Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Your mom rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That's rad.

Also:

https://twitter.com/baltmatrix/status/1369315628818051077

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RV mode kind of sucks but bot mode whips rear end.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

RV mode kind of sucks but bot mode whips rear end.

I like that goofy battle platform, but, yeah.

Bot mode is rad af for real.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the look of the trailer, but I had hoped they could do more with the battle mode.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I’ll buy it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ten effect parts too, apparently. At least some of those are off the Sky Lynx/Omega Supreme molds.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
G2 Ramjet up for preorder on Pulse.

Rodimus looks pretty good!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Loving this. Preorder up on EntEarth.

EDIT: and Pulse

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 9, 2021

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Ramjet's OG colorway is good, imo eye-searing colorways are better

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
G2 Ramjet and Megatron really getting to that very specific nostalgia era I cannot possibly resist.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Good call out on Ollie's. I was able to get Earthrise Prime for me and a buddy (sorry, no extras) along with Double dealer for $20. They also had a TON of the little tiny ones, I didn't browse through them because the guy was stocking right next to them and I am afraid of talking to people.

Waterford location in Michigan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you go back and the tiny ones are the weaponizers with the blast effects then you can likely flip them to nerds who just want the blast effects. Those things are great and also super popular.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Arquinsiel posted:

If you go back and the tiny ones are the weaponizers with the blast effects then you can likely flip them to nerds who just want the blast effects. Those things are great and also super popular.

They were really small, like two on a card. Not sure what they were, but they had a billion of them.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
That Ramjet looks real good but I picked up Sandstorm recently so I'm good really. I don't really need all the seekers, my brain is broke in OTHER ways. That said, if he wasn't in scalpers Hell, I'd pick up Thrust cuz of his weird wings.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

They were really small, like two on a card. Not sure what they were, but they had a billion of them.
Sounds like the Micro Masters. They are less likely to make you bank flipping them, but they're the kind of thing I would grab loads of and tell myself I am going to repaint them someday.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Medullah posted:

Good call out on Ollie's. I was able to get Earthrise Prime for me and a buddy (sorry, no extras) along with Double dealer for $20. They also had a TON of the little tiny ones, I didn't browse through them because the guy was stocking right next to them and I am afraid of talking to people.

Waterford location in Michigan.

Thanks for the location check, because I had no clue they’re in Michigan. Might check a couple this weekend. I already have the Netflix Prime, but I’d pay $20 for the trailer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anil Dikshit posted:

I’ll buy it

Hell yes. I'm excited for a good Rodimus, finally.

Takara have had a few stabs now at incorporating a Hot Rod-esque car mode into the 'Bago, and the only time it hasn't looked kind of dorky (as in, more dorky than a flaming RV with side pipes and a sports car front is already), they engaged in blatant cheating with MP-09's fake everything. I'm starting to think the volume just isn't there to make that combination gracefully. Changing up the proportions on the car mode and still providing the camper shell is an ok compromise by me.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
What's the going price for the top gun plane?

I missed the drop apparently.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I had the opportunity to pre order a Kingdom Core class Starscream from Target today, but I kept it in my cart and didn’t expect it to go so fast.

I work at Target, so I prefer to get stuff there if I can, but the selection at the stores near me isn’t great.

Edit: Ok, they let me order one.

Space Robot fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 10, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vaporware posted:

What's the going price for the top gun plane?

I missed the drop apparently.

https://www.hlj.com/transformers-top-gun-maverick-tkt17419

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
As much as I love Amaxon JP, I don't feel like paying $25 shipping.
I thought the US release was last year, but it's still up on Hasbro Pulse for $50.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If any Transformer ever needed an OSKO (in better plastic)

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
And with a better paint job. Maverick is an astounding swing and a miss for what should have been a called shot home run.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I've had some time to fiddle with MP-51 Arcee, and I have to say. Takara did a great job overall.

Something about the way the figure is weighted makes her able to hold some good poses despite her tiny feet and no heel Spurs.

The backpack does an incredible job of folding into itself, like Sunstreaker's.

The faces are good, but I kind of wish they had included some different ones kind of like how MP-44 has those different animation style heads.

Her chest is fine in-hand, her proportions aren't terrible at all. Some of the issues people have with it come from the collar being a little prominent, which it is, and the butterfly joints in her shoulders needing to move. I'm sure someone will engineer a clip-on if people really need her to have high fake boobs.

But looking at the figure (and having it confirmed at the TF2005 boards) the flippable faction symbol on the hood of the car is the thing that gets in the way of her chest plate being higher when she's a car.

Did we really need a flippable faction symbol there? I'm happy with the figure, but I know the chest is a dealbreaker for some folks, who probably wouldn't have minded a faction symbol on her backpack.

Another interesting thing about this figure is that she has two waist joints. One is where her white midriff enters the grey belly area, and the second is where the pink upper torso enters the white midriff... the upper one is super tight on mine, I removed the screws to lessen the pressure there but it's still super tight... and glued shut from the factory. Still, I'm able to move it and give her a bit more waist rotation there. The lower joint feels like it's supposed to be limited and mostly used for side-to-side movement, but whatever is supposed to limit it doesn't work that well, and I can feel it go past that point. Doesn't seem to hurt the figure any, but it makes me a little nervous about possibly damaging it down the line.

Of the people who have it, how are your waist joints? Tight upper/loose lower?

Keldroc posted:

And with a better paint job. Maverick is an astounding swing and a miss for what should have been a called shot home run.

Yeah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Its weird to complain about a figure's chest and have it not be about how the designers were pervs

There being an extraneous gimmick that gets in the way makes sense. I'm not sure how they signed off on it otherwise

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Oh, hey, it does GERWALK. A bit awkwardly. GERWALKwardly.

From the Macrossworld forums, and they would know:

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

Oh, hey, it does GERWALK. A bit awkwardly. GERWALKwardly.

From the Macrossworld forums, and they would know:

I just don't understand that godawful paint job. Not only is it basically translucent soap plastic but then you splotch weird dirt all over it? Is it supposed to be, like, sand from playing volleyball?

Why not just color him grey like the real thing in the movie and use Maverick-themed insignia and stuff to add pops of color? Aesthetically it's just bizarre choice after bizarre choice. It'd be really nice to see them do a more screen accurate jet paint job version whenever the sequel finally comes out.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So is there an actual reason for why the plane robutts in Macross do that? Don't know anything about that comic/show.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lodin posted:

So is there an actual reason for why the plane robutts in Macross do that? Don't know anything about that comic/show.

Because it’s awesome

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I figured it was supposed to be representative of weathering/"maintenance paint". Look at the fuselage of this bird:

From what I understand, it's not uncommon for military aircraft to not only experience a buildup of grime in service, but anything that needs repainting gets a blob of paint in the spot where it needs it, rather than repainting the whole plane. This is particularly important for naval aircraft which spend most of their life soaking in the salty air. Over the life of the aircraft, you run into exactly the same problem that you do when touching up paint chips on cars - UV ages the paint, so even if the fresh paint is bang-on to the original application, it'll be a slightly different shade than what is currently on the plane. You end up with a subtly mottled appearance.

Unfortunately, due to the soapy, beigeish plastic that washes out the panel lines, and the beige tint to the tampo, it ends up looking more like a crappy attempt at desert digital camo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anil Dikshit posted:

Because it’s awesome

Basically yeah

According to the wikipedia article: Shoji Kawamori originally wanted to do a hero robot with chicken legs called GA-WALK; the show sponsors said "naw that's too dorky", so he forgot about it and did the VF-1; then a toy sample of the 1/55 VF-1 came from Takatoku with the legs unhooked and drooping down, and Kawamori realized that it could do GERWALK anyway, and wrote it into the show. In-universe, the justifications for it are "it gives you most of the mobility of robot mode and a good fraction of the speed/lift of plane mode". (This is bullshit, but then, so are giant robots that move as fast as people.)

The story of how the VF-1 became G1 Jetfire, and then the cartoon and comics gave him a completely different look (eliminating GERWALK in the process) is a whole nother story

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

I figured it was supposed to be representative of weathering/"maintenance paint". Look at the fuselage of this bird:

From what I understand, it's not uncommon for military aircraft to not only experience a buildup of grime in service, but anything that needs repainting gets a blob of paint in the spot where it needs it, rather than repainting the whole plane. This is particularly important for naval aircraft which spend most of their life soaking in the salty air. Over the life of the aircraft, you run into exactly the same problem that you do when touching up paint chips on cars - UV ages the paint, so even if the fresh paint is bang-on to the original application, it'll be a slightly different shade than what is currently on the plane. You end up with a subtly mottled appearance.

Unfortunately, due to the soapy, beigeish plastic that washes out the panel lines, and the beige tint to the tampo, it ends up looking more like a crappy attempt at desert digital camo.

If that's what they were going for they really blew past the "this isn't really working, we should try something else" point of no return with almost admirable speed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember the last time we talked about this, someone mentioned that since Maverick is licensed, Northrop Grumman would have had to sign off on the final appearance, and may have had input into how their (former) product was presented

Which is part of why I hope for an OSKO

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phy posted:

Basically yeah

According to the wikipedia article: Shoji Kawamori originally wanted to do a hero robot with chicken legs called GA-WALK; the show sponsors said "naw that's too dorky", so he forgot about it and did the VF-1; then a toy sample of the 1/55 VF-1 came from Takatoku with the legs unhooked and drooping down, and Kawamori realized that it could do GERWALK anyway, and wrote it into the show. In-universe, the justifications for it are "it gives you most of the mobility of robot mode and a good fraction of the speed/lift of plane mode". (This is bullshit, but then, so are giant robots that move as fast as people.)

The story of how the VF-1 became G1 Jetfire, and then the cartoon and comics gave him a completely different look (eliminating GERWALK in the process) is a whole nother story
Yeah, in the universe of the show it totally makes sense in the way that only works if you are willing to ignore all the real-world reasons that it's a terrible idea.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, in the universe of the show it totally makes sense in the way that only works if you are willing to ignore all the real-world reasons that it's a terrible idea.

Mecha anime in a nutshell, really.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I might've made a mistake. I got ahold of Kingdom Beast Megatron, and while playing around with him used his big ol' tail-claw to scritch both of my cats.

Dexter, as it turns out, really likes dinosaur-scritches, and keeps shoving him off my desk trying to get more. At this point, if I put him on a shelf, that shelf is going to be thoroughly catted. I'm going to end up getting another dinosaur Megs for the cat, ain't I?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

I might've made a mistake. I got ahold of Kingdom Beast Megatron, and while playing around with him used his big ol' tail-claw to scritch both of my cats.

Dexter, as it turns out, really likes dinosaur-scritches, and keeps shoving him off my desk trying to get more. At this point, if I put him on a shelf, that shelf is going to be thoroughly catted. I'm going to end up getting another dinosaur Megs for the cat, ain't I?

And posting a video.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Oooh gonna check out Ollie's in Sterling Heights/Utica today! And maybe stop at Portillo's if they're finally open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Technowolf posted:

And posting a video.

:hmmyes:

HiriseSoftware posted:

Oooh gonna check out Ollie's in Sterling Heights/Utica today! And maybe stop at Portillo's if they're finally open.

Portillo's is amazing. Get me a big beef and cheese.