Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I get that they want biomass to be inconvenient, but the part where you need to get fuel manually seems like enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Rushing coal is totally doable, you just have to plan to rush coal and not fart around building extraneous stuff. A minimum ironworks to support rotors & reinforced plates, and 1 copper node producing wire & cable, 6 or 7 burners. Don't spend any time making biomass better or more convenient, accept that power will go out occasionally. Manually craft things with a weight on your spacebar.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I get that they want biomass to be inconvenient, but the part where you need to get fuel manually seems like enough.

Bioburners aren't what they are just to be annoying; they teach you about the power grid by showing you the failure modes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

Bioburners aren't what they are just to be annoying; they teach you about the power grid by showing you the failure modes.

That's fine but they should 100% have a belt input so they can be fed automatically. Every product in the game can be automated except that, which is just annoying. I'm fine with having to manually cut down trees (well, to a point) because it's not that much busywork but having a crate full of biomass and manually having to haul it to the power plant is Not Fun.

If they want players to understand what happens when you draw too much power they could tie it to the two free burners that you start with. Somehow gate the big burners behind it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

but that will happen when your fuel runs out, or you overbuild. Belting them just makes it easier to make a buffer. Players are still going to run out of fuel or get tired of having to manually gather leaves.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I figure it's more just to push people into coal power without outright forcing them. I explored enough that I ended up with a lot of carapaces and organs that my biofuel could have lasted a long time, but having to refuel them manually is what got me to finally start using coal just so I don't have to think about it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr Scumbag posted:

Starting a new prep world for the update.

It takes way, WAY too long to get to coal power. Every time I start a new world I have to force myself to keep playing until coal. There needs to be a way to fast track to it for experienced players. I get absolutely nothing out of running around chopping down trees and gathering bushes.

With Dyson Sphere being out now and showing how easy the game can be if you don't have to go through a bunch of bullshit biomass, I hope one day Coffee Stain rethinks the beginning of Satisfactory. There's nothing fun or knowledgeable at the start, just tedium.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Rather than hypothetically building a biofuel production line and having automated bioburners, you could just spend that same effort getting coal.

Like how many times are you guys restarting from scratch that you keep being annoyed by this, and why? If you've played through the space elevator unlocks before, you know how coal power works and where to get it. It takes 1 game session of 4-5 hours to get coal, 2 if you take it easy and do other early QOL stuff on the way. 10 hours at most, in a game which can easily consume 100s of hours. Rather than ask for automated bioburners, just stop spending so much time repeating the early game.

(If you really want a fresh game skipping bioburners, satisfactory-calculator can manipulate tech unlocks. Start your new game, save it, and press the unlock button on the first 3 tiers.)

edit:

Mayveena posted:

With Dyson Sphere being out now and showing how easy the game can be if you don't have to go through a bunch of bullshit biomass, I hope one day Coffee Stain rethinks the beginning of Satisfactory. There's nothing fun or knowledgeable at the start, just tedium.
Placing endless wind turbines or a belt of solar around the equator: not tedium.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 8, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's still bad design, no matter how rarely or how little time it takes. It should be changed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m pretty happy just sitting at whichever tier it is that unlocks fuel power (jetpack is great fun). I’m currently building a massive elevated train system and spending time constructing support towers even though I don’t need to.

One thing I messed up yet again was repurposing the pipes and other items I had feeding a motor factory and now I need a ton of motors for all the train stations, oops! It hurts less now that I have overclockable mk2 miners so I can just route more coal wherever and shift my power production to gas fueled when expanding.

I watched some dyson sphere project videos and it looks wayyyyyy too complex, so much poo poo going on!! I will try it but waiting for a sale.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Klyith posted:

Rather than hypothetically building a biofuel production line and having automated bioburners, you could just spend that same effort getting coal.

Like how many times are you guys restarting from scratch that you keep being annoyed by this, and why? If you've played through the space elevator unlocks before, you know how coal power works and where to get it. It takes 1 game session of 4-5 hours to get coal, 2 if you take it easy and do other early QOL stuff on the way. 10 hours at most, in a game which can easily consume 100s of hours. Rather than ask for automated bioburners, just stop spending so much time repeating the early game.

