Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Oh yeah I made this thread
Between work, getting a PS4 and pretty much leaving SA I stopped following stuff, but in checking some retro stuff and seeing this thread I was reminded that "Oh yeah that's right, Brood War rules."
Think I'll go back and watch through the ASLs (starting with 6 it looks like). Also this team league looks right up my alley. Any other tournaments work going back and watching or major drama/developments/happenings since early 2018?
Also Flash is playing random now? That's pretty cool.
Sucks about the English cast, but reading that news takes me back to the old days with Cholera and Rise and Diggity commenting over 240p videos broken up because of the Youtube 10 minute limit... and loving every second of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
In remastered whats with the discrepancy between the in-game apm figure (above the unit bar) and the post game APM?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

In remastered whats with the discrepancy between the in-game apm figure (above the unit bar) and the post game APM?

Post game is probably an average?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Average vs immediate. If it's off by a factor of 67/42 or 42/67 then it's being translated to normal speed from fastest, but I don't think SCR does anything like that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Elyv posted:

I started watching the Artosis casts on his caster channel yesterday and they're really good! I was afraid it devolve into the salt and sarcasm he's sometimes known for but no, even when protoss does the PvT builds he hates he treats it neutrally and is super good at covering the entire game despite doing it solo. He's casting one game(not series) per day and I think watching those might become a daily activity for me for at least the next little bit.

Caster Tosis is great, streamer Tosis is...uncomfortable sometimes?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Khorne posted:

Average vs immediate. If it's off by a factor of 67/42 or 42/67 then it's being translated to normal speed from fastest, but I don't think SCR does anything like that.

I've been getting a post game average of around 220ish while the in game display shows me tending to lag behind at the end game, around 160-190. Which honestly makes sense, it's pretty much mopping up, no real reason to keep going bananas when you're just murdering the comps last few buildings. Honestly I'm amazed at how much I've consciously improved it and at the same time how slow it feels at times lol. I do spam at the beginning though lol :blush:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
From artosis stream:

quote:

Tasteless and I are in talks with AfreecaTV about doing an official broadcast / VODs for ASL via crowdfunding (Patreon probably). Please let us know if you are interested in this!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Well, I guess I already committed, so I'd definitely be in so long as the rate was reasonable. Maybe they'd actually be able to do ASTL now.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I subbed to gomtv a bunch of years ago. Even dropped by the studio one time while I was visiting family in Korea. Passed jaedong in the hallway and got to talk with tasteless a bit afterwards since they came out to talk to people after the cast and we also took the same subway back for a bit.

I hardly follow sc now so not sure I'd maintain a sub atm, but I do hope it gets to continue in some form.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

WDIIA posted:

Any other tournaments work going back and watching or major drama/developments/happenings since early 2018?
https://www.youtube.com/user/IIjinjinnII/videos
Jinjin5000 subtitles a good number of Korean videos (from Flash and other pros) in English. He recently subtitled a whole number of videos from various (ex-)pros about stuff that happened a good time ago, including things like match-fixing, what it felt like to play against players like Flash, what it was like in the smaller teams, etc.

Definitely worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjiBqhcAc9s

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018

DTurtle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/IIjinjinnII/videos
Jinjin5000 subtitles a good number of Korean videos (from Flash and other pros) in English. He recently subtitled a whole number of videos from various (ex-)pros about stuff that happened a good time ago, including things like match-fixing, what it felt like to play against players like Flash, what it was like in the smaller teams, etc.

Definitely worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjiBqhcAc9s

Yeah, Jinjin puts out a quality product. Some really funny stuff on his channel.

I was watching the quarterfinals of ASL season 9 and marveling at the games between Larva and Queen/Zero. The scourge muta knife fights, especially the game on Neo Sylphid, were spectacular to watch. It reminds me of ZvZ in SC2 where there's this fluid, ferocious positioning between lings and banes. Nothing really to add, just enjoying the games and the casting.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljgIpHHlito
https://matcherino.com/tournaments/45116/overview#

Artosis is doing this tournament, time to get some money in the prize pool! (Code Ascension adds 50 cents btw, can also used without any extra money donated)

In other news: ASL update regarding Tasteless/Artosis coming soon apparently

anchorpunch fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 12, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I was listening to one of Tasteless' podcasts and I was taken aback that he plays Starcraft at it's original resolution in windowed mode, so it's just a little box on his monitor. I don't think I know anyone who's played a game like that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Does Tasteless stream? I imagine that's probably an ideal set up so you can watch your chat log and stuff.

Or maybe streamers do things completely different than that, I have never streamed so I don't really know :shrug:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aces High posted:

Does Tasteless stream? I imagine that's probably an ideal set up so you can watch your chat log and stuff.

Or maybe streamers do things completely different than that, I have never streamed so I don't really know :shrug:
Most streamers have 2-3 monitors.

Tasteless does stream. Not as frequently as artosis.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

OhFunny posted:

I was listening to one of Tasteless' podcasts and I was taken aback that he plays Starcraft at it's original resolution in windowed mode, so it's just a little box on his monitor. I don't think I know anyone who's played a game like that.

Rain plays on an incredibly shrunk down tiny window - I want to say it's 640x480 but in my memory it's much smaller than that. Takes up about 1/4 of his monitor. A lot of players and pros got used to playing in launchers that forced windowed, smaller screens and got used to the extra field of vision that offers them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is there a dedicated bw thread because it feels off topic to post random questions. I was playing a comp match on blue storm and my lurkers/hyrdas had so much trouble getting through the narrow chokes exiting the natural expansions that I eventually abandoned messing with it and just went all in with zerglings and even some of them kept getting stuck. Was that by design or was it just the pathfinding acting up again?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a dedicated bw thread because it feels off topic to post random questions. I was playing a comp match on blue storm and my lurkers/hyrdas had so much trouble getting through the narrow chokes exiting the natural expansions that I eventually abandoned messing with it and just went all in with zerglings and even some of them kept getting stuck. Was that by design or was it just the pathfinding acting up again?

Blue Storm is a pretty early competitive map but the choke sizing is by design to make squeezing bigger units through particularly hard. That said Lurkers are notoriously tough to squeeze through a choke in any number and Hydras are chonkier than they look in those situations. You don't see too many ultra-narrow chokes in modern maps but it's almost always a feature rather than a mistake unless you're looking at one of the original maps that came with the game.

Edit: that's not to say there aren't tons of errors and hidden bugs in modern competitive maps. There are tons of weird mapmaking glitches with really bizarre triggers that require a really thorough auditing process before they are ready for competitive play (and this process is often skipped so crazy poo poo can sometimes sneak its way into pro matches).

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 15, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's actually pretty helpful and also super entertaining so thanks.

I did not like that map!

I like benzene and eclipse a lot for the 2 spawns but im just playing through the ladder maps in rm before hopping online since I know most people online anymore are probably insanely good. I've probably played more sc in the last 2 months than I did in the decades combined before

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Artosis's foreigner Brood War tournament starts in 7 hours.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

people generally rally to the higher highground near your third on blue storm because otherwise all your large units will be dumbs and get stuck at the small choke.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there is a patreon for tastosis to commentate over asl vods that will then be uploaded to the asl channel. it's not a perfect solution but it's something at least.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there is a patreon for tastosis to commentate over asl vods that will then be uploaded to the asl channel. it's not a perfect solution but it's something at least.

Here's the link, for anyone interested: https://www.patreon.com/ASLenglish

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I never watched live anyway so this is ideal for me over not having it. Also watching ascension yesterday made me realize how bad no english ASL was going to be.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, subscribed to that, gotta make it happen...

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Awesome! If they'll also be able to cast ASTL and other korean tournaments because of this funding, then this whole situation might be blessing in disguise.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Cool ZvZ incoming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP46r8RAFIg

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
It'd be great if we got English ASTL out of this whole mess. I always thought it was a fun looking format.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

don't now if people are just waiting for Tastosis to release their vods but if people are jonesing for new ASL content https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkbs-ojM-c_SXsarGvYErcw/featured I found this channel a couple days ago and their commentary is pretty good. Some technical hiccups but I fear that is to be expected for the time being since there are no English casters at the tournament.

for group C the decider match between Action and Best was loving ace, too bad Action didn't pull through but that was still drat good playing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txIZyRiGZOA

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Oh man, that hit the spot. And the extremely unorthodox strategy was pretty fascinating in game 1. Seemed pretty slick production considering it's homemade now, really didn't seem to hurt it.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
yes, pretty good and worth the wait. I also watched some nyoken/scan casts though, these are also quite OK.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Day 2 went up yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvAzOkYX-CY

Outside of some sound work that could be a bit better the casts are pretty great. Day 2 also features better mic stuff than day1 so hopefully it continues to improve.

My favorite youtube comment points out that Tasteless should be on the other side of Artosis.

Day 2's games were pretty hit or miss. One protoss player had a really, really bad day the likes of which I haven't seen in an ASL and another zerg player had a bad day where his execution didn't hit the levels necessary for some of the things he tried to work at that level.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 17, 2021

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Khorne posted:

My favorite youtube comment points out that Tasteless should be on the other side of Artosis.

I like to imagine that since artosis only has one computer chair, tasteless is sitting on one of Dan's kids chairs while casting.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

Day 2 went up yesterday:

Outside of some sound work that could be a bit better the casts are pretty great. Day 2 also features better mic stuff than day1 so hopefully it continues to improve.

Day 2's games were pretty hit or miss. One protoss player had a really, really bad day the likes of which I haven't seen in an ASL and another zerg player had a bad day where his execution didn't hit the levels necessary for some of the things he tried to work at that level.

Looks like they hit their goal to cast the commercials? Does that mean they are translating them or wise cracking?

https://www.patreon.com/ASLenglish

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Khorne posted:

Day 2 went up yesterday:

I've watched all the groups so far. There's some solid games, but several of the groups had a player who just didn't quite seem at ASL level. I think group C was my favorite, but I'm probably going to try to watch the Tastosis casts to see what I missed when I watched the Korean casts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaSebm6AY8

e: drat that last match whipped rear end

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 19, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

e: drat that last match whipped rear end
A lot of good matches in this one.

action vs jyj was a great game, jyj vs best was a great game.

e: Just saw the last game. Yeah that was a really good game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 19, 2021

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Day 4 has arrived
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwMo5VSF_Nc

Really enjoyed the losers match in this group, lots of big plays and a bit of variety in composition/tech relative to the average TvT. I do still mishear sSak's name as "Sock" every time I hear it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMVNf5m0rc
Featuring a wonderfully specific counterbuild in game 3.