some of what you're looking for somebody could probably give more targeted advice.

So, of course, I have these grand ideas of writing the next great text adventure, but right now, I'm setting my sights considerably lower. I'm kind of thinking of a moment-to-moment set of choices, kind of like the very earliest IF games. So, not so much being dropped into a world and having full freedom(though, parser limited), so much as proceeding through a story version of the conversation trees of Morrowind. So, the game outputs a block of texts, with certain words highlighted to click on and gain more information, as well as the option to ask a set of questions or take a set of actions. Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
IF games are still a going thing, with the parser and everything. I believe the current version of the language is Inform 7. Dunno about clickable words though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I dunno anything about IF but twine has click able words at least, though I'm not sure if it has support for being able to write in commands like a more traditional text adventure game.

It may also be worth looking into renpy, an engine for making visual novels. May not be what you're looking for, but more options can't hurt.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Narzack posted:

So, of course, I have these grand ideas of writing the next great text adventure, but right now, I'm setting my sights considerably lower. I'm kind of thinking of a moment-to-moment set of choices, kind of like the very earliest IF games. So, not so much being dropped into a world and having full freedom(though, parser limited), so much as proceeding through a story version of the conversation trees of Morrowind. So, the game outputs a block of texts, with certain words highlighted to click on and gain more information, as well as the option to ask a set of questions or take a set of actions. Does that make sense?

Oh, yeah. You definitely want to try out Twine then, that seems like a great fit. It has no inbuilt parser support but it sounds like you don't need it.

e:

Oh, actually, you should probably go and hunt down a few fast Twine games and play them to see if the things they're doing match up with what you want. A lot of Twine games are really short. Good thing about Twine games is that there are a zillion of them and it's easy to find help.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

IF games are still a going thing, with the parser and everything. I believe the current version of the language is Inform 7. Dunno about clickable words though.

Inform doesn't do clickable words by default, but there are extensions that exist that will let you do it. It's not really ideal though. There's this homebrewed extension by some Swedish guy called the Å-machine which also lets you play with either parser or mouse input, but I haven't seen anybody other than him use it. He used it to make The Impossible Bottle, which won the last IFComp, so you can look that up and try playing it if you want to see it.

MuffiTuffiWuffi fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 2, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Man deleting/cleaning up all of my old unused github repos is such a chore.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Trying to get back into putting effort into my passion project. It looks like since I've used unity, some of the tutorials have become more friendly and I'm looking into using Bolt as I never quite got the hang of C#.

I have plenty to do on my passion project, but I get hung up on the same issues every time I start this process, and know I need to start a bit smaller. I would prefer to stick with 3d stuff, but any advice for getting myself hooked on a different project so I can actually get comfortable making stuff?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Maybe identify one part of your passion project and modularise it. You don't need to make an actual module that you will import later, but just build that one part out into a full fledged app by itself. You may find that you use it, or that you come up with a better way to implement it in the end, but re-implementing always goes faster.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Woooowwwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tjkSpoa7V8

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Epic has been on a real tear integrating amazing stuff into their ecosystem.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 11, 2021

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It kinda looks like Quest is sort of a midway point between the programming heavy TADS and the design based Twine. Does that seem accurate?

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Beginning to believe that Unity's new input system is somehow even more complex than the old one. Bolt seems to exist simply not to make programming easier but rather to be a source of strange errors that won't go away. Sorry if I'm late to the party on this.

Somehow I feel like I am increasing in my understanding of Unity and actually feel closer than ever to making big breakthroughs on my game, and yet I'm really no further than I have been on any of my other attempts, but a bit more polished and cleaner code.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Narzack posted:

It kinda looks like Quest is sort of a midway point between the programming heavy TADS and the design based Twine. Does that seem accurate?
Sorta? I hadn't heard of Quest so I went and looked it up and watched the ~7 minute intro video and checked out a few bits and pieces of the documentation. Caveat: that's all I know about Quest.