(If you really want a fresh game skipping bioburners, satisfactory-calculator can manipulate tech unlocks. Start your new game, save it, and press the unlock button on the first 3 tiers.)

edit:

Placing endless wind turbines or a belt of solar around the equator: not tedium.

It's just 5-10 hours of tedium guys!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You don't have to place a zillion solar panels in DSP to get to automated energy, not true of Satisfactory. There's no automated way to create and process biomass. If there was I would have no complaint.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh god picturing doggo ranches where you funnel them into constructors for “processing”

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

boxen posted:

I think the game still keeps track of falling objects, it doesn't just delete them once they reach some arbitrary altitude or whatever.

Actually since it's an UE4 game, it does do exactly that! It has a 'Z Kill Floor' built in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Klyith posted:

edit:

I played my own world, then a world with a friend, then another world with another friend, and I plan to start fresh with some other friends possibly after update 4 drops. I want to be careful not to rush people too hard, but biomass always just feels like annoying busywork. Sure I could just look up where the nearest coal deposit is and steamroll to it, but it sure doesn't feel like a natural way to progress.

It's fine if you think it's not worth the dev's time to fix, but I feel like it really shouldn't be hard to agree that the game would probably not be worse if you could belt biomass burners.

Also, aren't there some alt recipes or late game uses for biomass?

priznat posted:

Oh god picturing doggo ranches where you funnel them into constructors for “processing”
I kind of unironically kinda want to see a future update that does add alternate tech paths or something involving farms?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Peachfart posted:

It's just 5-10 hours of tedium guys!

Yes, 100% of that 5-10 hours is spent collecting biomass and feeding it into burners. :thunk:

Oxyclean posted:

I played my own world, then a world with a friend, then another world with another friend, and I plan to start fresh with some other friends possibly after update 4 drops. I want to be careful not to rush people too hard, but biomass always just feels like annoying busywork. Sure I could just look up where the nearest coal deposit is and steamroll to it, but it sure doesn't feel like a natural way to progress.
Ok yeah if you're repeatedly introing other people to the game that's a kinda unavoidable issue. Not rushing to tech up is the nice thing to do for them.

I don't really have a good answer for that, but I also think beltable burners alone also wouldn't solve some of the tedium issue you have. Like, you're also not going out and grabbing some early caterium to make blade runners either, right? So running around is slow and you have fewer inventory slots.

Oxyclean posted:

It's fine if you think it's not worth the dev's time to fix, but I feel like it really shouldn't be hard to agree that the game would probably not be worse if you could belt biomass burners.
It wouldn't be worse for you or me. It would be worse for some other people. Satisfactory is targeted to be relatively easy, for an, uh... "inclusive" audience. They want everybody to be able to play. Part of that targeting is tutorials that are tedious and boring for people that can learn things quickly. Tier 0 is boring, we tell people all the time to skip it if they ask ITT. Do I think tier 0 should be removed? Not at all.

An enforced period of non-beltable burners is good, because it teaches the player to pay attention to power and reinforces that lesson a couple times in a pretty unavoidable way. Teaching mechanics has to aim for the lowest common denominator. By making your power suck in the early game when it doesn't really matter if your power goes out, you will pay attention to fuel demand and power use later in the game when it totally does matter that you lost power.

By comparison, in the oil stage they did not teach mechanics effectively and it gave a portion of the audience problems. Oil introduced byproducts at the same time as complex fluid handling, and upped the challenge by not having an easy way to dispose of byproducts like heavy oil. I'm pretty sure their data showed a decent number of people hitting a wall with oil. It was easy to see some of that just on reddit, and those are the players who are connected and looking at the wiki / what other people are doing.

Thus, since they'd made a ramp that was too hard and couldn't really go add something earlier to be a training-wheels byproduct handling lesson, they had to lower the ramp. Now power plants always consume fuel at 100%, so you can turn waste heavy oil into fuel and dump it into generators to get rid of it. Totally a thing that's being done to carry people over the oil hump.

quote:

Also, aren't there some alt recipes or late game uses for biomass?
Those pretty much suck / are not worth the effort compared to turbofuel or other equivalents, and should probably just be removed.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m getting to the point where I want to switch to the Pure versions of base resources. Which I’m actually slightly bummed about because it seems like late game 90% of the buildings I’m making are refineries.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What’s a good method for distributing stuff around using trains? Multiple tracks that specialize or a big loop that just has trains split for different stations to keep resources separate?

I could see having a big station with 4-5 platforms in each biome and having different pickup/dropoffs depending on the local resources and refinement. It would let you keep the trains a reasonable length which I think affects their energy requirements, and set up “express” ones that skip over stations etc.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
It seems to be really pointless to go out of your way to defend the bad design of early game biomass lasting so long by blaming people for wanting to start new games occasionally. It's unnecessarily defensive of the developer for not adding something simple so that experienced players who will get absolutely nothing out of the early game can just skip it. It doesn't help anyone, just blames them for either "not playing correctly", "starting new games too often" or "not gitting gud". This kind of feedback is one of the reasons Early Access (when done in good faith) exists.

Klyith posted:

Part of that targeting is tutorials that are tedious and boring for people that can learn things quickly. Tier 0 is boring, we tell people all the time to skip it if they ask ITT. Do I think tier 0 should be removed? Not at all.

An enforced period of non-beltable burners is good, because it teaches the player to pay attention to power and reinforces that lesson a couple times in a pretty unavoidable way. Teaching mechanics has to aim for the lowest common denominator.

This doesn't apply to what is being discussed in this thread. We're not talking about people who are playing the game for the first time. Everyone in this thread criticizing the biomass part of the game is tired of it because it's purpose of teaching is completely irrelevant to them. It serves absolutely zero purpose to an experienced player and serves only to turn the beginning of the game into something tedious and not enjoyable.

They have a checkbox for skipping the tutorial on the "New Game" screen, indicating that they are just fine with experienced players skipping tedious parts of the game that they will learn nothing more from.

If you have a save that has reached coal, the game can easily enough detect it and add another checkbox below the "Skip Tutorial" that reads: "Skip Biomass and start with Coal Power technology".

Minimal work on the part of the developer in redesigning the start of the game and it gives the player more control over their experience and allows people to play how they like.

Edit: context

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 8, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Instead of skipping the content maybe create a way to make it entertaining or automatable as it's supposed to be a stepping stone for the entire game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

It seems to be really pointless to go out of your way to defend the bad design of early game biomass lasting so long by blaming people for wanting to start new games occasionally. It's unnecessarily defensive of the developer for not adding something simple so that experienced players who will get absolutely nothing out of the early game can just skip it. It doesn't help anyone, just blames them for either "not playing correctly", "starting new games too often" or "not gitting gud". This kind of feedback is one of the reasons Early Access (when done in good faith) exists.

This doesn't apply to what is being discussed in this thread. We're not talking about people who are playing the game for the first time. Everyone in this thread criticizing the biomass part of the game is tired of it because it's purpose of teaching is completely irrelevant to them. It serves absolutely zero purpose to an experienced player and serves only to turn the beginning of the game into something tedious and not enjoyable.

They have a checkbox for skipping the tutorial on the "New Game" screen, indicating that they are just fine with experienced players skipping tedious parts of the game that they will learn nothing more from.

If you have a save that has reached coal, the game can easily enough detect it and add another checkbox below the "Skip Tutorial" that reads: "Skip Biomass and start with Coal Power technology".

Minimal work on the part of the developer in redesigning the start of the game and it gives the player more control over their experience and allows people to play how they like.

Edit: context

It's like Factorio enabling blueprints once you've gotten the research where the bots can do the blueprint. Once that's been done, then you can start with blueprints. As it should be.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Except that coal is honestly a good step down the tech tree. You aren't going to make any true automation until you have it, and it's a good dozen steps down the line. Honestly, all the bitching about burners not having inputs rings hollow to me. I mean, I hear your complaint. I understand. I just think you're going to have to suck it up, we're tired of hearing about it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So apology for chopping up your post a bit, but there were a couple different things going on that I wanted separate out by category:

Mr Scumbag posted:

It seems to be really pointless to go out of your way to defend the bad design of early game biomass lasting so long by blaming people for wanting to start new games occasionally. It's unnecessarily defensive of the developer for not adding something simple so that experienced players who will get absolutely nothing out of the early game can just skip it.

I disagree that it is bad game design, but this is a matter of opinion. I think I have a decent reason (things that teach mechanics get a big plus on their side), that's all. I don't think everything in the game is perfect, but there are other things I'd poke before bioburners. I'm not outraged that opinions differ.

But also it just generally feels weird to call a pretty fundamental thing in all games "bad design". You start with something crap and then get something better. In minecraft you start with a wood pick, not a diamond pick. There's no option to start game with a full set of diamond equipment. Is this bad? I dunno. In minecraft it'd feel weird. The games that I think feel "right" with a new game+ are things like a Diablo or a Platinum game -- there are difficulty levels and you use NG+ to play the hard as balls level. Games that don't have a real "end" normally don't feel like they need a NG+. Maybe Satisfactory is the outlier.

This is less about being defensive on behalf of the dev, just kinda puzzled that people have such a strong hate for a thing that bothers me about as much as having to punch a tree in minecraft or start at level 1 in a rpg. Bioburners not having conveyor input is the thing that makes them worse than coal.

Mr Scumbag posted:

It doesn't help anyone, just blames them for either "not playing correctly", "starting new games too often" or "not gitting gud".

I'm normally about the furthest thing from a "not playing correctly" person as you can get. For one thing I love mods and modding, which are all about playing the game differently. I don't feel like providing info and the solutions I've found is telling other people how to play. But I guess my limit is this: if someone doesn't enjoy the way they're playing, and yet won't change what they're doing. Then yes, that is not playing correctly.

Given that, saying you can rush coal is telling you to treat the problem as a challenge and apply your knowledge for solutions. I did that when I started a new game, another experienced player can too. If that's a "git gud", welp, the game is kinda all about solving logistical challenges with efficient solutions. Um, maybe git gud at that. But if rushing coal is seriously not what you want to do, that's why I suggested using satisfactory-calculator (or mods) to change the game.

The "starting new games too often" was genuine bafflement, to which Oxyclean had an answer. For that situation I can only say, put your buddy in charge of restocking the burners and nudge them toward the closest coal when it's exploration time.

Mr Scumbag posted:

This kind of feedback is one of the reasons Early Access (when done in good faith) exists.
Yeah, but the devs aren't in here. They pay attention to reddit and twitter and their QA board, ITT we're just shootin the poo poo.

quote:

So that's a constructive idea, and I'd go one further: start at any tier that you've already fully unlocked all the milestones in. Have it be a dropdown! You should post that to their bug board or reddit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Refilling biomass burners isn't that tedious if you're using solid biomass as fuel since the stacks take so long to burn. Set up two containers to dump the unwanted wood and leaves you'll be gathering as part of ordinary gameplay, hook those up to separate constructors to produce biomass, merge the outputs to a single belt, have a third constructor turn the biomass to solid biomass and output it next to your array of 10 burners or whatever you have. The early game before coal shouldn't be requiring enough power that it's a major hassle to keep filling them up and it's only annoying if you have to keep going back to the bench to handcraft biomass yourself. I thought biomass burners were a pain the first time I played since I was filling them with leaves and wood directly which burn fast, on my second save the decision to automate solid biomass production has me thinking they're mostly fine as is.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The game tries to make you appreciate things ahead of getting them.

Craft benching iron starts getting obnoxious and there are your smelters and constructors. Manual movement between them gets annoying, now here are your belts. You're tired of your mess of machines and belts sitting in the dirt all misaligned.
Hey, have some foundations.

Manual fuel loading is in line with that.

Another thing biomass burners do is keep you from running off too far into the wilderness. You're pretty weak to anything that's not a hog, so it makes sense to give you a reason to explore, but not go too far. Go pick up sticks and leaves for your burners, and maybe find your first slug or two, but you're going to want to get back, empty your full inventory, process your biomass, and refill your burners. The game's not about the wide world, right now. This is where new players start learning a lot about factory building, beyond just pointing the ore hose at a line of machines. Biomass processing itself is a good intro to splitters and mergers. My first smart splitter application was having a single dumping container for wood, leaves, flowers, and alien guts. Once you're established in coal power, you're probably armed with a basher and rebar gun. You've got blade runners and the tractor available too. Now you're equipped to leave your production lines whirring away on that space elevator order, while you go hard drive hunting. It's reasonable soft content gating.

