Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Khanstant posted:

If you've got a mace, shield, and poison mead, do yourself a favour and fight him toe-to-toe. The mace will one or two shot the adds he spawns, the shield can block/parry his melee attack (or dodge roll away or into him), and the mead basically negates his poison aoe if you don't manage to walk out of range and lure him out fast enough.

I fought him solo after me and my coop partner did and it's not really any harder, it just takes longer with half the people wailing on boss and splitting aggro. Still, much faster than plinking with arrows which gets real boring real fast

I second this. I suspect all the Bonemass anxiety and cheesing YouTube videos are from his reputation, not actual difficulty or mechanics. It's easier than any Dark Souls boss by far. His attack patterns are absurdly predictable and seem to run on a fixed rotation. Sausage, meat, I personally used honey for the extra regen and I was pleasantly surprised how manageable it actually was. It he were a raid boss in WOW people would be picketing Blizzard headquarters for "catering to the casuals."

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

quote:

The other performance tips help a lot too, fwiw. The fullscreen fix and special gpu flags gave me about ~20% more FPS.
Fullscreen trick does nothing for me. Not a single FPS gain.

quote:

I think this is the disconnect lol, to most of us that would be considered nigh-unplayable.
I understand from the start that I would have to live with 30FPS and a huge home, so I am fine with it being that way.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Taffer posted:

The other performance tips help a lot too, fwiw. The fullscreen fix and special gpu flags gave me about ~20% more FPS.

Do you have a link to these?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I think we were just sausage, honey, and queensjam or cooked meat. We had iron weapon/tools but mixed armor, i was in all-troll and he was mixnmatch bronze/troll.

My buddy does not parry, he barely blocks, and he is the archetypal "swing until stamina is out and keep swingin why wont it let me gently caress" type combat. I don't think he beat the tutorial world boss in Dark Souls. He was much less cautious than I was fighting this boss, yet I probably took more damage and dealt less just because I built it up as a huge threat in my head. It took me a quarter of the bosses healthbar before i stopped trying to kite with my bow and just ran up to the oogie boogie man and chup him up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pill Clinton posted:

I understand from the start that I would have to live with 30FPS and a huge home, so I am fine with it being that way.

Honestly the FPS is too high sometimes. 250 FPS when I'm sailing on the ocean? No thank you, I can only really display 59 of those in a second anyway.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

the human eye only evolved to render up to 60 greydwarves per second

more than that is stretching the limit of time, space, and deer honking

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The deer honking gives me flashbacks to when I lived within a mile of a zoo and I'd hear the howler monkeys all the loving time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Do you have a link to these?

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lizxq9/valheim_fps_fix_benchmark_picture_guide_gained_an

quote:

Makes sense if you're in a large base that is CPU-bound, these fixes will really only help with the GPU performance. If you go out into the wilderness and test it you'll probably see a difference.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

sushibandit posted:

I've tried most of the tips shared on reddit and they have noticeably helped. There's also a performance-boosting mod for bepinex that I haven't tried yet.
Running a 1070 currently, generally able to hit 90-100 outside of bases and right around 60 in bases with view range set to max and everything else at low/med. Was capping out at 80ish before.

Would you mind sharing which tweaks have worked for you? I put my settings at mid/low and it did bump up to around 50-55 which is an improvement but not quite what I'm wanting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Subjunctive posted:

Is it generally the case that the swamp with Bonemass will have a lot of crypts? That would be good to know.

My map had Bonemass in a small swamp divided by water, there were only two crypts, one in each half.

Like actually the best advice is to just sail around looking for swamps (the trees make them easy to spot) and go check them out, you'll find one soon enough. And avoid those thin strip swamps along the coast, those almost never have crypts.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

My map had Bonemass in a small swamp divided by water, there were only two crypts, one in each half.

Like actually the best advice is to just sail around looking for swamps (the trees make them easy to spot) and go check them out, you'll find one soon enough. And avoid those thin strip swamps along the coast, those almost never have crypts.

I got lucky with my Bonemass swamp:

That might not even be all the crypts.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Floppychop posted:

The deer honking gives me flashbacks to when I lived within a mile of a zoo and I'd hear the howler monkeys all the loving time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't hunt deer for their skin and meat, but to get them to shut. UP!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I second this. I suspect all the Bonemass anxiety and cheesing YouTube videos are from his reputation, not actual difficulty or mechanics. It's easier than any Dark Souls boss by far. His attack patterns are absurdly predictable and seem to run on a fixed rotation. Sausage, meat, I personally used honey for the extra regen and I was pleasantly surprised how manageable it actually was. It he were a raid boss in WOW people would be picketing Blizzard headquarters for "catering to the casuals."

