Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Captain Lavender posted:

Hi, I just need to vent. Post-boss-3 spoilers

My game has no silver apparently. I got the wishbone from Bonemass, and ran around 3 mountains (what I've learned are very small mountains), and it didn't signal one time. I wasted a ton of time sailing, finding mountains, making some sort of encampment and finding absolutely nothing on mountains. One of the 3 had obsidian at least.

Today, I just sailed 2/3 the way to the edge of the map and found a fourth, bigger mountain. I ran around it and finally got the wishbong to ping. I dug and dug... and I'm as low as I can go... and there's no silver. My wishbone is ringing like mad, and I can't go any lower. If I move in any direction, the signal is less-intense.

I love this game, but all this represents like a week or more of play sessions for me, and I just want to poo poo myself about it

Thanks

It bugs out if you find a grave and wont turn off, if you found a skeleton with a silver necklace or the like it's probably still pinging that. Try unequipping and reequipping to see if that fixes it.

But yeah, just like the swamp you need a large biome to find stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can parry just about anything I'm pretty sure, but it is possible to get the timing slightly wrong and block instead, I've also had it go where you parry, and you block all the damage, but it doesn't count as a parry and it still reacts like you didn't block the hit properly. I think it's when you are doing it at the edge of your shield's block capability, you need a quite decent shield to be able to block trolls and if something is above your shield's ability you just can't parry it, though you can absorb more damage with a timed block.

Also the tower shields cannot parry, only block.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Do people in this thread use a particular Discord for playing together or anything? I've just been playing solo and with my wife, but I want to branch out a little more.

im happy to give out a private ip to a few more people, only have 4 on my server right now and we're just making a big rear end castle and farting around for the most part, just let me know and i'll pm or discord or steam send you the ip or whatever

did a bunch tonight: did a solo server run to kill bonemass, got overconfident and died at him at 20% hp when i turned my back on him to clear adds, got hit hard (he has surprising range) and knocked into deep water . losing the rested bonus made him a lot harder but otherwise tier 3 iron mace, tier 2 iron shield, troll armor + sausage/turnip/carrot soups + the 3 meads (medium health, minor stamina, poison) made it a cakewalk; maybe 5 minutes?

then died stupidly in mountains after overextending - i'd lost my rest buff, had had a golem see me, and went back to a tower and was setting up camp when a drake nad golem flattened the tower. ran away into a bunch of wolves and was a few swings from killing them but just didnt have the stamina to do it and died when my block stmaina got broken . this corpse run will be nasty but nothing the elkhyr buff +good food +frost resist cant handle .

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is there an ongoing need for more silver past the mountain tier, in the same way that you continue to need a lot of iron for building and some silver recipes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I attended the "bolt poo poo on to the original construction until it eventually implodes" school of architecture.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Woden posted:

It bugs out if you find a grave and wont turn off, if you found a skeleton with a silver necklace or the like it's probably still pinging that. Try unequipping and reequipping to see if that fixes it.

But yeah, just like the swamp you need a large biome to find stuff.

Oh my god, in the 10 minutes I spent digging, I found a skeletal arm. That must be it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Currently seeing just how far I can get with the aid of trees for support. Project Heimscraper is coming along nicely, though building among the higher branches is a colossal pain in the rear end.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Clitch posted:

This is a purpose-made comfort pit. It has everything needed to reach 16(no lox rug yet). If I wiggle a little to the right, I'll hit 16, even though I'm well within radius of everything where I stand. The hearth is under the floorboards, but it doesn't need to be lit if the brazier is, according to the wiki. It can't be the hearth anyway, because that's 2 comfort.

Basically, I think comfort is a little jank right now.

If you have the hammer active and something selected to build, your rested comfort is based on that, not what's currently built. If it's a duplicate of something already built, sometimes comfort will drop a bit, too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ambaire posted:

If you have the hammer active and something selected to build, your rested comfort is based on that, not what's currently built. If it's a duplicate of something already built, sometimes comfort will drop a bit, too.

The hammer isn't active in the photo you quoted. If it was, the background around it in their toolbar would be blue. So that can't be what's causing the weirdness.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

xzzy posted:

I attended the "bolt poo poo on to the original construction until it eventually implodes" school of architecture.

imo that ends up looking the coolest, it has some strange feeling of lived-in-ness or authenticity.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

imo that ends up looking the coolest, it has some strange feeling of lived-in-ness or authenticity.

This is also my school of architectural thought, because it ends up resulting in multi-level spaces that remind me a lot of Dark Souls and I'm all for that poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yeah this is how real places come to be, it's def the coolest

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Clitch posted:

This is a purpose-made comfort pit. It has everything needed to reach 16(no lox rug yet). If I wiggle a little to the right, I'll hit 16, even though I'm well within radius of everything where I stand. The hearth is under the floorboards, but it doesn't need to be lit if the brazier is, according to the wiki. It can't be the hearth anyway, because that's 2 comfort.