It's not even that long a phase, and I've never gotten how mad people get at this one thing in a game that has much bigger, more time-consuming, logistical hurdles down the line.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
I've just started a new world as well in preparation for update 4 and I totally get the annoyance around biomass. I've been focusing on exploring & getting all of the low-level alt recipes while I'm at tier 2 before I push on too far, so I'm enjoying chainsawing while exploring. Those northeastern dunes are a terrible place when it come to proximity to crash sites.

On another note: holy moly am I the only one who didn't know about using the spacebar to manually craft things? I've been holding down the mouse button like a chump this whole time!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Klyith posted:

I disagree that it is bad game design

It seems like you're going out of your way to ignore context when you point out that people are saying that biomass burners are just flatout "bad design". I (and others) are saying it's bad design when considering people who have already learned what that stage of the game is trying to teach. You're being forced through a lengthy onboarding process every time you start a new game. After your first playthrough, any value of that part of the game beyond general tiering up is lost or at at least, very minimal. This differs from other parts of the game because there is no way to automate this stage, and it lasts entirely too long. I think many vets of the game would likely tell you that it doesn't feel like it truly begins until you hit coal, because that is the point where it stops holding your hand and lets you fully automate. It's where you start to actually plan and execute long-term infrastructure. All people are saying is that there are ways around it without compromising its educational value. You could halve the length of that segment of the game and new people would be no worse off.

I had no problem with it the first time I played through, because it was new and I was looking forward to the eventual prospect of full automation, although I did feel it went on longer than it needed to. It already gets old as hell, the second time through.

Klyith posted:

In minecraft you start with a wood pick, not a diamond pick. There's no option to start game with a full set of diamond equipment. Is this bad? I dunno.

This is really dishonest, because no one is asking to be able to start the game with end-game gear or tech. People who have gone through the beginning of the game multiple times would like to be done with the lengthy tutorializing and be able to get to the meat of the game earlier (A part that is still very early in the game). I think that concept is easily separated from "People just want to start at endgame/creative mode". If you must make the comparison to Minecraft, this would equivalent to simply starting with a stone pick, so you can avoid having to punch a tree, build a workbench, make a wood pick, mine three blocks of stone, make a stone pick, and then turf the wood pick. It has value to a completely new player. For a returning player, it's pointless busywork. In Minecraft it takes an extra minute or two. In Satisfactory, it takes hours. It really doesn't need to.

Klyith posted:

But I guess my limit is this: if someone doesn't enjoy the way they're playing, and yet won't change what they're doing. Then yes, that is not playing correctly.

This isn't useful because it dismisses peoples' issues with the game before even attempting to examine the game itself. It excuses the game's mechanics and potential weaknesses or areas that could be improved (in many peoples' eyes) entirely while blaming the player for not changing the way they play, without even knowing if they have tried different things or what they've tried. So it seems like you're not really interested in what they're doing or not doing, just in avoiding criticism of the game. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but it's hard to interpret it any other way. It puts 100% of the responsibility on the player and none at all on the design of the game. So, yeah, I do think that is being defensive of the game - intentionally or not. It's essentially saying, "This is the way the game is, deal with it, and if you don't, you're playing incorrectly". Playing differently isn't going to solve a lot of problems. It's an opinion you're entitled to, but it offers nothing but the status quo and blames players for wondering if it could be better designed.

Klyith posted:

Given that, saying you can rush coal is telling you to treat the problem as a challenge and apply your knowledge for solutions.

I dislike the process of rushing in these games and really, any game. And still, that is a workaround that excuses the game's design and places all responsibility on the player to work around it. I've done it a few times and don't find it rewarding at all. I'd rather set up some biomass burners and let the game run in the background, checking in every now and then to restock them. Neither way is enjoyable for me and both feel like I'm having to work around the game, rather than with it. At no other point during progression does it feel this way, which is why I see it as a part that could use improvement.

It's not necessarily even having to manually collect or insert fuel that I have a problem with, it's having to do it for a length of time that I don't think even makes sense for brand new players, let alone someone who has played through the game several times. It's not just something I dislike - I find it outright excessive. I think either the requirements for T3-4 should be lessened significantly, or people should be given an optional way to automate fuel (as an unlockable or whatever). The former would be much more preferable. Or what I mentioned previously - a checkbox to start at T3-4 with coal unlocked. (Yes, I've made the suggestion to the devs.)