In terms of authoring environment, it seems fairly different from Twine in that it's more forms based, whereas my experience of Twine is writing text and marking it up. In terms of the default player experience, they seem more similar to each other than in the authoring experience, except Quest has a text entry field waiting for you as well which you can opt to use, and a parser behind that. Stock Twine is just clicking links to move things along.

Twine is ultimately set of tools and/or a skin on authoring HTML (and JavaScript); Quest is too, ultimately, but has a few more intermediary levels, it seems. Forms-centric authoring, more of a focus on a notion of rooms, objects, and actions, somewhat different out of the box player experience (clicking links on objects in Quest will give you the actions you can perform on those objects, as the author previously defined them, in a drop-down list; presumably you could type in the same thing and it'd act the same way as well). On top of that, for authoring, Quest also has its ASL scripting language. I'm sure all of this is rendered as just HTML + JavaScript at the end of the day for deployment, especially since both are web-first.

I didn't dig deep enough into ASL to see how it compares to e.g. TADS or Inform, etc. I suspect it's meant as something like that for Quest though; something closer to the text adventure domain than just forcing you to write JavaScript is. In Twine, customizations of how "Twine games" work is usually just that; done directly in JavaScript.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Any recommendations for cross platform multiplayer in Unity?

I need to do voice chat, pass some simple data, and pass hands/head data for VR players and I'm willing to buy assets but I don't want to pay an ongoing subscription. I'm ok with running a lightweight server for matchmaking and connecting users but I think I'd like to use something peer-to-peer for the actual connection between users.

I would use Steamworks but I would eventually like this to work across mobile, PC, PCVR, and standalone VR.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tip posted:

Any recommendations for cross platform multiplayer in Unity?

I need to do voice chat, pass some simple data, and pass hands/head data for VR players and I'm willing to buy assets but I don't want to pay an ongoing subscription. I'm ok with running a lightweight server for matchmaking and connecting users but I think I'd like to use something peer-to-peer for the actual connection between users.

I would use Steamworks but I would eventually like this to work across mobile, PC, PCVR, and standalone VR.

The official unity solution to voice is vivox, which they purchased a bit before they went public. If you don't want to pay the service fees, you can make your own integration for SIPP or xmpp jingle or whatever.

I've always written my net code myself, but unity's new networking thing should be needs suiting.
https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.multiplayer.mlapi
It's essentially a continuation of an open source project they acquired.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

leper khan posted:

The official unity solution to voice is vivox, which they purchased a bit before they went public. If you don't want to pay the service fees, you can make your own integration for SIPP or xmpp jingle or whatever.

I've always written my net code myself, but unity's new networking thing should be needs suiting.

Thanks, I'll have to check these out!

Vivox might actually be totally fine on it's own since it supports up to 5000 simultaneous users for free. If I ever hit the point where that's not enough, well, that's a problem I will be happy to have (and should have the resources to handle at that point).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Tip posted:

Thanks, I'll have to check these out!

Vivox might actually be totally fine on it's own since it supports up to 5000 simultaneous users for free. If I ever hit the point where that's not enough, well, that's a problem I will be happy to have (and should have the resources to handle at that point).

Vivox is reliable and pretty standard too. Basically every game I've worked on the last 7 or 8 years has used it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

leper khan posted:

I use Mirror, it works pretty well and is a continuation of the Unity's own network api.

One thing that is beginning to bother me about Unity is that all their stuff is increasingly harder to understand, feel completely over engineered and are usually broken in the first few releases.

Like removing the "default" settings window when you build a game.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm kind of in a desperate situation. I need to reach out to someone who works for Microsoft, specifically on the new halo game. I'm working on a project for this. But I'm like with a sub sub contracted company and getting info to complete this has been absolutely painful. Like I can't do it without getting in touch with someone. It has to do with art assets. I'm posting here because I really don't know what to do. hah.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm kind of in a desperate situation. I need to reach out to someone who works for Microsoft, specifically on the new halo game. I'm working on a project for this. But I'm like with a sub sub contracted company and getting info to complete this has been absolutely painful. Like I can't do it without getting in touch with someone. It has to do with art assets. I'm posting here because I really don't know what to do. hah.

