Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zerilan posted:

The series kinda lost me near the end, but my first real exposure to manga instead of just anime VHSes borrowed from older friends was the english issue of Shonen Jump that had the first Shaman King chapter in it, so it's a series I have some really fond nostalgia of. Will definitely at least check it out soon as it's out.

Much like Soul Eater and FMA, the first Shaman King kind of abandoned the manga and went off on its own near the end. The upcoming remake is apparently a much more faithful adaptation and starts next month (though if it’s Netflix exclusive we might not see it in the west for a lot longer though)

Speaking of Shaman King, is the manga sequel still going/any good?

Also it seems like there are a few side manga related to the series as well, are any of those worth reading?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hopefully a new adaptation can fix some of the manga's pacing issues at the end. It felt like it was just rushing to get through the story, at times almost like it was an abridged version of the plot. Also hopefully the new adaptation removes the creepy bits of Ryu hitting on all the preteen girl characters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, I wonder if they’re only going to include the ending that was added a bit after the fact or somehow find a way to throw both of them in there. I’m also curious if they plan to adapt the sequel/side material at some point as well.

But yeah, I hope they take the opportunity to fix some stuff as well since a show being TOO faithful to the manga can sometimes be a problem for me as well (the first season of Sailor Moon Crystal for example)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want to watch the new Shaman King, but I think I’ll have to wait for the Netflix dub. I can’t stand the main character’s Japanese voice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I want to watch the new Shaman King, but I think I’ll have to wait for the Netflix dub. I can’t stand the main character’s Japanese voice.

He’s voiced by a different person from the original anime (I think his first VA retired or something). I’m not sure what to make of the new one myself, I’d have to hear him talk a bit more first.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I have no interest in not watching the first 12 episodes of Re Shaman King for six months on Netflix's call.

Was bilked by their treatment of LWA ("Complete season" my loving arse), confused by their inconsistent Hi Score Girl dub which seemed to switch between SNES and Super Famicom with each line and utterly insulted with that Khara falating mess that was their dub of Eva.

(Which isn't to say the actors are at fault. They just happen to have the awful luck of being in horrendously mishandled productions)

Re Shaman King's dub is going to have to be spectacular and I mean "getting as many old dub voices as humanly possible with them acting like their lives depended on it" spectacular for me to care much.
:qqsay:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 6, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I got bad news for you about how Khara feels about the Eva dub dude

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Netflix one? The one that insists on having the actors dryly cough out transliterations from ep 1 to End?
Cause I was under the impression it was on their mandate that abomination got made.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I only watched the original series subbed, by 4Kids standards how was the first Shaman King dub?

Not sure if they could get everyone back though considering Ren’s English actor is a Broadway star now (or he was pre-pandemic at least), not sure about the rest though. Speaking of which, is the original Shaman King still legally available anywhere?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Supposedly, 4kids did a pretty good job with SK but the concerned parents backlash about all the discussions of death and necromancy were why One Piece got so heavily censored.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elfface posted:

Supposedly, 4kids did a pretty good job with SK but the concerned parents backlash about all the discussions of death and necromancy were why One Piece got so heavily censored.

I think I heard the show even got some uncut DVDs as well. Not sure if they’re still around though as I also heard 4Kids eventually pulled them when they realized they were outselling the normal ones.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It didn't help that the VA were kinda narked that they had to re-record everything and apparently sub-licencing the shows to Funimation was apprently outwith 4kids' contract with TV Tokyo.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 6, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: It's weird. When this happened I expected to be annoyed. Mash literally overpowers anything even if he shouldn't be able to. Yet, here I am enjoying it. Maybe it's because it always happens to the biggest dick around. Maybe it's because the art always shifts to awesome when he does so. Maybe it's because he's had his righteous speech. I don't know, but I'm along for the ride to watch him bullshit his way through the world.

Sakamoto: The plot thickens, kinda like Sakamoto I guess.

Witch Watch: I still really like this. It's just stupid hijinks and fun characters. Very much early Bleach vibes.

9 Dragonballs: Place your bets on the trope. I'm betting he went home to take care of his siblings and store because the parents died. This series definitely seems to want to play every trope straight.
Still I enjoy it.

Roboco: :unsmith: they're really best friends.

Magu chan: Not it's strongest chaptere

Elusive Samurai:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Roboco was as heartwarming as a Magu-chan chapter this week!

Magu Chan itself was a bit ehh. It's deep lore isn't it's strongest point. I really want curry now, though.

Enjoying Witch Watch, I look forward to more dumb witch shenanigans

Mashle owns so goddamn hard. I hope it's doing well, an anime one day would be amazing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mashle owns so goddamn hard. I hope it's doing well, an anime one day would be amazing.

I just can't get enough of Mash's trash talking.
After overpowering the invincible Carpaccio and his infinite speeches of weak people being useless: "I'm a million times stronger then you, will you give up now?" :black101:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm enjoying Witch Watch. The first couple chapters fell completely flat for me, it just looked like a generic manga going through the motions, but it's been steadily improving since then.

(Tag yourselves, I'm one of the people who find a nice spot and just float there.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao that he just like said gently caress it lets do Sket Dance again.

I enjoyed Sket Dance so it was a good decision.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Current rankings (One Piece, Magu-chan, and Undead Unluck not ranked this week):
Jujutsu Kaisen
My Hero Academia
Dr. Stone
Black Clover
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Mashle
Sakamoto Days
Ayakashi Triangle
High School Family
Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin
Build King
Phantom Seer

I don't read Phantom Seer, so I'm curious: what's so bad about it? Or is it an actually good series that the voters don't appreciate for some reason?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 8, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

phantom seer is a perfectly adequate shonen series. I don't think it's anywhere near the worst thing in jump but it's not especially compelling or anything

it's kind of like black clover where I read it because it's okay enough to not put me off but it's not something I'm ever looking forward to

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its quite untemarkable. I really cant say anything good nor bad about it.
Speaking of unremarkable
I jist noticed That blood oath vampire thing disappeared, got 18 chapters and died in late january
Rip i guess

Witch Watch is neat, but the (non comedic) dynamic of the MCs is nothing novel, or in fact interesting. I do hope it finds its stride though. Im liking the adventures of the witch with the worst magic.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 8, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nothing deserves to be lower than Build King imo, but PS hasn't really found a consistent groove yet and it's existing in a similar space to hugely popular JJK. i do think it hurts to come off the last arc where a really fun character was added but immediately put out of commission, and this current arc only just hit a peak.

there's other stuff in that list like Yozakura where i feel there's not a significant difference in quality but because of serving different groups of readers and Yozakura having seniority it has a stronger standing. unless that one improved significantly in the last 30-odd chapters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Phantom Seer lacks interesting characters which means its doomed basically- it has the same (very talented) artist as that failed Cyberpunk Ninja Squad series from a year back. It's a bummer because the artist is again- very very talented. There's some cool horror elements/designs in the series, but it just isn't carried by its narrative or character writing. If anything was going to keep going I'd pick it over Yozakura which is probably the most forgettable thing after Our Blood Oath, because Phantom Seer at least has some cool design to it which gives it part of what it needs to succeed.

Phantom Seer has some good spreads/pages off an on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Phantom Seer lacks interesting characters which means its doomed basically- it has the same (very talented) artist as that failed Cyberpunk Ninja Squad series from a year back.

Huh, I'm not the only one who remembers Tokyo Shinobi Squad. It was never actually good, writing-wise (the art was fine), but it seemed like the writer was learning things and might eventually write an actually good series some day. It sort of dodged a bullet early on (the first chapter made it seem like it was going to go in a horribly xenophobic direction that it thankfully did not), and it even had some decent fights, but most of the characters were pretty lacking. I liked the Thai kid with the data storage power, and the female lead was cool early on, but they ruined her by making her tsundere for the boring angry-guy-who-cares-about-his-friends male lead. The real problem was the villains, though. They started out as a bunch of Stardust Crusaders-style interchangeable psychopaths of the week. Then there was the Cardinal, who is just a less interesting version of Pain (I like how his girlfriend in his flashback doesn't even get fridged explicitly, you're just supposed to extrapolate that from the other cliches). Then they introduced the Potentate, who seemed to be a less interesting version of All for One, right before it was cancelled.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I still can’t believe World Trigger just did a whole chapter that’s exclusively minor characters sitting around discussing the power rankings of other minor characters

It’s the most WT chapter ever

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

specifically their rankings in how pleasant they would be to spend long amounts of time with in a tiny spaceship, lol

tell c is either hitting its first big arc/turning point or being pushed to wrap up. really excellent chapter for getting to the nice (if simplistic) core of Aioi's character. hopefully it sticks around so we get more of that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Silver2195 posted:

Huh, I'm not the only one who remembers Tokyo Shinobi Squad. It was never actually good, writing-wise (the art was fine), but it seemed like the writer was learning things and might eventually write an actually good series some day. It sort of dodged a bullet early on (the first chapter made it seem like it was going to go in a horribly xenophobic direction that it thankfully did not), and it even had some decent fights, but most of the characters were pretty lacking. I liked the Thai kid with the data storage power, and the female lead was cool early on, but they ruined her by making her tsundere for the boring angry-guy-who-cares-about-his-friends male lead. The real problem was the villains, though. They started out as a bunch of Stardust Crusaders-style interchangeable psychopaths of the week. Then there was the Cardinal, who is just a less interesting version of Pain (I like how his girlfriend in his flashback doesn't even get fridged explicitly, you're just supposed to extrapolate that from the other cliches). Then they introduced the Potentate, who seemed to be a less interesting version of All for One, right before it was cancelled.
The premise of Tokyo Shinobi Squad was interesting until it became entirely about generic shinobi battles with the focus being on shinobi poo poo that would fit in literally any setting instead of it leaning more heavily into the setting that was chosen. If you're gonna go cyberpunk, go cyberpunk and don't use it as window-dressing.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Tokyo Shinobi Squad was amazing(ly stupid).
It had a chapter where a guy fires off a rocket indoors.
Freezes one of his henchmen and shoves him into an ice chipper in order to eat him as shaved ice.

Then goes "Yeah, our line of work doesn't allow us to make a scene"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm pretty fond of Yozakura family. The dynamic of the protagonists is fairly different from most shounen thanks to the whole family thing and the action art is usually above average.

Its weakness is antagonists. Both visually and as characters they're usually super generic. Except the dad, I want to know his deal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nrook posted:

I still can’t believe World Trigger just did a whole chapter that’s exclusively minor characters sitting around discussing the power rankings of other minor characters

wait that updated? man I cannot keep track of the non weekly series for some reason

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty fond of Yozakura family. The dynamic of the protagonists is fairly different from most shounen thanks to the whole family thing and the action art is usually above average.

Its weakness is antagonists. Both visually and as characters they're usually super generic. Except the dad, I want to know his deal.

Yeah, Yokozura family gives me extreme Reborn before Reborn went off the rails vibes. I enjoy that series.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

nrook posted:

I’m so glad World Trigger came back. I’m rather enjoying season 2 of the anime so far and it’s making it a lot easier to remember everyone!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
While I don't actually enjoy it as much as a more conventional shonen manga like Jujutsu Kaisen, I admire the World Trigger author's commitment to that kind of detail. Even though the big picture of the setting doesn't really make much sense (the responsibility for fending off alien invasions has essentially been entrusted to an after-school sports club in one town), there's a lot of thought put into all the little things - not just how the superpowers work, but also human touches like how the different teams arrange the furniture in their meeting rooms. It's the way a certain subset of shonen manga fans (at least, a lot of English-speaking Naruto fans back when that was running) seem to want shonen manga to be written (e.g., complaining that the limitations on the Substitution Jutsu that make it so much weaker in practice than Amenotejikara aren't spelled out explicitly enough), but no one except the World Trigger guy seems to actually write it that way, for better or for worse.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2021

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
TBH I'm a big fan of World Trigger, but there's no doubt I'd love it more if it wasn't in a monthly format. The pace is really hard to deal with. It still feels more like a weekly with hiatuses between issues than a monthly.

That being said I hope the author doesn't strain himself too much, it seems like his health isn't great.

nrook posted:

I was surprised about how much I enjoyed this.

Silver2195 posted:

Even though the big picture of the setting doesn't really make much sense (the responsibility for fending off alien invasions has essentially been entrusted to an after-school sports club in one town), there's a lot of thought put into all the little things - not just how the superpowers work, but also human touches like how the different teams arrange the furniture in their meeting rooms.

I love the dichotomy of not great writing RE: Setting and larger world (strictly earth) stuff combined with insane attention to detail in fights and character development.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbf entrusting the fate of the world to what is effectively a school club is extremely common in shonen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the leadership is all adults, the staff is all teenagers. it's so bizarre, especially since there's nothing about how trion works that requires child soldiers. and even if there was, that wouldn't explain why the operators who do not use trion are also teenagers.

you have to ignore most of the details of the setting to enjoy wt.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there is some lore for why the soldiers are mostly kids, Trion glands stop developing in your 20s so training from a young age makes more powerful soldiers. i don't remember everyone's age but there do seem to be a good handful of characters nearing or in their 20s at least.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's extra weird because you have the old, 30 year old guys who are all in charge are super powerful Trion dudes, and the aliens even had an old guy in their ranks but most of them just sit around doing nothing.

Like, it'd be trivial in the setting to just have the grown ups off doing Offworld poo poo and pair it with the protagonist's goals. The Trion soldier fighting and rank wars are even explicitly just basically cadet training anyway.

The weirder thing to me is that there aren't more people whose families are immigrants to this town. You'd think the one contact point earth has with the multiverse would attract people from all over Japan, let alone internationally.

But who cares, the manga is fun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbf entrusting the fate of the world to what is effectively a school club is extremely common in shonen

The difference is that things like Assassination Classroom and Food Wars are pretty tongue-in-cheek about their premises, while World Trigger plays the setting mostly straight.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dogsicle posted:

nothing deserves to be lower than Build King imo, but PS hasn't really found a consistent groove yet and it's existing in a similar space to hugely popular JJK. i do think it hurts to come off the last arc where a really fun character was added but immediately put out of commission, and this current arc only just hit a peak.

there's other stuff in that list like Yozakura where i feel there's not a significant difference in quality but because of serving different groups of readers and Yozakura having seniority it has a stronger standing. unless that one improved significantly in the last 30-odd chapters.

I was ready to bat for Phantom Seer for a while. The characters weren't great but had a bit of charm to them and the art was nice.

Then one chapter something in my brain snapped and I realized just how big of a copy it is of JJK. High schoolers in secret group that hunts demons. Main character summons other demon's to fight. Other main character is a ridiculously powerful demon hunter that everyone knows about that also covers their eyes for mysterious reasons. For whatever reason the similarities became so obvious to me that I just couldn't keep reading be abuse it stopped being a story to me, and just a means to leech off JJK's success. It just doesn't have enough of its own voice to make it stand above those comparisons like Chainsaw Man did - which was even MORE of a blatant copy, but oozed style so strongly that it didn't matter. CSM eventually veered far off in its own direction than JJK, and while maybe Phantom Seer will too, I just am not that interested in staying along for the ride. Maybe if it sticks around for a while and posters here sing it some praises I'll check it out again. I do want to like it, it's just pretty blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

While I don't actually enjoy it as much as a more conventional shonen manga like Jujutsu Kaisen, I admire the World Trigger author's commitment to that kind of detail. Even though the big picture of the setting doesn't really make much sense (the responsibility for fending off alien invasions has essentially been entrusted to an after-school sports club in one town), there's a lot of thought put into all the little things - not just how the superpowers work, but also human touches like how the different teams arrange the furniture in their meeting rooms. It's the way a certain subset of shonen manga fans (at least, a lot of English-speaking Naruto fans back when that was running) seem to want shonen manga to be written (e.g., complaining that the limitations on the Substitution Jutsu that make it so much weaker in practice that Amenotejikara aren't spelled out explicitly enough), but no one except the World Trigger guy seems to actually write it that way, for better or for worse.

I consider World Trigger to essentially be a sports manga that is very good at being "balanced" and giving attention and detail to a large cast of characters/teams. The combat usually has comparatively low stakes because they can just bail out, so it's more like a team combat sport that occasionally becomes serious.