Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Joe Biden is a bad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Nichael posted:

If I make an insulting tweet, I @ the person I'm insulting so they get a notification.

Except when they're dead, I suppose. John McCain's mom and Beau Biden can't see their notifications, unfortuantely.

Wait does no one have a parody beau biden account on twitter? Missed opportunity if so

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Populon posted:

Wait does no one have a parody beau biden account on twitter? Missed opportunity if so

I'm thinking a Beau Biden/Brain Tumor account that operates like the Ogre Magi in Dota 2.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

I can't think of anything to post about this because like how do you make fun of self-parody?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

Honestly I went through the anti-woke leftism phase at some point in my history too and it's a legit path to real leftism IMO

I'd never, y'know, watch an actual Youtuber's Youtube, but her twitter at least has an 80% hit rate IMO which is p good

her biggest flaw IMO is being too chummy with actually lovely Youtubers notably including Vaush himself

yea it's probably a bad sign for how ~the discourse~ goes that I genuinely trust people like Shoe going from 'uuuuh I identify as an attack helicopter, triggered much libs????' to 'alright so I guess I'm mainly just mad at the useless people in power who value cheap tokenism as a way to appease us rather than giving us things we need, not rando minorities on twitter' more than I do these loving lame rear end 'I'm a pragmatic progressive' freaks.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/PunkLumberJack/status/1368779602542395392

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao

I can't think of anything to post about this because like how do you make fun of self-parody?

Imagine going on TV saying that republicans are going to agree to increase taxes and them not putting you in a dunk tank or something else to demonstrate what a dope you are.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I would have thrown in a clip of Biden on Law & Order: SVU talking about how rape is the greatest crime a person can commit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I use asterisks when spelling out the name of the senator from Delaware but that's because I don't wanna get banned for using a slur

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

gradenko_2000 posted:

I use asterisks when spelling out the name of the senator from Delaware but that's because I don't wanna get banned for using a slur

Mr senator christoslur c**ns

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Chris Cooms

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

chr*s coons

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's probably a bad sign for how ~the discourse~ goes that I genuinely trust people like Shoe going from 'uuuuh I identify as an attack helicopter, triggered much libs????' to 'alright so I guess I'm mainly just mad at the useless people in power who value cheap tokenism as a way to appease us rather than giving us things we need, not rando minorities on twitter' more than I do these loving lame rear end 'I'm a pragmatic progressive' freaks.

The Culture War discourse is annoyingly strong IMO

the Dem establishment figured out how to weaponize it in bad faith and society as a whole hasn't really figured out what to do about that

People generally fall into five camps:

1) you genuinely dislike gay or trans people and are tired of seeing nonwhite people on TV, and you naturally become a chud
2) you are earnestly a bad-faith lib and make social-justice arguments when it helps your team but, eg, wonder aloud about the "timing" of any sexual-assault allegation against a Dem (Biden stans are largely in this category)
3) you are so dedicated to the cause of social justice that you're willing to give anyone using its verbiage the benefit of the doubt, across the board, and you naturally become a lib (Warrenites and some KHive are in this one)
4) you understand that some idpol is upper-class excuse-making but don't have the politics to distinguish between good and bad faith, and you either become a chud or a no-war-but-class-war guy
5) you are actually smart and correct, meaning that you agree with me, C-SPAM poster Loquacius, and believe in social justice but can tell when its rhetoric is being used dishonestly to gently caress you over

Categories 1-3 involve a lot of propagandization and will fight you if you challenge them, but the only real difference between categories 4 and 5 is education.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I've got questions about allowing someone so terminally stupid as Joe manchin to follow his bliss instead of the whip when he goes out there crying about bipartisanship and that republicans would vote for a massive spending bill WITH increased taxes.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

You should trust them more. Liberals/Progressives will never be true allies to a leftwing movement, whereas right wing converts are likely to know the enemy better. Plus, someone who converts from the people who win all the time to the people who lose all the time either have to be true or a cop.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

in the imaginary world where the DNC would like to bring Manchin in line, what are their options

remove him from every committee
withdraw DNC funding

what else

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

in the imaginary world where the DNC would like to bring Manchin in line, what are their options

withdraw DNC funding

what else

Honeypot him

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

I would have thrown in a clip of Biden on Law & Order: SVU talking about how rape is the greatest crime a person can commit.

https://i.imgur.com/QuCkcoT.mp4

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

withdraw DNC funding

what else

run primary candidates against him
blacklist people who work with him
pressure regional allies and organizations to condemn manchin
have establishment media start manufacturing a new consent

bedpan has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Mar 8, 2021

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

withdraw DNC funding

what else

You could step on the scale to help a primary challenger but they did the exact opposite of that when someone that stood for their supposed values tried so welp

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dolphin posted:

When more pictures arise of conditions like this:

Liberals are going to get online and say it's an emergency and it would be great if there were other options but Biden is doing his best given the extreme circumstances

I was just reading this article
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/politics/immigration-us-mexico-border-crisis/index.html

And it sounds like those "migrant overflow facilities" are themselves packed way beyond capacity so as bad as they were in the first place, there is zero possibility that conditions aren't absolutely horrific. I'm sure the reason we don't have more details is just because everything is totally fine, though.

