Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah, Toney has a very Jarvis Landry feel to me in terms of draft value going into March of their respective draft classes.

I like reading that write up on Chase and Pitts, as well as Waddle and Harris. All potential need fitting dolphin picks, with prospects within reach that are simply dominant.

Chase and Parsons, Pitts and Waddle, Pitts and Collins + future pick.

These are what I write on my trapper keeper in hearts, in-between meetings

Edit oh drat didn’t even see Bateman didn’t even make the first round. I was hoping to read the opinions on him.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I still hope somehow Miami takes Pitts at 3, but it's probably Chase.

And I can't be mad about that when all I read is glowing reviews of his game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I still hope somehow Miami takes Pitts at 3

Cosigned.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. It does feel a great situation to be in. Any of the likely trade down scenarios there will be a high quality player at a position of need, and Chase at 3 is fine.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You want Sewell, right?

I don't think there is any chance we take him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Seems like everyone is coalescing around Zach Wilson being the clear cut #2 QB in the draft and has him separating from the Fields/Lance tier. Not that this is really that dramatic shift from where we were in December, but I'm always wary of draft reappraisals that happen well after football is done being played. Feels like the late risers and fallers always end up being mistakes.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If the Eagles draft Pitts, I will scream

We have Goedert and absolutely no field stretch we can sign Ertz if we want why would we limit our offense forever no Pitts

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

You want Sewell, right?

I don't think there is any chance we take him.

My absolute best case scenario is they address offensive line in free agency so thoroughly that they have the ability to select Chase at number 5. Realistically though that's not going to happen and if that's the case my next best scenario is Sewell + 2 FA/day two guys.

I'm leery on counting on Sewell to step in and start right away for a couple reasons. Most of the stuff I've read on him doesn't say he's already a finished product and the last time we had a first-round pick play all year without injury was 2012. If Chase misses time it's a much lesser hardship, but he would make our wr room unfair..

My nightmare scenario is they miss on all their guys in free agency, select some c tier free agents and then reach on Slater when Sewell gets picked by Atlanta or New York. If they're going to draft an offensive lineman other than Sewell in the first there are 2-3 dudes that will be there 11 or 12. I'd say just make sure you stay ahead of San Diego.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

fsif posted:

Seems like everyone is coalescing around Zach Wilson being the clear cut #2 QB in the draft and has him separating from the Fields/Lance tier. Not that this is really that dramatic shift from where we were in December, but I'm always wary of draft reappraisals that happen well after football is done being played. Feels like the late risers and fallers always end up being mistakes.

If Miami needed a QB, I'd be ecstatic that teams were overlooking Fields. If Atlanta or Philly overlooks him they should be fired on the spot.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah Fields is drat good. If Miami was to get offered a first for Tua... I’d think long and hard about that move. I still think Tua is a strong prospect and can become the guy Miami needs him to be but when you look at guys who can potential be that franchise. Phew.

But nah, you gotta trade down into that 6-8 range

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

fsif posted:

I kinda don't get it either. Wilson is very talented, but it's sort of insane to pretend he's somehow got a better track record than either, considering he had one incredible year against a pillow fight schedule while Lance put up an all-time FCS season as a freshman with the same kind of disparity and more raw talent and Fields probably breaks a couple OSU records with 2 seasons of work if he gets a full 12 games this year. Call me crazy, but I'm more suspicious of the guy who got to run an air raid on easy mode than the other two, usually when we see air raid style QBs bust it's generally because the system inflated their time to react, not their physical abilities :shrug:

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 9, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I know. I love Fields as a prospect

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ASAPRockySituation posted:

We have Goedert and absolutely no field stretch we can sign Ertz if we want why would we limit our offense forever no Pitts

If they do this just lift the entire city of Philadelphia up with giant rocket boosters and slam it back to earth upside down.

