Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

This is what happens when you have competition. I can get Verizon Fios (what I have) and two cable companies, all offering gigabit, though the cable is not symmetric, and Comcast keeps threatening data caps.

(The other way this happens is municipal fiber but lol if telcos will ever allow that to happen.)

Yeah we have both AT&T and Comcast gigabit fiber which probably keeps the prices 'sane' at least. All in all my bill each month is $140 for uncapped AT&T fiber and TV package. You have to have the TV package for uncapped cable without a fee, and it didn't work to be too much more than just having the internet alone, and I watch a whole bunch of internet sports so it works out well enough. I'll be on the phone again when my year is up to argue it down and see what I can get, though. I never had Xfinity on gigabit, and the cable connection I was on was under a different name so in theory I could just move back over - but I'm pretty happy with my AT&T connection truth be told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Laserface posted:

LOL what Im in Sydney and my home internet is fibre to the home, 100/40 and its $80 a month for unlimited data with Telstra. you can go to Aussiebroadband or mate or superloop and get 250/40 for 6 months at that price ($100 after)

by 'third largest city' do you mean 'actually the smallest'?

jesus christ man, grandfathered in on some old rear end ADSL plan. what in the world.

It’s not adsl. It’s telstra’s special private south Brisbane fibre network. It’s a huge clusterfuck, makes an entertaining read.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’m upgrading to a 12 pro and looking at some new accessories. Any recommendations for a MagSafe battery pack or should I totally avoid those?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’m upgrading to a 12 pro and looking at some new accessories. Any recommendations for a MagSafe battery pack or should I totally avoid those?

Only get the MagSafe if you get an Apple case. They’re fine, overpriced for sure, but it’s a neat trick if you want it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Only get the MagSafe if you get an Apple case. They’re fine, overpriced for sure, but it’s a neat trick if you want it.

Can you explain that a little more? Do you mean that 3rd party cases won't work with the Magsafe charger? It requires the magnets that are on the Apple cases? The product descriptions (for whatever that's worth) for some generic cases indicate they're MagSafe compatible.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you explain that a little more? Do you mean that 3rd party cases won't work with the Magsafe charger? It requires the magnets that are on the Apple cases? The product descriptions (for whatever that's worth) for some generic cases indicate they're MagSafe compatible.

I'd bought a Spigen "MagSafe" case. It's not officially MFI/MagSafe branded, but it's got a magnetic ring in the right place. Accessories didn't stay put as well as they did on the bare phone or the Apple silicone or leather cases.

The official MFI policy doc to get the MagSafe brand has specs for things like minimum pulling force required to pop off an attached accessory.

Also the phone would never charge right on a Qi pad with the Spigen case on it. Maybe something about their magnets getting in the way of negotiating with the charging pad? I don't know, but it was frustrating because I otherwise liked the feel of the case more.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks! That all makes total sense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

guys guys when I'm on the phone with my beats flex the little audio icon is little ear buds with a B it's probably old news haha but anyway I thought it was really cool 8)

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait for the official one and pray it’s more efficient. The anker one is rear end (5000mah can only charge a 12 like 95% because of the terrible efficiency of wireless charging). I just bought a PD one so I can plug it in for 10-15 minutes and be good for a couple hours. I love the idea of a magnetic power bank but I’ll probably be too cheap to spend 80 bucks or whatever crazy price the Apple one will end up costing when my $25 bank does the job.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anker should make them daisy-chain-able so you can just buy a few and keep them in your bag and charge them off one port. Still probably cheaper than what Apple will charge, considering their last battery case was $100.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Adonis posted:

Wait for the official one and pray it’s more efficient. The anker one is rear end (5000mah can only charge a 12 like 95% because of the terrible efficiency of wireless charging). I just bought a PD one so I can plug it in for 10-15 minutes and be good for a couple hours. I love the idea of a magnetic power bank but I’ll probably be too cheap to spend 80 bucks or whatever crazy price the Apple one will end up costing when my $25 bank does the job.

I can’t wait for when Apple removes the port for charging on the premise of it being environmentally friendly and then it causes all iPhones to require 33% more electricity to charge because of all the wasted power with wireless charging.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I experienced spatial audio with my AirPods pros for the first time and it was weird as poo poo. Kept pulling them out to see if the sound was coming from the pods or the phone.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone have issues with the control center randomly pulling down? I have a mini if that matters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone have issues with the control center randomly pulling down? I have a mini if that matters.

