Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Art Twitter has gotten pretty hotly divided thanks to NFTs, but the whole thing took a pretty nasty turn this morning.

https://twitter.com/isyourguy/status/1369145455158829056

https://twitter.com/WeirdUndead/status/1369210982518693888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is this where people realize that owning a token of something implies absolutely nothing about your legal ownership of the content itself?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Rarible seems like a mess in every way, but the major curated exchanges seem to have some steps to verify identity at least. This whole thing is going to be a circus for a while and I love it lol. Design twitter is nothing but people begging for Foundation invites and with everybody throwing their work on there prices are going down on most ordinary pieces/artists from what I’ve seen.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
https://twitter.com/found_serenity/status/1368833226102501376/photo/1

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Thinking really hard about that one time barack obama's twitter account got hijacked and turned into a bitcoin referral spambot

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's okay, you can easily dispute someone tokenising your work

Provided you actually know it happened.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What the gently caress is a tokenized tweet?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Elon Musk's end game

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Its inane bullshit for fuckers, Nitrousoxide

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

someone takes a screenshot of your tweet saying NFT are bullshit and then turns it into one

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
https://twitter.com/AlbertLeslie2K/status/1358152494073847808

imagine being this person. just think for a bit about what it would be like to be them and think these thoughts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tiberius Christ posted:

someone takes a screenshot of your tweet saying NFT are bullshit and then turns it into one

It's like this, but instead they marry your tweet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVzD-XwMNQ4

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Hello Sailor posted:

Pretty sure that's just something [...] bought right before it was made clear* to him that he wasn't actually welcome here.

* I'm assuming this, because he hasn't turned up in the Leper's Colony since HGB started deleting his posts.

tbh divabot's had that redtext for quite a while - probably around the last big spike, which topped out just short of $20,000 as I recall

EDIT: you're definitely attributing it correctly however

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm creating NFT index funds, which are pictures of 100 NFTs arranged in a 10x10 grid. Who wants in on the Inspirational Kitten Memes Fund?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Nitrousoxide posted:

it's someone placing "I own and can sell this tweet" on the blockchain

no, they don't check that you're the owner before they turn a tweet into a sellable thing for you

no, this has no integration with twitter

no, you don't actually own the tweet, the origial twitter account is still in control and can literally just delete the tweet away

bonus points: a website is in control of the creation of these objects, if they wanted to, they could forge tweets from anyone

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ymgve posted:

no, you don't actually own the tweet, the origial twitter account is still in control and can literally just delete the tweet away

bonus points: a website is in control of the creation of these objects, if they wanted to, they could forge tweets from anyone

NFTs of tweets that no longer exist or never existed increase exponentially in value. That exponent is -i.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Is there any interest in buying an NFT of the original JPEG I got off google image search when making my avatar? Because I could use 5 million dollars right about now, only serious applicants please.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have the original as well, but I'm selling it for $4.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So what's stopping someone from just flooding the blockchain with bogus NFTs to make bitcoin even more cumbersome to use?

... asking for a friend.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

going to make an NFT of me pissing directly into a bitcoin farm

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Collateral Damage posted:

So what's stopping someone from just flooding the blockchain with bogus NFTs to make bitcoin even more cumbersome to use?

... asking for a friend.

Just fyi, all this nft action happens on the ethereum blockchain, so bitcoin isnt involved this time

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

going to make an NFT of me pissing directly into a bitcoin farm

Andy Warhol did it already

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

Just fyi, all this nft action happens on the ethereum blockchain, so bitcoin isnt involved this time

Ah, so you also have to pay $10-15 in gas prices as well to get these NTF's. What a steal!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ah, so you also have to pay $10-15 in gas prices as well to get these NTF's. What a steal!

Thanks Obama :rolleyes:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ymgve posted:

Oh right. Well, same same.

I've seen a lot of worry on Twitter about people tagging NFT generators on people's content and creating tokens for themselves, but if I understand this correctly, isn't NFT in this case basically like going into a gallery and slapping a post-it with your signature over the artist's? Unless they've agreed that a scribbled post-it is proof of ownership, nobody is going to care about it?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
No it's more like a certificate of authenticity, and it's the future of art and collectable goods.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

only just read about beeple's 6 million loving dollar sale and his NFT poo poo and it all sounds like psychobable. Who the gently caress are these people who pay millions for these blockchain "tokenized" tweets? like what the gently caress?????

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Been thinking of saying "buttcoin" but I don't know if I'm powerful enough... what if I gently caress it up? and someone tokenizes my failure and mines it onto the blockchain?? and all the cool bitcoins gather around and laugh at me??? that would be awful!

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ymgve posted:

So is there just one layer on top of the Ethereum blockchain that all of these NFTs exist on, or is each one of these NFT issuers scrambling to make their own independent layer on top of Ethereum (and thus multiple issuers are issuing different NFTs for the same subject material)?

(This is dumb either way, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how dumb)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

So is there just one layer on top of the Ethereum blockchain that all of these NFTs exist on, or is each one of these NFT issuers scrambling to make their own independent layer on top of Ethereum (and thus multiple issuers are issuing different NFTs for the same subject material)?

(This is dumb either way, but I'm trying to figure out exactly how dumb)

I imagine they are all making ERC20 coins on the ETH blockchain.

All that really is just just a specific smart contract in an agreed upon format (the ERC20 format) that other people looking at the ETH ledger can all look at and understand.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DLC Inc posted:

only just read about beeple's 6 million loving dollar sale and his NFT poo poo and it all sounds like psychobable. Who the gently caress are these people who pay millions for these blockchain "tokenized" tweets? like what the gently caress?????

it’s money laundering op

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
art sales already was full of money laundering, but with blockchain

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammerite posted:

Been thinking of saying "buttcoin" but I don't know if I'm powerful enough... what if I gently caress it up? and someone tokenizes my failure and mines it onto the blockchain?? and all the cool bitcoins gather around and laugh at me??? that would be awful!

If you gently caress it up i will be right there ready to tokenize it and sell it on the laffchain, it's a vicious world OP

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hammerite posted:

Well good news friend I have a new postchain you can get in the ICO for: buttecoin

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Ad by Khad posted:

art sales already was full of money laundering, but with blockchain

Plus you can now sell anybody else's art on the blockchain without their express permission. Progress!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Nobody is putting 6 million real dollars into this garbage. It's all ethereum getting moved about.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh right. Well, same same.

I've seen a lot of worry on Twitter about people tagging NFT generators on people's content and creating tokens for themselves, but if I understand this correctly, isn't NFT in this case basically like going into a gallery and slapping a post-it with your signature over the artist's? Unless they've agreed that a scribbled post-it is proof of ownership, nobody is going to care about it?

I've just created a hash of this post, bids start at $1000

Verification: CB020E5AAD2C688A467AFCFD8B02C90D818BB9720E1D0BA45607EBA869A94B1E

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I own goatse. Not because of any NFT, it's my rear end

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shouldn't you be telling us to buy Bitcorn and laugh at the nocoiners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Hammerite posted:

If you're not comfortable saying "buttcoin" you can ease into it by saying things like Dunning-Krugerrands and Pedo Pesos.