Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

There's one spot where lightning braziers and carrying a torch will actually benefit you.

if it's the area i'm thinking of, guess who didn't realize those were braziers until the very end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, how could you forget about Norman's area?

ive forgotten most areas of ds2, looking at steam I don't even own it. Wonder if I played it on a console or something. i remember the opening place with the funny hippo guys, the place where the fire babe and blacksmith hung out, some weird redneck village, and iirc their version of the swamps had the spitting poison statues and honestly you spent most of that zone in the rafters or something weird. hmm, wait was their swamp the one with annoying elevators you'd die on sometimes? was this the one where a skelington head flies at you for a spook? or am i remembering 3 and blurring them together

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Khanstant posted:

iirc their version of the swamps had the spitting poison statues and honestly you spent most of that zone in the rafters or something weird. hmm, wait was their swamp the one with annoying elevators you'd die on sometimes? was this the one where a skelington head flies at you for a spook? or am i remembering 3 and blurring them together
That could describe two different areas. Did you jump in a well to get to the rafter place?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Should I get Curse of the Dead Gods or Dragon Quest 11S?

The former is 18 bucks and the latter is 31

I already know I love Dragon Quest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can think of exactly one place where a torch is useful, it makes a boss easier but the place where you use the torch doesn't look like a brazier at all so I never found it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if you love dragon quest then I imagine you'll love 11, since it's exactly the same thing again

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
CotDG is more Hades-inspired, so that depends on how much you like that game, while DQ11 is just plain a good Dragon Quest game. I think the S version even has the 2D nostalgia mode that replaces everything with sprite-based graphics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

That could describe two different areas. Did you jump in a well to get to the rafter place?

I def went down a well at some point. Okay, here's my guess: The haunted house was in DS2. The spitting statues were in both, but DS2 had you creep in the rafters, whereas DS3 it was just an annoying as poo poo cave with poison statues and like some graboids or something that were easy once you learned em but still a nuisance

mostly it sounds like my memory has turned to ash enough i could replay either

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Khanstant posted:

You've hollowed. Condolences.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dark souls 2 definitely had all the poison spitting statues and the tar pits with the tentacle goopers or whatever. i loved that part honestly. it looked super crazy and i had like 2 or 3 summoned npcs with me and we were just barreling through while i continually popped lifegems due to constantly being poisoned

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

CotDG is more Hades-inspired, so that depends on how much you like that game, while DQ11 is just plain a good Dragon Quest game. I think the S version even has the 2D nostalgia mode that replaces everything with sprite-based graphics.

I really love roguelikes, the game I've played most in my life by probably a longshot is Nethack. I doubt it would be an exaggeration to say I've played thousands of hours of NetHack!

I might just get both lol but I think Curse is the primary option here since I don't have a Switch :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I def went down a well at some point. Okay, here's my guess: The haunted house was in DS2. The spitting statues were in both, but DS2 had you creep in the rafters, whereas DS3 it was just an annoying as poo poo cave with poison statues and like some graboids or something that were easy once you learned em but still a nuisance

DS2 had three different poison areas, all equally annoying. If you're thinking the well place, it's basically DS2 blight-town, and from there you went even farther down to the spitting statue place. DS3 has one big swamp and second very tiny one full of those big, fat maggot-looking things that you are probably remembering there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Quest 11s is on both Xbox and PC game pass so if budget is an issue for a dollar you could be playing it.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the gutter and black gulch both own

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

haveblue posted:

I can think of exactly one place where a torch is useful, it makes a boss easier but the place where you use the torch doesn't look like a brazier at all so I never found it

I assume you mean lighting the windmill on fire to remove poison?

There's actually another boss where a torch is useful too. You can light the braziers on the sides of the Lost Sinner arena to make her weaker too.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 9, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

There's actually another boss where a torch is useful too. You can light the braziers on the sides of the Lost Sinner arena to make him weaker too.

that's a lady

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

Dragon Quest 11s is on both Xbox and PC game pass so if budget is an issue for a dollar you could be playing it.