You're holding it wrong :v:

Try a hard reset and see what that does.

Edit: Received my 12 pro in the mail today. Man, I missed the rectangular shape from the 4/5 days.
So I need to unload my old phone. Where’s a good resource on determining how much I should sell it for?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 9, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I guess we won't see more small iPhones in the future.

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1369646188803293185?s=21

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the future we will all be making phone calls from iPad minis.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Goddammit, I hope we see small phones because my Mini is the perfect size.

It’s strange, I’m not a particularly big dude but I love my Mini while everyone I know— including women around 5 feet tall, like big phones. They also rarely use both hands so it makes no sense.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thought the mini was a cool niche—I just wanted the better camera. Was nice that there was the option anyway

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They're gonna take the wrong lesson from this, that people don't want small phones. These things would sell better if they weren't just shittier versions of the bigger phones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

They're gonna take the wrong lesson from this, that people don't want small phones. These things would sell better if they weren't just shittier versions of the bigger phones.

they're not. the 12 and 12 mini are the same in all respects other than the size of the display and battery

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pro camera on mini please :negative:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pro camera on mini please :negative:

I still would honestly love a pro camera and modern guts in an iPhone 4 body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At the very least, make the phone a little thicker so we lose the camera bump, give us a single lens option, and use all that discovered space for even more battery.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Very sad if the only good small phone is discontinued. I went shopping for one a while ago to replace my original SE, but the budget didn't quite stretch and I bought an 11. Now, the 11 is an amazing phone and I love it. I'm really glad I went for a faceID phone because I do love the big screen. But it is a very unwieldy object, and the rounded edges make it difficult to grip. One handed use is effectively impossible, and it's only since I can't do it anymore I realised that I used the SE one handed most of the time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Weedle posted:

they're not. the 12 and 12 mini are the same in all respects other than the size of the display and battery
Their cameras are worse than the pros

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I still would honestly love a pro camera and modern guts in an iPhone 4 body.

big same, or even a 5

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

ok but the regular 12 is a huge success. there's really no way to read this other than the smallest phone appealed to the fewest people

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Right, specs are almost identical between the 12 and the 12 Mini, and the regular 12 is apparently doing a-okay. So either people broadly don’t want a smaller form factor or maybe people just think the Mini must suck more than the regular based on its name/size/whatever, whether consciously or not.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Many small iPhone consumers also probably just upgraded to the newer SE and can’t yet justify a new phone purchase.

Maybe they want the home button or touchid.

Lot of possibilities.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’d like a smaller phone than the 12, maybe a tad smaller than the XS. But the 12 mini is too small for me and I do want all 3 lenses. I tried a 12 for the ~2 week return period and upgraded to the Pro cause coming from the XS I lost a camera and didn’t like it.

If there was a 12 pro semi-mini I’d be all over that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maybe small phone users are just very loud and vocal about their love of small phones while the general population doesn't care and likes big phones because they're good?

Same thing with the iPad Mini although that costs more than the regular iPad because Apple (rightly) recognized that small form factors are a niche product.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I've managed to get used to the iPhone X / 12 size and big screens, though I was long of the "5/5S is the perfect size and shape" opinion. At least my 12 Pro is the right shape. I couldn't imagine dealing with a "max" sized phone; the 12 is big enough, dammit. My thumb just can't stretch any further. The "max" size only seems advantageous if it's your sole internet device or you have poor eyesight or something.

Speaking of confusingly-popular gadget sizes, I'll never be on board for the larger-sized Apple Watch. Despite being a 5'10" man with proportional wrists, it's all been 38/40mm for me. Big just feels goofy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i would have got a mini except the reviews made it sound like the battery life was a compromise and I spend about an hour a night on my phone watching stupid poo poo so a slightly bigger screen was better for me.

