Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Hadlock posted:

Lol what

Other than 4k scaling what issues are you running into

Almost no DEs (just KDE I think) support fractional scaling, still, even though it's been a thing in Windows since 8.1. An XPS 13 with 1080p is higher DPI than a 27" 4K panel, it really needs to be at least 125%... Windows defaults to 150% on a 13" and 125% on a 15".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I don't want to play games on my laptop, I want to make them. Point is that I need the same kind of specs.

Why is this G14 listed with a webcam?
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-Ultra-Slim/dp/B08TP5SQY4/ref=sr_1_5

That's gotta be wrong, right?

It's official. I can't find a G15 with a 3070 listed ANYWHERE online for under 2k. I can find one listing on Amazon with a 3060 from HIDevolution which is around 1900 but once I go to 3070 it jumps to over 2100. This drives me a little batty considering I had three separate G15 RTX3070 open box deals from Best Buy for less than 1800 but none would allow shipping to my address. The Best Buy rep said that was really common but I don't understand why I can add it to the cart if it can't be sent to the store or shipped. I suspect open box deals can only bought in store so it is back to rolling the dice on ... uh ... Fridays ... when they get new stock in. As I said earlier, the guy told me that absolutely no Best Buys are carrying ANY inventory with the RTX 30* gpus so I feel like that's about as good as an answer as I will get with Best Buy.

So back to the big online retailers which appear either sold out or a few hundred dollars too high.

I am using this for both VJ work and 3d work so I want the best specs I can get for the money but the more I think about it, the more I think the needs are not *exactly* the same.

3D = Best CPU/GPU combo available + RAM!! Color accurate screen. 4k screen preferred but not required.
VJ = Best CPU/GPU combo available + RAM!! Ports on the back, multiple video outs, large screen (15 or 17), HD space!!!

The only thing I can really cut corners on is refresh rate because I don't care about gaming and as a VJ I usually pipe out the video to a projector or capture card. Also - a SD card reader is nice but I suppose not a deal breaker if it is missing. Same with webcam. The thunderbolt interface is best for VJing off an external drive but I suppose even that can be cut in favor of a Ryzen.

Recently I found buying a surface dock 2 really helped with the performance of my surface book 2 because the original powerblock is very underpowered for the specs on the laptop.

I have tried VJing with the surface book 2 and it doesn't really cut it outside of the admittedly super cool feature of using touch screen to pick videos during a show. The surface book 2 is next to impossible to upgrade so I am looking at the MSI machines primarily for their upgradeability and availability. Just trying to avoid getting stuck with last year's I7 or RTX 20* gpu. Seems like everyone else has the same problem.

When does stock typically come in? Or is this shortage indefinite? I am willing to play the waiting game a little longer if it means getting that Ryzen.
This site seems pretty good about listing what's available on a CPU basis.
https://laptopmedia.com/top-laptop-cpu-ranking/

Not a fan of the RGB flashy stuff but I am wondering how getting a Asus Strix is that different than a G15? Is there a big difference in build quality? The Strix looks like it might be bulkier but possibly easier to upgrade? Back to the original problem of not wanting an I 7 from last year, despite the increasingly attractive price point.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-i7-10875H-Windows-G532LWS-DS76/dp/B0876M6CG9/ref=sr_1_17
Looks like there is a Strix with an even better Ryzen than the G15... but of course unavailable.
https://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-strix-scar-17-g733-review-a-brand-new-keyboard-and-an-rtx-3080-are-waiting-around-the-corner/

Getting any laptop with additional RAM and HD installed is very tempting but I am not sure it is worth the big bump in price vs. just getting a better CPU/GPU. Definitely willing to crack open a laptop if I have to. Just not the surface book 2 I am typing this on lol. The surface dock 2 and a large SD card are about it as far as upgrades are concerned.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The G14 does not have a webcam (that listing also says "no webcam") and that price is hilariously high. It's $1150 here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

The zephyrus line is more portable than the Strix. That amazon link again seems like a rip-off price.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

That's kind of what I figured. It looked like a misprint.