"I need such and such information from <company you're contracted by>, and I'm completely blocked on this task until I have it, here's why." This is a production problem -- force it up the chain and make it clear every step of the way that you can't do your job without this information.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I've tried. Its the dumbest thing ive ever encountered. So nothing is going to get done.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've tried. Its the dumbest thing ive ever encountered. So nothing is going to get done.

Yeah, this is super frustrating, and it's something I run into all the time. My best advice is to go to your lead (or contact if you're getting tasks directly from the client) and say "I can't do any more on this right now, so I need something else to work on until this is unblocked." Provide whatever documentation you need about the avenues you've explored to try to do the task without the information you need, and how you've tried to get the information, name names if you can. Make it clear you've done everything you can, and that this is on someone else to track down the information you need, and until you get it, this work cannot get done. I've been doing contract work like this for a decade, you just need to make sure that everyone up the chain from you knows that you've gone down every road you can, and now someone has to rattle some cages, or else the work won't get done.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Having to play office politics is the worst

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
For 2 hours I've been trying to import a glTF file to UE4.26
If I open the file with the Windows 3D-Viewer everything looks fine.
When I import it to Unreal (I tried the integrated gltf importer, gltf-for-ue4 and the sketchfab asset importer) I get all my meshes (or 1 big mesh, depending on importer) and materials.
Problem: No colors.
Solution: Add Constant3Vector to BaseColor in the materials.
New Problem: In the original file I have a material with 3 different colors. In Unreal those 3 parts aren't seperated so I can't color them independently.

Here is my very professional 3D file on sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6ZEYn
The problem is the green grass on the floor and the yellow reeds next to the river/yellow-ish fruits on the tree. The material in Unreal for all of them is called "brush_CoarseBristles" and is one part.

I think I need to import vertex colors but I can't figure it out :( Also that won't allow me to select different materials for the grass/reeds/fruits. Where did I gently caress up?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

That 3d file has a cool art style I haven't seen before. I imagine game engines have a heck of a time trying to deal with all of the different file formats and new fangled fancy tricks the modelling programs throw at them. Can't imagine how they do all of it. They deal with bones and animations and on and on.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Nolgthorn posted:

That 3d file has a cool art style I haven't seen before.
It is based on google tiltbrush https://www.tiltbrush.com/#features, the standalone app I used for the Oculus quest 2 is called OpenBrush. Very fun and even I can produce things that look ok-ish to me. The file on sketchfab looks way worse than in the program. And screenshots also look off because the depth of field is turned to 11.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
You could try opening the file in Blender. It will import and export GLTF.

It can do some advanced things so maybe you can use it to change the textures into something Unreal does understand: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.80/addons/io_scene_gltf2.html

Maybe Unreal's GLTF support is crap?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Spam-ish, but is there a good place/way to recruit contributors to an open source project?

(I'm trying to get my Glider Pro port on macOS, Linux, and maybe iOS, and looking for someone to take point on builds for those, but dunno where to look...)

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

You could try opening the file in Blender. It will import and export GLTF.

It can do some advanced things so maybe you can use it to change the textures into something Unreal does understand: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.80/addons/io_scene_gltf2.html

Maybe Unreal's GLTF support is crap?
Tried it with Blender, then I asked on some discord and OpenBrush can't export things separate if they were painted with the same brush. Which seems kinda dumb. And I'm dumb for not asking somewhere sooner, but I would never have guessed that it can't be done.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Tried it with Blender, then I asked on some discord and OpenBrush can't export things separate if they were painted with the same brush. Which seems kinda dumb. And I'm dumb for not asking somewhere sooner, but I would never have guessed that it can't be done.
Hmm, that's a shame.

