Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Mario Maker on sale tempted to try it out again. Also is Gnostia mainly a visual novel? Like if I’m not that big into those should I bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Gnosia is a visual novel, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is an Among Us or Mafia/Werewolf/whatever your variant of choice is. Each "player" is a fixed character who has different stats that make them better or worse at lying, how easy they can make other people agree with them, how suspicious they come off, etc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

repiv posted:

bowsers fury is really pushing the hardware, or maybe the engine just wasn't designed for that kind of scale

3d world is 1080p60 docked or 720p60 portable while bowsers fury is 720p60 docked 720p30 portable

I haven't seen the whole archipelago but if BOTW can be on there the "scale" thing just doesn't really track. It seems like the 3DW engine is just being stretched past it's purpose. It lends to my theory that this was an Odyessy tech demo they grafted together from 3DW parts.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Y has been the default Mario run button since 1990

yea, i think i've just grown out of it. it's been...a long time since i played a mario game.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Social Animal posted:

Mario Maker on sale tempted to try it out again. Also is Gnostia mainly a visual novel? Like if I’m not that big into those should I bother?

It's a pretty dang good attempt at a single-player werewolf style game. There's some meta story stuff over the different games, but you aren't required to care.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

abelwingnut posted:

yea, i think i've just grown out of it. it's been...a long time since i played a mario game.

i keep having this issue between super smash bros / dark souls / hades. my reflexes really, really want to hit the wrong button a LOT

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Artix posted:

Gnosia is a visual novel, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is an Among Us or Mafia/Werewolf/whatever your variant of choice is. Each "player" is a fixed character who has different stats that make them better or worse at lying, how easy they can make other people agree with them, how suspicious they come off, etc.

So like each time you play the game there's a new "imposter"? How long is each "mystery"?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the roles are randomized every time. Sometimes you are an imposter and have to kill off the crew. Playtime for a complete loop is probably around 10-20 minutes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you go into the files app you should be able to save stuff to the camera roll
Yeah I believe this is the trick. Annoying thing is I think videos are one at a time vs however many photos at a time. There’s some fancy shortcut that shows them in a gallery or something for that too.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

punk rebel ecks posted:

So like each time you play the game there's a new "imposter"? How long is each "mystery"?

Yeah, there are certain matches with people in set roles, but after the tutorial when those show up is based on the settings and random chance. Each round in a match lasts until 5 actions happen (doubt, defend, revealing role etc.) So length depends on how much thought you put into it, how many characters are in the match, and if you get owned or not.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I've done like 20 loops in Gnosia, and I finally reached the part where the bug role is "unlocked". I say finally because the last 6 or so loops ended up in failure every time. I swear, that mute girl has the worst intuition when she's human and is nigh unkillable when she's Gnosian.

I feel like I should invest in my intuition and logic stats first. But what stats are you all building up first?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

I've done like 20 loops in Gnosia, and I finally reached the part where the bug role is "unlocked". I say finally because the last 6 or so loops ended up in failure every time. I swear, that mute girl has the worst intuition when she's human and is nigh unkillable when she's Gnosian.

I feel like I should invest in my intuition and logic stats first. But what stats are you all building up first?

what the hell are you talking about and when the gently caress do I get my tony hawk

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tognosia Hawk

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

I went mostly in on charm to unlock the skills I was given then pivoted to stealth to stop getting hosed over by bad rng. stealth I think is really important since doing Small Talk once a day when you're a human role really increases your chances of not getting murked that night.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

DemoneeHo posted:

You aren't imagining that trend with her, that's basically the description on her stat distribution page. My experience so far suggests that high intuition still doesn't make the benefits proc enough, and doesn't do much to help with argumentation. Maybe I'm missing a verb that uses it in conversation, but otherwise it seems like a stat that can be replaced with real-life intuition.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Alan_Shore posted:

Hades is wonderful and it's by far the easiest rogue-like I've ever played.

Dicey Dungeons is fun but gently caress WITCH EPISODE 4. It's dogshit, unbelievably unfair, and unlike the others based soley on luck. I've had to skip it for now. If you've played it then you know

I spent more time on that episode than any other. gently caress that episode!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, and I completely forgot that I leveled Performance a fair bit too. Exaggerate is really crazy good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Where the gently caress is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne? Was the initial Japanese release that bad?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

You aren't imagining that trend with her, that's basically the description on her stat distribution page. My experience so far suggests that high intuition still doesn't make the benefits proc enough, and doesn't do much to help with argumentation. Maybe I'm missing a verb that uses it in conversation, but otherwise it seems like a stat that can be replaced with real-life intuition.

Yeah Intuition looks like the best stat on paper but hasn't done much for me so far, the "this person is lying" alert as so far only proc'd on people who are bad at lying anyway like Gina, Comet.

Levelling Stealth on the other hand has made a noticeable difference wet getting killed at night. Right now my biggest problem is getting voted off for talking too much, and generally being bad at werewolf. The drat dolphin keeps pointing out when people are definitely human and I have no idea how they got to the conclusion

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Picked up Luigi's Mansion 3 thanks to the sale and it's a complete joy to watch stuff fly everywhere and see coins and gold bars fly out and tumble around.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Gato posted:

Yeah Intuition looks like the best stat on paper but hasn't done much for me so far, the "this person is lying" alert as so far only proc'd on people who are bad at lying anyway like Gina, Comet.

