Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bamhand posted:

How big is one scoop of beans?

weigh whatever scoop you want to use. a good starting point is 17:1 water to coffee beans by weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

I have an Ozeri zk14, $14 on Amazon, I tested and it's accurate. Had it for about 2 3 years now.

Just want to say I'm very happy for forums search now. Of all the recs in this thread, this one is the right combination of short form-factor and price point, thanks for sharing it :)

e: right on the money so far!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 9, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

mediaphage posted:

weigh whatever scoop you want to use. a good starting point is 17:1 water to coffee beans by weight

2 tblspoons of coffee is ~ 10 grams. So, four scoops (of a standard coffee scoop, google it if you need) = 40 grams. 40* 17 = 680 grams = roughly 23.5 ounces of water.

If you want to hit the ratio exactly you need to add 1 more gram of coffee. So, three level scoops and 1 slightly heaped.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Murgos posted:

2 tblspoons of coffee is ~ 10 grams. So, four scoops (of a standard coffee scoop, google it if you need) = 40 grams. 40* 17 = 680 grams = roughly 23.5 ounces of water.

If you want to hit the ratio exactly you need to add 1 more gram of coffee. So, three level scoops and 1 slightly heaped.

ime scoops are often different though and "standard coffee scoop" doesn't necessarily mean that much. most people clearly do not care. i like repeatability though so i just take the ten seconds to weigh it out

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What grater do folks like for cheese and veggie grating? I've hated nearly every box grater I've ever used either because they're too small or uncomfortable to hold. I saw someone somewhere suggest a more coarse and wider microplane which seems like it might be the ticket?

IMO the coarse professional is the microplane to get. I had the handle crack on one of the plastic ones.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mediaphage posted:

ime scoops are often different though and "standard coffee scoop" doesn't necessarily mean that much. most people clearly do not care. i like repeatability though so i just take the ten seconds to weigh it out

Ehh I disagree, I don't think I've ever seen a purpose made coffee spoon/scoop that wasn't 2TBS. I think that's been pretty bog standard stuff for decades, all the way down to the plastic scoops you get in Folgers tubs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ehh I disagree, I don't think I've ever seen a purpose made coffee spoon/scoop that wasn't 2TBS. I think that's been pretty bog standard stuff for decades, all the way down to the plastic scoops you get in Folgers tubs.

ok

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My father in law turned me a handle for a coffee scoop. It is one of those cool Rockler kits like the measuring spoons and pens and stuff. This one is 1.5 tablespoons.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Looking at ranges, and essentially looks like in my price bracket (2-3k) there's a legitimate tradeoff of the higher end consumer models (the top end Samsung, Kitchenaid Pro, etc) and the mock-professional ones (Thor, Ilve, Hallman are the ones I've seen so far). The latter seem designed more to put into house flips, or for people whose kitchen is more decoration than anything.

Does anyone have experience with them? I really love the look of this Hallman here:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hallman...0BSMG/304183043

But, there's enough reviews about how finicky they are that it gives me pause. We cook several times a week so we can't buy a pretty paperweight, but we're also not "cook 21 times a week" people either.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Get a Bertazzoni, IMO

that center burner is gnarly looking though

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Someone in the Crapper Construction thread in HCH has a consumer reports subscription and will look up ratings for people. The thing I’d be most worried about with the “fancy rich people” brands like that is the cost of repair- the availability of replacement parts, or if there’s even a brand certified repair person in your area.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a Kitchenaid "commercial-style" range and I loving love it, fwiw. I have no idea why my landlord put Kitchenaid appliances in my cheap apartment, but I'm not complaining.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If I wanna do neapolitan pizza at home, will a baking steel and broiler in the oven do, or should I get a weber kettle pizza adapter

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

If I wanna do neapolitan pizza at home, will a baking steel and broiler in the oven do, or should I get a weber kettle pizza adapter

I've had great results with my baking steel and it's pretty versatile. Dunno what the other thing is for comparison though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I use quarry tile and broiler and it works like a charm, steel should be even better. Don't think you need the kettle adapter unless you really want to do pizza in the yard.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

there's some question as to whether you should be getting steel or aluminum at this point, if it matters, since the key metric is how much thermal energy you can dump into your dough.

what kind of timing are you looking to get to? how much do you want to spend? if you read the pizza thread you'll notice there are ovens out there that can really giv'er, but you'll need a 220V hookup for most of them. the breville pizzaiolo will work on 110V, but it's small.

with that said: i don't do neapolitan pizzas very often; i tend to stick to larger pizzas that are a little crisper on the bottom and fairly reasonably fully - though not absurdly - topped with sauce, cheese, and meat or veg or both. those sorts of pizzas i can get done in my oven in a max of five minutes (for i'm guessing maybe a 14-inch pizza?). i heat up a steel on the top rack and turn on the broiler when i put the pizza in. depending on your oven, you may be able to get the steel even hotter by heating it up beneath said broiler, too. it will vary from oven to oven.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In the Costco thread in gbs someone mentioned picking individual knives rather than getting a set. How do you get a knife block that fits random knives, or is there something you can do to make your own or something?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your search term is "universal knife block"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

But don't get a knife block, get a magnetic knife holder of some sort.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I have a magnetic knife block and it works great for an ad hoc set of knives. It has five rows and holds 10 knives with room for a couple more.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that sucks about the often cited CCK knife is that it will take up half a magnetic strip

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paul MaudDib posted:

In the Costco thread in gbs someone mentioned picking individual knives rather than getting a set. How do you get a knife block that fits random knives, or is there something you can do to make your own or something?

I used to have the universal knife block that had black spaghetti noodles in it. Eventually the noodles get slashed the hell up and fall out, bent or leave slivers on your knife.

I switched to this universal knife block from Eva Solo. New it’s overpriced but this guy is selling used for $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Danish-Des...vkAAOSwjIpgMSRb

What’s also neat is that if you want it to hold cleavers you can turn the inserts sideways

Zorak of Michigan posted:

But don't get a knife block, get a magnetic knife holder of some sort.

Get both

xtal posted:

One thing that sucks about the often cited CCK knife is that it will take up half a magnetic strip

Get a bigger magnetic bar

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 14, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Well gang, the time has finally come to replace the family microwave! Our current one is literally older than me, and while it still technically works, it’s not nearly as powerful as a modern-day unit and it doesn’t have a turntable. It still turns on, it still heats up our food (if slowly and unevenly), and to be quite honest I’m gonna be really sad to see it go... but I think it’s time to move on to a newer model.

What stand-alone microwaves do y’all like?

UPDATE: After getting no replies to this question here, I went to the General Questions thread and asked there, and they recommended a Panasonic inverter microwave. So I looked up some reviews and got a Panasonic NN-SN965S Inverter microwave...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-2-2-cu-ft-Countertop-Microwave-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Sensor-Cooking-NN-SN965S/206483737

... and it kicks all kinds of rear end, and after 3 months my dad can’t stop raving about it and how we should’ve bought one way sooner. Also it ISN’T made in the same factory as every other microwave brand on earth, I checked.

A million/10, would recommend, would buy again, Steve Yun put it in the OP.

(I do still kind of miss our old rear end Caloric Twin-Wave though, it had sentimental value to me and may have been a literal antique (apparently it was one of the first microwave models ever made) but dad loves the Panasonic so much that he gave the Twin-Wave to Goodwill)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sorry I didn’t see your question but yeah that Panasonic is what I’d recommend and I’m of half a mind to throw away my current microwave to get that

Edit: added to op

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 15, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i also didn’t see your question and panasonic inverter units are the only ones i will buy/recommend at the moment so good job

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey for those Panasonics, can I lower the wattage to 1000w? I think a lot of recipes that use a microwave assume a 1000w unit

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Hey for those Panasonics, can I lower the wattage to 1000w? I think a lot of recipes that use a microwave assume a 1000w unit

well you can enter in a power setting. is that going to be a 1:1 reduction in microwave energy in your food? only panasonic knows. presumably you’re aware but their whole inverter schtick is that the magnetron remains engaged the entire time rather than achieving power reduction by cycling on and off.

having said all of this i recommend trying things out first. i’ve had microwaves that cook very differently but are ostensibly the same rated wattage, whether that’s due to volume, interior finishing, or something else entirely.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hutla posted:

Someone in the Crapper Construction thread in HCH has a consumer reports subscription and will look up ratings for people. The thing I’d be most worried about with the “fancy rich people” brands like that is the cost of repair- the availability of replacement parts, or if there’s even a brand certified repair person in your area.

pretty much every public library has a free digital subscription to CR. Everyone should check and see what other free stuff your library offers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

maybe unpopular opinion here but i’ve never though much of cr ever since the time they recommended some lovely blender over the vitamix because of an insane test like a whole apple in or something

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They do weird data poo poo too. Especially with cars where they'll weigh an engine blowing the gently caress up equal to a lemon due to the entertainment console being hosed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh and also do not get the webber conversion. The most finicky thing in thr world and you have to dome all your pizzas after like 30 seconds.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Panasonic microwaves are great, if you have a new house with AFCIs instead of GFCIs you’ll need to buy a Tripplite (or similar) surge protector because the inverter angries up the AFCI.

I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000510Z9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_lVn2HQX3p8l8a

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Quart mason jars are showing up at stores again, but no sign of 2 quarts

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Getting ready to redo our whole kitchen as I'm tired of the odd collection of things we've put together, is there anything that should be replaced.in the OP?
Still looking at the stainless steel sets at Costco. Anyone know of any better deals then what is currently available at Costco vs BB&B?

Replacing literally everything from the Tupperware, to cook ware and all the utensils

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
When you put cast iron in the dishwasher, do you leave it all the way through or pull it before the drying cycle? I'm worried the heat will warp it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

When you put cast iron in the dishwasher, do you leave it all the way through or pull it before the drying cycle? I'm worried the heat will warp it

cast iron will usually break before it warps but

why are you putting it in the dishwasher

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's bait

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Just use the washer and dryer like an adult.

Throw some olive oil in the dryer too and you don't even have to oil it up after

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vim Fuego posted:

You're doing it backwards - the dishwasher goes in your cast iron pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I personally just set it out on the curb and scream for thirty seconds, then take it back in.