Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gynovore posted:

Search for "Sandalphon's MM binds", those are the best.

I tried those before and I don't see the need for such granular control vs having "attack" on Q and "heel" on E. Could you give some examples of cool things you can do with the numpad binds?

Inzombiac posted:

Carful with that build. Storm is great but melee heavy MMs struggle with it. Necro maybe the most since their AI is hot dookie.

I think I read that homecoming had some recent pet AI changes but who knows how true or effective that is. I've tried necro/storm, demon/thermal, and ninja/??? (I forget). I think I'm just kind of down on MMs as a whole since a lot of time is spent just making sure your pets are being useful. Like I said though, necro/storm is something I want to make work since it fits my name!

I guess I could try a dark blast/storm corruptor or dark/storm controller? I feel like "shadow control" isn't in the same vein as necromantic energy though. Is there another wind power set I'm missing? I think people have talked about an unreleased wind blast set or something before.

e: looking at the dark control power set, I think that haunt and umbra beast still fit the theme I'm going for, so I'll give that a shot. Any dark/storm controller players care to comment on the build? Controller in general is an archetype that I have not spent much time with so I'd appreciate any general tips for staying alive and being effective in groups.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Diephoon posted:

I tried those before and I don't see the need for such granular control vs having "attack" on Q and "heel" on E. Could you give some examples of cool things you can do with the numpad binds?

I might be the wrong person to answer because I don't really MM granularly much myself, but I will say that the usefulness depends on your powersets, build, and strategy.

I have a beasts/nature that just leaves wolves on Def/Follow and leaps headlong into the action with his full fighting pool. It was conceived as a gimmick but is amazingly fun and surprisingly effective (damage is meh, but survivability is amazing). He has basically no need of binds due to how it plays. Bots/FF hardly needs binds either, because your bots are pretty much invincible and all fight from range; just set your defenses, pick a target, and attack/aggressive.

People who do play them granularly will do things like: Keep the minions on Bodyguard while sending in the big guns, or move specific pet types around the battlefield depending on their strengths and weaknesses.

I think Necro is a set that does shout for some granularity. Zombies are slow and die more easily than your other pets, so you might wanna move them around while letting the knights and lich be. The lich can attack at range, so you might wanna keep it close to you and send your knights in to tank / sacrifice. Or you might wanna send your lich in alone to be slaughtered, so you can bring in a ghost.

Personally though, rather than using a general bind set, I like to make macro buttons for specific strategies (petcom_pow Lich goto, petcom_pow Zombie defensive follow, etc). It's just easier to me to smack the relevant button in the heat of the moment than think about the key combination to do what's needed.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 9, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Diephoon posted:

I had binds that took from a long list of themed attack messages for MM Ronald Reagan or his demons to say. Sometimes a pose was included. Same for switching costumes.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Diephoon posted:

e: looking at the dark control power set, I think that haunt and umbra beast still fit the theme I'm going for, so I'll give that a shot. Any dark/storm controller players care to comment on the build? Controller in general is an archetype that I have not spent much time with so I'd appreciate any general tips for staying alive and being effective in groups.

Have not tried a dark/storm controller but it should be strong: dark is very solid control, and storm adds to that, plus damage. You can stack pbaoe stuns with Heart of Darkness and Thunderclap. Put a kb-kd proc in Tornado for even more stun (otherwise it tends to cause chaos, and melee will probably hate you). Since your aoe hold is a patch (this is cool), you want to keep from tossing poo poo everywhere anyway.

How not to suck on a team: at low levels, this means not spamming Gale. Also don't try to start the fights until you know what you're doing. There's no quicker way to get a controller killed than by opening with a mass immob, which pisses everything off and makes them shoot you. Let a burly individual, such as a tank or brute, get some aggro first. Once you have them, Fearsome Stare/Freezing Rain makes a good opener.

Probably put off snow storm if you take it at all. Later you can add a kb-kd proc in Gale if you want, so it just knocks things over instead of tossing them everywhere. Slot Freezing Rain for recharge, use whenever it's up. Keep your Haunts out as much as you can. If you take Hurricane, learn to push mobs somewhere useful with it, bear in mind you can use the to-hit debuff at the very edge of the power without shoving things around too much. Unless they need to be shoved.

Controllers can be sort of dull and wimpy until you get the level 32 pet, but /storm controllers get Tornado at 35 and Lightning Storm at 38. By this point, you will realize your potential as a god of destruction. You can start soloing effectively with Freezing Rain, but at higher levels you can solo *very* effectively. I like the Ice epic with storm, because Hibernate sort of makes up for not having any way to heal, and Ice Storm is thematic and another rain power fits neatly into the playstyle. I personally slot my controllers to cap ranged defense and it works for me, but other people will probably tell you to max out s/l defense and recharge.

Great costume, btw.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Oh wow I never thought of using storm as an egyptian curse set, I've just been colouring my dark miasma into sand!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I was going more for "deathly miasma" but I guess you could do that too :v:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Yeah, I want to steal the whole concept, even though I have two dark/ and two /storm controllers already. It’s a great idea.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Granular control for MMs can be great.

I mained a Robot one and would place each tier around the room so that their KBs would knock enemies in to other groups.

Wholly unneeded but fun.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like being able to send my mercs over to a guy who's AFK and pose around him. But that's mostly just good knowledge of /petcom.

Just wish I could use all the emotes with my Beast MM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNJ4Uhce4Q8

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
as a bots/time MM I love being able to individually control my groups because it lets me feel like I'm doing something while my bots carry me

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
On a scale of 1/10, how bad of an idea is rolling an Ice/Time controller

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crasical posted:

It would be fine but I don't think you could solo... anything.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah I guess ice's best damage before the pet is arctic air and they can't beat each other up if they're all time debuffed. Seems like overpaying on CC since time is great at that already.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Anybody play on Everlasting? I don't actually want to roleplay but I would like to see more (hopefully) well designed characters and I figure roleplayers would have more investment in creating them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Crasical posted:

A dude posted:

It would be fine but I don't think you could solo... anything.

Yeah this. Great holds/buffs/dubuffs but almost zero damage until level 32, and not much after.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Diephoon posted:

Anybody play on Everlasting? I don't actually want to roleplay but I would like to see more (hopefully) well designed characters and I figure roleplayers would have more investment in creating them.

I find this to be true. I was on Virtue on live. Roleplayers are fun to hang out with and their charcters tend to be more interesting, and get played with more personality even when not RPing. My SG (also not RPers) used to go to Freedom when Virtue was down, but I didn't. Couldn't stand the comparatively dull, grindy nature of it.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
So basically great if I want to just walk around doing the /em teabag emote while my friends kill mobs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I played on Virtue as well. There was a non-Goon group I played with for a long time and they were a hoot.

Then someone joined, made some weird assumptions about me and started sending gross, explicit messages. I talked to the SG leader and they dismissed it as being "in-character".

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
okay I tested the stacked auras on the test server and what it did to a random street mob was *hilarious* so I'm going to do it even if it's a bad idea.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Diephoon posted:

I'm not currently playing, but unless things have changed drastically as populations have gone down then Everlasting might have what you're looking for, yeah. You're still going to see your share of low effort gimmicks, and there are obviously going to be Pocket D weirdos, but overall it was a pretty good community and on balance you're probably going to see more people with bios than without. I've still got an enormous folder of screenshots I took of just character bios and costumes that I should get around to sorting.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I always do at least a token backstory, i.e.

I'm not incredibly into the walls of text some people have, but it's not actively harmful to my experience.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Might be time to break out the Velocipastor again and get to healing in Raptor Jesus' name!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's one I made a while back. I should really actually level this character sometime

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Not one of my characters, but the bio always cheers me up when I read it:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's a good bio.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

and yet when I post about Elfifornication I get probated

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I don't have it but dethkicker is GOAT in my book for bios. Honestly it should be in the OP.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nonexistence posted:

I don't have it but dethkicker is GOAT in my book for bios. Honestly it should be in the OP.

Yes but he didn't accuse Jack E of "GOING TO THE AMERICANS!!!"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Did you mean Sing Sang Song?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

Did you mean Sing Sang Song?

Yep, that's the one

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
did they ever fix martial arts? Isn't everything basically resistant to it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's mostly smashing damage, so yeah it's a tough sell.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Soonmot posted:

They tried changing Eagle's Claw to a small AOE but reverted it in testing

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, it's called Street Justice

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Soonmot posted:

Martial Arts isn't horrible, it's just very blah. There's only one AoE and it isn't great, the only mitigation is a tiny chance for stun attached to a few attacks, and it's just boring to play.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, it's called Street Justice

Empty quote!

SJ is both powerful and stylish.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gynovore posted:

Martial Arts isn't horrible, it's just very blah. There's only one AoE and it isn't great, the only mitigation is a tiny chance for stun attached to a few attacks, and it's just boring to play.

Cobra Strike is 75% chance to stun. Crane Kick is Crane Kick. Eagle's Claw also has a high chance to stun, IIRC.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
How's the dominator shuriken set? A shuriken character sounds really cool but I haven't come up with a design/name I like yet.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Do grav/shuriken and name them Yeet, a zoomer with the power to apply kinetic energy to objects they touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It's probably the best ranged dom set, the chain shutiken is nerf worthy and then you get exploding shuriken you throw while flipping