Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im weirdly mostly excited to finish off ARR mount speed through those tomes. Its the only hunt currency thats rear end to grind and I dont want to go through the BLU ringer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Prae is the best because the cutscenes are long enough that I can do stuff like laundry or load the dishwasher, so by the end of the run I also did a chore

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Regular reminder that pvp is reasonably efficient time-tomestones and also, like, fun and interesting to do repeatedly.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am late for event discussion, but the best one was the year of the horse one. Complete with horse masks and homestuck references.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Martman posted:

It's like 5% less efficient in terms of xp/minute

if i could do multiple msq runs per day then i might care about xp per minute but since you only get one, if you want to maximize your roulette exp for the day you need to get prae. this is also why i hated getting ifrit in ldr while i was actually leveling. its 2 minutes but basically zero exp so its just a waste of that days ldr.

aers posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/mogmog-collection/202103/2ozonfi9xh

Good news everyone, we've confirmed posted sexpig by night is not Square

this is the first time i already have all the mounts. i guess i just buy the earrings and tons of mgp

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Now that Im level 80 I get to bet on castrum for the quick endgame tomestones or prae for the good exp. ITs a fun game that I lose every time

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also I dont care about quitting unless theres a first timer in the group. If you abandon a newbie youre a coward and a cad

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I Proved Myself a Coward Who Would Desert a Dying Sprout

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You really shouldn't bail on sprouts who are trying to progress the MSQ, you're getting paid that giant tomestone bribe for a reason

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

M.c.P posted:

Regular reminder that pvp is reasonably efficient time-tomestones and also, like, fun and interesting to do repeatedly.

We really need a new PVP glam set added.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Awesome! posted:

if i could do multiple msq runs per day then i might care about xp per minute but since you only get one, if you want to maximize your roulette exp for the day you need to get prae. this is also why i hated getting ifrit in ldr while i was actually leveling. its 2 minutes but basically zero exp so its just a waste of that days ldr.

this is the first time i already have all the mounts. i guess i just buy the earrings and tons of mgp

yeah but no one ever seems to count the time spent in queue as part of the xp/min and if you bail you're doubling that. only really applies to DPS, of course.

also lol, this diadem stage of skybuilder's upgrades. 750 HQ items and the process of signing up for diadem is ensuring that I just blow my GP on good nodes then afk till it's restocked. gonna get a lot of chores done today

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Also I dont care about quitting unless theres a first timer in the group. If you abandon a newbie youre a coward and a cad

As a newbie (started the free trial stuff over the weekend!), I appreciate you and those like you. I didn't skip a cutscene at the end of a trial and there were two guys still there cheering me on when it was over. It was the most surreal MMO experience I've ever had.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I might not stick around to the end like that but I wanna say it's heartwarming to see and group with new sprouts, don'y be shy and if you want some tips on the instance just mention it in chat. If you don't say anything I assume you want to be left alone but I'm always happy to give basic watch-outs if you just say something!

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

M.c.P posted:

Yeah PVP is a two-fer as you get PVP related things as well as the tomestones and with the event, PVP queues will be instant.

Someone I know did non-stop BLU runs through Aurum Vale last time which is more efficient but also more boring and doesn't give you PVP currency so bugger that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey all, I don't really play MMOs consistently but I do get an urge to mess with one every once in a while, and I keep hearing that FF14 isn't just a great MMO, it's a great game period, so I'm trying it out and have few dumb questions that are surprisingly hard to google.

I like Archer but I'm worried I won't like Bard; I'm thinking more about the concept of what a class "is" within the game world rather than the mechanics; might be dumb but it's bothering me; right now I'm a capable outdoorsman, a rugged individualist, but I'm going to acquire a muse and take up the harp? I don't think I'm going to enjoy those class quests. Part of me says to play through Archer and worry about it later; after all Archer is what I want to play and I can always get another Job later, but another part of me says I don't have enough free time go playing through multiple class progressions. Relatedly, I'm interested in Red Mage, but if I understand correctly there's going to be a solid 20 levels between becoming a bard and then possibly switching to Red Mage? I guess I'm asking "should I consider starting classes and resulting jobs as a single unit, or should I play Archer if it appeals to me now, without worrying about bard?"