Drop it on Dallas to ensure that the universe remains balanced.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pitts averaged 17.9 yards per reception in 2020

for comparison's sake Devonta Smith averaged 15.9 yards per reception in 2020

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Pitts is probably the only tight end prospect I feel can play outside. Let him run downfield routes like Darren Waller, skying over corners with ease.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If the Pats end up with DaVonta Smith I'll be extremely happy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pitts is a WR, my dude

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

What if Jerry Rice unretired and the freaking Patriots signed him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

What if Jerry Rice unretired and the freaking Patriots signed him

He'd probably still make about 40 or 50 catches

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pitts is a WR, my dude

Why

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Falcons should trade down for whatever team will give them a small fortune for Fields and fix their poo poo rear end defense since they still have a top-10ish QB who will play well for the next 2-3 seasons and the other QBs in the division are in their 40s or are Teddy Bridgewater. Please don't probate me for this post.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only folks calling Pitts a wide receiver anytime soon is the dude himself and his agent in 5 years when it's the difference of like 8 million dollars per.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

re: Pitts as a WR

these are the only stats I could find.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-profile-florida-tight-end-kyle-pitts

quote:

Some 36% of Pitts' snaps in 2020 were lined up outside of an in-line position. That’s encouraging in this world of pass-happy offenses and shows that he can win from real wide receiver alignments — not just as a tight end.

No idea how the rest of his snaps break down.

I think "Pitts is a WR" is like half a meme and half truth. "Pitts is super versatile" is the more accurate statement.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think Aaron Hernandez’s agent tried to argue he was more of a WR than a TE during his contract negotiations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Aaron Hernandez’s agent tried to argue he was more of a WR than a TE during his contract negotiations.

Jimmy Graham argued that he should be tagged as a WR. He lost though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If he runs like a WR and catches like a WR, he's a WR regardless if he does from an inline posistion

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ehud posted:

re: Pitts as a WR

these are the only stats I could find.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-profile-florida-tight-end-kyle-pitts

No idea how the rest of his snaps break down.

I think "Pitts is a WR" is like half a meme and half truth. "Pitts is super versatile" is the more accurate statement.

I think he'll struggle to separate against NFL outside corners. That probably won't matter much because of Pitts height advantage and great hands. Unless he's going up against Jalen Ramsey or something, in which case play him a bit more inside. It's really hard to see how Pitts fails but the last TE I thought that about was OJ Howard recently seen losing snaps to the long dead corpse of Rob Gronkowski.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think he'll struggle to separate against NFL outside corners. That probably won't matter much because of Pitts height advantage and great hands. Unless he's going up against Jalen Ramsey or something, in which case play him a bit more inside. It's really hard to see how Pitts fails but the last TE I thought that about was OJ Howard recently seen losing snaps to the long dead corpse of Rob Gronkowski.

It didn't help that he tore his achilles in the 4th game. He has underwhelmed though as he was thought to be a can't miss TE.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

wandler20 posted:

It didn't help that he tore his achilles in the 4th game. He has underwhelmed though as he was thought to be a can't miss TE.

Huh, I'd thought his injury was close to mid season. Still not a great stat line but far better over 4 games than over 8.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

If he runs like a WR and catches like a WR, he's a WR regardless if he does from an inline posistion

I don't think Pitts is that fast that he can run those deep post/corner/go routes better than other X/Z receivers out there. Not that he's slow, just that he's not blistering fast enough that playing him inside is unthinkable. Stats back it up but every time I watch Pitts he seems to only be lining up outside in the redzone. Trask also kinda sucks so there's that. Either way the stand out stuff is how he finds soft zone coverage and wins pretty much every jump ball. That to me spells TE and is super valuable to the level of having a premier Z receiver. Just use him like Kelce. Have him line up in the slot or tight formations and use his alright to decent blocking in spot situations where you need it. Bingo bango, huge threat off the line that opens up all sorts of routes for your other WRs.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ehud posted:

Pitts averaged 17.9 yards per reception in 2020

for comparison's sake Devonta Smith averaged 15.9 yards per reception in 2020

Pitts (6'6", 240)
2019: 79 targets, 54 receptions, 649 yards, 13 games
2020: 67 targets, 43 receptions, 770 yards, 8 games

Compared to Chase (6'1, 200):
2018: 36 targets, 23 receptions, 313 yards, 10 games
2019: 126 targets (!!!), 84 receptions, 1780 yards (!!!!!), 14 games
2020: sit out

Compared to D Smith (6'1, 175):
2018: 59 targets, 42 receptions, 693 yards, 13 games
2019: 91 targets, 68 receptions, 1256 yards, 13 games
2020: 147 targets (O_O), 117 receptions, 1856 yards, 13 games

I get your argument, but I also see a ton more volume for the other two guys. Also apparently the biggest knock on Pitts is that if he has to get physical he loses that fight 100% of the time.

