Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Turning off the lights doesn't seem smart when you are the one holding the gun (also, it's be completely irrelevant detail, as we'll find out tomorrow)

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The third panel is kind of messed up. A lot of these birds suddenly lost their jobs, and while those that had time for a side gig were able to handle the loss by making the gig their full time job, there were a few who treated the birdlluminati as a lifetime career and had no safety net. Instead of being given assistance in finding new jobs, they get kicked to the curb where they're made out to be power-hungry crazies that should be ignored.

This strip might be why I remembered domestication as a metaphor for being gay at first. It's why I absolutely hated earlier strips like Lindesfarne outing Kell's boss in order to blackmail him into letting Kell keep her job. Or that part where Rudy got a placebo for his domestication from Lindesfarne, and his entire family and girlfriend approved of the charade instead of helping him come to terms with his domestication.

It looks to me like the students are pretty attentive and curious about what they're learning, which is something you'd love to see in students. I get that everyone's talking at once and it can be overwhelming, but surely the teacher could tell her students to talk one at a time instead of looking like she's got a thousand-yard stare.

Teacher goons ITT, what do you make of this strip?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Nancy

I feel this is Nancy.png about 40% of the time. The highs are high, and the rest is this.

Dustin

... that's not an edit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Huh. And I found this essay just the other week...

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

That movie apparently has two different women spanked to submission. Happy international women's day everybody, from the creators of Dustin! ;-*

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 10-14, 2000)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't know why I thought at first that the punchline was "mom calls out misogynist plot point in old movie, dad approves but Dustin doesn't". I really ought to have known better.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doll House Ghost posted:

That movie apparently has two different women spanked to submission. Happy international women's day everybody, from the creators of Dustin! ;-*
Reminder: Steve Kelley has actually beat his wife and it's kind of a missing stair open secret.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ballooni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/7/01

Brenda Starr 1/13/46

Wow. Okay... of course age standards were different back then, and it wasn't unusual for women to get married straight out of high school. But a) that's a pretty harsh-looking 18, and b) I don't think Messick has mentioned how old Tom is, but I'm pretty sure it's "too old to be taking out an 18-year-old."

(Also, Pesky, who is a teenager himself, can apparently go to nightclubs.)

Smokey Stover 10/29/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 8, 2021

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Reminder: Steve Kelley has actually beat his wife and it's kind of a missing stair open secret.

Much as I may despise the man a serious accusation like that needs more backing than a hand-waved "oh, everybody knows". Can you point to a police report, or a public claim from someone with direct knowledge, or anything?

edit: Or possibly you're getting him confused with Mike Lester?

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 8, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 2, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 2, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 2, 1989)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Doll House Ghost posted:

Normally I'd think it was just oversight, but Kelly is lower than pondscum, so gently caress you, Kelly, your afterbirth has provided more to the world than you.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

NRVNQSR posted:

Much as I may despise the man a serious accusation like that needs more backing than a hand-waved "oh, everybody knows". Can you point to a police report, or a public claim from someone with direct knowledge, or anything?

edit: Or possibly you're getting him confused with Mike Lester?
poo poo, yeah my politoon knowledge is shaky these days, I am indeed mistaking him for Mike Lester. Kelley just turns up a lot of accusations of being a misogynist.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #129 (1992)

I forget how old these characters are supposed to be at this particular point-- I know that eventually Lois' 29th birthday hits and most of them were either the same year at college or close, but this is definitely what a house full of mid-twenties grad students is like. Come on Ginger, get it together.

Sam's Strip 3/10/1962

Batman 11/9/1989

Rick Radian appears to be a new character without a DC comics counterpart.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Does the text imply that Humpty Dumpty is still alive here?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

Does the text imply that Humpty Dumpty is still alive here?

not to me :catstare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Because faces get reused so much in about any comic, I had no idea she was supposed to look exactly like another character but with different hair. I thought Cooper was just cursing at a barista for no reason. It's like if Krillin ran up to Goku and told him that most guys they know look exactly like him except for their hair and/or scars.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (March 28, 1918)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

As a side note, to streamline this semester and help mitigate student stress, I wound up nixing separate midterm essays for a series of graded benchmarks towards the final paper. Today one of my classes, Queer Identity and the Construction of Gender in American Literature, handed in their final paper thesis statement worksheets/proposals and I've been working my way through them this morning. I have a few students who are totally unprompted interested in writing about Bechdel :kiddo::kiddo::kiddo:

Mostly Fun Home of course but they have no idea about the extent to which I bolted up in my chair like, I'M HERE, I'M READY

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Because faces get reused so much in about any comic, I had no idea she was supposed to look exactly like another character but with different hair. I thought Cooper was just cursing at a barista for no reason. It's like if Krillin ran up to Goku and told him that most guys they know look exactly like him except for their hair and/or scars.