Yeah I really don't understand the sort of people who build a treehouse to shoot him with 200 frostarrows like you can't fully regenerate your health in the time it takes him to wind up a second attack, just build a upgraded bronze mace or tier 1 iron mace, just have a meal at a campfire and rest up and swig your poison resistance mead right before you fight him and wail on him with the mace while he takes 10+ seconds between each attack.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just need the appropriate resistance mead for bonemass+ and the fights are all trivial

Honestly bonemass is hardest due to the summons

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, we’ve been sailing around and have found a large collection of useless littoral swamps. We found two crypts in one larger one, but that’s about it.

We’ll go check out the one with Bonemass and then see, I guess.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Is it generally the case that the swamp with Bonemass will have a lot of crypts? That would be good to know.

The Bonemass swamp on one of my maps is in a small, coastal strip of swamp with no crypts or any other random structures. Just some swamp and the summoning spot right on the water.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does the FPS drop from terraforming apply worldwide or just in an area around the terraforming? Ie, can I just move far enough away and solve the problem?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Does the FPS drop from terraforming apply worldwide or just in an area around the terraforming? Ie, can I just move far enough away and solve the problem?

Just the area. On my friend's SPF server I can run away from the area and resume normal play. Which is kinda funny really, everyone hopped on and planned this big urban project right in the middle of the map on top of the 1st boss summon stone, and all of them just left it there to make houses far away from each other. It's like Viking Detroit now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dogstile posted:

It also looks terrible

I like the Linen cape more than the dead dog cape, but the cape circumvents carrying frostmead, so ain't gonna bother.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Get a Lox cape my man

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Scruffpuff posted:

Just the area. On my friend's SPF server I can run away from the area and resume normal play. Which is kinda funny really, everyone hopped on and planned this big urban project right in the middle of the map on top of the 1st boss summon stone, and all of them just left it there to make houses far away from each other. It's like Viking Detroit now.

One of our guys is just off somewhere making a cool harbor, I do like that about the game. Outside of the main Progression the game rewards like 5-7 people playing a server on their own time very well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh dang, guess I missed the lox cape in the rush to make lox food.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only benefit of the linen cape over the wolf/lox capes is that you can color them

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 9, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

bus hustler posted:

One of our guys is just off somewhere making a cool harbor, I do like that about the game. Outside of the main Progression the game rewards like 5-7 people playing a server on their own time very well.

That is a cool thing about it. With an open-ended game like this I don't like to think about how the game is "intended" to play per se, but rather how the developers expected it would be played. I think the fact that people would just build these huge towns was something they might not have considered, since they built a clear vertical progression system into the game. That said, they certainly know the wonders people are building now, so I suspect this is where their engineering focus is.

But if you play the way I suspect the developers expected, then everyone would be building smaller structures, bridges, mining camps, forges, etc. spread across the map. Roads for delivering ore, boat docks, etc. None of that would hamper performance. I think the elaborate and enormous structures and Chicago replicas might not have been 100% anticipated (although obviously they should have been).

Of course since the guys I know built an enormous home with huge upgraded forges, smelters, etc. in the very newbie center of the map, that means infinite long hauls to bring ore back there. They're gonna wind up not getting used and they'll just make forges closer to the source, or they'll fall back on cheap mechanics like bouncing non-portal materials off their private servers, which to me basically wrecks the entire point of the game. Might as well just console command them in if you're gonna do that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As I'm nearing the end of the current content... I wonder when the content updates will start? So far patches mostly focused on bugs and multiplayer which is good. But I wonder how long it will actually take for updates.

Ive found the 5th boss and fully upgraded all my gear. So all that is left for me is to try and raise my characters skills in multiplayer worlds after really.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

My Bonemass swamp had 5 crypts. We cleared them out and got over 300 iron.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

FrickenMoron posted:

As I'm nearing the end of the current content... I wonder when the content updates will start? So far patches mostly focused on bugs and multiplayer which is good. But I wonder how long it will actually take for updates.

Ive found the 5th boss and fully upgraded all my gear. So all that is left for me is to try and raise my characters skills in multiplayer worlds after really.

They put up a roadmap for 2021:

I don't know how much that can be trusted, however, since they never published a roadmap for the roadmap.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any mods for tweaking base invasions? I want to be attacked by hundreds of trolls.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

No dates, which is probably for the best. Just a very vague 2021 roadmap which gives them a lot of wiggle room to shift priorities - which given how the game exploded and how much of the appeal was in areas the devs didn't seem to anticipate initially - they'll probably do a lot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm curious how the world gen map changes will work as they roll out. Will we have to abandon our old worlds or characters as things significantly change? Altering terrain that's unexplored could be cool, but I mostly assume we'll have to start over at a few points in the road to release.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Really hoping for tweakable worldgen options soon, either in mod form or built in. Things like minimum biome size, adjacency options, etc.