Unfortunately my laptop is still in Ireland and while budget isn't a huge issue, I don't have "buy an extra laptop" money :)

At least I didn't have to pay for my American phone (which always autocorrects everything to the American spelling of stuff lol) so I can still shitpost and play Magic Arena, which let's be honest is all I was using my laptop for anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't recommend Dragon Quest XI S highly enough, it's just a fantastic game, extremely comfortable, great characters, just a real good time all around. If you already know you love Dragon Quest, you're going to have a great time.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I can't recommend Dragon Quest XI S highly enough, it's just a fantastic game, extremely comfortable, great characters, just a real good time all around. If you already know you love Dragon Quest, you're going to have a great time.

Is the entire game playable in 2D? That sounds so hecking cool I just might try it

(I ended up just getting them both, came out to $60 for both which is definitely in my budget as long as I don't drink wine every night)

((Look, when you live in hotels, wine and video games are about the best options lol))

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baller Time posted:

Looks like we might see what Starfield is on Thursday. Gamebryo lives on!

This just in...its more todd trash

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whole game is playable in 2d. Its also like, 50% faster or more in 2d mode so if you want to savor the game don't use that first time through?

You can actually replay any chapter in the other graphic mode if you want to go back later and the huge side content area is in 2d mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Is the entire game playable in 2D? That sounds so hecking cool I just might try it

(I ended up just getting them both, came out to $60 for both which is definitely in my budget as long as I don't drink wine every night)

((Look, when you live in hotels, wine and video games are about the best options lol))

It is, yes. I preferred 3D mode but there's nothing at all stopping you from playing the whole game in 2D mode.

One difference is that 2D mode and 3D mode handle turn order differently in combat. In 3D mode, you enter commands for each character as their turn comes up each round. In 2D mode, you enter commands for the whole team at once, then the round plays out, which is how pre-XI Dragon Quest games did it (IIRC). That makes 3D mode slightly easier, if only because it's easier to know exactly when you need to heal, but it's not a huge difference.

You can also see enemies on the map in 3D mode, while 2D mode has normal random encounters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh also there's no voice acting in 2D mode, and as a result, 3D mode might be worth it just so you can hear Sylvando's beautiful voice

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I vaguely remember that if you let the AI control your party members in 2D mode it cheats in your favor while it input reads what the enemy will do.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think it's a serious waste to play it in 2d, it feels like a complete afterthought, which is what it was originally in the 3ds version as a fun little bonus

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dark Souls 2 has a lot of places that look like you should be able to explore them and then you either don't or they're much much smaller

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

I think it's a serious waste to play it in 2d, it feels like a complete afterthought, which is what it was originally in the 3ds version as a fun little bonus

Ahhhh that's a shame :(

I'll probably just swap back and forth for the novelty factor

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can’t wait to climb up to the top of Heide’s tower of flame

Oh nvm ok yeah the unexceptional basement is just as good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Ahhhh that's a shame :(

I'll probably just swap back and forth for the novelty factor

If nothing else, the side content in Tockington is always in 2D mode, so even if you play most of the game 3D, there's a good built-in excuse to enjoy 2D mode sometimes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

This just in...its more todd trash

I hope so

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So far trying to get help has just made me feel way worse. Like it's all pushing me in the wrong direction.

I got a phone appointment for mid May, earliest opening they had.

Sorry, I don't know if I should be sharing this here, I just felt miserable.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i did several therapy sessions a few months ago but i didn't really get much out of it because deep down i think i could solve all my problems just by not being such a loving loser and i didn't really envision any conclusion to the therapy other than being told that

May 8, 2006

feel free to share as much as you like in this thread imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

feel free to share as much as you like in this thread imo

:hai:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

So far trying to get help has just made me feel way worse. Like it's all pushing me in the wrong direction.

Feel free to PM me, seriously. I'm a therapist.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I also support people sharing in this thread and you can PM or discord me (doogles#2517) but I am not a therapist I’m just a regular idiot

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i've heard good things about Skandha's new counselling app, "Eliza"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This thread is for warching and listening

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weedle posted:

i did several therapy sessions a few months ago but i didn't really get much out of it because deep down i think i could solve all my problems just by not being such a loving loser and i didn't really envision any conclusion to the therapy other than being told that

being a winner isn't all its cracked up to be. a very important man once warned we would be tired of so much winning and you know folks he was onto something i gotta tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rinkles posted:

Accessing support is hard cause no one has the resources to meet demand and waiting for appointments feels like being in limbo. I know it's tough, it's also much better to have started the process than not

Weedle posted:

That's rough :( When you're in a depression everything gets so filtered and it's so hard seeing other possible perspectives :sympathy: