Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

totally, but sometimes I wanna go all in with the katsu, shrimp tempura, fukujinsuke on the side etc. that's a pain in the balls to do at home.

Yeah i usually go the easy route and cook some pork shoulder cubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm, should I make a standard gyudon or should I make beef katsu...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
beef tataki might be my favorite beef dish and is definitely the best way to stretch out a good filet

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'd like everyone to know that i'm having a nice time fighting the japanese (in Nioh 2)

then i died in a tornado

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just found out in Somnium Files that

Date is #89 and now I'm all :catstare: about the entire relationship he has with Iris

Man, this game lol

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kerrzhe posted:

i'd like everyone to know that i'm having a nice time fighting the japanese (in Nioh 2)

then i died in a tornado

rip Kerrzhe died as they lived

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
just finished up mega man x command mission. there's definitely a lot of cool ideas at play but they're brought down by the overbearing encounter rate and how doing anything interesting with the crafting system means grinding for rare drops to use as ingredients, for the special crafting currency, and for levels. for example, there is actually an accessory that lowers the encounter rate but crafting it requres a specific character be at level 30, and she finished the game at level 31 for me lol. fortunately there's another much easier to obtain accessory that guarantees running away

while many of the enemies are fairly lame, some do have interesting set-ups. there's a gigantic mettaur who hides in its helmet and runs away quickly, unless you steal its (relatively worthless) item which causes it to go berserk. some enemies made of silver and gold carry quite a lot of money but lose some of their luster each time you hit them. many classic mega man x enemies get a good translation to rpg mechanics, like the bee bomber you fight in x1's intro stage. and like every boss past the first few does something neat, especially the optional ones, though unfortunately it is the kind of rpg that requires a lot of foresight to be able to properly respond to those neat things. and then if you do battle the optional bosses you unlock super forms for x and zero, which are completely busted in a refreshing knights of the round kind of way

really the biggest bummer is that the OCs who join your party are all pretty cool, but they lose all relevance after zero and axl join back up with you to the point where they don't even show up in the ending cutscenes

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Date is #89 and now I'm all :catstare: about the entire relationship he has with Iris

Man, this game lol

Wait.

:)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

Man, this game lol

It owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, should I make a standard gyudon or should I make beef katsu...

This was a learning run, tested out some things that didn't work as well as I had hoped but I should be better equipped next time.

I tried doing a "baked katsu" technique that I read about online but it came out a bit uneven and the meat was a bit tougher than I would have liked. I think I'm just gonna have to accept that this will require dealing with a bunch of oil (not my favorite thing to do). I also used beef because this was a last minute swerve from gyudon and I think I am happier with the idea of chicken or pork katsu, I guess there's something ingrained in me that doesn't square with "breaded beef."

The tonkatsu sauce was easy and good though -- ketchup, worcestershire, and oyster sauce. Have a bit left over, might eat some fries with it or something lol

Edit: savory crepes with tonkatsu sauce and egg and scallions... thinking about entering Chinese "jian bing" territory now...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 9, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
so far the somnium files is astral chain meets psychonauts and monkey island

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That egg looks delicious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to eat all of that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

That egg looks delicious.

Soft-boiled eggs I've pretty much dialed in: use a thumbtack to poke a hole in the fat end, put them in rolling boiling water (might need to turn down the heat to prevent them from jostling too much) and wait exactly seven minutes, immediately take them out and shock them in an ice bath or just run them under the tap

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Soft-boiled eggs I've pretty much dialed in: use a thumbtack to poke a hole in the fat end, put them in rolling boiling water (might need to turn down the heat to prevent them from jostling too much) and wait exactly seven minutes, immediately take them out and shock them in an ice bath or just run them under the tap

*scribbling notes*

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Your post was the second piece of soft boiled egg adjacent content I ended up seeing today so I'm taking it as a sign I should start eating some pronto.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does the egg not kinda leak/cook out of the poked hole? I guess maybe the air pocket there prevents it? I tried making these for the first time this morn and they were good but I dropped the first egg into the pot and it cracked and ended up looking like an alien growth at the end. Tip from me is to use a spoon or something else to lower the egg into the pan.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jolo posted:

Does the egg not kinda leak/cook out of the poked hole? I guess maybe the air pocket there prevents it? I tried making these for the first time this morn and they were good but I dropped the first egg into the pot and it cracked and ended up looking like an alien growth at the end. Tip from me is to use a spoon or something else to lower the egg into the pan.

The egg is going to leak into boiling water tho which tends to turn eggs into a less leaky, more solid form of matter

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah you have to lower the egg gently into the water for sure. I have a small strainer that's just the size of an egg, but a spaghetti spoon or tongs could also work. Definitely make sure the water isn't super agitated because knocking around the egg could be a problem.

If the egg isn't being knocked around, I haven't had a problem with a pinhole in the fat end -- there's an air pocket there so it's less likely to leak, and putting it there actually relieves the pressure and makes the egg less likely to crack. The big thing is that I think it makes it a lot easier to peel the egg afterward.

Anyway this is what everyone is talking about in the new town, I guess I have my next "Request" queued up

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You want the hole in the egg so the air can expand or the egg might crack. Usually leakage is minimal.

Be advised that cooking time varies depending on location. A perfect soft Ramen egg here in Munich at an elevation of ~500 m above sea level only takes 5:30 min, at 7 it is almost hard boiled. You might have to experiement.

And here is a pro tip: Take it out, cool it down under running water and then carefully break the shell on all sides. Then put it back under the running water and pry the shell off. If you let water run between shell pieces and egg before lifting the pieces up fully, your chances of peeling a perfect egg without ripping off any egg white increase significantly.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Speaking of Dark Souls, I am super stoked to get home from work and continue on with the game!
I need to figure out how to reach a dragon without dying to flames and also keep exploring after Artorias! :D

I want to know, who do people think is the toughest boss in Dark Souls and have I beaten them yet?

I have (trying to remember without looking up) defeated:
Taurs Demon
Capra Demon
Centipede Demon
Butterfly
Iron Golem (with friends)
Ornstein and Smough (with friends)
Gargoyles
Hydra
Ceaseless Discharge
Queelag (with friends)
Sif
Gaping Dragon
Gravelord Nito
Sanctuary Guardian
All three asylum demons (asylum, second asylum and firey one)
Four Kings
The lady from the Painted world
Pinwheel
Seath
Bed of Chaos
and Artorias.

I remember doing orphan of Kos in bloodborne with friends for ages before the rest of the game and then proceeded to face mergo, gerhman and the moon prescence and Orphan of Kos was SO difficult that I was then bowled over by those three who I proceeded to beat all in a row first time.

I am wondering if I have already faced the toughest of Dark Souls :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk who the hardest dark souls boss is but it is definitely not pinwheel or ceaseless for sure.

I'd guess uninjured kalameet, but you're not meant to fight him then.

e: do you think you'll mess around with the daughters of ash mod at all? I've heard it does some pretty interesting things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGpKWwxbAE

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 9, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Idk who the hardest dark souls boss is but it is definitely not pinwheel or ceaseless for sure.

I'd guess uninjured kalameet, but you're not meant to fight him then.

I have no idea who that is! I will file away that for the upcoming discoveries :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
For me the hardest boss was artorias cuz I gave up trying to beat him and just went and finished the game instead

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
At least for me the DLC bosses were the hardest. Artorias, Kalameet, and Manus. Manus is a really cool looking fight, but he's just so stupidly fast and it feels out of place with the rest of the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I have no idea who that is! I will file away that for the upcoming discoveries :)

Here's a pic so you'll know him when you see him

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

For me the hardest boss was artorias cuz I gave up trying to beat him and just went and finished the game instead

I felt such a sense of accomplishment with working out a strat that then paid off and real joy at beating him :D

I guess Kalameet and Manus I have yet to find! Awesome. I bet one of them is in that weird pulsating head place.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I found Ornstein and Smough the hardest tbh, although Kalameet was also a problem until I got some help from a friendly golem.