Klyith posted:

The "starting new games too often" was genuine bafflement

You're baffled that people restart games after not playing them for months? It's not unusual at all for people to want to start clean in games like this - especially after updates or having a new build idea, not to mention when you load up an old save and see a bunch of spaghetti and would rather start fresh. Then there are those of us who find it enjoyable to tier up again, rather than just scaling up our end-game designs. The game's pretty much two years old at this point, people players from the beginning have likely had several worlds at a bare minimum for no other reason than updates breaking stuff. I've seen plenty of even brand new people to Factorio/Satisfactory/DSP posting on forums that they have restarted their game after a fairly short time because they feel like they could get a better start with what they've learned. It happens all the time. In Satisfactory, it means having to redo biofuel, and there's no shortage of people who dislike that. I've played Factorio and DSP and neither have beginnings even close to that of Satisfactory, as far as I can remember.

How many times have you started new games? I guess if you don't really do that, then it's understandable that you don't have a problem with repeating the beginning of the game.

So in summary, I do think your arguments come off as unnecessarily defensive of the game and dismissive of peoples' issues with parts of it, whether or not that is your intention. At the end of the day, you can always end on "Well this is the game, and it's your responsibility to make it fun" (Which is only ever true of games up to a point) or "Take your ideas to the devs, this is just a discussion thread and they don't read it", but at that point, there's not much reason in discussion about things like this, I guess?

I get that you think it is fine, and I don't have a problem with that. You can continue to play it and enjoy it as-is, but for many others the pre-coal portion of Satisfactory is a really rough edge on an otherwise smooth and polished game. Enough that it has prevented me from getting back into the game more than a few times. I think it can be ironed out easily enough without compromising its value to new players. It goes for far longer than necessary. It's an "everyone wins" kind of thing which is why I don't understand the resistance from some people when it's brought up. If it's a part of the game that isn't a big deal, what's the harm in tweaking it a little?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've played Factorio and DSP and neither have beginnings even close to that of Satisfactory, as far as I can remember.

DSP upped the stakes and made the player a walking biomass burner.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'd support changing biomass burners to be beltable. Doing that would make the first two tiers more of a gradual ease-in to making your power ever less of a burden as your points of contact with the system reduce. To be clear here, the argument isn't for removing the need for manual biomass harvesting, it's only the part where you divvy up your harvest between 6-12 generators.

Trying out DSP made me realise just how important the biomass stage, and for that matter the burner phase in Factorio, really is. The big weakness I found in that game is that its tech tree offers very few extrinsic rewards. Almost every research is just for some new intermediary product that is made through the same gameplay as all the previous ones and very few of them are actual improvements to your quality of life (aside from incremental upgrades to your move speed and what have you). It's all about factory building for the sake of factory building, which is obviously the point of the game but has way less of a hook than the others in the genre that put something new to try out in most of their tech milestones.

The burner stage is part of that extrinsic reward system. Getting fully automated power becomes a goal to drive the direction of your early research, and a reward for getting through it - and that part is as relevant on your first game as on your fiftieth. It's not just about teaching new players to keep an eye on their power usage. But I don't think requiring you to individually baby each generator contributes to that purpose as much as it just contributes to the tedium. It punishes you for growing your factory in a way that the tech doesn't mitigate until it removes all your power concerns with coal. The need to manually gather fuel is also a punishment for growing your factory, but it's one that your tech gradually improves over the first two tiers, letting you eke out more power from your leaves and twigs with biofuel and letting you gather a lot more of it at once with a chainsaw. It's just punishing enough that removing that factor is a reward, but not so much that it feels unpleasant to play.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay time to think outside the box. You know the new extraction building, or rather set of buildings, they're introducing in update 4, the fracking-like thing with a "mother" building and some nodes around it. What if they added a building that could serve as a "mother" for a group of biomass burners, and was effectively a storage bin that could feed the burners with fuel. It wouldn't be belt feeding, and still shouldn't accept a belt input, but it would need less babying.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

