Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

PHUO: the hundred thousand people who were dying every week in occupied east and southeast Asia should not be ignored when considering the decision to bomb Japanese cities and force a surrender.

theyre entirely separate issues and treating them as tit for tat is another example of murderous systematizing and tunnel vision

the bombs could have been dropped on tokyo bay, on an island, on a city but with advance warning, on a military target, or several other options that were proposed at the time. or they could not have been dropped at all, and some other effort could have led to a surrender. whatever the case, roasting men women and children in the name of some kind of body count calculus isn't really human behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
America did not nuke Japan to save japanese lives lol. They had complete air and sea superiority. They coulda done a million different things but they wanted unconditional surrender and used pure terrorism to get it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is bad to kill people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

America did not nuke Japan to save japanese lives lol. They had complete air and sea superiority. They coulda done a million different things but they wanted unconditional surrender and used pure terrorism to get it

no but you see, PhD Historian Playstemon knows for a fact that if we didn't drop a nuclear bomb on two cities full of civilians then more civilians would have been hurt, and as we all know the trolley problem is an easily solved moral conundrum. therefore,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The emperor specifically mentioned the atomic bombings in his broadcast.

He didn’t mince words, either:

quote:

Moreover, the enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives. Should we continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.

Such being the case, how are we to save the millions of our subjects, or to atone ourselves before the hallowed spirits of our imperial ancestors? This is the reason why we have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the joint declaration of the powers.

Well, he didn’t mince words with regards to the cruelty of the bombs. He did mince a lot of other words, when describing the his army’s occupation:

quote:

We cannot but express the deepest sense of regret to our allied nations of East Asia, who have consistently cooperated with the Empire towards the emancipation of East Asia.

He still almost got couped. It was not a foregone conclusion that Japan’s surrender was just around the corner, perhaps when the U.S.S.R. invaded with the fleet they didn’t have.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hm, so we're threatening the literal end of civilization if this tiny island nation doesn't do what we want them to do.

We're definitely the good guys.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is also bad for the people we're killing to kill people.

Basically just no one should kill people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Monkey posted:

Hm, so we're threatening the literal end of civilization if this tiny island nation doesn't do what we want them to do.

We're definitely the good guys.

??? That’s the Japanese emperor’s statement.

He’s saying that if Japan continues to fight, civilization will end. It was not a U.S. threat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The bombs were horrible, but also lol at spinning the literal fascist, Nazi-allied Japanese Empire as a poor innocent tiny island bullied by America.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
PHUO (apparently): Blowing up civilians with radiation bombs is bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

The bombs were horrible, but also lol at spinning the literal fascist, Nazi-allied Japanese Empire as a poor innocent tiny island bullied by America.

Japan may have killed more civilians than Germany did, even, it’s just hard to tell because they didn’t keep their records as well. Stopping that level of crimes against humanity definitely changes the calculus a bit.

As for why they only would accept unconditional surrender, it was less than 30 years after the Treaty of Versailles. That negotiated surrender didn’t work so well; as evidenced by world war 2 happening. With that in recent memory, there was no way they would just not invade Japan and let them be, nor should they have.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As for why they only would accept unconditional surrender, it was less than 30 years after the Treaty of Versailles. That negotiated surrender didn’t work so well; as evidenced by world war 2 happening.

Do you think the problem with the Treaty of Versailles was that Germany got off too well in the negotiations?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The only upside of the nuclear bombing of Japan was that it scared Truman into putting nuclear weapons into a box only the president can open. And that was absolutely accidental.

We had to murder 200k+ people to understand that maybe we shouldn't mass murder people.

Specifically with nuclear weapons. Doing it with firebombs is a-ok.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

cargohills posted:

Do you think the problem with the Treaty of Versailles was that Germany got off too well in the negotiations?

No, just that the negotiation of terms basically failed to achieve its aims entirely and that definitely colored the allies willingness to accept less than total surrender.

In the case of Japan, without an unconditional surrender they wouldn’t have had the ability to tear the government down and that would have no doubt led to a recurrence in 20-40 years, the military would have couped the civilian government (they were about to in WWII anyway) and they would have gone after their neighbors again anyway.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I'm sure the souls of all those millions of civilians murdered or worse in SE Asia by the repressive forces of Japan rest easy in the knowledge that some hundred thousands or so of civilians living under the same repressive regime got obliterated in the nuclear fire for the sins of said regime. Blood for blood, eye for an eye, America gently caress yeah, of course I'm a peace-loving leftist why do you ask

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
whoops, double post

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
phuo: something can be morally reprehensible but necessary at the same time.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
phuo: claiming necessity is an amazing way to justify and whitewash literally any atrocity of your choosing. it just works!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I mean, if it's necessary, it's inherently justified. Sometimes the only way to stop atrocities is to do a bigger one so people know to not do that again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I mean, if it's necessary, it's inherently justified. Sometimes the only way to stop atrocities is to do a bigger one so people know to not do that again.