He's tall and had a very productive half season and yes, he is a local kid (from philly), but he doesn't have the sample size or apparently the strength/willingness to use his size to win a contested catch and that doesn't make him a #1 to me. He'd also be coming into a fairly bad QB and WR group situation if we draft him provided we do not manage to get Golladay. You're a gators fan and I will tell you right now I haven't watched him at all - why am I wrong about that?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So one thing about Pitts. The draft podcast Ross Tucker puts out pointed out that the high school Pitts went to pretty much does not ever pass the ball. Pitts only really has two years and change of actual experience as a receiver. It's fair to say his ceiling for contested catches Is potentially much higher than he's already demonstrated.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Doltos posted:

I don't think Pitts is that fast that he can run those deep post/corner/go routes better than other X/Z receivers out there. Not that he's slow, just that he's not blistering fast enough that playing him inside is unthinkable. Stats back it up but every time I watch Pitts he seems to only be lining up outside in the redzone. Trask also kinda sucks so there's that. Either way the stand out stuff is how he finds soft zone coverage and wins pretty much every jump ball. That to me spells TE and is super valuable to the level of having a premier Z receiver. Just use him like Kelce. Have him line up in the slot or tight formations and use his alright to decent blocking in spot situations where you need it. Bingo bango, huge threat off the line that opens up all sorts of routes for your other WRs.

OK, sure, you're not gonna routinely line up Pitts on the boundary. But you said it yourself, the stuff he can do offensively is like a premiere Z WR. If Pitts can be a 1b type weapon in an offense, that's fucntionally a WR in my book, regardless of where he actually lines up

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pitts (6'6", 240)
2019: 79 targets, 54 receptions, 649 yards, 13 games
2020: 67 targets, 43 receptions, 770 yards, 8 games

Compared to Chase (6'1, 200):
2018: 36 targets, 23 receptions, 313 yards, 10 games
2019: 126 targets (!!!), 84 receptions, 1780 yards (!!!!!), 14 games
2020: sit out

Compared to D Smith (6'1, 175):
2018: 59 targets, 42 receptions, 693 yards, 13 games
2019: 91 targets, 68 receptions, 1256 yards, 13 games
2020: 147 targets (O_O), 117 receptions, 1856 yards, 13 games

I get your argument, but I also see a ton more volume for the other two guys. Also apparently the biggest knock on Pitts is that if he has to get physical he loses that fight 100% of the time.

He's tall and had a very productive half season and yes, he is a local kid (from philly), but he doesn't have the sample size or apparently the strength/willingness to use his size to win a contested catch and that doesn't make him a #1 to me. He'd also be coming into a fairly bad QB and WR group situation if we draft him provided we do not manage to get Golladay. You're a gators fan and I will tell you right now I haven't watched him at all - why am I wrong about that?

I'm legit now wondering if you're confusing Pitts with somebody else. He is very good at hand fighting, making contested catches, etc.

Or maybe you heard/read some bad analysis, but that is definitely not the book on Pitts:

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1366861950622322694?s=20

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1367934623880216580?s=20

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1368733157953003525?s=20

Regarding sample size, it was a shortened season (SEC games only) and he took this hit that caused him to miss 2.5 games.

https://twitter.com/sportsinjuryMD/status/1325197249018814464?s=20

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OK, sure, you're not gonna routinely line up Pitts on the boundary. But you said it yourself, the stuff he can do offensively is like a premiere Z WR. If Pitts can be a 1b type weapon in an offense, that's fucntionally a WR in my book, regardless of where he actually lines up

I get what you're saying then and essentially yeah it depends on where you're at on the field for when and where you use Pitts.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

What? Why?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s based on his receiving load and his credibility as a deep threat; you can have him in packages as a substitute for a wideout without affecting what plays you need to call

i don’t necessarily agree but i can see the logic

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ehud posted:

Regarding sample size, it was a shortened season (SEC games only) and he took this hit that caused him to miss 2.5 games.

https://twitter.com/sportsinjuryMD/status/1325197249018814464?s=20

georgia played dirty as poo poo last year

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

georgia played dirty as poo poo last year

yeah it owned

if you aint hurtin people you aint playin hard enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://theathletic.com/2438148/2021/03/10/2021-nfl-draft-scouts-size-up-top-prospects-on-offense/

Lying season so take this with a grain of salt. Though it's hard to imagine why anyone would blow smoke about Lawrence since he's guaranteed to go #1 regardless.