Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's just a single plate with probably six or eight screws to remove. they're not security torx or anything. that said, you probably only need to open it if they send you a replacement drive but don't dispatch a tech.

that will depend on the warranty call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just rma the fucker
and yeah unsafe shutdowns are unsafe for the filesystem not the physical disk this is 2021 not 1981

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Actually, it just occurred to me that a smart error wouldn't be a connection issue, or rather the connection would be the solder. So disregard what I wrote, my brain has turned to mush from work…

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

from https://roscidus.com/blog/blog/2021/03/07/qubes-lite-with-kvm-and-wayland/:

quote:

According to the GNOME wiki, the original justification for not supporting selection copies was “security concerns with unexpected data stealing if the mere act of selecting a text fragment makes it available to all running applications”. The implication is that applications stealing data instead from the clipboard is OK, and that you should therefore never put anything confidential on the clipboard.

This seemed a bit odd, so I read the security section of the Wayland specification to learn more about its security model. That section of the specification is fairly short, so I’ll reproduce it here in full:

quote:

Security and Authentication

• mostly about access to underlying buffers, need new drm auth mechanism (the grant-to ioctl idea), need to check the cmd stream?
  • getting the server socket depends on the compositor type, could be a system wide name, through fd passing on the session dbus. or the client is forked by the compositor and the fd is already opened.
It looks like implementations have to figure things out for themselves.

fukkin' :lol:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well that explains why I wasn't able to copy and paste across applications when I was trying out Fedora.

What a lovely experience that was. I'm glad I went back to Manjaro.

Seems like being able to copy and paste from one place to another is a pretty central part to the user experience.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Timb's products have never failed me like this. Just saying.

Guys, I think btrfs did this one too

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well that explains why I wasn't able to copy and paste across applications when I was trying out Fedora.

What a lovely experience that was. I'm glad I went back to Manjaro.

Seems like being able to copy and paste from one place to another is a pretty central part to the user experience.

Gnome is bad. Should've used the XFCE spin. I have no idea why gnome is the default when it's literally the worst possible option in every conceivable metric, from resource usage, to features, to customizability.

E: and the gross foot logo, like I want to be reminded of the the time that GNU Lord Stallman ate his toe fungus every time I see your stupid logo.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 8, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have somehow had worse luck with drives than my dad who used to manage storage arrays for a living

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you are paying for his sins

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Gnome is bad. Should've used the XFCE spin. I have no idea why gnome is the default when it's literally the worst possible option in every conceivable metric, from resource usage, to features, to customizability.

E: and the gross foot logo, like I want to be reminded of the the time that GNU Lord Stallman ate his toe fungus every time I see your stupid logo.

I'm personally using KDE Plasma on my Manjaro install and I really like it except for how the application icon list doesn't properly reflow when switching across virtual desktops

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You can and should use the ext4 option when installing fedora.

you spelled xfs wrong

modern xfs is really good and extremely fast with nvme drives

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm personally using KDE Plasma on my Manjaro install and I really like it except for how the application icon list doesn't properly reflow when switching across virtual desktops

Even KDE is miles better than gnome. A solid choice, if a little unstable.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I use GNOME because it's More Free and I might as well put this 40 GB of RAM to use

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dont Touch ME posted:

the gently caress did you do?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dont Touch ME posted:

See this is what qwerty was invented to stop.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dell said theyll send a guy to fit a new drive
should be coming on wednesday or thursday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not too shabby. i don't think they're doing next business day outside of major support contracts right now, so that's about as good as you could hope for

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Another successful goon project.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Dont Touch ME posted:

Look, I wouldn't even be surprised if btrfs had a code path that violently exploded your data.
Last I tried, if you had a simple mirror and one drive went bad, btrfs wouldn't start in rw, thus making the whole exercise completely pointless.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

infernal machines posted:

not too shabby. i don't think they're doing next business day outside of major support contracts right now, so that's about as good as you could hope for

apparently they would've but i had called them just after 16:30 so everyone had hosed off home from work so they couldnt sort the booking today

