Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

CactusWeasle posted:

I binge watched through the specials this week, and at the end even decided to rewatch the India special because I had only seen it once. I forgot how bad it is. It really is, very bad.

It really is. It's the only one of the TG specials/road trips that I avoid watching if it's on and I want some car TV. Just lame and embarrassing all the way through.

I have to be especially bored to rewatch the Polar Special too. It's not bad (certainly nowhere near as bad as the India one) but it just doesn't stand up on rewatches like the others. I don't think I could watch the Vietnam or Botswana ones, or the Supercars To The Millau Viaduct road trip*, enough times for them to stop being entertaining.

So long as it's the full length version without the rubbish archive music and terrible audio levels :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BalloonFish posted:

It really is. It's the only one of the TG specials/road trips that I avoid watching if it's on and I want some car TV. Just lame and embarrassing all the way through.

I have to be especially bored to rewatch the Polar Special too. It's not bad (certainly nowhere near as bad as the India one) but it just doesn't stand up on rewatches like the others. I don't think I could watch the Vietnam or Botswana ones, or the Supercars To The Millau Viaduct road trip*, enough times for them to stop being entertaining.

So long as it's the full length version without the rubbish archive music and terrible audio levels :argh:

Agreed on the Polar Special, which is a shame because it's so good the first time through.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7534w3tnRfc

This looks like it could be either really fun or really stupid or both

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bloom posted:

This looks like it could be either really fun or really stupid or both
I"m hoping for both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why are Richard and Tory fighting each other?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh my god I had genuinely not recognized who that was.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't either until I heard his voice.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Im legitimately surprised by the new Top Gear series. Its not as horribly scripted as I was expecting and the hosts chemistry is pretty good. Unlike the other series where they tried to force the British dynamic this is very much three men just there to have fun. Don't be put off by the opening of the 1st episode as that seems to be the worst of the scripted stuff. Everything else comes off more natural.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

I"m hoping for both.

It's both.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

MotorTrend just released the new Top Gear America. I haven't watched it. :shrug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

net work error posted:

MotorTrend just released the new Top Gear America. I haven't watched it. :shrug:

I watched the first two episodes and...meh.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Dax had a 70s van with a 460, 4x4 conversion and an airbrush of him and Kristen Bell on the side.

This shows firing on all cylinders for me.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Also the van had a waterbed.

That overland segment didn't really go anywhere though? They drove up a sandy hill, maybe camped a night. A longer trip would have been better.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 6, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I guess nobody is watching Top Gear America?

I caught the rest of the run and still...meh.

The guys have virtually no chemistry together.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I’ve watched them all but it’s all just, whatever.

Bring back Rut and the boys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

opengl128 posted:

They were the only ones aside from Jeremy, Richard, and James that I actually enjoyed watching. Every other version of Top Gear has been pretty lackluster.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

opengl128 posted:

I admit to not having seen very many of those episodes but it seemed like Rutledge and Faust were kind of getting angsty with each other? Which could make for good TV but they needed a different third, I think, to make it work.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Have been watching a few of Hagerty’s segments with Jason Cammisa and it reminds me a lot of TG. I think he’d be great on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuiujPC8cmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BdhHtgPvKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCTtKBIHKc

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My first comment after watching new tgusa was to turn to my wife and say "I fuckin miss Rutledge."

I don't mind Dax but yeah the chemistry just isn't there and the episodes are too short and way too boring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sorry I can't help but read that like "man I miss the real OG Joker, Jared Leto"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I don't disagree. TGUSA was far from true greatness, but I gotta admit I liked watching Rutledge and I think by the end of that run they had decent chemistry.

The REAL tragedy of top gear this year is that we won't get the Russian Grand Tour episode.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BBC Top Gear comes back on Sunday. :shrug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I don't disagree. TGUSA was far from true greatness, but I gotta admit I liked watching Rutledge and I think by the end of that run they had decent chemistry.

The REAL tragedy of top gear this year is that we won't get the Russian Grand Tour episode.

I don't know, honestly the last couple of seasons of Top Gear USA were up there alongside original Top Gear if you ask me. The three presenters had distinct personalities and great chemistry, and the fact that every episode was a challenge of some sort made for some great TV.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I don't know, honestly the last couple of seasons of Top Gear USA were up there alongside original Top Gear if you ask me. The three presenters had distinct personalities and great chemistry, and the fact that every episode was a challenge of some sort made for some great TV.

Agreed. It had fully hit its stride when they cancelled it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I mean, chemistry just takes time to build. The first season or two of top gear UK weren't great either, and it took them a few years to really hit their stride.

gently caress I wish there was a way to watch those episodes with the original music.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

So I got lost somewhere, in the US MotorTrend supposedly has TopGear rights, but only after BBC America shows it for some time right? But currently MT only has through series 27 in its catalog and BBC America doesn't have squat, is there a way I am supposed to be able to watch series 28/29 in the US without VPN'ing to the UK or Europe and I am just missing it?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah that was great. The first car we had in Canada was a Cortina. Bringing back all the feels lol.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I hope they got Perry McCarthy or Ben Collins to play Stigs Dad.

Edit: or Tiff, I'd call him Stigs Dad too.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 17, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That was a really fun episode. Hope this season keeps up.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PaddyMcGuinness/status/1372112991693508613

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
loving cancer.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
gently caress :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow. RIP :(
https://twitter.com/mrjamesmay/status/1372128845533343746

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Awful news to wake up to. :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shiny and chrome :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

gently caress cancer :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Freddie's Bond pick was loving brilliant :laffo:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah the Bond episode was good fun.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha the runway waterskiing was genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That looked legitimately terrifying, especially at those speeds.