People hate the biomass phase, so they try to do the minimum amount of biomass burners. Which makes them burn at the maximum rate.
What you really should do is build way more than you need and fill them all up.
You still use the same amount of fuel per minute, but you cut down the amount of times you need to go back and refill.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Wait, are you guys not turning your biomass into solid biofuel(or turning fuel into biomass before tier 2)? Is that what this is all about?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Refilling biomass burners isn't that tedious if you're using solid biomass as fuel since the stacks take so long to burn. Set up two containers to dump the unwanted wood and leaves you'll be gathering as part of ordinary gameplay, hook those up to separate constructors to produce biomass, merge the outputs to a single belt, have a third constructor turn the biomass to solid biomass and output it next to your array of 10 burners or whatever you have. The early game before coal shouldn't be requiring enough power that it's a major hassle to keep filling them up and it's only annoying if you have to keep going back to the bench to handcraft biomass yourself. I thought biomass burners were a pain the first time I played since I was filling them with leaves and wood directly which burn fast, on my second save the decision to automate solid biomass production has me thinking they're mostly fine as is.

This is super easy to do, and gives you mostly automatic power generation. Ok, so you have to manually move stacks of 200 solid biomass into each burner, but those take forever to burn, and its not like you have to go farm, unless you're in the dunes. You'll get enough biomass just clearing space for your factory. And it doesn't take "hours" to reach the point where you can mostly stop thinking about power. You get Solid Biofuel and the Chainsaw at tier 2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Won't biomass burners consume fuel at full speed in the next update? Or is that coal and up only?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

xzzy posted:

Won't biomass burners consume fuel at full speed in the next update? Or is that coal and up only?

I think biomass burners specifically are exempt from that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've played 40 hours of Satisfactory and I finally am deep enough into coal (29 coal generators) that I was able to delete all of my biomass burners because gently caress YOU

having to keep manually loading like ten biomass burners sucked dick. At least now if I have to add them back in, I have like....2 industrial containers full of Solid Biofuel I can grab.

my next goal is to make even more as I work on finishing T5. Even overclocking the assembler that's putting in work making versatile framework (12.5 per min), is going to be 3.34 hours per tier, for just that one item

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had a massive store of solid biofuel too that I refined into liquid and have an emergency biofuel generator setup if I mess up and overextend my power. Got 2 of the large industrial tanks stored up with a couple large storages full of solid biofuel feeding a refinery. As long as it has enough boost to overcome the initial poweron spike!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

After coal, solid biomass is for the excellent and super op Powersuit and Powersuit Modules mods.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've played 40 hours of Satisfactory and I finally am deep enough into coal (29 coal generators) that I was able to delete all of my biomass burners because gently caress YOU

having to keep manually loading like ten biomass burners sucked dick. At least now if I have to add them back in, I have like....2 industrial containers full of Solid Biofuel I can grab.

my next goal is to make even more as I work on finishing T5. Even overclocking the assembler that's putting in work making versatile framework (12.5 per min), is going to be 3.34 hours per tier, for just that one item

The second I get a coal plant set up (usually 6 plants, or as much as I can get off the coal node I find) I basically unhook my biomass or otherwise don't factor it into my power supply, because the effort of keeping it going is not worth it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if you have such power demands that you're outstripping an initial coal setup that fast that you need to keep biomass going until you have 29 coal, I have to wonder what you're doing. Like, I remember hitting oil with like 12-18 coal plants?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

When I hit oil in my multi-player game, I was up to like 40 coal plants, but I build big.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

The second I get a coal plant set up (usually 6 plants, or as much as I can get off the coal node I find) I basically unhook my biomass or otherwise don't factor it into my power supply, because the effort of keeping it going is not worth it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but if you have such power demands that you're outstripping an initial coal setup that fast that you need to keep biomass going until you have 29 coal, I have to wonder what you're doing. Like, I remember hitting oil with like 12-18 coal plants?

I wanna say I had 10 or 12 bio mass until I found coal, but then I set up my water/coal output wrong because I didn't understand what I was doing and kept running close to the wire, and then went back and fixed it, and once I had enough I could afford to "lose" the power output of the biomass, then I made more. I really hate brownouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Seems I'm about average, I built 3 coal plants in the SW near the lake to figure it out, then 9 more at the mushroom lake in the SE. Set up oil a little for plastic/rubber and ran some generators off the excess, but kept on running out of power. Finally built a big (for me) turbofuel setup in the NE desert. I'm expecting I'll have to tear chunks of that down and rebuild it after the new update, I haven't seen anything exactly but are they redoing turbofuel production? It shouldn't be incredibly bad unless they add new ingredients, the biggest hurdle was getting all the stuff to come in from where ever.