This is also why I have been scoping out local Best Buys. In hopes of finding an open box deal and / or just beating Amazon's prices. Hard to beat Amazon's selection though. That HIDevolution G15 is looking pretty good despite what I know is an inflated price.

Last year's G15 is on newegg for 150 more than that G14 you listed at Best Buy.
https://www.newegg.com/brushed-black-asus-rog-zephyrus-g15-ga502iv-ph96-gaming-entertainment/p/1B4-005K-01S82

It is strage to me that there are so many G15s with different refresh rates. Also - I have found that newegg is usually marginally more expensive due to CA shipping / taxes.

Woah - that new Strix is just a *little* out of my price range at over 4k!!
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Keyboard-Windows-G713QR-ES96/dp/B08SJNPG9H/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 8, 2021

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
There’s a couple retailers that are taking their stock of G14s and doing that on Amazon : slapping a 32 gig dimm in and a bigger SSD to mark it up knowing that inventory is constrained.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Can someone who has a G14 and/or G15 attest to the battery life? Some places are saying 10 or more and some are saying less than 3 because of some problem with the gpu not sleeping.

What are some recommended laptops with 32gigs of DDR ram? 64 would be even better but it seems pretty hard to find anything configured that way by default.

This is not the best CPU / GPU combo but the price seems pretty great for 64gigs of ram and 4TB SSD (??)
https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-GX502GW-i7-9750H-IPS-Level-Computer/dp/B07TKBTHT4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Given how hard it is to find the G15 I want for under 2k, it seems like it would be wiser to get a MSI GS66 stealth or maybe raider and just upgrade the ram to 64gigs. Is there another high end laptop better suited to this idea? As noted earlier, the G15 only goes to 40 gigs and you lose DDR with the 32 + 8 (soldered on).

Seems like 64 gigs DDR + Ryzen + RTX seems like my best combo but in what model around 15-1800 or so? That Best Buy G15 RTX3070 deal just doesn't exist for 1800 anymore.

Ports on the back kind of seem limited to the Alienware, MSI Creator, MSI Raider, Asus Strix, this Gigabyte and a few others. Wish it was just an overall standard.
https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/gigabyte-a5-k1-bus2130sh.htm

I *guess* it's possible to drive two 2k projectors with the G15 with a display dock, right? Actually what I REALLY need it to drive is an old Cintiq 21UX but it definitely is going to need a USB C to uh... DVI. Or would that be USB C to HDMI to DVI? Hm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 9, 2021

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

sigma 6 posted:

That's kind of what I figured. It looked like a misprint.

Woah - that new Strix is just a *little* out of my price range at over 4k!!

You keep linking 3rd party sellers. Look at the listing under the buy button, where it says "Ships From" and "Sold By". You should pretty much never buy anything that doesn't ship from Amazon. They're pretty much all scalpers and scammers, and you don't get Amazon's protection/return policy which is like 90% of the reason I use Amazon at all.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I have a Surface Pro 6. I made the mistake of buying the cheapest i5 model because I wasn't sure if I was going to like it...but I kind of fell in love with it. However, it's showing its age and lack of RAM.

I skipped the 7, thinking I could just grab the 8 in 2020. Obviously, that didn't work out.

So now I'm considering replacing it before the 8 comes out because it's struggling. I was wondering if there's any laptops comparable? I love the light weight and portability of the Surface Pro, while still being able to use Windows without emulators. That's the main selling point for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The XPS 13 2:1 is the exact same footprint as the Surface lineup.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

sigma 6 posted:

Can someone who has a G14 and/or G15 attest to the battery life? Some places are saying 10 or more and some are saying less than 3 because of some problem with the gpu not sleeping.

It depends on what you do but watching netflix with the screen dim but not all the way dim, wifi and BT on I use about 10+% an hour, so battery somewhere probably 8-10 hours. There's a few things you should do if you want to maximize battery life (like any laptop with a dGPU). The sleep thing got mostly fixed a couple months back, but it will sometimes decide to not go back every once in a while. A restart fixes it. Again, this is not a problem that only affects the G14, but since the G14 is marketed as a mobile powerhouse it's a bigger pain there and thus talked about more.

