Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I guess spoilered because in Rule of Rose it's pretty ambiguous as to whether there was an actual dog to begin with, and even if he is a real, physical pup, you couldn't be too sure he died either way just going off of the dreamlike nature of the game itself.

Very good dog game. Bad actual game, 1/Haunting Ground out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

wtf. Rule of rose is great.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree here mainly because the whole game is already presented up til that point as a misery fest of child abuse so when that is first introduced my thought was basically just "oh they would pull this kind of horse piss wouldn't they."

Admittedly maybe that had a much different effect on me because of how closely a lot of that actually hits to my personal life so it just felt very manipulative on top of something already way too close to home.
I honestly agree on the grounds that I really, reeeeaaaalllly hated the game at first until I realized where the game was going, and it was the same way with Devotion until I realized it was just way too much like a lot of parents I knew.

Like, You're Grounded isn't a masterpiece by any means but whoever made it knew their source material and has probably had some experience in the bad dad department.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

wtf. Rule of rose is great.
Most definitely in need of a remaster. Like Deadly Premonition, if you take out the combat it's almost perfect.

Although selling it got me $600 that I desperately needed to pay bills, so I'm not complaining there.

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 7, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've heard a lot of good things about the story, but I've never heard a single person say a good thing about the gameplay of Rule of Rose, so I guess it falls into that wide range of "horror games that would be good if only they didn't try to be games."

Haunting Ground is actually fun, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all acting like "horror game with bad gameplay and good everything else" doesn't describe every horror game up until, like, I dunno. RE4.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rule of Rose was way outside of Punchline’s territory as they spawned from love-de-lic which had a pedigree of postmodern games. But Rule of Rose is like ps1-era survival horror played straight except everything is obfuscated one extra step. Imagine if every item in Resident Evil was invisible unless you sprayed powder in the air but the powder only covered a 5x5 area. And you’re only equipped with a knife.

If they had gone for more of a puzzle adventure style like their previous titles it would be remembered for more than just its story.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
As far as dumb manipulative horror titles go involving animals, I wanna say that one of the ones I hate the most is Neko No Hi because it is quite literally just a game where you hold left until you get jumpscared by lovely "spooky" cat pictures and then the cat dies from being haunted by ghost cats and then you see missing posters looking for the cat and the cat is one of the ghosts now. The entire thing just frustrated me because the entire thing felt like garbage and it getting under my skin at all felt like when you get annoyed over being spooked by something that isn't even scary, it's just something clearly designed to manipulate you and it's so poorly thrown together and yet it still worked not on its own merits but because of the manipulation aspect.

I apologize if I'm offending or bothering anybody, that kind of stuff just really gets on my nerves and that game was using it less as a crutch and more as the entire foundation of its existence.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rule of Rose as a game gets much less annoying once you realize you can cancel out of any fight animation, so combat can be totally cheesed whenever you feel like it. Slash block slash block slash block die

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Similar deal with Illbleed, an amazing game that’s annoying to play. Mash invincibility dodge until you can escape every fight.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Illbleed, divorced from historical context, :stare:

Illbleed, in 2000 or whatever, with my new Dreamcast, :yayclod:

also see: carrier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_(video_game) and the original (real!) RE CV tbh

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

no game will ever top the killerman reveal

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Carrier gets a lot of poo poo, but I think I would have really liked that game if I had played it at a time when it was new. Also, it has some of the most enthusiastic voice acting I've ever heard. I think every single person who worked on that game was having a complete ball with it, and they managed to communicate that feeling very well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

every few years that comes back to me and I start laughing

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Lani Minella needs a medal or some poo poo for managing to be in pretty much every low-budget horror game released in the past 20 years like some kind of screen scream queen.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Miraculously, I had never heard that name before, so I was amazed to see in how many games I've definitely heard her. She's the Subnatica Sea Emperor! Along with a crazy amount of other things. Not bad for a 70 year old.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

0 rows returned posted:

Everything in D2

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

D2 was weirder, but absolutely not funnier.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

God I wish that D4 had ever had a chance.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

D2 was weirder, but absolutely not funnier.