Basically, I think comfort is a little jank right now.

When I spent half an hour unfucking my comfort, it turned out to be a) a regular bed in a nearby hut b) a forgotten unlit non-hearth fireplace behind a bunch of chests, both overwriting the comfier versions right next to me. Since then I've been able to stand whereever I like in my hall and get 17.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scoss posted:

Is there an ongoing need for more silver past the mountain tier, in the same way that you continue to need a lot of iron for building and some silver recipes?

Just for special things from the merchant. Iron you will continue to need through all current tiers

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really wish I could buy a diving helmet from the merchant. Let me walk on the seafloor and use the hammer for underwater construction

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

came back to our boat and it was like this. when we tried to get it out with the hoe it started drifting out to sea and taking damage from the dirt it was still halfway buried in until it blew up

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zwabu posted:

Can animal attacks be parried or blocked with a shield?

What's the secret to parrying a troll attack? I tried it a few times but I can't seem to get the timing right and then I have to run for my life after he smashes me.

Just about everything can be parried. You do need to be using the smaller shields though; tower shields can't parry.

Trolls are one of the things that I prefer to shoot instead of melee though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Gone Fashing posted:

came back to our boat and it was like this. when we tried to get it out with the hoe it started drifting out to sea and taking damage from the dirt it was still halfway buried in until it blew up

I throw down a base of 4m logs around the boat like pontoons when I land somewhere new so it doesn't float away or get totally hosed by storms.

On the other hand, the one time I tried to escape from a troll that was chasing me... Not fun

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zwabu posted:

Can animal attacks be parried or blocked with a shield?

What's the secret to parrying a troll attack? I tried it a few times but I can't seem to get the timing right and then I have to run for my life after he smashes me.

Animal attacks can be parried yeah. For wolves it can be tricky due to how quick they are, but they stagger for a really long time, so learning to parry them is absolutely worth it. You can use their growls to help with the timing, by hitting block right at the tail end of the "rargh"

With trolls, it depends on if they're armed or not. With the punchy ones you can block pretty much instantly after their windup, while the ones armed with a log swing slower so you ought to wait a split second. I don't know if the first wooden round shield is strong enough to parry them; probably not. But the bronze buckler should be, at least with some skill and an upgrade or two.

EDIT: Amended some stuff after refreshing my memory with a troll encounter.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 8, 2021

_____!
May 2, 2004

Google Butt posted:

i know nothing about this game but I'm burnt on poe, is this cool with a gamepad?

I've only been playing with a controller. Works great! Some of the button prompts will still list keyboard buttons but for the most part the game will tell you what controls are which.

Speaking of parrying, can you parry Elder with the bronze buckler? I finally got around to killing him last night and parrying his stompy foot...didn't go too well.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

The Huge Manatee posted:

Found the world's best swamp.

I have a swamp just like this, but mine spawned a surtling flame in the middle of the water. It was fun to sail by and hear the surtlings die instantly upon spawning. However, it earned the name "Hell Island" because I thought as I was sailing around that I could drop by and maybe just jump in the water and farm the cores as they appeared. Unfortunately, the island also spawned a 2* draugr archer who shot the poo poo out of me since I was only in troll gear. I wanted my iron weapons back, so I re-geared and sailed back better prepped this time, only to get killed by the same fucker.

Now there's just two empty karves sitting in the water around there and I haven't been back since.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
2 star archers are crazy , mainly because of how good shields are at parrying and it's easy to just do nothing but troll armor

Im pleased with my corpse recovery - I had run into 4 wolves and some skeletons near a tower, not rested, and died by stamina depletion. Spent ages setting up food (sausage/turnip/carrot) that I had neglected, made new troll armor, went back cautiously. Killed a few wolves with a crude bow, then got to my corpse which had nothing near it. Cleans out the skeletons, dropped a portal , and then realized there's two silver veins here, at least. Pulled out 100 silver ore so far and have barely moved 3 feet from the mining camp, this is much easier than swamp stuff albeit with way harder enemies (missing a parry on golem = oof)

Also, I killed bone mass on another server and hung his head on this one. Finally got a raid - was still the swamp creatures. Good to know

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 8, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

2 star anything is a giant gently caress you. See a pack of wolves and you're all "heck yeah free pelts" and then those two star icons pop up on the HUD and it blasts through your blocks like it's nothing and suddenly you're on a corpse run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fortunately I think 2 star wolves only spawn at night, so at least there's a way to avoid them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww, gently caress my clumsy viking hips.

https://i.imgur.com/av3SAIn.mp4

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I got tired of toasting meat over the fire 2 at a time at the end of a long day of hunting. I also got sick of setting myself on fire just to get a bit of pork that fell behind the cooking rack. So, I designed myself a smoke house that lets me safely cook 16 bits of meat at once with guaranteed safe retrieval.

You load the camp fires from the outside. I added sloped roof to give them a place to vent and protect them from the rain.