And honestly you're going in circles now so I don't think there is much more advice anyone can give you. Stop going to stores and causing a super spreader event trying to pick out a laptop.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Devorum posted:

I have a Surface Pro 6. I made the mistake of buying the cheapest i5 model because I wasn't sure if I was going to like it...but I kind of fell in love with it. However, it's showing its age and lack of RAM.

I skipped the 7, thinking I could just grab the 8 in 2020. Obviously, that didn't work out.

So now I'm considering replacing it before the 8 comes out because it's struggling. I was wondering if there's any laptops comparable? I love the light weight and portability of the Surface Pro, while still being able to use Windows without emulators. That's the main selling point for me.

bull3964 posted:

The XPS 13 2:1 is the exact same footprint as the Surface lineup.

Two big differences would be the weight, Surface Pro clocks in around 1.1lbs and XPS 2.9lbs, and the cost, which will vary depending on specs you're looking for.

Continuing to look at 2:1 laptops in the $2000CAD price range that include a 3+ year warranty and good stylus support. Based on cost and availability I think the Microsoft Surface Book lineup is out. I have done some playing around on sites for Lenovo, HP and Dell. Seems like Lenovo gives a better student discount than the other two but it's hard to gauge, I feel like their sales/discounts are somewhat deceptive if you compare the specs to that of competitor's at the same price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Corte posted:

Two big differences would be the weight, Surface Pro clocks in around 1.1lbs and XPS 2.9lbs, and the cost, which will vary depending on specs you're looking for.

I think you got the numbers off.

Surface Pro 7 with keyboard is 2.4lbs (1.7 without), so the difference is a half pound.

I have both a Surface Pro (the unnumbered year), and the Ice Lake XPS 13 2:1 and they are virtually the same in hand. Actually the XPS feels a little smaller due to the tapered edges.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 9, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lenovo 2-1s are nice, but there is a build quality difference for sure, and the stylus/touchscreen is not nearly as good. Surface & iPad Pro kinda stand alone in regards to having a artist-calibre touchscreen/stylus.

If you really love the Surface I'd honestly say try to hold out for the 8 if you can, or maybe see if you can find a 7 on clearance or something.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I think you got the numbers off.

Surface Pro 7 with keyboard is 2.4lbs (1.7 without), so the difference is a half pound.

I have both a Surface Pro (the unnumbered year), and the Ice Lake XPS 13 2:1 and they are virtually the same in hand. Actually the XPS feels a little smaller due to the tapered edges.

Thanks for correcting me. I just did a cursory search of a Surface Pro on Amazon and went by the weight listed, did not consider whether it factored the keyboard in or not.

Assuming one isn't using stylus for art but rather as means of navigating the device and highlighting/manipulating documents is there still a benefit to the iPad or Surface in this regard?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Corte posted:

Thanks for correcting me. I just did a cursory search of a Surface Pro on Amazon and went by the weight listed, did not consider whether it factored the keyboard in or not.

Assuming one isn't using stylus for art but rather as means of navigating the device and highlighting/manipulating documents is there still a benefit to the iPad or Surface in this regard?

Just general quality, I guess. The Flex is still super useable and great, there just is a difference in the touchscreen, particularly with a stylus. That said, I own a Lenovo Flex for my daughter and I'll probably get one for my son in a couple years, I really like them. I had a surface..2 maybe? years ago. I just think it's an important caveat for someone who loves the Surface that you won't get quite that same experience.

I've only used a XPS 2 in 1 briefly and my impression was it was a lot closer to the Flex in that regard than the Surface.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Anyone tried / can recommend this as a gaming laptop?

ASUS ROG STRIX G17 G713QR-HX047T

Its basically these specs.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB
16 GB RAM, 512 GB M.2 NVMe SSD
17,3" Full HD IPS-skjerm
144 Hz refresh rate.

Max TGP is apparently 130 watts.

I can get this at 20% off the coming weekend taking it down from 2200ish USD.

Any major flaws with it?

hreple fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hreple posted:

Anyone tried / can recommend this as a gaming laptop?

ASUS ROG STRIX G17 G713QR-HX047T

Its basically these specs.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB
16 GB RAM, 512 GB M.2 NVMe SSD
17,3" Full HD IPS-skjerm
144 Hz refresh rate.

Max TGP is apparently 130 watts.

I can get this at 20% off the coming weekend taking it down from 2200ish USD.

Any major flaws with it?

It's a big screen, I wouldn't want to cart it around or use it on my lap. That 3070 is going to run hot so you'd probably want a cooler on it for anything intense, but thats true of basically all 3070s so not specific to that laptop. For ~2 grand I would have liked a Ryzen 9 but that's not the world we live in right now. The 5800H is still a beast of a CPU.

Otherwise its a good laptop and a good price if you can get it for $1800 ish and not wait 3 months for delivery. I have a recentish post from someone saying why I don't like 17" screens but its a personal opinion not objective fact.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
It was me actually, pondering 15 vs 17. Its to be used on top of a laptop cooler thing, and Im almost never going to lug it around.

Im unsure about the quality of the screen though, but the refresh rate is good enough.

The 20 % off is actually on ever laptop they carry, but most arent in the stores in Norway yet both on Line and physical.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hreple posted:

It was me actually, pondering 15 vs 17. Its to be used on top of a laptop cooler thing, and Im almost never going to lug it around.

Im unsure about the quality of the screen though, but the refresh rate is good enough.

The 20 % off is actually on ever laptop they carry, but most arent in the stores in Norway yet both on Line and physical.

Oh lol. Yeah then if that's what you want that's a real good deal right now (I guess that is supposed to MSRP for $1800 in the states but it would be tough to find it). Here's a review if you want. I didn't watch it but I don't think he complains about the screen. Normal complaints about the 3070, but that's pretty universal. Good card, disappointing compared to desktop, only a marginal step from a 3060.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6VcvGgsTPo

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Thanks for the link! That setup is better than the one Im looking at, I notice. Better CPU, more ram, 300 hz display vs 144.

Unfortunately those specs arent available in my dingdong-country. I guess I could consider a 3060 setup if the performance is close in 1080p. Ill have a look at the review. Thanks again!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks, everyone. I'll got to my local store and see if they have the XPS or Lenovo so I can get a feel for them.

I currently live in Saudi and we have COVID mostly under control, with a good vaccination rate, so I don't feel bad checking Jarir for it in person.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

It depends on what you do but watching netflix with the screen dim but not all the way dim, wifi and BT on I use about 10+% an hour, so battery somewhere probably 8-10 hours. There's a few things you should do if you want to maximize battery life (like any laptop with a dGPU). The sleep thing got mostly fixed a couple months back, but it will sometimes decide to not go back every once in a while. A restart fixes it. Again, this is not a problem that only affects the G14, but since the G14 is marketed as a mobile powerhouse it's a bigger pain there and thus talked about more.

And honestly you're going in circles now so I don't think there is much more advice anyone can give you. Stop going to stores and causing a super spreader event trying to pick out a laptop.

That's good to hear about the battery. Definitely makes a difference. First two Best Buys I went to were literally being liquidated so I didn't spend more than 5 min in each. Regardless, it is unlikely I will go back unless it is to pick one up which was shipped.

Here is another G15 listed with a webcam. Weird. It's an older one with an older GPU but still seems like a decent deal.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2021-ASU...edSellerId=8733

Xotic has an ETA of June for the Strix with the AMD 5900HX... uhhhhh....

Yeah - it does feel like I am going in circles because I wanted to buy a laptop in lieu of building a workstation due to the rarity of the RTX cards. Now I am questioning the wisdom of that idea. Newegg dropped a lot of 3060s and 3070s today but yeah... back to the problem of overpriced graphics cards.

Geez - this was literally available an hour ago. Gotta be quick! https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-12g-p5-3657-kr/p/N82E16814487539

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 10, 2021

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
Did some more light digging on the Asus Im able to buy, and there might be a major trap at the screen departement.

