Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

repiv posted:

Surviving Mars next week

This must be a repeat as I already have it on EGS and I certainly would not have bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gromit posted:

This must be a repeat as I already have it on EGS and I certainly would not have bought it.

Yeah, they've had a few repeats. Haven't had a repeat two weeks in a row ever so I think it's fine.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Even with a few repeats now and then I'm up to 130 games free off the Epic store over the last couple of years. I haven't brought a single thing from the store. One day I will get around to installing and checking out more than 5 off the list... :haw:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've never wanted to have kids but I'm really starting to feel pressure to pass this video game inheritance along to the next generation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Nobody cares but I don't want to work so you get a list.

Of the 43 free games I've gotten off the EGS, I've played and completed: GTA V, Battlefront 2, and Death Coming, Inside and Tacoma.

Started but didn't finish: Rage 2, Cave Story (replay), Dandara, Night in the Woods, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Crying Suns, Watch Dogs 2

More than I would've expected, actually.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I take the free ones, but I've made a sort of unofficial promise to myself to not ever actually pay money for anything on the Epic store. I'm not sure exactly why, but in large part it is due to the fact that anything there I can get either on GOG, which is my preference, or Steam if I must. I suppose that Epic just doesn't give me a reason to buy from them over other online storefronts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I bought Super Meat Boy Forever there and it rocks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I played Troy: Total War. Kinda made me interested in going back and playing real TW games.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I take the free ones, but I've made a sort of unofficial promise to myself to not ever actually pay money for anything on the Epic store. I'm not sure exactly why, but in large part it is due to the fact that anything there I can get either on GOG, which is my preference, or Steam if I must. I suppose that Epic just doesn't give me a reason to buy from them over other online storefronts.

Unleashing fortnite on the world is enough justification for me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t get the hate for epic. They give developers more money and their sales are pretty decent compared to Steam nowadays.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t get the hate for epic. They give developers more money and their sales are pretty decent compared to Steam nowadays.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I finally broke and bought Hitman 3 because those games are my crack.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I bought one game on Epic, Borderlands 3, because I had a bunch of friends that wanted to play and it was exclusive for a year.

After the drive I had Epic installed on died, the app wouldn't let me reinstall it to a different drive. I had to download Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it from the nonexistent drive Epic couldn't discern wasn't there anymore.

I've also seen other people on here post problems with games they have on both Steam and Epic. Instances in which uninstalling the Epic version of the game deleted all of the files related to the Steam version of the game, including the Steam version's save files. Most games these days have cloud saves, so you're likely okay, but it's just another stupid problem that no other storefront/gaming frontend has.

The fact that there is still not a cart, and you have to purchase every title and piece of DLC individually boggles my mind. I don't understand how that wasn't a day one priority. How the hell did they get cloud saves into their service before a shopping cart.

Individually, none of these problems are dealbreakers, but when combined and placed against the fact that I already have most of my gaming library on Steam, Epic provides zero incentive for me to ever move away from what I'm already using. I understand a lot of their business model is probably just getting the Fortnite playerbase to buy more stuff, but they're clearly spending a ton of money on exclusives/free giveaways in order to get Steam, GOG, etc. users to switch. Most of the people on here talk about getting all the free games and never spending actual money, I'd be curious to know what percentage of people with Epic accounts have bought a full-priced game. With the shopping cart thing, even the act of claiming a free game sometimes reminds me of why I don't use Epic. To me it feels like the free/exclusive game thing only works alongside a strong focus on bringing the app's feature-set up to par with everything else on the market.

Edit: For actual content, Royal Defense is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2035331/movie480.webm?t=1447364695

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 5, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

FanaticalMilk posted:

I bought one game on Epic, Borderlands 3, because I had a bunch of friends that wanted to play and it was exclusive for a year.

After the drive I had Epic installed on died, the app wouldn't let me reinstall it to a different drive. I had to download Revo Uninstaller to uninstall it from the nonexistent drive Epic couldn't discern wasn't there anymore.

I've also seen other people on here post problems with games they have on both Steam and Epic. Instances in which uninstalling the Epic version of the game deleted all of the files related to the Steam version of the game, including the Steam version's save files. Most games these days have cloud saves, so you're likely okay, but it's just another stupid problem that no other storefront/gaming frontend has.

The fact that there is still not a cart, and you have to purchase every title and piece of DLC individually boggles my mind. I don't understand how that wasn't a day one priority. How the hell did they get cloud saves into their service before a shopping cart.

