Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/banditelli/status/1369282872939479042

you know who actually likes Sinema quite a lot now? that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So does Joe biden begin killing migrants to satisfy the media and frothing at the mouth republicans?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/banditelli/status/1369282872939479042

you know who actually likes Sinema quite a lot now? that's right

for a republican to believe this is not so surprising when you recall that as another poster itt mentioned sinema seems hell bent on proving that every ridiculous stereotype republicans have about democrats is actually true

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

comedyblissoption posted:

drat lets rewind and see why pushing for medicare for all during a pandemic was a waste of time
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1337619814744006659

lol no minimum wage increase and she lost her seat on an important committee

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EmmaVigeland/status/1368961182955171848?s=19

Love it when Majority Report pushes Biden to the left

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

What does she do?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

weird how absolutely nobody mentioned this poverty solving thing until after the bill had already passed almost as if they pulled this talking point out of their rear end to try and deal with the bill sucking

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

"It wasn't enough but it is good" is completely accurate but everyone in the media that is saying that is underselling the "it wasn't enough" part and it's just tacking that on to look like A Good Progressive

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im going to have the same forehead vein pop when i hear "tax cuts" every time I hear "tax credits" so thanks for that dems

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How is it lifting that many people out of poverty? They keep repeating that line but a tax credit and a one time check isn't doing that so where is their math coming from?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

How is it lifting that many people out of poverty? They keep repeating that line but a tax credit and a one time check isn't doing that so where is their math coming from?

they're only lifting them out of poverty this year

yes, it is entirely a dog-and-pony show

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

wow can you shut the gently caress up?????? can you sit down??? this legislation is the most progressive piece of legislation ever legislated in the last 300 years???? shut the gently caress up??? idiot??????????????

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

maybe we can discuss making the credit permanent when there arent fascists running for Congress seats in 2022, kiddo, champ, chief!!!!!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Eggplant Squire posted:

iirc, the price for this lifting up out of poverty will be born by those same people in July. that is when congress needs to cut 1.9 trillion to pay for the stimulus.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Squire posted:

https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/2017/11/12/brown-bennet-child-allowance-cuts-child-poverty-by-44/

quote:

Senators Sherrod Brown and Michael Bennet released a child allowance proposal a few weeks ago. The relevant details are as follows:

Children between the ages of 0 and 5 will get $300 per month.
Children between the ages of 6 and 18 will get $250 per month.
Benefits will phase out at a rate of 5 percent for earnings over $75,000 for single taxpayers and $110,000 for married taxpayers.

To estimate the plan’s impact on poverty below, I used the 2016 Annual Social and Economic Supplement of the Current Population Survey as well as the 2016 Supplemental Poverty Measure research file.

Using those files, I assign to each person two incomes:

Without CA. This is their current family income as defined by the SPM’s income concept. So this is their income without the child allowance.

With CA. This is what their family income would have been had the Brown-Bennet child allowance been in place. To determine this income, I take the Without CA income, subtract the Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit, and then add back to each family’s income $3,600 for every child between the ages of 0 and 5 and $3,000 for every child between the ages of 6 and 18.

Poverty Levels

Based on this method, the Brown-Bennet child allowance would reduce the number of children in poverty from 12 million to 6.7 million, a decline of 44 percent.

This means that the child poverty rate would fall from 15.4 percent to 8.6 percent.
Income Levels

Looking only at poverty levels and rates understates the full impact of the child allowance idea because it only counts those who are moved over the poverty line by the change. This ignores those in deep poverty who would benefit greatly but not enough to get over the line. It also ignores those just above the poverty line who would also benefit greatly.

With this in mind, the below graph provides a more complete picture of what would happen to children in the bottom half of the income distribution. On the horizontal axis, you have each child income percentile from the 1st percentile to the 50th percentile. On the vertical axis, you have income as a percent of the poverty line.

As indicated already, the plan pulls children between the 8th percentile and the 16th percentile over the poverty line. But it also dramatically reduces the poverty gap for those below the 8th percentile and significantly improves the lives of many people above the 16th percentile.

Nearly 4 Million Adults Pulled Out Of Poverty

Finally, it is not just children who will benefit from the child allowance proposal. Adults who live with children will also see their economic plight improve. Just under 4 million adults (those aged 19 and over) will be moved over the poverty line by this plan.

In total, the plan would pull 9.3 million people out of poverty, 4 million adults and 5.3 million children.