D2's got loads of funny poo poo though, whether it's starting the game off with "SHADOW THE FINAL DESTROYER" on loop or a character at the start going on a monologue about how you need to be careful because monsters bleed differently and you'll never know if someone is a human or a monster and then that never comes again, or when you're fighting an early boss and a giant pigeon appears from nowhere to pick him up during the fight

That game goes some places. A lot of places.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

D2 is legit terrifying to me, for some reason. A lot of games try to capture the feeling of having really weird dreams but it's the only one where I had to go back and look at it to make sure I hadn't just hallucinated parts of it.

The grandpa boss skeeves me right the hell out, I still think about that sometimes and get real creeped.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
D2 has a lot of funny stuff but its tucked between a lot of very tedious monologues that go nowhere

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

D2's got loads of funny poo poo though, whether it's starting the game off with "SHADOW THE FINAL DESTROYER" on loop or a character at the start going on a monologue about how you need to be careful because monsters bleed differently and you'll never know if someone is a human or a monster and then that never comes again, or when you're fighting an early boss and a giant pigeon appears from nowhere to pick him up during the fight

That game goes some places. A lot of places.
I don't really know that I'd call any of that funny in the same sense as Killerman is Killerman!. At best it's a bit unintentionally humorous, but D2 didn't really have any laugh-out-loud funny moment such as the Lumberjack Song. Yo ho ho and I'm out of control!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I actually enjoyed D2 quite a bit, exploring the different locales was pretty creepy and fun. The gunplay was not like anything else I had played up to that point, the tradeoff between being able to run away or shooting a jerk was interesting. Also the final boss was some seriously bugfuck weirdness, which I always like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was watching manlybadasshero's video of this cyberpunk horror adventure game called Sense and I decided to look at the steam page and hoo boy it has an awful lot of positive reviews that can more or less be summed up as people saying they bought the game to make sjws mad, so spending money to trigger the libs. I guess there was some criticism or drama or something about it because its character designs are very sexualized, like ridiculously so, like the women all look like someone thought "what if I could go higher than the maximum on a character creator boob slider"

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 8, 2021

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I was watching manlybadasshero's video of this cyberpunk horror adventure game called Sense and I decided to look at the steam page and hoo boy it has an awful lot of positive reviews that can more or less be summed up as people saying they bought the game to make sjws mad, so spending money to trigger the libs. I guess there was some criticism or drama or something about it because its character designs are very sexualized, like ridiculously so, like the women all look like someone thought "what if I could go higher than the maximum on a character creator boob slider"

Seems there was a backlash at their art style and receiving death threats over it, though in their proof of the death threats, there's a bunch of homophobic and transphobic slurs also being thrown about so the whole thing entirely reeks of manufactured outrage because, uh, it's not SJWs calling people f*gs or tr*nnys.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lmaooooo

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Horny Games Megathread is next door

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lifeglug posted:

Seems there was a backlash at their art style and receiving death threats over it, though in their proof of the death threats, there's a bunch of homophobic and transphobic slurs also being thrown about so the whole thing entirely reeks of manufactured outrage because, uh, it's not SJWs calling people f*gs or tr*nnys.

Yeah it seemed very manufactured , even before that the game had a comment a few minutes into the game where it complained about people not liking titty games, and how sjws(though it didn't use the word) don't actually support and play games, they only complain about them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hel posted:

Yeah it seemed very manufactured , even before that the game had a comment a few minutes into the game where it complained about people not liking titty games, and how sjws(though it didn't use the word) don't actually support and play games, they only complain about them.

Sounds similar to that one shooter Ion Fury where the devs made a really bad joke, apologized and pulled it, and then put it back in and really leaned into "free expression" when the hate purchases started rolling in.

Yeah having scruples is nice but you know what is better than scruples? Fifteen dollars

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

That one bums me out a lot too because Ion Fury is super good. Why can't more devs be like the DUSK guy, who's both a good person and makes incredibly good games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lifeglug posted:

I haven't seen any of the social media backlash because I haven't gone looking for it but it is pretty believable that those kinds of people (the "anti-sjw" types, not necessarily the devs but it could be the devs too because again I haven't gone looking for the backlash they say has been happening so I can't say one way or the other what it was) would basically manufacture their own enemy strawman argument against the game as a reason to buy it.

This is what the dev said.

Here's that early line that is mocking this kind of thing

And some other screenshots I saw while looking for those that I thought the thread might enjoy

The reviews also mention that the game isn't very cyberpunk-ish at all past the opening, that very quickly you end up in a mostly modern abandoned building dealing with ghosts and that the cyberpunk stuff becomes very minor set dressing.

e: pffft I looked up dankula thinking maybe it was like a kickstarter backer kinda situation where they just populated the game with backers or patrons or supporters and found this article.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/count-dankula-nazi-pug-video-mark-meechan-court-appeal-fund-latest-a9245541.html

Real quality here lol

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 8, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Wow those titties are real dumb looking. Also the people that habitually use "UGH THESE FAGS DON'T EVEN BUY GAMES" can lick my gay rear end, from all my experience, it's often the people actually critical that bought and played games while a bunch of channers pirate it, if they even do anything at all other than use it for their moron culture war crap. A bunch of that popped up around Brigador when what's his name lead dev got outed as a nazi, a bunch of those remarks came out because only insert all the stupid names would be upset by the dev posting a bunch of violent bigotry and then people posted receipts and the people most upset were people who had heaps of hours in the game and even owned merch. THE NAZI CHEERLEADERS NOT SO MUCH, COINCIDENTALLY.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 8, 2021

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, so a game featuring a character named after the guy who taught his dog to heil Hitler will soon be available on the Nintendo Switch eShop.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't seen any of the social media backlash because I haven't gone looking for it but it is pretty believable that those kinds of people (the "anti-sjw" types, not necessarily the devs but it could be the devs too because again I haven't gone looking for the backlash they say has been happening so I can't say one way or the other what it was) would basically manufacture their own enemy strawman argument against the game as a reason to buy it.

This is what the dev said.

Here's that early line that is mocking this kind of thing

And some other screenshots I saw while looking for those that I thought the thread might enjoy

The reviews also mention that the game isn't very cyberpunk-ish at all past the opening, that very quickly you end up in a mostly modern abandoned building dealing with ghosts and that the cyberpunk stuff becomes very minor set dressing.

e: pffft I looked up dankula thinking maybe it was like a kickstarter backer kinda situation where they just populated the game with backers or patrons or supporters and found this article.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/count-dankula-nazi-pug-video-mark-meechan-court-appeal-fund-latest-a9245541.html

Real quality here lol

They really leaned into that poo poo. I have no horse in the race I wrote the game off however long ago as some weird horny game that is not for me because that’s not my poo poo, so the only stuff I’ve seen about the backlash is me checking the controversy right now.

The devs themselves posted “receipts” of the death threats and it’s really clearly not SJWs or whatever menace they have invented, but also I don’t at all think it’s manufactured by the devs to sell more titty games, more that 4chan or some other dumb hellhole has decided to stir up poo poo. The devs have clearly run with it so gently caress them, though.

Anyway who cares about stupid horny game for gamergaters.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Eox posted:

Ah, so a game featuring a character named after the guy who taught his dog to heil Hitler will soon be available on the Nintendo Switch eShop.

Honestly not surprising considering Scotland also spawned Frankie Boyle, who's sole contribution to comedy is saying lovely things with a scottish accent.

This is mostly a throwaway post so i can poo poo on Frankie Boyle don't take it too seriously

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 8, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lifeglug posted:

The devs themselves posted “receipts” of the death threats and it’s really clearly not SJWs or whatever menace they have invented

Yeah like, I think you don't know what the words you're using mean if you think the ~essjays~ are sending you uh, threats loaded with homophobia and transphobia!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Stepping away from the horny game one moment, I'm not sure where to post this but here sounds good I suppose. I watched a YouTube video about the "scariest picture on the scp site" and it made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkbewYbSRA

The secret of this photo? Some scp editor put filters on two girls screaming when they are on a Rollercoaster.

But the unintentionally funny part which if you don't want to watch the video : The youtuber recorded himself staring at the photograph for 4 hours to see if the picture will change like those viral heritage fake cam videos

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Started playing Control and it's weird and dumb and makes all kinds of bad decisions (lol at the awkward internal monologue and live action actors) but I also kind of love it precisely for those bad decisions? If nothing else it's got some interesting ideas and is having fun with them. I really witsh it were actually scary though or at least had enemies that were more interesting than random dudes with glowing bits. I mean come on, you have the entire multiverse at your disposal. Give me some eldritch abominations!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Definitely wouldn't consider Control a horror game, or even an amazing game. But I have a huge soft spot for it. It's so much fun after you open up certain movements, and the live action videos get very good.