Individually, none of these problems are dealbreakers, but when combined and placed against the fact that I already have most of my gaming library on Steam, Epic provides zero incentive for me to ever move away from what I'm already using. I understand a lot of their business model is probably just getting the Fortnite playerbase to buy more stuff, but they're clearly spending a ton of money on exclusives/free giveaways in order to get Steam, GOG, etc. users to switch. Most of the people on here talk about getting all the free games and never spending actual money, I'd be curious to know what percentage of people with Epic accounts have bought a full-priced game. With the shopping cart thing, even the act of claiming a free game sometimes reminds me of why I don't use Epic. To me it feels like the free/exclusive game thing only works alongside a strong focus on bringing the app's feature-set up to par with everything else on the market.

Similar for me. I like GOG because of Galaxy, their no-DRM stance and their efforts to make older games functional. I only buy on Steam if GOG doesn't offer it, but I won't get into that. I see nothing that Epic offers that would entice me, and on top of that I had difficulty getting it to even run on both Win7 and Win10. That is not a mark to me of quality software.

Captain Monkey posted:

I finally broke and bought Hitman 3 because those games are my crack.

No judgement here. I am personally so far behind on my Hitman games that it would be silly for me to do so.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FanaticalMilk posted:

Most of the people on here talk about getting all the free games and never spending actual money, I'd be curious to know what percentage of people with Epic accounts have bought a full-priced game.

It's this. Besides the dumb no shopping cart issue Epic is just terrible as a commerce platform. The one time I tried to buy a game the payment just refused to process and failed with "Unknown error try again later". According to the EGS thread I got lucky because often when that happens apparently you sometimes still get charged (occasionally multiple times!) but no game. Buying games in loving uPlay was less of a pain in the rear end.

Steam has a great platform, GoG has older games you can't find elsewhere and no DRM, Origin has EA Play, the Microsoft Store has GamePass, but Epic doesn't have anything to offer other than using timed exclusivity to force you to use an inferior system and that really bugs me.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 5, 2021

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There's nothing wrong with EGS. It's not special, the main reason to buy stuff there is the timed exclusive games like that goon above me pointed out. Other than that, it works fine. Click on game, it launches game. Click on game you don't have, it let's you buy that game. I don't get the hatred (not just itt, like, everywhere on the internet) :shrug:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Philman posted:

the jingoistic chat is all part of the charm.

Yeah you have to go in with a mindset of just playing the game, or trolling the chat. All of these free to play pvp war games have toxic chat environments, just extract your fun from both the chat and the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's this. Besides the dumb no shopping cart issue Epic is just terrible as a commerce platform. The one time I tried to buy a game the payment just refused to process and failed with "Unknown error try again later". According to the EGS thread I got lucky because often when that happens apparently you sometimes still get charged (occasionally multiple times!) but no game. Buying games in loving uPlay was less of a pain in the rear end.

Steam has a great platform, GoG has older games you can't find elsewhere and no DRM, Origin has EA Play, the Microsoft Store has GamePass, but Epic doesn't have anything to offer other than using timed exclusivity to force you to use an inferior system and that really bugs me.

This is very well said. I just 'bought' Wargame and the three free DLC on offer yesterday, and I had to effectuate four transactions to do that. Combined with the fact that I had to box clever to get Epic to run on two different OSs and other things that people have brought up, there's nothing to recommend it as a platform. Uplay is another platform where I have never payed for a game, and I was recently trying to buy my few Origin games elsewhere until I realised most of them require starting Origin regardless, so that was money wasted. I will say that the basic EA Play subscription is a good value service, though.

Nintendo has a similar problem with no loving virtual shopping bag, but they get away with it due to the fact that they monopolise so many good franchises. It's still stupid, but a company can get away with a lot by forcing artificial exclusivity on people. Epic has no such monopoly.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I think a lot of the epic hate is due to some idiots on reddit fabricating conspiracy theories out of whole cloth about epic and the client when it was new. People then internalized the hate without checking the claims to see if they were legitimate and now here we are, with a lot of people that hate epic without knowing why. I actually looked into the claims at the time and they were 95% bullshit.

That said it's still super dumb that they still don't have a shopping cart.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just already have a lot of games on Steam and didn't want to change bc I am old, until an exclusive I cared about came out and I didn't want to wait a year.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ZombieApostate posted:

I think a lot of the epic hate is due to some idiots on reddit fabricating conspiracy theories out of whole cloth about epic and the client when it was new. People then internalized the hate without checking the claims to see if they were legitimate and now here we are, with a lot of people that hate epic without knowing why. I actually looked into the claims at the time and they were 95% bullshit.

