Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gh0stpinballa posted:

i'm not particularly fond of anyone from the aristocracy but I have a hunch that in addition to the racism, harry and Meghan also discovered something especially horrifying pertaining to Andrew or Diana's death that convinced them they needed to get the gently caress out of Dodge.

Harry has said as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Marzzle posted:

what was the end goal?

the official reason you'll find reported is to show the artistic power of the US against the Soviet's but the unstated reason is most definitely to undermine the domestic left in some way.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Inverted Icon posted:

I've gotten push back on this before. Like, how is mass advertising real then? I get around this by saying that Some psychology is fake

everyone who works in tech knows that advertising is a complete scam but the entire economic order rests on it and rent is still due so yes sir, our nps score is indeed trending up, customers love the increased price and decreased service

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
artificial intelligence in marketing has absolutely created a fake reality that just feeds off of its own excrement.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Harry has said as much

What did he say? Assuming it is incredibly vague

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Inverted Icon posted:

This is because many on many results from psychology experiments are not reproducible. As well, commonly accepted data processing techniques have been used to prove things like 'drinking ovaltine makes you younger'.

Also can someone say more about this? I'd like to know

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
https://www.wsj.com/articles/jeffrey-epsteins-new-york-townhouse-to-sell-for-roughly-50-million-11614806651

Someone bought epstein's Manhattan house

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Danger posted:

artificial intelligence in marketing has absolutely created a fake reality that just feeds off of its own excrement.

it's pretty funny

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Happy Thread posted:

Also can someone say more about this? I'd like to know

google the convenience sample

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Mar 6, 2021

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009

taqueso posted:

What did he say? Assuming it is incredibly vague

"In the interview, which is titled Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special, Harry is asked why he and Meghan decided to step down from the British royal family in January 2020 and move to North America with their 1-year-old son Archie Mountbatten Windsor. In his response, Harry seemed to reference his mother’s death in 1997 as a result of the media attention around her and the paparazzi. As royals followers remember, Diana was killed in a car accident on August 31, 1997, after she and her driver were chased by the paparazzi and crashed in a tunnel in Paris.

“My biggest concern was history repeating itself,” Harry told Oprah referencing his mother’s death. He continued, “For me, I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here, talking to you with my wife by my side. Because I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for her [Diana] going through this process by herself all those years ago. Because it has been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we have each other.”"
https://stylecaster.com/prince-harry-princess-diana-death-repeat-meghan-markle/

I think the interview airs this week so guessing this is from one of the clips released.
As much as the tv show The Crown is apologia I did think it was pretty wild that the last Diana scene of the season ends with Prince Philip threatening Diana if she tries to divorce Charles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4AoTGpvF1w&t=114s

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

... Which was formerly Les Wexner's house. Himself a weirdo and Total Freak

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Atrocious Joe posted:

I remember this Chronicle of Higher Education article went into some of the ideological agenda behind CIA support for the Iowa Writer's Workshop, but it's paywalled for me now

https://www.chronicle.com/article/how-iowa-flattened-literature/

Found a quote from it in another article, that sort of summarizes it.

https://www.openculture.com/2018/12/cia-helped-shaped-american-creative-writing-famous-iowa-writers-workshop.html

basically the young advertising execs and lawyers in the early CIA funded art they thought was good, and more concerned with inner lives than the wider world. So it could show that the US could produce stuff of artistic merit, and funnel artists into forms that didn't outright challenge the capitalist system.

since much of it wasn't openly praising capitalism, it was a more elegant form of propaganda.

There's a really good book about this called "Who Paid The Piper" (or "The Cultural Cold War", depending on the edition) by Frances Stonor Saunders that goes into a ton of detail about the CIA's influence on the arts from 1947-1967

edit: sorry, didn't realise this was already linked a page or two ago

Danger - Octopus! has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Mar 8, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is anybody watching allen vs farrow?
i cracked pinged hard in ep3 when they revealed that a yale child abuse taskforce intervened in the investigation, interviewed the victim 9 times in 3 months, deemed her not credible, delivered the findings to woody allen - not the ct state police they were nominally working for, destroyed all interview notes and claimed that was sop for child abuse cases, and gave woody permission to hold a press conference on the front steps of their institute.

then when a nyc social worker wouldnt let it go the city fired him and he won his job back in court after years of fighting finally.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

nut
Jul 30, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Real hurthling! posted:

is anybody watching allen vs farrow?
i cracked pinged hard in ep3 when they revealed that a yale child abuse taskforce intervened in the investigation, interviewed the victim 9 times in 3 months, deemed her not credible, delivered the findings to woody allen - not the ct state police they were nominally working for, destroyed all interview notes and claimed that was sop for child abuse cases, and gave woody permission to hold a press conference on the front steps of their institute.

then when a nyc social worker wouldnt let it go the city fired him and he won his job back in court after years of fighting finally.

yeah it was a colossal ethics violation(s) as well as bad since they only should had interviewed her once and not give her further trauma with all the interviews , there is a reason why child advocacy centers exists now, it’s real sickening hearing the girl talk about what happened

animist
Aug 28, 2018

The Saucer Hovers posted:

google the convenience sample

hate to be the "evidence" guy but could use a little more material than this to refute all of modern psychology

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

animist posted:

hate to be the "evidence" guy but could use a little more material than this to refute all of modern psychology

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/basics/replication-crisis

The big one is a whole lot of the priming papers which forms the justification for poo poo like implicit bias training are complete garbage