Secondly, it's surprisingly hard for me to determine what the leatherworking skill actually makes; I mean, do lancers wear "leather" armor? do dragoons? The pieces of armor I've seen are categorized broadly by "disciples of war/magic", or specific classes, but it's less clear to me what skills produce what types; leather working seems to have a variety but I'm not what what that looks like at level 50 vs level 10.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The job quests are pretty minor all things considered. I wouldn't worry about them too much if they don't appeal to your class fantasy, and still enjoy the gameplay. Either way, you're still going to be using your bow and shooting dudes. You'll just have a few support songs you click on now and then to keep your rotation going. Bards in the lore are more like elite battle archers that also lead and bolster their allies. They're not just sitting in the back plucking their harps.

Red Mage is unlockable at level 50 , which, yeah, is a bit higher than the 30 required for bard. It roughly is when the main ARR storyline would end, which is also an unlock requirement, but at least you could immediately switch over to Red Mage when the time comes. This isn't the same for the other vanilla and heavensward jobs, which start at level 1 and 30 respectively. Later expansion jobs, like Red Mage, start at 50 or 60.

Everyone wears leather. Everyone wears cloth. Everyone wears heavy armour. A lot of jobs have leather or cloth pants and gloves. Maybe some heavy boots. Etc. Tanks and Dragoons tend towards the heavy, but even my White Mage pulls out some plate mail at times. It's pretty arbitrary, and everyone wears a mix.

That said, you'd be spending more time on your leatherworker than your actual Bard to keep up with your gear. Back in WoW and others you could craft your own gear on the cheap and easy as you level, but crafting in this game doesn't quite work out as time efficient. And because of the multi-discipline requirements, you generally won't just stop with leatherworker. By all means try out crafting - it's pretty fun and has an interesting system, but it's also a lot more expansive than most people realize starting out.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 8, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you personally barely play the harp in the bard quests iirc. the first set you are helping the OG bard get his muse back and then you are basically on a partner adventure story with a straight man and a joker doing some stuff.

after awhile they drop the disciple of war/magic thing and gear is separated by jobs. all jobs get gear from all crafters. leatherworking will require intermediate materials from everything else.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, I don't really play MMOs consistently but I do get an urge to mess with one every once in a while, and I keep hearing that FF14 isn't just a great MMO, it's a great game period, so I'm trying it out and have few dumb questions that are surprisingly hard to google.

I like Archer but I'm worried I won't like Bard; I'm thinking more about the concept of what a class "is" within the game world rather than the mechanics; might be dumb but it's bothering me; right now I'm a capable outdoorsman, a rugged individualist, but I'm going to acquire a muse and take up the harp? I don't think I'm going to enjoy those class quests. Part of me says to play through Archer and worry about it later; after all Archer is what I want to play and I can always get another Job later, but another part of me says I don't have enough free time go playing through multiple class progressions. Relatedly, I'm interested in Red Mage, but if I understand correctly there's going to be a solid 20 levels between becoming a bard and then possibly switching to Red Mage? I guess I'm asking "should I consider starting classes and resulting jobs as a single unit, or should I play Archer if it appeals to me now, without worrying about bard?"

Secondly, it's surprisingly hard for me to determine what the leatherworking skill actually makes; I mean, do lancers wear "leather" armor? do dragoons? The pieces of armor I've seen are categorized broadly by "disciples of war/magic", or specific classes, but it's less clear to me what skills produce what types; leather working seems to have a variety but I'm not what what that looks like at level 50 vs level 10.

There isn't really any capable outdoorsman class to be honest. I don't even really think archer fits that bill since most of it's story is how racism sucks. The basic theme of the bard job quests is how people have used music to inspire armies and it's all kind of centered around that more than like, muses or music as a general concept.

You do have to get a job to level 50 and have completed the 2.0 questline to play as a rdm so yes, there are 20 levels between hitting bard and being able to play red mage.

Crafting jobs don't work like that in this game really. There isn't a core thing that leatherworkers make, besides leather. Same with the rest of the crafters for the most part with a couple of exceptions. Who makes what is basically assigned by, "what did the dev think the finished product looked like it most fit under." So in that sense, ltw makes a lot of boots. The whole thing is one big interwoven clusterfuck. For example, one level range of archer might see most of your lefthand side gear made by a weaver, except you have a leather belt and boots. Then 10 levels later its an armorer made pot helm, weaver pants, and leatherwoker everything else.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Failboattootoot posted:

You do have to get a job to level 50 and have completed the 2.0 questline to play as a rdm so yes, there are 20 levels between hitting bard and being able to play red mage.

You don't have to have completed the 2.0 MSQ to play Red Mage, you just need a Disciple of War or Magic at level 50.