On the inside I put 45 degree sloped roof over the campfires then cooking racks on top. They still count as being over the fire but the roof keeps you from getting close enough from the fire to self-ignite. There's a bit of finagling to get the fires far enough out from under those roof sections to burn and the cooking racks close enough to the inside that they still count as being over the fires

There's half walls on the side to prevent idiots from accidentally walking into the smoke zone and choking to death. By running up to the wall you can reach far enough to add logs to the fire

Standing in the middle you can reach all 8 cooking racks without moving

All those fires make for a lovely glow

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So that's looks cool, but you know you can pack 6 cooking spits on a fire right? Something like 15 on a hearth.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

xzzy posted:

I'm trying to level my sneaking skill, but I'm dummy thicc and the clap from my rear end cheeks is knocking my carts down the mountain

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

There are some dedicated folks on the subreddit

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's such a good idea!

I wonder if you could replace the inner ramps with angled beams so that you can safely cook and rekindle the fires from inside.

It'd take a lot more finesse but might be worth it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

This is why you should carry your shield on your chest, not your back. Easily would've seen you couldn't fit through there if it were in front of you! :v:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My friend found a creative use for our troll trophies.

These are glorified stick figures, but still :nws: so hopefully I hid them correctly.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I have a swamp just like this, but mine spawned a surtling flame in the middle of the water. It was fun to sail by and hear the surtlings die instantly upon spawning. However, it earned the name "Hell Island" because I thought as I was sailing around that I could drop by and maybe just jump in the water and farm the cores as they appeared. Unfortunately, the island also spawned a 2* draugr archer who shot the poo poo out of me since I was only in troll gear. I wanted my iron weapons back, so I re-geared and sailed back better prepped this time, only to get killed by the same fucker.

Now there's just two empty karves sitting in the water around there and I haven't been back since.

I had a tiny island that was plains in the middle of what otherwise was a black forest. So I landed there to see if i could find the merchant and suddenly was murdered by 3 goblins handing out on a rock that had no noticeable plains markers.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm interested in giving this a try, but I'm hesitant to look up too much information because I don't want to spoil any content.

Having said that, can I just start playing by myself and invite my friends along later to my island? Few of my friends are going to hold off before they play, but I want to jump right in. I know the game has a procedural generated map, but I am confused about how it works with multiplayer. Do we each get our own islands and they can come visit whenever they want? Do we all share the same island?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm interested in giving this a try, but I'm hesitant to look up too much information because I don't want to spoil any content.

Having said that, can I just start playing by myself and invite my friends along later to my island? Few of my friends are going to hold off before they play, but I want to jump right in. I know the game has a procedural generated map, but I am confused about how it works with multiplayer. Do we each get our own islands and they can come visit whenever they want? Do we all share the same island?

Everyone spawns at the same location and can spread out anywhere. You then make a bed that makes a unique spawn point for yourself.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
our castle!

portal room filled out

put some spooky troll heads peeping up on the balcony of my friend's parasite-castle growing off the back of the main one.

which was a bad omen, apparently since a troll attacked his support-tree and wrecked big chunks of it and the entire lower floor of it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I know the game has a procedural generated map, but I am confused about how it works with multiplayer. Do we each get our own islands and they can come visit whenever they want? Do we all share the same island?

You can make multiple maps and play the same character on any of them. So you can have a seed and each of your friends can have their own and all join on the same one you want to play together on.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Inzombiac posted:

Everyone spawns at the same location and can spread out anywhere. You then make a bed that makes a unique spawn point for yourself.

Does this mean my friends can just spawn on my island when they buy the game and benefit from the work I put in prior to their arrival? I was going to wait until they get the game to start together, but it's just too tempting.

TeaJay posted:

You can make multiple maps and play the same character on any of them. So you can have a seed and each of your friends can have their own and all join on the same one you want to play together on.

That makes sense. Thanks! Time to get do some Viking things.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Floppychop posted:

So that's looks cool, but you know you can pack 6 cooking spits on a fire right? Something like 15 on a hearth.
I did not, and I won't stand for such a horrible break from realism. 1 cooking spit per fire for me! (Disregard the thatched roof above my cooking fires not igniting into a roaring inferno)

Inzombiac posted:

That's such a good idea!

I wonder if you could replace the inner ramps with angled beams so that you can safely cook and rekindle the fires from inside.

It'd take a lot more finesse but might be worth it.
I'm not sure how you'd clear that much smoke out of the house. It would be ideal if the whole thing could be managed more easily. Not that you have to fuel campfires all that often, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Having said that, can I just start playing by myself and invite my friends along later to my island? Few of my friends are going to hold off before they play, but I want to jump right in.

Any player can play on a map/server run by another player. The main issue is the bosses. If you kill any of the bosses you change/advance the events on the map which will, I believe, disadvantage the players who haven't killed that boss and are lower level in skills and gear.