Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of curious how they’re going to handle things from here on as once Kawaki showed up I don’t remember there being many gaps in the manga story where they could insert some more anime only content. So I’m wondering how they’re going to avoid catching up too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Larryb posted:

Sort of curious how they’re going to handle things from here on as once Kawaki showed up I don’t remember there being many gaps in the manga story where they could insert some more anime only content. So I’m wondering how they’re going to avoid catching up too quickly.

I mean, there's a bunch of time where Naruto starts teaching Kawaki some ninjutsu, and they can probably also stretch things between Naruto's capture and his rescue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, there's a bunch of time where Naruto starts teaching Kawaki some ninjutsu, and they can probably also stretch things between Naruto's capture and his rescue.

Ah right, good point

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The countdown to the end of filler will be a brief shot of the vase at the end of every episode.

It was weird seeing Konohamaru suddenly in Ikemoto's art style. Big old love letter to the art of the manga this episode.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Haven't watched the anime in awhile but I caught the last episode because of the love I saw it was getting. drat, when Boruto's animation is good it's good.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New chapter: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008936

I'm not sure what "stronger than Jigen" really means when before turning into Isshiki, his biggest asset was actually his ability to shrink things down and take people by surprise with it, but this sure sounds like a power creep arc.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

New chapter: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008936

I'm not sure what "stronger than Jigen" really means when before turning into Isshiki, his biggest asset was actually his ability to shrink things down and take people by surprise with it, but this sure sounds like a power creep arc.

Training montage!

I didn't like this chapter much. Just some people talking and some really blatant and obvious power creep.

You know that strong guy you just beat? Yeah he has a guy in his ranks who's stronger then him, but not currently because of limiters. (whatever will happen with those limiters!) Also there were cyborgs with great power which were all destroyed. It's all very clunky and predictable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's not that power creepy. Jigan was impressive but not that impressive. It was Isshiki who was the scary big strong threat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Complaining about power creep in a shonen manga is like complaining that the air you breathe has nitrogen in it

Like, yeah. It comes with the territory.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I think it's more people were appreciative of the comparatively lower stakes and power level in Boruto for a while (admittedly more the anime than the manga), but now nope we're right back to where we left off in the Kaguya fight and evidently have no desire to really back down much from that level.

Imagine DB Super, except expecting Pan to be the one to fight all the Tournament of Power dudes while Goku and Vegeta get a few token fights at the beginning.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I personally just don't think we need a stronger villain after depowering Naruto and Sasuke, and the most interesting part of the chapter was the idea of implanting Code with another Karma which is overshadowed by all the hyper-powerful cyborg chat. It's just not great, IMO.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, I’m kind of curious how Kawaki winds up becoming evil and destroying most of the village as seen in the flash forward at the beginning (I’m guessing possession of some kind as alluded to in this chapter).

Boruto looks slightly older there too which means we’re likely getting a timeskip at some point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 19, 2021

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I’m kind of curious how Kawaki winds up becoming evil and destroying most of the village as seen in the flash forward at the beginning (I’m guessing possession of some kind as alluded to in this chapter).

Boruto looks slightly older there too which means we’re likely getting a timeskip at some point.

I doubt it. Think it's probably gonna be some kind of disagreement on how to keep the peace/advance in a world where there's possible enemies in the stars or some poo poo like that.

Bonus answer: they'll pull a Gurren Lagann and the flashforward will never figure again in that form. Maybe it's a future averted or some poo poo like that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, with Kawaki seemingly leaning to be more a good guy, I wasn't sure how the opening scene was happening. This putting a karma of your own on someone else, seems like it could be an out somehow, but I don't know how that would work, since I think they still refer to each other by name in that opening scene.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Yeah, with Kawaki seemingly leaning to be more a good guy, I wasn't sure how the opening scene was happening. This putting a karma of your own on someone else, seems like it could be an out somehow, but I don't know how that would work, since I think they still refer to each other by name in that opening scene.

He does mention they were on a time limit before they transform so I just assumed Kawaki’s eventually just runs out and that’s what causes him to go nuts. But we’ll see (like you said, they still refer to one another by name during the flashforward)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Complaining about power creep in a shonen manga is like complaining that the air you breathe has nitrogen in it

Like, yeah. It comes with the territory.

yeah i mean that's true but naruto isn't set up very well for it. all of the setting details that were established pre-pein sort of rely on the idea that people like itachi, kisame, the first hokage, madara, killer b, etc. are at the top of the power scale, and they're also vanishingly rare. dragon ball is very loose and vague about setting precisely so that toriyama doesn't have to set a long-term power ceiling on goku and the bad guys, but naruto has a very defined world that is continuously invalidated by the implications of the power creep so it's much more frustrating

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Speaking of Pain, it's kind of a bummer that the Rinnegan during its introduction had an established set of powers and that it's mostly being disregarded since then. Although that might just be the part of me that's stuck at when I was a teenager and was excited to see a new villain from another part of the world whose eye power rivaled/surpassed the sharingan*.