Blue Mage is the one that requires you to clear the MSQ to unlock.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The very concept of classes was flat out dropped after ARR. All new jobs since do not have one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

W.T. Fits posted:

You don't have to have completed the 2.0 MSQ to play Red Mage, you just need a Disciple of War or Magic at level 50.

Blue Mage is the one that requires you to clear the MSQ to unlock.

This must have been changed at some point. RDM and SAM at Stormblood release also required The Ultimate Weapon the be done.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you, that all makes sense. Right now I like Archer and I like, specifically, being an Archer in Gridania, so I'll continue to enjoy it and not worry about if further. And yes, I'd absolutely been dabbling at leather working both because it paired well with my conception of my Archer and also seemed, like classic wow leather working, a kind of convenient skill incidental with monster slaying. I'm pressed for time so I'll just jetison that idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
FF14 sadly (for me) doesn't really do nature-oriented jobs. There's Conjurer for all your druid needs, but that gets replaced by White Mage which is theoretically still druid-flavored but in practice is a generic holy priest type and eventually replaces all their elemental spells with light magic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Botanist?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

FF14 sadly (for me) doesn't really do nature-oriented jobs. There's Conjurer for all your druid needs, but that gets replaced by White Mage which is theoretically still druid-flavored but in practice is a generic holy priest type and eventually replaces all their elemental spells with light magic.

That's a shame, that expression of a nature-conscious character sort of drops off. That's exactly the kind of concern I was envisioning with Bard; I agree with the earlier posts that it's probably a very minor part of the game (and I'mnot going to let it stop me from trying Archer), but it was just on my mind a little.

It's maybe a little absurd but the in-game context of these classes matters to me; when I played the game previously I went Gladiator > Paladin and imagined that gladiatorial combat was my character's  method of obtaining some basic skill with a sword; it wasn't something my character was ideologically committed to, rather it was merely the opportunity they took; it was in becoming a Paladin that they took those skills and committed them to some purpose. I miss that imagined narrative arc, but it turned out I found tanking difficult. Still, that was  few years ago and on a gamepad, it might not be as hard if I tried it again.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah, there's certainly that. Stormblood's Leatherworker actually goes into a pretty neat line on wildlife conservarion, too.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This must have been changed at some point. RDM and SAM at Stormblood release also required The Ultimate Weapon the be done.

Can confirm you can unlock RDM before you finish ARR. The only requirements are that you have one combat class at 50. Also, the SB and SHB jobs require you to have that exapansion, so you can't unlock RDM, SAM, GBR, and DNC on the free trial.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game has a pretty disparate array of glamour as well, some of which are based on nature or resistance fighters, etc, so eventually you can make most classes fit any aesthetic you want

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's a shame, that expression of a nature-conscious character sort of drops off. That's exactly the kind of concern I was envisioning with Bard; I agree with the earlier posts that it's probably a very minor part of the game (and I'mnot going to let it stop me from trying Archer), but it was just on my mind a little.

It's maybe a little absurd but the in-game context of these classes matters to me; when I played the game previously I went Gladiator > Paladin and imagined that gladiatorial combat was my character's  method of obtaining some basic skill with a sword; it wasn't something my character was ideologically committed to, rather it was merely the opportunity they took; it was in becoming a Paladin that they took those skills and committed them to some purpose. I miss that imagined narrative arc, but it turned out I found tanking difficult. Still, that was  few years ago and on a gamepad, it might not be as hard if I tried it again.

The thing to keep in mind is that the class quests are side quests, so you, the Warrior of Light, being a genius omni-classer is actually sorta in keeping w/ how they portray you in the main story.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Ranger job that would have branched off of Archer got lost in Black Shroud 1.0 and was never heard from again.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If it helps, you can consider your character's primary class as adventurer and bard, dragoon, mage are all just ways you go about your career. All jobs are capable outdoorsmen and rugged individualists as adventurers because your job is to wander the world helping those in need and hooboy are you going to be doing a lot of wandering the world helping those in need. It's what I love most about the msq and all those lovely side quests.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
If you like using elemental/nature spells you can play ninja, who is the only job besides blue mage that uses every element (I count huton for wind)

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

All of the job quests are pretty hit-or-miss imo, there's typically four distinct arcs with the class, job, heavensward, and stormblood arcs and they can go in some weird directions and be pretty thematically incoherent (oddly enough the PLD is maybe the best example of this, if you're expecting it to involve your character's ideological commitment to something you are in for disappointment).