In other DS news, looks like the Olympics are back on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZSHsOd3pSA&t=168s

Convex fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 9, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am also intrigued to play Dark Souls 2 and 3 because so many people say they either hate or love 2.
Someone was saying to me that everything about it just feels a few degrees off which I would like to experience quite a bit because that sounds interesting to me.

And I know that 3 came out after Bloodborne so I will get some faster Bloodborne combat in my fantasy world!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Played dark souls 2 last year and had a great time with it, mind you start to finish was about 3 weeks whereas with DS1 it was about 3 years

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Played dark souls 2 last year and had a great time with it, mind you start to finish was about 3 weeks whereas with DS1 it was about 3 years

I feel I am pretty close to finishing DS1 and the only reason it has taken a few months is because I did not set myself a schedule to sit down and play videogames I like. I was playing too many things all over the place and loving them all. I needed to focus. DS1 has taken me roughly 20 hours so far, which is fantastic. Normally I take forever to complete games. I need to work on my focus! :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But if you just play Dark Souls it means you won't be playing anything that isn't Dark Souls :thunkher:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

But if you just play Dark Souls it means you won't be playing anything that isn't Dark Souls :thunkher:

It is a win-win :) I finish the dark souls trilogy and finally can mouse over spoilers from threads from ages ago where people were having the time of their life :D plus I can finally understand things rather than being clueless all the time.

Knowledge is the true power in Dark Souls :hai:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VideoGames posted:

I feel I am pretty close to finishing DS1 and the only reason it has taken a few months is because I did not set myself a schedule to sit down and play videogames I like. I was playing too many things all over the place and loving them all. I needed to focus. DS1 has taken me roughly 20 hours so far, which is fantastic. Normally I take forever to complete games. I need to work on my focus! :3:

gently caress it dude, if you arn't in the mood you arn't in the mood. gently caress playing videogames to a schedule though, wouldn't work for me. Just play what you feel.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

gently caress it dude, if you arn't in the mood you arn't in the mood. gently caress playing videogames to a schedule though, wouldn't work for me. Just play what you feel.

Oh I am in the mood, that is the issue. I have not get enough versions of me to play all the games I want to play. I am but one person with one game at a time and I lose focus so easily between each game.

Having said to myself "Ok, tuesday, friday, sunday, play and beat the souls games" has been such a blessing. Actually giving myself structure has lead me to have so much fun and I actively look forward to playing. I have always struggle to maintain focus on things. I should have made a structured plan ages ago. It is a real wonder I actually get things done.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Thinking I should finally finish my ds3 run. Maybe actually go back and finish ds2 too.. ...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably a good time to play DS2 because apparently reddit is doing their yearly 'return to drangleic' thing right now so there's lots of people doing co-op and pvp

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

I said come in! posted:

Just realized that Spacebase Startopia comes out this month https://store.steampowered.com/app/840390/Spacebase_Startopia/ I am looking forward to this game.

Holy Cow thanks for this, I still play the original Startopia from time to time and I had no idea this existed, it looks and sounds identical to Startopia too! Did this ever get any press, when was it announced?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I want to know, who do people think is the toughest boss in Dark Souls and have I beaten them yet?

i have never beaten manus so i would say he is the hardest. hardest in the base game for me is o&s solo or with solaire, which is very intimidating and heart-pounding every single time. i have six ds1 save files on my switch and four of them are right before that boss fight. kalameet is also tough, but somehow the first time i fought him (ng+) i was completely “in the zone” and beat him on the first try. haven’t been able to do it since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Okay beat dragonslayer armour! :unsmith: