Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

https://tgg-games.com/ seems to claim it can take extra KS orders - unsure how legit it is

Digging back to October here, because I put an order in with TGG Games for Tainted Grail back then on faith. TLDR; got my order today, everything is as expected. I would order again if I missed a KS and they had the thing I wanted. Just wanted to give a review since there's not much out there about them.

There was no communication from them after the order confirmation. I just kept an eye on the KS page, since I knew it would be second wave shipping at that point. Once second wave to the US was announced I reached out to them via FB messenger, and got a reply basically saying they didn't get theirs yet and that when they did I'd get a shipping notification. A few weeks later I got an email saying that their shipping estimate was too low, and that they could refund me or invoice me about $30 for shipping. That price was still a lot less than anyplace else I could buy it, so I had them invoice me. Shipped the next day, just arrived.

So, generally poor communication, but sufficient, and delivered me what I ordered quickly after they got it, admittedly with a shipping price hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hmm, interesting - their preorders have much cheaper shipping to Hawaii that a few kickstarters I've avoided because of ridiculous surcharges (Batman & western Zombicide).

Their FAQ is pretty :chloe:, though :v:

quote:

Q - Why does it take so long to answer questions regarding trading card games?

A - We sell trading card games so low that it is almost insulting. So it's almost impossible to sell product 10-100% lower than your FLGS and still be available round the clock to answer questions. The reason why your FLGS is available, is because they are making a real killing off of you. We make 2-5% margin on 99% of the trading card game products. When consumers spend a high amount of gross dollars, they generally feel more entitled. This works against the reality of how trading card games operate. When we sell these products under market price, knowing that we can easily sell an infinite amount of them at a higher price, we can't spent 2 hours talking to you about the products for 2-5% margin.

Q - So why do you go through the effort of selling trading card games if there is no margin involved in the sale?

A - Buying power. When you spend money you raise allocations on extremely rare products. Products that we care about, that our customers demand. So when a board game comes into the US market in a small wave, we can usually purchase almost the entire wave in one chunk. Thus controlling the entire board game market in between print runs. Balancing allocation and buying power is the name of the game!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah there's not much on their site that I found confidence inspiring. I took a gamble anyway, and got what I ordered.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Stickman posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. We can't answer your questions because we're giving you too good a deal and don't feel like scamming you (we could though, since you let those FLGS do it to you).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

armorer posted:

Yeah there's not much on their site that I found confidence inspiring. I took a gamble anyway, and got what I ordered.

I'm still tempted for a couple of games where the KS is asking for 4-5x shipping costs outside the mainland US!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Stickman posted:

I'm still tempted for a couple of games where the KS is asking for 4-5x shipping costs outside the mainland US!

To this I will say, note that they did upcharge me for shipping at the end! Granted, they offered a refund right up front if I didn't want to pay more shipping.

The Tainted Grail box was 25 lbs, so the extra shipping price seemed legit. You can always try messaging them through FB messenger and asking about shipping to HI. They got back to me within about a day, but were pretty curt. I get the impression they really aren't particularly chatty.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

armorer posted:

The Tainted Grail box was 25 lbs

Is... that a typo?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
https://i.imgur.com/2hXPdb5.mp4

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SettingSun posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. We can't answer your questions because we're giving you too good a deal and don't feel like scamming you (we could though, since you let those FLGS do it to you).

Awaken Realms huff their own farts SOOOOO HARD

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stickman posted:

"Your FLGS is dumb for charging mark-ups, also we buy-out entire print runs so we can do mark-ups"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It reads like "we sell trading cards at close to cost just so distributors will let us buy board games in the quantity we want (which we don't sell at close to cost at all)".

Which, fair enough, if that's what makes sense for your business model, but the fact that they need to publicly mention it plus throw shade at everyone else doing things differently suggests they've got a bit of a chip on their shoulder about it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FulsomFrank posted:

Is... that a typo?

I didn't put it on a scale, but the shipping weight was listed as 25 lbs. That's not just the base game though, that's with stretch goals and added campaign.

^^^^^
Edit: And yeah, that's how I read that too, but also they came across pretty gruff in the few communications I had with them. Ultimately though, they got me what I ordered at a better price than anyone else I could find, so I'll take it.

armorer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 9, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, that faq is why I chose to not go to the gaming goat near me. Well, that and the fact that I moved closer to the game store that sells used games.

This is most of the used games with a good amount out of frame

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I can't wait for Mayveena to say something witty so I can reply and say "oh Mayveena you're such a card".

Selecta84 posted:

I see.

I am gonna keep it in then.

You can use the Archipelago variant that adds the benefactor card as an extra public objective, that should work fine for at least the learning game. Whether that's necessary depends on your group (i.e. will somebody unwittingly say "I don't understand my objective, what did you say the separatist was again?").