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any mods for tweaking base invasions? I want to be attacked by hundreds of trolls.
Have not used it myself, but this seems like it does what you're looking for.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

sushibandit posted:

Really hoping for tweakable worldgen options soon, either in mod form or built in. Things like minimum biome size, adjacency options, etc.

Have not used it myself, but this seems like it does what you're looking for.

Cheers! Gonna have a look at that this weekend.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Scruffpuff posted:

Of course since the guys I know built an enormous home with huge upgraded forges, smelters, etc. in the very newbie center of the map, that means infinite long hauls to bring ore back there. They're gonna wind up not getting used and they'll just make forges closer to the source, or they'll fall back on cheap mechanics like bouncing non-portal materials off their private servers, which to me basically wrecks the entire point of the game. Might as well just console command them in if you're gonna do that.

I'd rather someone just mod out the portal restriction than go through the Catholic hand wringing of bouncing off a server.

Though I am guilty of playing my single player game & jumping into a friends game with uber food buffs still active. Comfort disappears but food is apparently character side?

Right now once you hit a certain point in the game and the game is almost entirely about just building & chilling, I'd probably mod it out myself.

edit: And your point how the devs probably intended it to be played is actually how I play on my own server. I'm not a big structure builder, very "throw it down and hope it survives."

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

bus hustler posted:

Though I am guilty of playing my single player game & jumping into a friends game with uber food buffs still active. Comfort disappears but food is apparently character side?

Rested buffs vanish as soon as you log out, for some reason. I have to keep remembering to stop sleeping right before I quit the game, since I always forget to check when I log back in and only notice my lack of a buff when I'm on the other side of the world mining ore and fending off enemies and realize my stamina regen is terrible. (Yes I know I can build a fire and sit at it anywhere, but that doesn't help when a wolf is currently trying to make me into dinner) Seems like a glitch or an oversight, really. As free as the game is about taking resources or gear to another world, I don't think this was intentionally done to keep you from committing the crime of taking a 15 minute resting buff with you.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

BobTheJanitor posted:

Rested buffs vanish as soon as you log out, for some reason. I have to keep remembering to stop sleeping right before I quit the game, since I always forget to check when I log back in and only notice my lack of a buff when I'm on the other side of the world mining ore and fending off enemies and realize my stamina regen is terrible. (Yes I know I can build a fire and sit at it anywhere, but that doesn't help when a wolf is currently trying to make me into dinner) Seems like a glitch or an oversight, really. As free as the game is about taking resources or gear to another world, I don't think this was intentionally done to keep you from committing the crime of taking a 15 minute resting buff with you.

I know I put in a bug report for that one, the other thing I mentioned was that the screen shake and rumble when you're standing on a slope and sliding just a tad is a bit too reminiscent of a troll or other large creature attack. No idea if either is a bug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish torches counted as fire sources, they don't have to confer comfort but just, like you can dry off near one under shelter would be nice.

E: I also wish the 4x4 stone floor was buildable, and some of the goblin base parts.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 9, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

BobTheJanitor posted:

A friend and I play on each other's servers pretty casually, sometimes he'll grab something from mine, or I'll bring something to his, since the game clearly links inventory to your characters they clearly meant it to be in. Our progression is pretty parallel so it hardly matters. But there's something about cheesing that mechanic to instantly teleport hundreds of pounds of poo poo all over the map instantly which just feels like it crosses some kind of line, at least for me. Instead of playing Valheim I'm suddenly playing Sliders. Have 10 parallel universes and in each one I'm standing in front of either an ore I need, a smelter to use it on, or the forge to make something with it, without walking 10 feet in any direction. Gonna die? Oops, better shift universes and drop all my poo poo in a safe box first!

Actually that could be its own game now that I think of it.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Leal posted:

My brothers and I, after spending a solid day sailing and getting absolutely nothing to show for it but empty swamps, just ended up looking for seeds that had swamps with crypts and made a new world with it. Cheating as hell, but there is "exploring the world and having excellent adventures" and "wasting my god drat time sailing an ocean where nothing happens".

I ended up doing the same when my first 2 swamps had no crypts in them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

I see in the reply to this that there's a mod that can be used to modify or disable raids. I'm not a fan of the raids, but greydwarves are whatever because they do zero damage. If I use cheat mode to just give myself the swamp key or other similar items without defeating the corresponding bosses, would the low level raids continue even though I would be able to continue progression in my game?

Edit: Or to be more clear, would that keep the low level raids in place even as I moved on in the game, rather than allowing the low level raids to be replaced by higher level monsters? I'd rather not fuss with a mod if there's an easier option.