Unless you happen to get lucky and find one that really meshes with your vision of your character, you can view it as just a quest series that involves that job's guild rather than some super formative aspect of your character.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

erenoyo posted:

If you like using elemental/nature spells you can play ninja, who is the only job besides blue mage that uses every element (I count huton for wind)

That could actually be kind of neat. Throw in Qitana Ravel gear at level 75+ and you'd look the part too.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nah I'm with you, the lore and job quests do matter quite a bit to how I think about my characters. I'm not an active RPer at all, but I like the idea of a coherent backstory and feeling like your character has a place in the world (besides on-call god killer). I started with a Highlander and it was towards the end of Stormblood when I realized that was her place, it fits, it feels good.

Since you seem to like Gridania, you could always give Lancer a try. In a sense they have the same arc as Gladiator -> Paladin where you start off focused on just training in a weapon, and then later apply that to a higher purpose. Except this time, the higher purpose is dragons.

All of this stuff is why I'm disappointed in the lack of job quests for ShB and on, though I understand why it has to be this way.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Chomposaur posted:

All of the job quests are pretty hit-or-miss imo, there's typically four distinct arcs with the class, job, heavensward, and stormblood arcs and they can go in some weird directions and be pretty thematically incoherent (oddly enough the PLD is maybe the best example of this, if you're expecting it to involve your character's ideological commitment to something you are in for disappointment).

Unless you happen to get lucky and find one that really meshes with your vision of your character, you can view it as just a quest series that involves that job's guild rather than some super formative aspect of your character.

Ya, PLD's job quest arcs are really a mess. I maintain the PLD 50-60 arc is perhaps the worst in the entire game, though I think 60-70 is actually quite fun.

Casters generally seem to have consistently good arcs, with RDM being one of my favorites.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Hey you could always get lucky with the mysterious second class coming to Endwalker being Beastmaster or something.

Now I have a question, is there any kind of equipment guide out there somewhere? Tomestone stuff was simple but I'm kind of stretching beyond it now.
My highest so far is 78GNB and I've kind of gone from;
lv.70 Full Scaven Set
lv.74 some Bluespirit stuff
lv.76 some Titanbronze stuff
lv.78 some Dwarven stuff
And some Ravel/Nabaath stuff

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Gearing is literally whatever you can get your hands on (favoring your weapon) until you hit the tomestone stuff. In Shadowbringers this is actually dead easy because each quest hub and MSQ there has a combination of quests that outfit you with high quality at-level gear. For your first character of course.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Levelling stuff is always just whatever dungeon / crafted gear in that range. There's not really a trick to it. You'll outgear it in a couple hours so don't stress on it. Since it's your first character in that range, just take the quest rewards, which reward you with high quality crafted items. Otherwise if you hit a dungeon a handful of times while levelling, you should be getting enough mandatory drops to get by, as well as whatever you roll on.

When you're at max for the first time, you're going to have to navigate a couple variety of tomestone sets, a crafted set and a couple different raid sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Valhawk posted:

Ya, PLD's job quest arcs are really a mess. I maintain the PLD 50-60 arc is perhaps the worst in the entire game, though I think 60-70 is actually quite fun.

Casters generally seem to have consistently good arcs, with RDM being one of my favorites.

PLD 30-50 was the worst arc in the entire game by far, are you kidding? The entire thing takes place in a hallway in Uldah and only ever introduces you to a single paladin, to the point where, halfway through, I wondered if the twist was that there WAS no Paladin Guild and the WoL was getting punked. Every single quest is you meeting the head paladin in a random hallway (I guess he doesn't have an office or anything?), he tells you to go out and kill some generic beasts, and when you come back he shares some of the history of the Sultansworn. Eventually he solves a very minor mystery, entirely offscreen without any of your input, so he can tell you about it after the 50 quest.

PLD 50-60 was at least a little interesting in comparison. I liked investigating the Roe guy's death and realizing that I was actually taking this newbie around in a version of the Paladin trials and getting him armed and armored, and that the Roe probably set the whole thing up and might even be alive out there somewhere. The conclusion didn't tie everything up as well as I'd wished, and I'm pretty sure there were some big plot holes that they just steamrolled past, but at least we were out there DOING something rather than sitting in a generic hallway and getting a history lesson.

I think the reason you liked 60-70 is because it brings back the crew from the Gladiator's Guild, who were actually pretty likeable and well-fleshed-out. I remember going through the 1-30 stuff and saying "why does everyone complain about the PLD quests? These guys are pretty cool" only to be reminded that I was still on GLD quests.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2021