I managed to cover half the cost by selling my XS too so it worked out well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i was also worried about battery life going from a xr to a 12 mini, but it turned out not to be a particularly difficult adjustment. i sometimes have to charge in the evening but i have no problem making it through a workday

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Weedle posted:

i was also worried about battery life going from a xr to a 12 mini, but it turned out not to be a particularly difficult adjustment. i sometimes have to charge in the evening but i have no problem making it through a workday
That's OK for now, but what about in 2, 3, 4 years?

Some people keep their phones long enough for this to be a consideration. I'm still on an original SE, and I previously used a 5 for about four years. I'd love a mini, the size and camera are wonderful, but if the battery life is just adequate when new, it's going to be painful before I'm ready to upgrade again. The regular 12 is very nice, but expensive. The updated SE is another option, at least it's cheaper, but I don't like the rounded form factor.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Get a mini after all and plan on replacing the battery after a couple of years? Talk myself into the updated SE? Try to budget for a 12? None of the options seem that appealing, even though I really like the 12 form factor. Ideally I could eke out another year on this original SE, my needs are modest, but I suspect that support will be dropped this summer and I'll need to choose something then.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I went from a 5 to an SE (1) and thought "this is the ideal phone size, nothing is better than this size." Then I went to an iPhone 8 and thought that that was the perfect size. I've been on 12 Pro for about 3 months now and... I still think the 8/SE 2 is the ideal size. The 12 Mini feels slightly too small for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fourwood posted:

Right, specs are almost identical between the 12 and the 12 Mini, and the regular 12 is apparently doing a-okay. So either people broadly don’t want a smaller form factor or maybe people just think the Mini must suck more than the regular based on its name/size/whatever, whether consciously or not.
Rumors are pointing to the 13 mini existing with the next round, and I have some galaxy brain explanation for keeping it around.

Pricing wise, for people that want a new "normal" size phone, the mini effectively bumps up the price in the lineup. And that higher price gets closer to the Pro models so those are potentially an easier upsell at that point. So might not sell much itself, but the ultimate effect on the lineup is people spending more money than they otherwise would (including the niche idiots like me that spent like $800 for the 12 mini vs a battery for my SE1 or one of the cheaper phones). You can see how much better the 12 Pro models did as a mix of phones sold compared to the 11 Pros.

(...or if you want to use normal logic, people just really fuckin want the big rear end phone and extra camera tech)

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Really? The 12 pro has the zoom but is the same otherwise right? You can shoot in RAW but that seems like something few people would actually use. Same for using the LIDAR for focus at night, cool trick. The 12 Pro Max has a bigger sensor so that one has a clear advantage. I'm always surprised to see people with a 12 pro. It seems like a really marginal improvement over the 12 for a lot more money.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

gloom posted:

Some people keep their phones long enough for this to be a consideration. I'm still on an original SE, and I previously used a 5 for about four years. I'd love a mini, the size and camera are wonderful, but if the battery life is just adequate when new, it's going to be painful before I'm ready to upgrade again. The regular 12 is very nice, but expensive. The updated SE is another option, at least it's cheaper, but I don't like the rounded form factor.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Get a mini after all and plan on replacing the battery after a couple of years? Talk myself into the updated SE? Try to budget for a 12? None of the options seem that appealing, even though I really like the 12 form factor. Ideally I could eke out another year on this original SE, my needs are modest, but I suspect that support will be dropped this summer and I'll need to choose something then.

If you use the compare iPhone feature on Apple's website, the 12 mini is rated as having better battery life than the iPhone SE you currently have.

I looked up information on iOS updates recently, and it looks like Apple historically updates old versions of iOS with security updates on the older phones which do not receive the newest iOS. After learning that, I think I might keep my iPhone SE even longer now. It is still a great phone, and there is not a compelling reason for me to upgrade. I had the battery replaced in the phone a couple of months ago (Apple still does battery replacement on the SE), and it is working great.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

gloom posted:

Just put like $5 away a month and get a new battery when you need to. Like seriously. Batteries grade. All batteries degrade. No smart phone battery is going to last 4 years and still he just as good as new.

If you can invent one you’ll either be rich from royalties selling the technology or rich because some battery company pays you a billion dollars to shut the gently caress up about it because it goes against their bottom line.

It’s a bit silly how people throw $500+ at phones, $20+ on screen protectors and cases, $1+ at apps, $12+ a month for Netflix, but they can’t or won’t budget a battery replacement.