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

my girlfriend bought a dell with a defective screen and they made her jump through every hoop possible before repairing it, in the end she returned it and bought a mba

i had a dell way back when that came with a busted wireless card (when wireless cards were separate modules). it reported fine through the dell hardware tester program. i opened it up and saw that the antenna sma connector was physically broken off the pcb and said so to the tech guys but they insisted that it must be fine because the hardware tester said it was fine. "please try reconfiguring your router sir." "please return to the last system restore point." "please hold the following command: ctrl-alt-delete" ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i finally convinced them to send out a replacement card and they very sternly told me that if i returned the original card and it was not broken, i WOULD be billed for it. i said fine whatever. then they sent me the wrong mailer and i couldn't return it anyway. i called up support again and the guy this time said "whatever, it's a 15 dollar part, i've waived it, have a nice day"

ok, see ya

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sorry about your linux experiences op

i just upgraded to the pre-release version of fedora silverblue version 34, it works very well. i even plugged in an old wireless mouse i had sitting around in a drawer and gnome software prompted me to install a firmware update onto the mouse to fix a security problem.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

sorry about your linux experiences op

i just upgraded to the pre-release version of fedora silverblue version 34, it works very well. i even plugged in an old wireless mouse i had sitting around in a drawer and gnome software prompted me to install a firmware update onto the mouse to fix a security problem.

How does Silverblue work with things like Steam, Wine/Lutris, that are apps that install apps? If everything is containerized with Silverblue do you just end up with tiny little containers that can't fit a game that Steam wants to download?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Sapozhnik posted:

install a firmware update onto the mouse to fix a security problem.

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Nitrousoxide posted:

How does Silverblue work with things like Steam, Wine/Lutris, that are apps that install apps? If everything is containerized with Silverblue do you just end up with tiny little containers that can't fit a game that Steam wants to download?

Containers aren't like vms with a fixed size, they're more like directories that can be filled up till the underlying disk fills

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rufus Ping posted:

Containers aren't like vms with a fixed size, they're more like directories that can be filled up till the underlying disk fills

You can set a maximum disk usage of course. But yes, it's not like a preallocated disk image.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op I think the problem was that your computer killed itself so it wouldn't have to run a linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the drive saw what it was formatted with and reacted accordingly

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This wouldn't have happened if your os had a gun

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

This wouldn't have happened if your os had a gun

self-immolation sends a stronger message

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

fedora will never suggest to combine lvm and btrfs, if you got that on your system somehow you've done hosed up

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tankakern posted:

if you got that on your system somehow you've done hosed up

this but linux

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

btrfs is the filesystem for nerds with waifus and twitter set to notify every time Elon musk tweets. it is the “I loving love science” filesystem. the only valid reason to ever format a drive with btrfs is deliberately setting up lovely systems so your rear end in a top hat boss will suffer after you quit. don’t use btrfs

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
btrfs is just like zfs but with a development budget of zero instead of 10s of millions

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

oracle paid the guy for a few hours to knock off zfs before they bought sun lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tankakern posted:

if you got that on your system somehow you've done hosed up

again, the linux thread

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I could talk for hours about how much I love ZFS, btw.

Like, the entire storage stack is ugly and fraught with foot guns, no matter how you slice (:haw:) it, no matter which OS or implementation. ZFS is the least bad, bordering on pleasant to work with.

I hope bcachefs can become useful in the future, it seems to have been built by someone who actually sat down and drafted a plan _before_ writing features with wild abandon.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't think BTRFS has anything to do with your defective drive OP!

BTRFS can be poo poo for other reasons, but this ain't it!

you have clearly never used btrfs on a production machine if you nurse these doubts

(lol at 120 new posts in the linux thread overnight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ironically i think btrfs has a much larger budget than zfs, since facebook is a very heavy user of it