* I was so wrong, lmao.

EDIT: Also, I'll say that power creep wouldn't feel as much of a bother, if fights also didn't feel markedly less creative than in Naruto to me. The most memorable stuff so far for me was Naruto and Sasuke finding where Jigen was hiding by forcing him to absorb a jutsu while shrunken down, and Kawaki tricking Isshiki with a kage bunshin. Not exactly riveting stuff, and inferior to even a bunch of mid-tier Naruto fights.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 19, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Speaking of Pain, it's kind of a bummer that the Rinnegan during its introduction had an established set of powers and that it's mostly being disregarded since then.

Yeah, I had wondered about that too, since Madara and Sasuke's Rinnegan never seemed to adhere to the sixth paths, though the paths always seems somewhat limited in scope, so maybe there was more to each one than what Nagato showed. Of course ultimately only the Otsutsuki Rinnegan were even "pure" Rinnegan, all the other ninja Rinnegan were gotten through shananigans, even Nagato's.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Teek posted:

Yeah, I had wondered about that too, since Madara and Sasuke's Rinnegan never seemed to adhere to the sixth paths, though the paths always seems somewhat limited in scope, so maybe there was more to each one than what Nagato showed. Of course ultimately only the Otsutsuki Rinnegan were even "pure" Rinnegan, all the other ninja Rinnegan were gotten through shananigans, even Nagato's.

Madara and Sasuke occasionally used Nagato's powers, though mostly just the Deva Path's stuff (and I think Madara absorbs a jutsu at some point).

And Obito obviously made his own Six Paths of Pain at one point.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah Outer path and Chibaku Tensei are the biggest things I guess. I guess my main questions were about their unique Rinnegan moves, Sasuke's swap and Madara's Limbo. I don't think they've ever been slotted into a path before. Though maybe they're one of those person specific jutsu, ala the Mangekyou specials, that might not align to a path?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"poo poo, we need to make this next villain stronger than the shrinking alien. What do we do?"

"I know, give him belt powers."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shneak posted:

"poo poo, we need to make this next villain stronger than the shrinking alien. What do we do?"

"I know, give him belt powers."

He’s not as strong as Isshiki. He was stronger then Jigan.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jazerus posted:

yeah i mean that's true but naruto isn't set up very well for it. all of the setting details that were established pre-pein sort of rely on the idea that people like itachi, kisame, the first hokage, madara, killer b, etc. are at the top of the power scale, and they're also vanishingly rare. dragon ball is very loose and vague about setting precisely so that toriyama doesn't have to set a long-term power ceiling on goku and the bad guys, but naruto has a very defined world that is continuously invalidated by the implications of the power creep so it's much more frustrating

The power creep in Boruto is being caused by cyborgs and aliens which is basically also what Dragonball did

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I miss the good old days of Naruto when power creep was caused by magical eyes and zombies.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think part of the reason people were excited about Boruto is that, having a new set of younger protagonists, it could refocus away from the power creep. At the very least, I was interested in a story that didn't necessarily have to rely on world-ending threats, as that felt kind of done by the end of Naruto.

Admittedly, it might just be a case of having the wrong expectations, especially considering Momoshiki was introduced really early on, but it's hard to be excited about new stronger villains when neither the old writer nor Kishimoto seemed to have handled the previous ones in a particularly fun/clever way.

Like, I genuinely think the fights in the War arc were consistently more engaging and emotionally complex than whatever Boruto's been doing.

It's by no means awful, and the original Naruto was by no means a masterpiece, especially after the first few arcs were Kishimoto struck gold, but yeah.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My problem with the power creep isn’t that it’s there. It’s how it’s handled in this particular case.

Usually it grows fairly organically. Predictable but logical.
They encounter someone (Ao) barely beat him but he spills the beans on his reasons and superiors.
Delta shows up is an inner and is a clear step up.
Jigen himself shows up and shows why he’s boss.
They encounter another flunky who is annoying and strong, but clearly not Jigen level. He’s barely defeated by team 7.
Jigen shows up again and he isn’t beaten, but he is killed by running out his timer.
This is all completely logical.