Also I was reading the new guidance, and it doesn't actually stop family separations. Just says "please please use discretion when you separate families at the border."

If things aren't actually worse right now at the border than they were under Trump I would be loving astounded.

Porta potties INSIDE A BUILDING???

Imagine the smell. How the hell do they empty/clean them? Drive the truck into the building or drag them outside and then back in?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I can’t believe the democrats want to cut children in poverty in half. I think they should leave them alone, their lives are hard enough

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Eggplant Squire posted:

You could step on the scale to help a primary challenger but they did the exact opposite of that when someone that stood for their supposed values tried so welp

the DNC has shown time and time again that they love Manchin and want to kiss him on the lips and will protect him from criticism and primary challengers

liberal DNC supporters might say in a conversation that Manchin has shortcomings, but they have bought into the myth of his indispensability. Strategies to work around him boil down to gaining two more senate seats to offset him.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Mar 8, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eggplant Squire posted:

It's actually worse than you think. When Swearengin ran in 2020, and got the nomination against Senator Capito in the general, the national and WV Democrats gave her next to no support. In fact, Manchin was doing photo-ops with Capito during the general election.

In a world where the Dems maybe helped Paul Jean out when she was the nominee, instead of campaigning against her, Manchin wouldn't be as powerful in a 51/49 Senate.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

he meant "greatest" like "it's great and I love doing it"

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Introduce me to my grave
Deprive me of my everlasting life
Blow me off the face of this earth
Leave me lying on the street corner dead

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nichael posted:

It's actually worse than you think. When Swearengin ran in 2020, and got the nomination against Senator Capito in the general, the national and WV Democrats gave her next to no support. In fact, Manchin was doing photo-ops with Capito during the general election.

In a world where the Dems maybe helped Paul Jean out when she was the nominee, instead of campaigning against her, Manchin wouldn't be as powerful in a 51/49 Senate.

Yeah weird that Democrats are allowed to repeatedly straight up campaign for Republicans over other less connected Democrats but some New York voter that stays home is the real problem here.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nichael posted:

the DNC establishment repeatedly harms more left candidates and campaigns, forcing them to fight the DNC and the GOP to win an election. liberals either deny the DNC is hostile to left candidates or claim that this is all a sign that left policies are not popular or cannot win on election day.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think a big reason why the left fails is that the right has created a reality that is so crushing and depressing, that merely accurately describing it to less doomered or aware people makes you look like a colossal rear end in a top hat. It's pretty clear to me and all of you that the Democrats have no real interest in governance, or any meaningful opposing views to the GOP. But if you tell an average voter that at least 90% of the "good guys" party are monsters, and their party leader is a rapist, it is way too much to handle.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Mar 8, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bedpan posted:

the DNC establishment repeatedly harms more left candidates and campaigns, forcing them to fight the DNC and the GOP to win an election. liberals either deny the DNC is hostile to left candidates or claim that this is all a sign that left policies are not popular or cannot win on election day.

Yeah, you then get "academic" analyses from young centrists who have never spoken to a voter, who claim Swearengen's 2020 defeat is proof that the West Virginian electorate is "right wing".

Nope, it's really not. West Virginians don't reject the idea of better living conditions. You just need to speak to them, get your message out, and explain why someone like Swearengen was more equipped to do it than a Nazi like Capito or Manchin.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nichael posted:

I think a big reason why the left fails is that the right has created a reality that is so crushing and depressing, that merely accurately describing it to less doomered or aware people makes you look like a colossal rear end in a top hat. It's pretty clear to me and all of you that the Democrats have no real interest in governance, or any meaningful opposing views to the GOP. But if you tell an average vote that at least 90% of the "good guys" party are monsters, and their party leader is a rapist, it is way too much to handle.
this is very true

unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, i dunno, it's becoming more and more of an undeniable reality

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I love how 'eradicating child poverty' means taking people slightly on one side of an arbitrary threshold and moving them slightly to the other

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

He knows this is bullshit. This is a pantomime that they can use to run out the clock.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

President Current Rapist refused to even performatively whip his home state Senators to vote for a paltry $15 minimum wage for a mock betrayal of capital. That truth is unbelievably depressing, and people don't want to hear that after four years of Trump, so they of course ignore it. When they acknowledge it, they cling to the idea of simply calling up the offices of Carper, Coons, Sinema, etc as if that'll matter.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Acelerion posted:

I love how 'eradicating child poverty' means taking people slightly on one side of an arbitrary threshold and moving them slightly to the other

I love how even this largely toothless effort is still not applied to 100% of child poverty

even in their triumphs the dems can't help but sabotage themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

this is very true

unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, i dunno, it's becoming more and more of an undeniable reality

Much like how instead of Trump making people realize that maybe there's a big problem if someone like him can get elected in the first place and secondly there's almost no check on him outside of waiting it out for four years since the opposition party largely let him do whatever he wanted as long as that wasn't wanting a piece of paper unripped it just made people want to trust the media and non Trump government even more I think as things get shittier people are going to be desperately looking for absurd articles like that child poverty solved WAPO piece to convince themselves their brains are lying to themselves.

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Mar 8, 2021