Note that this article is from 2017, but as far as I know the broad strokes of the program made it into this relief bill.

The gigantic flaw with citing this coverage from Matt Bruenig, and with the liberal defense of the bill in general, is that it misses how this is a temporary program as passed in the relief bill.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

weird how absolutely nobody mentioned this poverty solving thing until after the bill had already passed almost as if they pulled this talking point out of their rear end to try and deal with the bill sucking
if trump gave more money than joe to more people than joe with less means testing, does that mean he "solved poverty" harder lmao

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Eggplant Squire posted:

They're using it as if it's a short-term statistic like unemployment, or at least that's how I'd justify it if I were called on it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1369286079417901058?s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol this should get blown the gently caress up in the media but probably won’t.

“government pays itself to stay home while forcing you to work and your kids to go to plague schools”

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

non-Washington Times source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adaman...sh=152844ce1223

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the math is coming from their usual means tested bullshit that only affects insert random number of people for this insert random limited time that might just toss them above their made up federally poverty line statistic. see we solved the issue we eliminated poverty

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was always going to be a large piece of legislation because that poo poo is all tied up in the national budget.

Anyway...

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1369247862215876609

lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majority Report cares more about making some internet nobody who was mean to AOC 'accountable' than they do about Biden pissing in all our faces and telling us it's just rain

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Majority Report cares more about making some internet nobody who was mean to AOC 'accountable' than they do about Biden pissing in all our faces and telling us it's just rain

Actually, no one cares about Jimmy Dore: a thread

1/8836617893

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Excelzior posted:

they're only lifting them out of poverty this year

yes, it is entirely a dog-and-pony show

so basically they’ve set themselves up for a billion gop ads of them all slapping their backs over ending poverty just as everyone they helped backslides into it

lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

something tells me that voting for everything put in front of you by the party leadership no matter what isnt "leverage"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

What does she do?

she believes in us

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

people keep saying “well I assume they’ll make this tax credit permanent at some point” because democrat support relies on the possibility that they’ll do something unambiguously good in the future, someday, if those meanie trumpublicans let them. of course these good things seem to disappear mirage-like every time we get close to the “right time” to do them

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so basically they’ve set themselves up for a billion gop ads of them all slapping their backs over ending poverty just as everyone they helped backslides into it

lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DKYML2MRs

also lol donald trump's youtube account is still up???

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

misadventurous posted:

people keep saying “well I assume they’ll make this tax credit permanent at some point” because democrat support relies on the possibility that they’ll do something unambiguously good in the future, someday, if those meanie trumpublicans let them. of course these good things seem to disappear mirage-like every time we get close to the “right time” to do them
let us conveniently ignore they could do it right now lmao

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Lmao millions will be given an amount over the arbitrary line we say means you are impoverished. No don't look into this closer, the headline is right there, read that!

Cromulent_Chill has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Mar 9, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

1/8836617893

welcome to hour three of 'I scream increasingly more passionately about how little I care about Jimmy Dore and about how my objection to this M4A push is entirely divorced from my feelings about him', in this hour I'll shout over a black lady asking me about the M4A issue because she said 'Jimmy Dore' so now this is about him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Lmao millions will be given an amount over the arbitrary line we say means you are impoverished. No don't look into this closer, the healine is right there, read that!

also the arbitrary line has no bearing to reality

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

misadventurous posted:

People fail to realize that politicians don't get elected by being rational geniuses, they get there by being manipulative sociopaths. The reason for this is no one wants to admit they were duped.

Of COURSE the dems are going to keep it dangling in the air, that way they can keep making hay about it every goddamn election cycle

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also the arbitrary line has no bearing to reality

uh it's called the 'poverty line', they couldn't just LIE about that.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Lib and let die posted:

1/8836617893

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

sexpig by night posted:

welcome to hour three of 'I scream increasingly more passionately about how little I care about Jimmy Dore and about how my objection to this M4A push is entirely divorced from my feelings about him', in this hour I'll shout over a black lady asking me about the M4A issue because she said 'Jimmy Dore' so now this is about him.

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

all these people owe a year of rent that the dems seem to ignore and kick down the line by extending the eviction halt that chud states seem to ignore.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

sexpig by night posted:

as a goth communist, I have no issues with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was always going to be a large piece of legislation because that poo poo is all tied up in the national budget.

Anyway...

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1369247862215876609

lol

They are scared to use their power and that is a problem.