Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
crunchy and smooth both have their place :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I agree smooth belongs in the kitchen and crunchy in the trash

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Gaius Marius posted:

:wrong:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

what the gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

King Hong Kong posted:

PHUO: The discussion situation has developed not necessarily to the thread’s advantage.

:nice:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

:emptyquote:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They both belong in the trash.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They both belong in the trash.

but enough about yourself

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If I want crunch in my peanut butter I can mix in some fritos and radishes

Yes that's gross but I mean if the alternative is just slightly crunchier lumps of the same stuff I'm already eating I'll take them.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What about almond butter

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Crunchy peanut butter is stupid, but it doesn’t repulse me. I’ll eat that garbage.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Jam is better than jelly and I've watched enough British cooking things on YouTube and they seem to think we Americans use those terms interchangeably.

We do not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think "regular" peanut butter like Jif etc tastes better than the natural kind and I like not having to stir it every time. Smooth is the only option too. I admittedly did go through a crunchy phase in college but it didn't last long before I saw the light again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i'm shibawanako, sitting watching the shoah, shrugging and going "to fight back would be criminal"

that's not a correct use of grognard but good luck to your ideal america, just sitting and chilling till japan decides to just stop invading and murdering, i'm sure everything would be fine and the millions killed would feel fine. you're an idiot viewing japan as the victim and the US as an attacker when Japan started the loving war and the war needed to be ended. It was not a situation where the bully USA was just invading Japan for no reason.

there were many alternatives proposed at the time and they were considered feasible. hiroshima was deliberately spared conventional bombing long before the bomb was dropped, since they wanted to end the war on a terroristic, total victory type of scenario rather than any other possible option

quote:

The fact is you have a stronger emotional connection to Japan than to anywhere else that was getting slaughtered so it's japanese death you're angry about instead of everyone else's.

let's flip this: the reason you defend the decision is because youre american and you got this stuff drilled into your head from junior high days

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Have y'all tried Skrewball, that peanut-butter flavored whiskey? Now that's smooth

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That sounds pretty great. I imagine it's pretty expensive though. I don't know why.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think "regular" peanut butter like Jif etc tastes better than the natural kind and I like not having to stir it every time. Smooth is the only option too. I admittedly did go through a crunchy phase in college but it didn't last long before I saw the light again.

wow I guess you like peanut frosting then, you imbecile, you child :smug: :smug: :smug:

artsy fartsy posted:

Have y'all tried Skrewball, that peanut-butter flavored whiskey? Now that's smooth

I tried some last weekend, actually

The peanut butter taste really, really lingers

PizzaProwler posted:

That sounds pretty great. I imagine it's pretty expensive though. I don't know why.

it is not

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

there were many alternatives proposed at the time and they were considered feasible. hiroshima was deliberately spared conventional bombing long before the bomb was dropped, since they wanted to end the war on a terroristic, total victory type of scenario rather than any other possible option

let's flip this: the reason you defend the decision is because youre american and you got this stuff drilled into your head from junior high days

what other options were there? tell us. what about the US war effort is terrorist and why is a non-total victory preferable? what part of imperial japan do you think was worth preserving? why do you think the one big bomb was so much worse than the horrific years long naval blockade and why do you not consider, say, koreans to be people? are you also angry that the allies didn't agree to a negotiated peace with Germany? does your stupid rear end hear about Dönitz as second führer and think "I can't believe this terrorist russkys and yanks wouldn't come to an agreement with the innocent reich"

also lol, i'm worse, american and french, and in neither country did we get history class that goes up to world war 2 before college.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Mar 9, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What if the allies had dropped a jar of chunky peanut butter on Japan.

(I came back to this thread and I couldn't find this post so I assumed the mods deleted it for being too thought-provoking and edgy, but it was actually just sitting unfinished in a tab I've had open for forty minutes. You win this time, cancel culture)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

christmas boots posted:

What if the allies had dropped a jar of chunky peanut butter on Japan.

The emperor’s tongue is now stuck to the roof of his mouth. He is unable to voice surrender. Many thousands die.

You monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkqzxss8Ss&t=5s

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: Decent (not high end) sushi is too expensive. It takes very little skill to make the midrange stuff and the ingredients are cheap. I mean most of what you're getting is farmed fish, rice, and maybe some bog standard vegetables.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

artsy fartsy posted:

Mix it with berry ciders for a pbj mixed drink.

You are welcome.

I brought a bottle of Skrewball out on survey one time after talking about it and it disappeared in one night.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what other options were there? tell us. what about the US war effort is terrorist and why is a non-total victory preferable? what part of imperial japan do you think was worth preserving? why do you think the one big bomb was so much worse than the horrific years long naval blockade and why do you not consider, say, koreans to be people? are you also angry that the allies didn't agree to a negotiated peace with Germany? does your stupid rear end hear about Dönitz as second führer and think "I can't believe this terrorist russkys and yanks wouldn't come to an agreement with the innocent reich"

also lol, i'm worse, american and french, and in neither country did we get history class that goes up to world war 2 before college.

youre an idiot

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Decent (not high end) sushi is too expensive. It takes very little skill to make the midrange stuff and the ingredients are cheap. I mean most of what you're getting is farmed fish, rice, and maybe some bog standard vegetables.

This largely depends on where you are and the restaurant in question. But yes, often this is the case.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Mix it with berry ciders for a pbj mixed drink.

You are welcome.

I brought a bottle of Skrewball out on survey one time after talking about it and it disappeared in one night.

I chased it with a raspberry sour and it worked pretty well

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Boysenberry jam on bread is one of the few good sandwiches.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what part of imperial japan do you think was worth preserving?

Between 129,000 and 226,000 people and the cities they lived in

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

why do you think the one big bomb was so much worse than the horrific years long naval blockade

The bombs were bad because they pulverised between 129,000 and 226,000 people and the cities they lived in

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

why do you not consider, say, koreans to be people?

It would also be bad to pulverise between 129,000 and 226,000 people and the cities they lived in if they were Korean instead of Japanese

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

I chased it with a raspberry sour and it worked pretty well

I chased it with pickle moonshine once and it didn't work at all. It made me hate both liquors and the guy that said it tasted good.

People care too much about hot sauce. It's not cool that you own 30 bottles of sauce that are all going gross.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The alternatives to the bombs was thousands of tons of chemical weapons and mass starvation of non combatants in Japan. There was not an option to not have thousands of deaths, that was never on the table after japan invaded china, Korea, and most of southeast Asia.

1. Tokyo says no unconditional surrender: On 17 July Foreign Minister Togo sent the following message to Ambassador Sato"
"We have been fully aware from the outset that it would be difficult under existing circumstances either to strengthen the ties of friendship between Japan and Russia or to make effective use of Russia in ending the war. The present situation, however is such that we have no recourse but to make efforts along those lines and we cannot be satisfied merely with keeping Russia from entering the war against Japan. We have therefore decided to recognize the Russians wishes on a broad scale in order to obtain their favor. Negotiations for that purpose are necessary ------[Word uncertain, possibly "prerequisite"] for soliciting Russia's good offices in concluding the war and also in improving the basis for negotiations with England and America.
"Although the directing powers, and the Government as well, are convinced that our war strength can still deliver considerable blows to the enemy, we are unable to feel and absolutely secure peace of mind in the face of an enemy who will attack repeatedly. If today, when we are still maintaining our strength, the Anglo Americans were to have regard for Japan's honor and existence, they could save humanity by bringing the war to an end. If, however they insist unrelentingly upon unconditional surrender, the Japanese are unanimous in their resolve to wage a thoroughgoing war.
"The Emperor himself has deigned to express his determination and we have therefore made this request of the russians. Please bear particularly in mind, however that we are not asking the Russians Mediation in anything like unconditional surrender."

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB162/33.pdf
From intercepted Japanese Diplomatic cables between the Russian Ambassador and the Foreign Ministry.

Regardless of how you feel please look over at least the data here

https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB162/index.htm

And if you want to debate it don't do it in this thread

Gaius Marius has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Mar 9, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This is a very boring conversation ngl

Can we just agree that vaporizing unwilling civilians is a land of contrasts and move on to something that normal people would talk about

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Can we just agree that vaporizing unwilling civilians is a land of contrasts and move on to something that normal people would talk about

"vaporizing civilians bad" seems to be quite an unpopular opinion around here, tbh

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

nurmie posted:

"vaporizing civilians bad" seems to be quite an unpopular opinion around here, tbh

You've just made an enemy for life

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The bombs were bad because they prevented the liberation of the Japanese people by the Soviet Union.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

About which part? Both?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

PizzaProwler posted:

About which part? Both?

both

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

The bombs were bad because they prevented the liberation of the Japanese people by the Soviet Union.

Or as I like to call it, the Third Rome.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Removing your shoes when entering a home should be a universal practice. If your socks are terrible, gently caress you, get better socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My dogs track in snow, mud, or dirt, depending on the season. I feel sorry for anyone going sock-footed in my house.