Levelling Stealth on the other hand has made a noticeable difference wet getting killed at night. Right now my biggest problem is getting voted off for talking too much, and generally being bad at werewolf. The drat dolphin keeps pointing out when people are definitely human and I have no idea how they got to the conclusion
Some common ways to get Definite Human (excluding Guard Duty which automatically gets it when they claim):

- If only one person claims Engineer/Doctor before anyone has died they are confirmed to be that role
- All claimed engineers investigated the same person as human (note that this only works if the engineers claimed before anyone died, otherwise the real engineer could be one of the dead people)
- If there's no AC Follower/bug in the game then an engineer being killed in the night confirms all their results are true, as gnosia cannot kill each other

Some common ways to screw up and get Definite Enemy:
- An engineer gave a result that is contradicted by other evidence (eg they claimed a gnosia result on someone who claimed Guard Duty, or they claimed a gnosia result on someone who was killed in the night, or they claimed more gnosia results than there are actually gnosia in the game)
- A doctor gave impossible results (Raqio goes over this in one of their conversations - if a doctor claims that all gnosia have already been killed, or that so few gnosia have died that they should've won the game already then they are definitely lying)
- If there's no AC Follower/bug then killing someone who claimed the same role as you confirms you're an enemy, as their death proved they were telling the truth

There are some more complex situations that can arise when you have AC Followers and Bugs, since "Definite Human" doesn't mean "Definitely not lying" at that point. For example if there are two engineers and one of them claims to have found all the gnosia then the other one is Definite Human (but could still be one of the lying human roles).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Len posted:

It they bring Persona 5 to Switch it's going to be the base game isn't it just out of spite
And then Royal comes a year later, just to get people to double-dip. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I just watched an IGN video with 150 little things that make BotW great and learned some new things! This game is the new Deus Ex for me in terms of finding out cool weird poo poo years later, although BotW would have to keep that up for another 15 years to match Deus Ex's ludicrous longevity in that respect.

- you can hop forward while you're crouched
- you can sneak attack lock enemies to death by sneak attacking, then moving to their front so that when they jump up and immediately spin around looking for the source of the attack, you're now hidden in their new blind spot and can sneak attack again
- lizalfos enemies can catch boomerang style weapons, which makes sense because they use them
- if you wear the blue wind waker shirt it increases your movement speed in the raft with the korok leaf
- if you whistle near water it attracts fish
- twirling spears on horseback
- if you scare a cucco it might spontaneously lay an egg
- the colour of the 'game over' text changes depending on how you died (blue for cold or drowning, yellow for electrocution, red for most else)

Watch and see what you learn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ay4q3z-Xk

It's also given me a hankering to go back and try to complete my korok collection, if just to get to spend some more hours in the world.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished Champion's Road at 304 deaths on a no power up run. Goddamn, what a ride. Easily the toughest ultimate 3D Mario level. Looking forward to starting Bowser's Fury later.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where the gently caress is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne? Was the initial Japanese release that bad?

I heard it was buggy at launch, but last I heard Atlus was doing something about it.

As for the release in the west, the ESRB rated the game, so it is coming.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I have some friends super into Nocturne speedrunning and yeah Nocturne Remaster is a pretty buggy mess from what I understand. Game breaking progression bugs, frame rate issues all over the place. That kinda stuff.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anyone played moonlighter? $7.50 on the e-shop. seems decently fun and has good reviews. wondering what you all thought.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I thought Moonlighter looked like a lot of fun, but I lost interest pretty quickly.

I've had fun with other shop keeping games, like Recettear, and I love any roguelike elements that are thrown in there. Moonlighter just didn't scratch that same itch though. It's not bad, just not as addictive as I had hoped.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

abelwingnut posted:

anyone played moonlighter? $7.50 on the e-shop. seems decently fun and has good reviews. wondering what you all thought.

I paid $30 and thought I got enough fun out of it. Haven't played the last couple of updates so 7.50 seems like a good price.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm so sad Mario 35 is going away

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

Moonlighter is a good game that suffers from not being the best game in its genre, if that makes sense. I got bored after a while and played Hades instead because they're essentially the same, but Hades is better. It's really pretty unfair to Moonlighter though, because it's well made!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Farquar posted:

I thought Moonlighter looked like a lot of fun, but I lost interest pretty quickly.

I've had fun with other shop keeping games, like Recettear, and I love any roguelike elements that are thrown in there. Moonlighter just didn't scratch that same itch though. It's not bad, just not as addictive as I had hoped.

This is 100% how I feel about Moonlighter.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How “hard” is Luigi’s mansion for a 6 year old playing with Dad’s help? She loves Odyssey.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not very hard at all. Lots of slow exploration and puzzles with a few forced combat sections. The biggest hurdle will be the controls, which are hard to grasp for some people, although there are a few different control options to help mitigate that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Moonlighter is a good game that suffers from not being the best game in its genre, if that makes sense. I got bored after a while and played Hades instead because they're essentially the same, but Hades is better. It's really pretty unfair to Moonlighter though, because it's well made!

This is a wild statement, lol.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Isn't Moonlighter more like Recettear than Hades? :psyduck:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cartoon Man posted:

How “hard” is Luigi’s mansion for a 6 year old playing with Dad’s help? She loves Odyssey.

My friend with a 6 year old played through the entire game with his son and he loved it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't Moonlighter more like Recettear than Hades? :psyduck:

Yeah, they're basically the same game.
Moonlighter and Hades are alike in that they are third-person action games where you move room to room.

That's kinda about it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, they're basically the same game.
Moonlighter and Hades are alike in that they are third-person action games where you move room to room.

That's kinda about it.
Whenever I play Smash TV I just keep thinking about how I'd rather be playing Hades instead (they're basically the same game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
As soon as this thread sincerely says that Picross is a worse version of Hades (we're less than 48 hours from this happening), we can finally sell our Switches and all go home.

ETA: I will also accept recommending Hades to someone requesting a game "like Picross."