Personally, I can't read a comic with a reference to drink sizes in it without assuming it's an edit. I read it three times trying to figure out what the joke was before I read the second one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Today was a good day.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin Goes Wild West

I have no clue what he's referring to in the third panel there. A dark jerky? Maybe some kind of chewing tobacco?

Scandinavia has had a really bad track record when it comes to casual racism in both media and marketing in the 20th century, so I'm not exactly surprised to see the term get used.
Separated from what meaning it has in the americas/english, I've always gotten the impression that negro has been used here in the same way as noir would in english. Primarily as a fancy/'exotic' way to refer to dark brown/black, especially in marketing.
For example: up until 2006/7, the most common type of caramel colouring / dark caramel colour for soups and etc here in Norway bore the term on it's packaging.

As for how problematic this story can read, we haven't gotten to the native americans yet. I'm really not sure how it's going to read for people in 2021, vs 1957.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

Batman 11/9/1989

Rick Radian appears to be a new character without a DC comics counterpart.

I could only propose Vicki Vale.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hostile V posted:

This specific accusation about Steve Kelley was debunked a few posts up, but I still want to take a moment to remind everyone that kinky bedroom play (which is clearly what Dustin's folks are both thinking of there) is not at all the same thing as domestic abuse, and equating the two is straight-up slander of the entire kink community.

I'm not saying that's what Hostile V is doing -- other topics are in play here, like the movie they're talking about (which I haven't seen and can't really comment on). But I want to state clearly that just because Helen apparently likes to get spanked now and then, that does not automatically mean Ed (or Steve) is an abuser.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is just another example of a joke A+J could make work, but Dustin can't.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Samovar posted:

I could only propose Vicki Vale.

I'll go ahead and post tomorrow's early because this comes up:

Batman (11/8/1992)

Vicki Vale first appeared in Batman #49, way back in 1948. Between 1948 and 1963 she was a fairly frequent recurring character, an intrepid reporter whose hunches about Bruce Wayne and Batman had to be constantly foiled. When Julius Schwartz took over as Bat-editor in 1964 he culled his supporting cast and Ms. Vale took a back seat for several decades. She returned as a more regularly appearing character in the 1980s Pre-Crisis books as part of a love triangle between batman and Alfred's daughter. the French spy Julia Remarque, but when DC streamlined and partially rebooted its continuity with 1985's Crisis on Infinite Earths, both Vicki and Julia were booted again.

Vicki quickly returned though as a gossip reporter in Frank Miller's Batman: Year One and a spate of appearances in 1989 and 1990 to dovetail with the success of the Tim Burton Batman. After the early/mid 90s her appearances thinned out again although she occasionally pops up.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SubNat posted:

Moomin Goes Wild West

I have no clue what he's referring to in the third panel there. A dark jerky? Maybe some kind of chewing tobacco?

Plug-style tobacco, a compressed log of cured tobacco leaves bound with a sweetener. That was the most common kind of chewing tobacco on the market until loose leaf became popular ("popular") in the early 1900's. I am not a tobacco user, but I was looking at the cigarette case at the grocery store a few years back and was blown away to see that plug tobacco still exists, and that a tiny brick the size of a pack of gum cost something like $60.

As far as the brand goes, a quick Google informs me that was a toned-down version of an even worse name that seemingly quite a few companies used to market their tobacco, for extraordinarily racist reasons. These days there's a Dutch brand that formerly went by this name now sold as "Black Jack."

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, honestly this one is fine. If it was an Arlo & Janis strip most here would find it cute.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hobnob posted:

Yeah, honestly this one is fine. If it was an Arlo & Janis strip most here would find it cute.

Arlo and Janis wouldn't have that conversation in front of their adult son so his disgust would be the punchline

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Powered Descent posted:

straight-up slander of the entire kink community.

lol

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 7, 1990)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Free Flow

Pondus

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten