Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I guessed Queen due to the recent movie and "We Are the Champions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dick Jones posted:

I guessed Queen due to the recent movie and "We Are the Champions"

Oooooh this is a good guess and I would have probably gone for that if I'd thought of it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wa27 posted:

I diagree - playing to maximize earnings before even looking for DDs was wild. Remember before James, the craziest bettor was Roger Craig because he sometimes liked to bet big on DDs. And then James casually out-scored his best game 16 times.

I mean, Alex Jacob did that as well to a lesser extent a couple years before James, and he made some decently big bets. He also had a gambling background as well.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I keep fuckin thinking about Dierks Bentley's Holistic Detective Agency and laughing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I mean, Alex Jacob did that as well to a lesser extent a couple years before James, and he made some decently big bets. He also had a gambling background as well.

He’s also responsible for the “genre” video which makes him one of the most important jeopardy contestants based on that alone.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

He’s also responsible for the “genre” video which makes him one of the most important jeopardy contestants based on that alone.

“Genre”. Loved when Ken was trying to imitate him.

Katie Couric starting tomorrow?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GhostStalker posted:

Katie Couric starting tomorrow?

Unfortunately, yes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think I'm going to end up liking Couric more than Richards.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Same. Mike was ok for the first few days but the longer his run went the more I hated him and now I hope he never appears on my TV again ever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Same. Mike was ok for the first few days but the longer his run went the more I hated him and now I hope he never appears on my TV again ever.

:same:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

I don't think he wanted to be on TV (at least regarding Jeopardy) to begin with. The only times he was on was to announce Alex's death and as emergency backup host due to Mrázek's in... Uh, Ken's scheduling conflict.

Maybe Couric does well but I doubt she wants the job full time.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

HookShot posted:

100% agreed.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

:wrong:

Edit: yup after her first ep as expected shes pretty bad

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 8, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ughhhhhhh that sucks. I mean I don't really care about the guest hosts but I do enjoy watching this show. I guess I'll find out in four hours or so for myself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

She was very stiff and at points seemed like a marionette, but she wasn't offensively awful or anything.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Island Nation posted:

I don't think he wanted to be on TV (at least regarding Jeopardy) to begin with. The only times he was on was to announce Alex's death and as emergency backup host due to Mrázek's in... Uh, Ken's scheduling conflict.

Maybe Couric does well but I doubt she wants the job full time.

Trust me - the dude is a one-man PR machine. You're going to see him and hear of him way more than you did Harry Friedman.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I thought the beginning with the “let’s go have some fun!!!” was cringey. Who needs that type of energy in their jeopardy??

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Couric was fine for me. A million times better than another week of Mike.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

naaaaaaaah...

Couric is fine and has a pretty good PBS energy when she was actually going through the clues. I think she struggled to find a voice when there was an incorrect Daily Double response or rule change where you actually have to throw in some showmanship. She also just had some cringey moments like calling them braniacs. She very much feels like a visitor which ya know, fair...

I'm sure Richards is a nice guy and all, but he has a much more generic TV host feel that got old after a bit. And once again, I'm sure it was well meaning, but repeating Alex's final week speech got really bad and felt forced. It really was a beautiful moment that Alex got to have, and it being turned into Bob Barker telling you to spade and neuter your animals became really painful after a bit. I'd honestly take Couric calling people braniacs everyday over that. I was incredibly relieved that Couric didn't continue it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timeless Appeal posted:

naaaaaaaah...

Couric is fine and has a pretty good PBS energy when she was actually going through the clues. I think she struggled to find a voice when there was an incorrect Daily Double response or rule change where you actually have to throw in some showmanship. She also just had some cringey moments like calling them braniacs. She very much feels like a visitor which ya know, fair...

I agree with this entirely. She had a couple instances of strange cadence when reading the clues, but it was literally show 1 of day 1 of filming. I thought she did fine and I felt able to absorb myself in the clues without thinking about the host. The more improvisational moments weren't her strong suit, but that would come with more familiarity and comfort in the gig.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Couric talks like shes constantly trying to praise a 5 year old on a drawing they just did. Her enthusiasm sounds so fake and forced. Shes been on how many shows by now and she still cant manage to just relax and talk like a normal person.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
She was fine, her banter needs work but that comes with time. It's a tough setting in which to land a joke.

Ouch on missing Final due to a missing S. At least it didn't affect the outcome.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Glad to see Jeopardy goons are very nornal about a female host, lmao. :allears:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I thought she did well overall. Her pacing was good and matched Alex maybe even closer than Ken did. She's not awkward responding to incorrect responses, which tripped Mike up badly, but I did feel the "wooden" sentiments at the end when she started to review the totals. Something about it had the wrong kind of energy and kind of came across like a bingo caller, if that makes any sense?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I thought she was fine. Plus she asked that guy about his favourite under sea animal which is a thing not enough people ask about.

She also didn’t have that awkward pause between the contestants answer and saying if it was right or wrong which drove me nuts about Mike.

She also gets bonus points for making Trump voters on the J! Facebook page super angry.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nice that she doesnt do the annoying "...nooo?" thing Ken and Mike do.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My local station is preempting both Jeopardy and Wheel for an hour-long PSA about hidden biases. Not sure why, since they're also simulcasting the PSA on one of their subchannels. Guess it'll air tomorrow.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Liked Couric a lot. Unsure if this is because she did a good job or if i'm just detoxing from mike richards and the world seems alive again, but i enjoyed the show. Could definitely do two weeks or whatever of this before the real Garbage Carousel starts

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Didn’t think I’d like her as the host but I’m actually enjoying Couric

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Loved everything about Couric's vibe tonight.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like that Couric was not trying to imitate Trebek. I'm not a fan of her as a host, but I respect that she was just being herself.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm still dreading Dr. Oz. I hope every game has a clue category about pseduoscience or snake oil.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm still dreading Dr. Oz. I hope every game has a clue category about pseduoscience or snake oil.

He'd just pepper in how that was on his show and really works and you can buy it now.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think Couric is doing fine so far, though I agree with some of the criticisms in the thread. Started a little shaky, but Ken and Mike had both been around the show a lot previously so it was probably easier for them to jump into it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

An easier time that someone who's been on tv for close to 30 years?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It felt that she was using her serious newsreader voice rather than a voice used for some inane music act in the last hour of Today but it's a minor issue.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have no doubt she’ll do better over time but I’d so much rather see Levar Burton given a try rather than people like Couric and Dr Oz.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I thought she was really good on today's show. Reading the clues clearly and confidently along with keeping the game going at a decent pace by not leaving too much pace between responses was great. She maybe got a little too "Kindergarten teacher" when praising the contestants but that was minor for me. Put Mike in the garbage forever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Katie Couric is like if your mom was hosting Jeopardy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Somehow convinced myself a butterfly was not an insect in Final Jeopardy. Guessed something else instead because I thought I had to be remembering the story wrong.

I'm liking Couric. She's not trying to do too much with it. Her cadence was better tonight as well. There were a few clues Monday where that threw me off.

Iron Crowned posted:

Katie Couric is like if your mom was hosting Jeopardy

The Today Show was the last thing I saw before I went to school as a teen, so it might be that, too.