Reddit in particular really really wants Gabe Newell to have an absolute monopoly over PC gaming, giving Gabe Newell money is pro-consumer and the more money you give him the more pro-consumer it is

It's not just an Epic thing, there's a general hostility towards most games that aren't on Steam in my experience. League, Valorant and COD are huge but only negative coverage gets any play on /r/pcgaming

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 5, 2021

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

repiv posted:

Reddit in particular really really wants Gabe Newell to have an absolute monopoly over PC gaming, giving Gabe Newell money is pro-consumer and the more money you give him the more pro-consumer it is

It's not just an Epic thing, there's a general hostility towards most games that aren't on Steam in my experience. League, Valorant and COD are huge but only negative coverage gets any play on /r/pcgaming

I knew game nerds generally had a weird hardon for gaben, but the rest is news to me. I don't actually read reddit, but sometimes it spills out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ZombieApostate posted:

We aren't allowed to talk about that in this thread
:can:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ZombieApostate posted:

No, see, Epic is owned by the Chinese state and every time you buy a fortnite skin you're directly funding genocide and if you buy more than 3 you immediately become a pinko commie fa--

I think Epic are playing the long game by bringing the kids on board through Fortnite and getting them invested with a huge library of free games, they're not really aiming to steal Steam's existing customers. We might see the balance of power shift over the next decade or two as Steam users gradually age out and zoomers start developing disposable income (if they ever get the opportunity). As for the hate, maybe some people have massive egos and are annoyed that Epic doesn't necessarily want them. A sociopathic superiority complex would fit pretty well with the MO behind all the Epic conspiracy theories, anyway.

e; Yeah sorry this thread isn't the place for this poo poo but I really wanted to make fun of gamers without having to venture into the Epic Games Thread cesspit

treat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 5, 2021

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is it reasonable to think Tim Sweeney is such an rear end in a top hat that I don't want to give him even a single penny, to the point of avoiding other games made in Unreal Engine?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A good poster posted:

Is it reasonable to think Tim Sweeney is such an rear end in a top hat that I don't want to give him even a single penny, to the point of avoiding other games made in Unreal Engine?

sure, but that should probably extend to boycotting all the other storefronts run by assholes instead of forgiving cdprojektred or valve or w/e because you were established on them before EGS came out

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

FanaticalMilk posted:

lol, and i was rubbing my two brain cells together last night trying to figure out how the gently caress i couldn't find the "add to" button for all that Wargame dlc. Nope, five separate transactions required. wtf.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

treat posted:

e; Yeah sorry this thread isn't the place for this poo poo but I really wanted to make fun of gamers without having to venture into the Epic Games Thread cesspit
weirdly enough in the storefront thread people are generally able to talk about this without jumping down each others' throats, but history has proven time and again that folks in this thread can't resist that impulse. if you just want to get a few jokes in that's a pretty good place to do it.

if you want to be a zealot about your corporate flavor of choice it'll probably be a bad time but that's rightfully true of the entirety of the forum.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Paid platform-exclusives are anti-customer. Trying to normalize 'less than 30% cut for platforms' but they're being such dicks about it I am disinclined to use their service. Their attempts to grow market share by attacking their competition, fraudulent press efforts and questionable legal challenges instead of providing superior services and value is just so gross.

Ugh I don't even like thinking about them.

On the subject of free games: Oona and the druid's path is free on steam. Appears to be a project by a Spanish game dev college, or similar? Has some excellent art styling, and is a non-violent nature themed platformer. Currently alpha but worth looking at.

E:

Trickyblackjack posted:

Everyone shut up forever about EGS please. You have another thread to post your screeds.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 6, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Everyone shut up forever about EGS please. You have another thread to post your screeds.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Stop arguing about terrible storefronts like Epic and Steam and have another code for the best, least sketchy gaming platform around: FREEGAME503160 [reddit thread link]

And, uh, don't forget to make sure that "sign me up for the Big Fish Club" is unchecked and you shouldn't have to enter payment info...

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The next Indiegala Freebie is Trainpunk Run:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256710876/movie480.webm?t=1521498079

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
:siren:Giveaway! First come, first serve!:siren:
Steam keys, via humble bundle.
Wildfire
Control
Please post here if you take it.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 9, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Took Control, thank you.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Gun Jam posted:

:siren:Giveaway! First come, first serve!:siren:
Steam keys, via humble bundle.
Wildfire
Please post here if you take it.

Grabbed this, thanks very much!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tell Me Why on Steam has updated to a Life is Strange model where the 1st episode is free, and you can purchase the rest of the game for $20 MSRP:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180660/Tell_Me_Why/

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 9, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

how does the game roll out? life is strange turned me off really hard after about the third episode or so when it became obvious that they had written themselves into a corner.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Way to Go! is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2037625/movie480.webm?t=1447370260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Coolguye posted:

how does the game roll out? life is strange turned me off really hard after about the third episode or so when it became obvious that they had written themselves into a corner.

Did you have the whole story figured out at that point? Genuinely asking, as I was surprised by LiS to the end, but that is nothing new for me, I don’t even know the end of my sentences sometimes. I can’t comment on how this game develops, but the first chapter might give you an idea if it’s for you or not at least.