At the same time Naruto and Sasuke were nerfed by removing Kurama and the Rinnegan. So our side has been heavily depowered.

Now we’re outright told someone stronger then Jigen was working for Jigen and we’re outright told that he made cyborgs who’re also very strong but obviously all of them were destroyed.

This isn’t even necessary. You could’ve just said there’s one guy left and he’s nearly Jigen level. But he loves Jigen so he never tried usurping the throne.
Don’t forget, they didn’t beat Jigen. This already establishes that he’s a threat they need to take seriously without blatantly spelled out power creep.
They also didn’t immediately need to show the robot. They could’ve just introduced them later after blowing a hole in one and it continuering to function. Keep a bit of mystery in there.

But we’ll see how this pans out. Maybe it’ll do a reverse Dragonball, start weak and end strong.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think part of the reason people were excited about Boruto is that, having a new set of younger protagonists, it could refocus away from the power creep. At the very least, I was interested in a story that didn't necessarily have to rely on world-ending threats, as that felt kind of done by the end of Naruto.

Admittedly, it might just be a case of having the wrong expectations, especially considering Momoshiki was introduced really early on, but it's hard to be excited about new stronger villains when neither the old writer nor Kishimoto seemed to have handled the previous ones in a particularly fun/clever way.

Like, I genuinely think the fights in the War arc were consistently more engaging and emotionally complex than whatever Boruto's been doing.

It's by no means awful, and the original Naruto was by no means a masterpiece, especially after the first few arcs were Kishimoto struck gold, but yeah.

Also to be fair the anime is better in my opinion (both in the case of Naruto and Boruto for that matter as the fights look better in motion and the fillers at least give the side characters some more focus) though the Boruto manga has vastly improved from how it started out at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 20, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

My problem with the power creep isn’t that it’s there. It’s how it’s handled in this particular case.

Usually it grows fairly organically. Predictable but logical.
They encounter someone (Ao) barely beat him but he spills the beans on his reasons and superiors.
Delta shows up is an inner and is a clear step up.
Jigen himself shows up and shows why he’s boss.
They encounter another flunky who is annoying and strong, but clearly not Jigen level. He’s barely defeated by team 7.
Jigen shows up again and he isn’t beaten, but he is killed by running out his timer.
This is all completely logical.

Jigen was killed by Koji, Isshiki was beaten by running his timer out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Anyway, I've been pestering a friend with the weirdest Naruto stuff just to see her slowly creep towards insanity as she realizes just how much of this popular manga was about eye-swapping surgeries and body horror, and I realize Kishimoto was maybe suited towards doing horror, even if he didn't and doesn't realize it himself. A lot of the Naruto body-modification imagery dovetails nicely into a lot of the medical horror that is somewhat widespread in Japan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

There's also Kawaki repairing the vase they can use as an episode dumping ground, given how everyone was more familiar with him once it was finished in the span of a single page in the manga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

There's also Kawaki repairing the vase they can use as an episode dumping ground, given how everyone was more familiar with him once it was finished in the span of a single page in the manga

Ah yes, good point

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

At long last, we get the animated version of Kawaki and Boruto's pissing contest.

Apparently the titles of the next few episodes have already been released. Looks like we're heading into the next manga arc the fight with Delta.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I know the anime has to be more family friendly, but the scene just doesn't bear the same weight as Naruto, pants around ankles, royally pissed at his two idiot sons ruining his blatant morning poo poo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Latest episode: That PTSD flashback was painful to watch. Holy poo poo.

OTOH, yes Sarada, this is exactly like dealing with your dad back in the day.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
New Boruto continues the streak of bad chapters by making Eida too hot for normal people to handle.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Eida's character design and abilities are such polar opposites of what this manga offers that it circles back to being entertaining. Most of this chapter was exposition but I'm fascinated by her.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Holy exposition dump

I see Samurai 8's spoiled Kishi something fierce in that regard

Is that better or worse than having characters pull abilities out of their butts as the story went on though?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Going from Isshiki to Code and Girl whose power is to make men fall in love with her is such a baffling downgrade in antagonist.

Go to your room, Kishimoto

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think she's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

New Boruto continues the streak of bad chapters by making Eida too hot for normal people to handle.

Lol wtf is this poo poo in this release, they better do something fun with this.

Shneak posted:

I'm fascinated by her.

The jutsu has escaped the Manga, you are already dead.