Don't know how comfortable you are with Blender, but maybe you can use edit mode and press "l" to select linked meshes. Maybe it can detach your meshes.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Someone from the discord gave me a bunch of code that "compiles but I haven't tested it" which saves meshes by brush AND color. I'm installing Unity and python right now and then I'll just compile my own openbrush. I'm sure it will be totally easy and I won't get any errors at all while following the 20-ish steps :ohdear:

I thought about looking up how to separate meshes, but I'm sure this requires me to click every blade of grass by hand.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Someone from the discord gave me a bunch of code that "compiles but I haven't tested it" which saves meshes by brush AND color. I'm installing Unity and python right now and then I'll just compile my own openbrush. I'm sure it will be totally easy and I won't get any errors at all while following the 20-ish steps :ohdear:

I thought about looking up how to separate meshes, but I'm sure this requires me to click every blade of grass by hand.

It has a "Select similar" feature. Might just work. :)

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/modeling/meshes/selecting/similar.html

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm reviewing some old pathfinding logic I made in Unity a long time ago. It creates a 2d array over what is basically a 2.5d world (top-down). The eight major directions are tested and heights are also coarsely collected. I have a test to see if the given area should even be further tested. I seem to be doing something kind of goofy. I create a cuboid to fit inside the grid square, but it's pretty tall. I then do a RigidBody SweepTestAll on it going downwards. I was thinking that I don't need to make the body particularly tall to do this because I would think the sweep test would take care of it. On the other hand, I wonder if I should just make the body be the size I want to test and find a method that checks for intersections and containment (is there one?). Finally, I wonder if there isn't just a more robust check. Testing with some hard-coded volume is kind of gross. I remember that rays were insufficient, although I suppose if I bombarded the grid with them that it would work for most practical cases.

Something I was considering was firing one ray out from positive infinity to get an idea of the highest item, maybe firing one from negative infinity, and using that to size my test volume instead.

Alternately, is there a decent pathfinding library of some kind I can leverage instead of coding all of this? I'm wearing myself out on bespoke shenanigans.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I use A* Pathfinding Pro in my 3d project and it's made me never have to worry about Pathfinding ever again. A $100 asset that's saved absolutely countless amounts of hours.

It also has 2d in its documentation but I've never used it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah if I blow ten hours writing my own stuff I'll still only have a fraction of that thing.

Of course the minute I put it in a cart, the asset store site goes crazy.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Nah, doesn't work.

Everything went fine yesterday, I even managed to compile without errors in unity. Then I wanted to make an .apk which required some plugin which required a new unity version which required updates of some other plugins and everything got shot to poo poo, lol

Maybe next weekend.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a question about managing assets. I have stuff like InControl, DoTween, Noesis, and some logging stuff that dumps all kinds of poo poo into my project for demonstration purposes. Is all that going to get built into the game? Should I be pruning it?

I figured there might be a problem since I started using Odin Project Validator, and it would run amok in those folders. Well, at least until it blew the heap and locked up Unity. The Odin team thinks the validators should take just a few seconds to scan a whole project. This makes me think all this crap should not actually be in the project.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Unity will determine what to include in your project based on what is directly referenced by your scenes (or is referenced by something referenced by a scene, etc.). It also includes everything that is contained in any directory named "Resources". Everything else gets excluded.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Thanks. Now I have something to do with assembly definitions. One asset's editor code is blowing up my game build. They have a root assembly definition for everything, and then an Editor subfolder for editor stuff. Strange poo poo happens if I try to create an assembly definition in that Editor folder.

I assume nesting assembly definitions is a bad idea and I have to drag out that Editor folder completely. I was hoping somebody else has been here before. The asset developers conceded this isn't right and apparently are just completely updating how they distribute (unity package or something?) but they also didn't have a normal workaround either.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
If the editor workflow isn't something you rely on using I'd probably just prune the specific problem files and wait for them to fix it, so you can focus on your own game content and not troubleshooting.

If it is specific important files, then well drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Editor code can't be included in builds. Editor code is allowed to depend on non-editor code, but not the other way around. So usually the approach is:

- Make an asmdef for the project as a whole
- Make an asmdef for the Editor code
- The latter can depend on the former, but not vice versa
- Any external code may need to depend on the former (for builds) or the latter (for editor tools)