Neither of those atrocities was bigger than the Holocaust/japans SEA massacres but yeah, to put a stop to that poo poo sometimes you have to do some things that would be difficult to justify otherwise.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The focus on the atomic bombing is a result of cold war era nuclear fears and cultural fears of nuclear annihilation.

The actual thing that should be focused on is the use of strategic bombing on industrial centers, because as others have pointed out the atomic bombings of Japanese cities in ww2 were not all that more destructive compared to other in use tactics like fire bombing.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Mar 8, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I do think nuclear weapons are things that shouldn't be used, but we wouldn't be where we are today if they hadn't been used at least once, and if we hadn't been the ones to do it, someone else would and they'd be the reigning superpower. Nuclear deterrent doesn't work if you've never proven that you are willing to use them when necessary.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maybe if Europe had some balls and stopped the Holocaust America wouldn’t have had to stand up and lay down the law

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
iirc it's been well-established that terror bombing of population centres, nuclear or otherwise, didn't do much strategically-speaking, at least compared to other, more targeted approaches - neither for Axis nor for Allies.

I do think nuclear weapons are things that shouldn't be used, but we wouldn't be where we are today if they hadn't been used at least once, and if we hadn't been the ones to do it, someone else would and they'd be the reigning superpower. Nuclear deterrent doesn't work if you've never proven that you are willing to use them when necessary.

Who is this "we" you keep talking about?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I mean..there's only one country who has used nuclear weapons on other countries before. Who do you think?

Having a constant threat of the end of humanity is necessary for world peace. We aren't there yet, but nuclear weapons are a part of getting there.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

I mean..there's only one country who has used nuclear weapons on other countries before. Who do you think?

Having a constant threat of the end of humanity is necessary for world peace. We aren't there yet, but nuclear weapons are a part of getting there.

Well i'm glad that the sacrificial burning of civilians in the nuclear fire has worked out for you

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

gently caress that poo poo, pardner

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We’re so so close to another “Grave of the Fireflies is problematic because it depicts the bombing and subsequent suffering of Japanese citizens in a negative light” take and I can’t wait

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I dont know about that but its a crap film

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

lol

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Can’t believe Ozymandias from Watchmen posts on these very forums.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not weighing in one way or the other, but dang Shibawanko really did it this time

"I think destroying a civilian population center is bad"

"No their rulers were bad so it was good they were burned to death"

"Okay then nuking the Japanese was good"

"No that's different because"

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
War is bad

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Actually, killing civilians is good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

actually the context doesnt matter. the act itself is grotesque, no amount of moral calculus justifies the atomic bombings especially or anything that targets civilians in those magnitudes

i'm shibawanako, sitting watching the shoah, shrugging and going "to fight back would be criminal"

Shibawanko posted:

im really not interested in discussing the military side of it. it frankly disgusts me and i really hate american grognard attitudes towards this stuff but there were alternatives to dropping the bomb, including not invading at all

that's not a correct use of grognard but good luck to your ideal america, just sitting and chilling till japan decides to just stop invading and murdering, i'm sure everything would be fine and the millions killed would feel fine. you're an idiot viewing japan as the victim and the US as an attacker when Japan started the loving war and the war needed to be ended. It was not a situation where the bully USA was just invading Japan for no reason.

Shibawanko posted:

theyre entirely separate issues and treating them as tit for tat is another example of murderous systematizing and tunnel vision

the bombs could have been dropped on tokyo bay, on an island, on a city but with advance warning, on a military target, or several other options that were proposed at the time. or they could not have been dropped at all, and some other effort could have led to a surrender. whatever the case, roasting men women and children in the name of some kind of body count calculus isn't really human behavior
this is stupid as gently caress. like what? what ends the war that the Empire of Japan started with fewer casualties? There was an assassination and coup attempt on the emperor and government after two atom bombs, a years long blockade that killed far more japanese people than the atom bombs, and the soviet invasion of Manchuria and destruction of the Kwangtung army. But yeah I'm sure if FDR wheels himself out to Tokyo Bay and sits along side Hirohito and shows him an atom bomb, everything ends up different. The fact is you have a stronger emotional connection to Japan than to anywhere else that was getting slaughtered so it's japanese death you're angry about instead of everyone else's.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Mar 8, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Badactura posted:

War is bad

Collapsing Farts posted:

Actually, killing civilians is good

Technically these aren't mutually exclusive

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

PHUO: The discussion situation has developed not necessarily to the thread’s advantage.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This threads way more fun to read when its a bunch of folk discussing whether smooth or crunchy peanut butter is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's smooth, no contest. Why would I want to crunch my pb&j