Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

swedish just sounds annoying

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Swedish is [...] Like upper-class British English.

The second quote makes a poor case for Swedish and in fact complements the first quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Wtf danish beautiful... No, just no. Norwegian got a nice melody sure, but danish?!? Röööeee Röööeeee Röööeeee.

Sthlm dialect Swedish "rikssvenska" sounds annoying tho, that I can agree with.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's impossible to make heads or tails of Danish, they forget to say like 80% of the letters in their words.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Finlandsvensk is the winner.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Free Market Mambo posted:

Obviously.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

not a historical fact but a question: is it weird that I find norwegian and danish very beautiful languages but think swedish just sounds annoying? I objectively know they're similar but my lizard brain can't handle the swedish.

Wow congratulations on being an honorary dane

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

...my lizard brain can't handle the swedish.

Have you considered applying for a Finnish citizenship? You'd surely qualify.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This InterNordic slapfight reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kahnb3qnm0

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
sampo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Free Market Mambo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SrIggv_Jbo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ei saa peittää.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Scandinavians are just the cutest little frenemies. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fun Historical Fact: The last war Sweden fought was in 1814 when the cowardly swedes attacked the valiant norwegians in order to subjugate them for 91 years.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Fun Historical Fact: The last war Sweden fought was in 1814 when the cowardly swedes attacked the valiant norwegians in order to subjugate them for 91 years.

You mean when the valiant swedes liberated their brother norwegians from the yoke of the treacherous danes?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Sounds to me like Sweden's been undefeated for over 200 years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the danish rule in norway was benevolent, mutually beneficial, and necessary due to their somewhat lower stage of evolution :colbert:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Alhazred posted:

You know what you did and you had it coming :saddowns: You can't just go around shooting people with random old buttons, AND NO IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE STANDING STILL THAT'S A TECHNICALLITY

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Mar 8, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Carthag Tuek posted:

the danish rule in norway was benevolent, mutually beneficial, and necessary due to their somewhat lower stage of evolution :colbert:
:thunk:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Here we see the valiant swedes liberating their unarmed brother norwegians because they were participating in the annual celebration of the constitution of Norway:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Well, they had to do something after losing the entirety of Finland to Russia in 1809 because now they had nowhere to go to be pompous gits with a superiority complex.

This culminated to Ice Hockey World Championship and the Eurovision Song Contest being invented some ~120 years later.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Mar 8, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd joke about how Sweden + Finland looks like a dick and balls, but Norway and Denmark are also pretty phallic.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Here we see the valiant swedes liberating their unarmed brother norwegians because they were participating in the annual celebration of the constitution of Norway:

Seems rather unbrotherly of the norwegians to go have a constitution when there's a perfectly fine monarch in Stockholm.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd joke about how Sweden + Finland looks like a dick and balls, but Norway and Denmark are also pretty phallic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Denmark is the jizz that just got out, and Norway is that thing for which you really should go to a clinic to get a doctor to take a look at it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

The island German’s burden.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Historical fun fact: Sweden and Denmark has spent most of their existence trying to carve up northern Europe between them, and have been at war with each other some 20 times between 1205 and 1814 - more than any other two nations, including England and France.

Contemporary fun fact: Though Sweden likes to claim it's been at peace for 200 years, it's not quite technically correct. Yes, the last time we declared war was in 1814. But we've been at war in Afghanistan for the last dozen years or so. Sounds reasonable enough, right? There's swedish soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, of course they're at war! But, no.
See, for some reason Sweden decided to join in on the US Forever War back in 2002, and sent a handful of soldiers to Afghanistan. But up until 2009 or thereabout, those soldiers operated under peacetime law. So when a Swedish officer got killed in an ambush there was an honest-to-god murder investigation opened up by the police back in Sweden - because that's what the law said you had to do when a soldier is killed in peacetime. "He got killed in combat by the enemy, what the hell do you want the cops to do?" wasn't a valid response, since technically he hadn't been in combat since technically we weren't at war. Shortly thereafter, parliament decided that swedish soldiers in Afghanistan operated under wartime law.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

So when a Swedish officer got killed in an ambush there was an honest-to-god murder investigation opened up by the police back in Sweden - because that's what the law said you had to do when a soldier is killed in peacetime. "He got killed in combat by the enemy, what the hell do you want the cops to do?" wasn't a valid response, since technically he hadn't been in combat since technically we weren't at war. Shortly thereafter, parliament decided that swedish soldiers in Afghanistan operated under wartime law.

the best part was when they found out both the officers who died got friendly fire’d by their own machinegunner

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Understandable. From what I've seen, the left hand is not usually controlled by the same puppeteer as the right hand- thus leading such tragedy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

the best part was when they found out both the officers who died got friendly fire’d by their own machinegunner

Ah, the old "Charles XII". Time-honoured Swedish tradition.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

More than 2/3rds of the regiments in that campaign came from the eastern half of the country. They were your ancestors too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Better than the 'Adolph Fredrick' tradition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Actually the opposite is true.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Samovar posted:

Please tell me how a liberal monarch who ensured unbeforeseen civil liberties to his people, made snuff boxes as a hobby and died from liking partying a bit too much was a worse exemplary than the war-addicted patron saint of Swedish neo nazis who brought nothing but ruin to his people. :colbert:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
Death by semla beats death by button any day of the week.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Death by semla beats death by button any day of the week.

Please note that if you order a semla in Finland, they'll give you a fralla instead.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
For those not in the know, the Swedish king Charles XII spent his entire life fighting in places like Poland and Ukraine, and died in a trench outside a Norwegian castle, shot in the head by musket loaded with a coat button.

Adolph Frederick was a chill dude who "died in Stockholm on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a large meal, consisting of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, kippers and champagne, topped off with his favourite dessert: hetvägg, made of semla pastries served in bowls of hot milk" - 14 of them, to be exact.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Please note that if you order a semla in Finland, they'll give you a fralla instead.

Life in the lost territories is a dark and dismal struggle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

musket loaded with a coat button.

How do they know it wasn't just a fat guy sneezing or something?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There were no fat people in Norway until 1963.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There was a widespread belief at the time that kings were magically protected from death. The assassin stole a button from Charles's own coat; because it had been on his person, it could be used as a weapon against him.

Albrecht von Wallenstein, a general from a few decades earlier, was assassinated on a day that his horoscope predicted would be exceptionally unlucky for him. Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.