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, that faq is why I chose to not go to the gaming goat near me. Well, that and the fact that I moved closer to the game store that sells used games.

This is most of the used games with a good amount out of frame

Congratulations on finding the only copy of Debtzilla in the US.

Also I hope you bought that copy of Belfort, and that you snagged Fortress America because if it's complete it'll flip for a fair wad.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Stickman posted:

Hmm, interesting - their preorders have much cheaper shipping to Hawaii that a few kickstarters I've avoided because of ridiculous surcharges (Batman & western Zombicide).

The dude running TGG-games (the OLGS, I've heard there's little connection between him and the FLGSs) is remarkably full of himself and a true tool. I ordered Dwellings of Eldervale months ago, my card was charged, I got a notification that a shipping label had been printed, and then... nothing. The only way to contact them was via facebook messenger (huh? that prompted an auto response telling me to "CHECK OUT OUR SWEET FAQ"), and my messages asking whether they even had the game in stock or if I'd unwittingly placed a pre-order went unanswered, until my bank initiated a chargeback. Then I heard back, and he went on about how they had 200+ employees and couldn't answer every question because there was only one person working in fulfillment and a bunch of other nonsense. On top of that he refused to refund my shipping charges but the bank took it anyway.

They post good prices but I wouldn't trust them at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't around in a year, sweet FAQ or no.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Not reimbursing shipping on something they didn't ship is kinda insane. In my case I knew I was preordering something they didn't have in stock. Their web site has stuff broken down by in stock/not in stock as well as kickstarter/non kickstarter so I kinda knew what to expect.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Game Brain podcast featuring me is up.

Trying to get my Dominant Species Marine video done, except somehow I'm short of breath in it and I sound like I'm at death's door. I got some medication, hopefully it'll be up by Wednesday.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I actually hadn't realized dxv had put out a sequel to kingdom builder, good episode all around.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't wait for Mayveena to say something witty so I can reply and say "oh Mayveena you're such a card".

she should be dealt with

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

2-5% just close the loving business

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Selecta84 posted:

So I was able to snag Archipelago with both expansions for a reasonable price and it should be here this week

Should I leave out War and Piece and the separatist cards for the first game?

Dang I've been looking for the single player expansion forever, where did you manage to snag yours?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Ellaybee posted:

The dude running TGG-games (the OLGS, I've heard there's little connection between him and the FLGSs) is remarkably full of himself and a true tool. I ordered Dwellings of Eldervale months ago, my card was charged, I got a notification that a shipping label had been printed, and then... nothing. The only way to contact them was via facebook messenger (huh? that prompted an auto response telling me to "CHECK OUT OUR SWEET FAQ"), and my messages asking whether they even had the game in stock or if I'd unwittingly placed a pre-order went unanswered, until my bank initiated a chargeback. Then I heard back, and he went on about how they had 200+ employees and couldn't answer every question because there was only one person working in fulfillment and a bunch of other nonsense. On top of that he refused to refund my shipping charges but the bank took it anyway.

They post good prices but I wouldn't trust them at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't around in a year, sweet FAQ or no.

I exclusively shopped at the flagship TGG location for a few years because they were Amazon prices but a local game store and I could pick something up instantly. I have since stopped shopping there after seeing the owner's general attitude towards everything, weird tirades on Facebook, and gloating about putting other local shops out of business. Now I go to an amazing place down the street that is closer to MSRP but they've been around since the 80s, have a huge selection, and are owned by some cool older dudes. I feel much better about giving them my business.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

Congratulations on finding the only copy of Debtzilla in the US.

Also I hope you bought that copy of Belfort, and that you snagged Fortress America because if it's complete it'll flip for a fair wad.

I didn't buy anything from the used section that trip. Mostly due to the aforementioned 3 year old not letting me sort through and look up games I don't recognize. Next time I'm there I'll see if any of those games are still there (and I wouldn't be surprised either way TBH, it doesn't seem like many people spend time in the used section for whatever reason.)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Morpheus posted:

Dang I've been looking for the single player expansion forever, where did you manage to snag yours?

Hah, I had mine up on ebay for so long that I forgot about it until it sold it to someone in Montreal. Funny how one person's unobtainium is another's dead stock.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

You can use the Archipelago variant that adds the benefactor card as an extra public objective, that should work fine for at least the learning game. Whether that's necessary depends on your group (i.e. will somebody unwittingly say "I don't understand my objective, what did you say the separatist was again?").

Gonna look into that.

Thanks

Morpheus posted:

I asked for the complete package on a forum and got 4 offers with varying prices from 70 incl. shipping up to 100 + shipping.

There is also this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/13363921181...dkaAkR_EALw_wcB

and this:
https://www.amazon.de/Asmodee-Strategiespiel-Archipelago/dp/B08JL4HZ52

But if you are not in Germany these may be hard to come by

Other Christophe Boelinger question:

I started looking at Earth Reborn and there are some pretty good offers nearby...

How good is it?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 9, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jeez I love Root enough that I windmill slammed the Marauders expansion kickstarter but Anne mother of Mary mother of Jaysus do they send out way too many loving emails. I don't care about your livestream, Kyle. Is there a way to block emails from a kickstarter campaign in such a way that I only get updates that materially matter?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
1861/1867 just showed up. It's gorgeous. By far the best looking 18XX I have ever laid my eyes on. The charters and cards are on beautiful card-stock, there are separate player aids for everyone, mounted cardboard stock charts that uses the same gorgeous finish that the dual-sided game board has and the game board itself is clear and easy to read and has as far as I can tell, lovely contrasting colours and shades... I also spent two hours putting stickers on all the pieces too.

And tile trays!

Absolutely incredible, can't wait to play it. But this really is something else in terms of production quality. Cannot wait to see what he does with 1889.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Jeez I love Root enough that I windmill slammed the Marauders expansion kickstarter but Anne mother of Mary mother of Jaysus do they send out way too many loving emails. I don't care about your livestream, Kyle. Is there a way to block emails from a kickstarter campaign in such a way that I only get updates that materially matter?

I don't think that's a thing, but you could maybe disable notifications until the campaign finishes and then re-enable?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CommonShore posted:

Hah, I know what you mean. Some creators are just like that, or they think that's what they need to be like. It's kind of exhausting.

I still sort of prefer it to "updates" that are just a URL to a Facebook post or something. Like, if I wanted to follow you on social media I'd just do that.

Selecta84 posted:

Other Christophe Boelinger question:

I started looking at Earth Reborn and there are some pretty good offers nearby...

How good is it?

Earth Reborn is a game that is crazy well done with an amazing amount of depth. It's a "minis on a map" game that manages to do things differently than every other such game, and in a way that hangs together. I'll preface this next part by saying I haven't actually cracked open Earth Reborn in years, but I've always considered it my favorite game that I never get to play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Earth Reborn is incredibly fiddly and rules heavy which is probably why you haven't played it in years :)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Also Earth Reborn falls into that rare category of games that I needed a goddamn video/explanation to understand how to put it away. The insert is insane and I think it'd be easier to summon Pinhead than it is to put everything away.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FulsomFrank posted:

Is... that a typo?
The Frosthaven white box copy is like 27-28, lbs, per a recent update.

It's gonna be a real big game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I've played the first two tutorial games of Earth Reborn before deciding that a two player game consisting of about a dozen tutorial missions requires knowing at least one other person as insane as you are, and is not worth the time investment. I've been trying to sell my copy for literal years.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah I think that it is fair to judge the quality of a game partially by how accessible it is. It could be the most clever game in the world, but if it requires a significant amount of buy in for another player then that is a large demerit to it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my hope of ever playing this again died when my sister had to move out of the city :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dwarf74 posted:

The Frosthaven white box copy is like 27-28, lbs, per a recent update.

It's gonna be a real big game.

My group hasn't finished Gloomhaven yet, and I get the sense that they're going to want variety when we're allowed to start gathering again, so I'm starting to expect that Frosthaven is going to be a solo game for me.

27-28 lb all to myself :smug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Anyone on the fence about Earth Reborn should probably just read the rulebook and see if it seems like it is their thing or not based on that. I feel like you'll either be :frogon: or :piss: in short order, with very little in between.

If someone said it's really a game made for two superbestfriends who have both time and energy to really dive into it in order to make it sing, well, I guess that would be fair :goleft:

To borrow and paraphrase a spot-on observation Gutter Owl once made about Magic Realm: on one hand I feel like it could use a re-imagining and remake, but on the other hand I don't think it would come out the other side of that process with all its limbs intact.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beyond the Sun is in Alpha on BGA now, I had not played it before but it seems pretty neat. There's a lot going on by the systems all seem to work nicely, give you plenty of options. Worker placement, but you only have 1 worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CommonShore posted:

My group hasn't finished Gloomhaven yet, and I get the sense that they're going to want variety when we're allowed to start gathering again, so I'm starting to expect that Frosthaven is going to be a solo game for me.

27-28 lb all to myself :smug:
We didn't finish the main campaign either, before covid hit. We restarted the campaign like idiots - and now we're trying to be bad guys.

It's gonna be a while before FH delivery, so hopefully by then your buddies will want to take it for a spin. It's gonna be really good; it's been a blast to test.