Every review ive read has this panel:
17.3-inch
FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
anti-glare display
sRGB:
100.00%
Adobe:
75.35%
DCI-P3:
-
Refresh Rate:
300Hz
Response Time:
3ms
IPS-level
Adaptive-Sync

While the one I can buy has this:
17.3-inch
FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9
anti-glare display
sRGB:
62.50%
Adobe:
47.34%
DCI-P3:
-
Refresh Rate:
144Hz
IPS-level
Adaptive-Sync

Do these porobably big differences show up in games? I dont do photo editing or other work, just gaming. The 300 to 144 hz doesnt concern me much, but Im not a lover of crappy panels.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hreple posted:

Did some more light digging on the Asus Im able to buy, and there might be a major trap at the screen departement.

Yeah, I can't find any reviews with 144hz, but scanning through newegg/amazone reviews I don't see people complaining about it either. Do you have a easy way to return it if you don't like it? I'd guess you'd mostly not really notice it in games but :shrug:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If anyone is a Costco member:
https://www.costco.com/msi-ge75-raider-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-2070---1080p.product.100684982.html

MSI GE75 Raider Gaming Laptop
Features:
10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 Graphics, 8GB
Intel Wi-Fi 6 201 (2x2) + Bluetooth® 5.1
16GB Ram
17.3" FHD 144Hz 3ms Display
Steel Series RGB Backlight Keyboard with Anti-Ghost Key + Silver Lining
$1199.99

Not my top choice, but 1200 for a 2070 is red hot. Might even be worth GETTING a membership for a year to buy this (also costco is awesome).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sigma 6 posted:

Yeah - it does feel like I am going in circles because I wanted to buy a laptop in lieu of building a workstation due to the rarity of the RTX cards. Now I am questioning the wisdom of that idea. Newegg dropped a lot of 3060s and 3070s today but yeah... back to the problem of overpriced graphics cards.

If the reason you wanted to buy a laptop is because of the availability of RTX cards, and that's very literally the only reason, you should build a desktop. It sounds like it would be better for all of your intended uses at a lower price point.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Corte posted:

Still looking for the right 2-in-1 laptop for my studies. I have roughly $2000 CAD to spend on it. The hope is it will encourage me to keep working when I'm sick of sitting at my desk or in laptop mode by using tablet mode. Given this I think I want something that supports a good stylus. I would like to get a 3-year warranty and a carrying case. I will be using it primarily for Office programs, browsing, multimedia viewing, It would be good if it works with my existing Dell DisplayLink adapter that I am using for my dual monitor setup which uses USB-A.

Going to pull the trigger in the next few days. I believe I have narrowed it down to the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, HP Spectre x360 13" or Lenovo Yoga C940 15". I'm leaning towards the C940 for the discrete graphics card, larger screen size and lower cost:
Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor (2.60 GHz, up to 4.50 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 12 MB Cache)
Display Type: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, glossy, touchscreen, 500 nits
Memory: 12 GB DDR4 2666MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB
Pen: Lenovo Active Pen (Garaged)
Keyboard: Backlit - US English

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If the reason you wanted to buy a laptop is because of the availability of RTX cards, and that's very literally the only reason, you should build a desktop. It sounds like it would be better for all of your intended uses at a lower price point.

Yes - that was the original idea. To maybe build a Mini ITX AMD but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I needed it for primarily VJ work, which the surface book2 just wasn't cutting it.
Surface book 2 is great for 2d painting and some light 3d work (especially fantastic with zbrush IMO) and I think I mentioned picking videos with a touch screen is pretty slick BUT...
Mixing 2-3 videos or more with filters and transitions just slows the surface book 2 to a crawl and notably the frame dropping is frankly embarassing when it happens regularly at a live gig.
Don't even think about running a visualizer with Resolume. The frame rates aren't worth it at all and visualizer will often crash running both.

Add to that was seeing my friend's GS66 Stealth, which was very impressive. Especially at the 1500 price point - which Best Buy is still running. Max the ram out on the Stealth or the Raider and you have a pretty good VJ machine and / or 3d workstation.

Since talking to you guys though and doing some research, I am very curious about the AMD G15 and the Strix series. Even that Riader from Cost Co just posted looks like a pretty good deal given that a VJ needs more screen space and HD space than most. That would certainly save me 600 bucks over Best Buy's Asus G15 3070 (which is finally back in stock at 1800). Still can't the open box deal to work for some reason. That's been very frustrating since it has happened on 3 occasions now.

Kind of amazed at the HP prices for the AMD Omen.
1400 for Ryzen 7 + RTX 3060 looks very reasonable.

Also - the AMD Strix 15 seems to have some pretty impressive horsepower over all. I just don't care about RGB lights. For a hot second I thought about getting the G15 animatrix thing or whatever because I sorely want it to say: "I am not the DJ. Stop requesting songs. I just do lighting." ... during a show. Just so I don't have to say it all the time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Corte posted:

Going to pull the trigger in the next few days. I believe I have narrowed it down to the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, HP Spectre x360 13" or Lenovo Yoga C940 15". I'm leaning towards the C940 for the discrete graphics card, larger screen size and lower cost:
Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor (2.60 GHz, up to 4.50 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 12 MB Cache)
Display Type: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, glossy, touchscreen, 500 nits
Memory: 12 GB DDR4 2666MHz (Soldered)
Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB
Pen: Lenovo Active Pen (Garaged)
Keyboard: Backlit - US English

I'd probably agree with this. The 1650 is not a bad little card. If you think you'd like to do any sort of occasional gaming that's the route you'd want to go. It's weird they do 12GB of RAM on that but I think it'd probably be fine for the life for what it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The lid LED lights were only one one model of last year's G14 and aren't on any G15 iteration.

The GS66 Stealth is fine. You are leaving between 10-15% of CPU performance on the table and it will consume about 30% more power under heavy load than compared to the G15, but if the price is right and if you can get your hands on one, it's not a bad device. Keep in mind that it has a 1080p screen and not the 1440p one. That's also the lower end 1080p panel if it's the 240hz one instead of the 300hz one. The biggest differences between the two 1080p panels is brightness and contrast.

Compared to the 1440p display in the G15, it has a lower color gamut managing only 68% of Adobe RGB vs 86% in the G15.

So, there are tradeoffs for the $300 you save, manageable ones (especially considering supply constraints.) But you do get the 2nd DIMM slot too.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Lockback posted:

I'd probably agree with this. The 1650 is not a bad little card. If you think you'd like to do any sort of occasional gaming that's the route you'd want to go. It's weird they do 12GB of RAM on that but I think it'd probably be fine for the life for what it is.

Thanks for the input! I seem to be waffling or tinkering again, now it's between the C940 and ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5, the key differences with it seem to be a better but slightly smaller display, 4GB more RAM but DDR3, premier warranty support, onboard graphics and the keyboard. The real difference is the keyboard and graphics card. I remembered how much I've loved my ThinkPad keyboards throughout the years and if there's a notable difference I might need to sacrifice the ability to game a little more since this is meant primarily for school work.

edit: Forgot another thing, X1 Yoga has an HDMI port for hooking up an external monitor when I'm away from my docking station and has an additional USB-A port which I've found handy in the past.

Levin fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 11, 2021

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

You can use a cheap usb-c to displayport cable when you don't have your dock you don't need the hdmi port.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The lid LED lights were only one one model of last year's G14 and aren't on any G15 iteration.

The GS66 Stealth is fine. You are leaving between 10-15% of CPU performance on the table and it will consume about 30% more power under heavy load than compared to the G15, but if the price is right and if you can get your hands on one, it's not a bad device. Keep in mind that it has a 1080p screen and not the 1440p one. That's also the lower end 1080p panel if it's the 240hz one instead of the 300hz one. The biggest differences between the two 1080p panels is brightness and contrast.

Compared to the 1440p display in the G15, it has a lower color gamut managing only 68% of Adobe RGB vs 86% in the G15.

So, there are tradeoffs for the $300 you save, manageable ones (especially considering supply constraints.) But you do get the 2nd DIMM slot too.

What do you mean about leaving 10-15% on the table? The second DIMM slot is kind of a selling point. Kind of amazed that 4k screens are such a premium on Nvidia RTX devices. Part of me wonders why anyone cares about RTX on less than 2k screens but I don't game so...

The color gamut stuff is really interesitng. Why is there such a trade off with CPU / GPU vs. screen stuff? I would imagine you would want a decent screen to show off all that power. Weirdly - this is a point of compromise for me becuase I tend to send my laptop output to larger screens or projectors... so... maybe I have anwered my own question.

The lid lights are kind of a joke and I feel like Asus realized it and only had it on that one model.

Finally talked to a Best Buy rep about the weird G15 stuff and she said that yeah... the reps can order it... IF the shipping is available but it will be about a month before it ships. So... there ya go. Demand far outsripping supply.
If I were to order it online or in store - IF it was available - it would be shipped April 1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The GS66 is an i7 and it's 10-15% slower than the ryzen on average.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The GS66 is an i7 and it's 10-15% slower than the ryzen on average.

Oh - I thought there was a LOT more difference. Looking at the CPU on the GS66 vs. the CPU on the G15 looks like a pretty big jump as far as CPU benchmarks go.

Since the G15 with the 3070 at 1800 is some kind of unicorn, how does this compete at about the same price point?
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-AORUS-15G-XC-8US2430SH/dp/B08V8BXZ6D/

The specs look pretty good and it has 32g of RAM. Not a Ryzen but ...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On paper, the stuff with the same components should perform pretty similar. The devil is in the details and at this point I think you are going to have to start watching reviews on YouTube as what matters beyond the specs is thermal performance. There are so many models of stuff out there that in don't think anyone has encyclopedic knowledge of how they all do.

The broadstrokes are Ryzen is faster, cooler, and consumes less power than Intel which makes paying the same price for an Intel version of the same bag of specs less of a value from a performance perspective.

Everything else is negotiable depending on what you want and just watch a few reviews to understand the pros and cons of what you are considering.

The QHD panel is new this year, so when you look at last year models, it's not going to be there.

Generally there are 3 different panels offered in gaming laptops, there aren't many manufacturers of panels.

1080p 240hz
1080p 300hz
1440p 165hz

The last one is new this year, the other two were the two options most went with on last year's model as base panel and then upgrade.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 11, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
How is the ASUS TUF?

I've had an ASUS ROG GL551-JW for the past 5 or so years that has been very good, but it's finally on its way out, and I'm looking for a laptop to replace it. I looked at the G14 on the recommendationg from earlier in the thread, but I don't think it's for me. (Minor complaint I'm too used to my laptop having a numpad, but that's not the only thing). I don't need it for major gaming because I'm building a dedicated gaming desktop at the end of the year, but I want something for daily use, basically. This laptop has been very good to me and I don't want something worse because it's cheaper.

Also I was looking at third party sellers because I want both an SSD and a HDD in it because that's how my current laptop is setup, and is there anything to look out for with those?

The other option I was looking at is a Dell Inspiron. Are those any good?

My budget is about 1400 (thanks, President Biden) but I don't care about high end, so much as "not junk"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Blech, I hate the Inspirons.

Why do you want a SSD and a HDD?

Maybe something like the Gigabyte Aero 15? Might be too gamery. Or a Macbook Pro M1 if you'd consider going dirty with Apple, those impressive if you don't need something that games. I keep wanting to suggest another ROG because you liked yours and its in the price range and its tough to get higher quality. What else about the G14 don't you like?

Are you looking for more portable, more powerful, better media machine....?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mostly want the SSD and HDD because I want the space for storage, basically, and a 1 TB HDD and a 512 GB SSD is cheaper than a 2 TB SSD, essentially. I don't do much gaming, but I do have games on the thing. I'm not married to the idea, I just have space concerns and that's one of the easiest ways I saw.

The only other thing about the G14 that is really disqualifying it for me is that I'd rather have a 15.6" screen over a 14" but that's not much. If that's really head and shoulders above the competition for my price range I'd probably suck it up.

I generally use my laptop in two locations; in my room and in my den, so portability isn't an issue. It's gonna be my primary computer for at the very least the next 8 months, and probably mostly beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just get something with 2 nvme slots and put a SATA 1tb nvme in the 2nd slot.

A 1tb mechanical drive is like $55, a 1tb WD Blue SATA nvme is $99. You are worth $45.