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/rabble-rouser/201602/are-most-published-social-psychology-findings-false

cagliostr0 has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Mar 9, 2021

animist
Aug 28, 2018
cool, ty. will give those a read

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's a known and admitted problem a lot of psych research uses psychology students and anyone who sees the notice asking for participants on a college bulletin board, which means you end up with hypotheses that apply to majority white, middle to upper class students but are difficult to generalize to people who don't fit that description. It's not all BS, but results have a distinct bias in addition to what cagliostr0 shared.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

GWBBQ posted:

It's a known and admitted problem a lot of psych research uses psychology students and anyone who sees the notice asking for participants on a college bulletin board, which means you end up with hypotheses that apply to majority white, middle to upper class students but are difficult to generalize to people who don't fit that description. It's not all BS, but results have a distinct bias in addition to what cagliostr0 shared.

a lot of psych programs actually give undergrads a certain number of credits they must achieve by volunteering in case you were wondering what kind of mindset someone is in while doing the task

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
It wouldn't. People would say there was a deeper problem and that's why blacks/jews/catholics/liberals need to be put in jail.

The Warren Commission put the most clear and thoroughly research evidence of JFK's Assassination and people to this don't believe Oswald acted alone.
The 9/11 Commission gives the clearest explanation of what happened that day, 9/11 Truthers still believe to this day the government did it/used missiles.

This isn't an argument for inaction on prosecution but there is a lot of magical thinking in QAnon hates "the powerful" -> ready for leftist thought. It is more QAnon wants people to blame, liberals are very powerful, therefore liberals did this.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

papa horny michael posted:

It wouldn't. People would say there was a deeper problem and that's why blacks/jews/catholics/liberals need to be put in jail.

The Warren Commission put the most clear and thoroughly research evidence of JFK's Assassination and people to this don't believe Oswald acted alone.
The 9/11 Commission gives the clearest explanation of what happened that day, 9/11 Truthers still believe to this day the government did it/used missiles.

This isn't an argument for inaction on prosecution but there is a lot of magical thinking in QAnon hates "the powerful" -> ready for leftist thought. It is more QAnon wants people to blame, liberals are very powerful, therefore liberals did this.

lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lol the Warren report being held as a standard for anything, I'm wheezing

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

source your quotes

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that's an intensely d&d quote, i don't think we need the source to know where it came from

nut
Jul 30, 2019

whoa who bought chomsky an account

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

nut posted:

whoa who bought chomsky an account

his cia handlers

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

the Warren report! the loving, WARREN REPORT, people

lmao endlessly

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oswald really did shoot JFK. The funny thing is that Jimmy Carter looked into it, and the CIA told him that it was a rogue FBI agent.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the cia and fbi stopped doing bad things and no no's after the church committee report

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chamale posted:

Oswald really did shoot JFK. The funny thing is that Jimmy Carter looked into it, and the CIA told him that it was a rogue FBI agent.

I think it's plausible that Oswald fired at least one shot.

He probably could not have been the sole assassin or he would have begun firing when the motorcade was traveling slowly down Houston St. directly toward his window, for around 60-90 seconds. The reason to wait was to establish multiple firing angles in Dealey Plaza, one of which fired the headshot* from the knoll/tracks area.

a doc named Charles Crenshaw wrote a book later in life, he was one of the surgeons operating on Kennedy (and also, curiously, on Oswald six days later), and he swore up and down that both the throat wound and the head wound were entrance wounds from the front.

and then there's all the other things, too.

*It was probably a man named Chuck Rogers, a wetwork mercenary and CIA asset, but that's likely unprovable now, unless somebody fuckin took notes on a criminal fuckin conspiracy, and they're sitting somewhere to be declassified in a million years or whatever.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the 9/11 commission ftmfw lol

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Oswald was at worst one of the shooters and at best an FBI informant meant to take the fall for the operation

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the 9 "saudi what? who?" /11 commission

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

paul_soccer12 posted:

the 9 "saudi what? who?" /11 commission

The 9/11 'suspicious trading patterns in the hours leading up to the attack are not Germain to the enquiry' report

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

it’s absolutely insane to think that the us wasn’t complicit in some way with 9/11

I demand papa horny michael return to answer for that nonsense

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
It was a copy paste from a Cursed Other Subforum with an Ampersand, working to classify those who doubt the official Epstein narrative as Qanon Alt Right Nazi-Adjacents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Tubgoat posted:

So no aliens, just sociopathic child rapists that are genetically-indistinguishable from homo sapiens?

Sorry to jump back to UFOs but this post jogged my memory. Richard Doty wasn't the only USAF man promoting belief in alien UFOs in the 1980s. Retired Colonel Wendelle C. Stevens was the American promoter for Swiss contactee/saucer cultist Billy Meier, publishing large format collections of Meier's saucer photos and using his military background and time as an APRO investigator in Tucson to lend credence to Meier's claims of contact with space intelligences. At one point he had the world's largest private collection of purported UFO images, with over 5,000 in his archive.

He was also a convicted child molester. Now, maybe this was unrelated to his work promoting a flying saucer cult for American audiences ... maybe. But it brings to mind Jacques Vallee's writings on the potential use of saucer cults as laboratories for intelligence work. Meier of course held that Stevens had been set up and that his alien friends had done their own investigation that cleared him:

quote:

It is also true that Wendelle Stevens was maliciously and innocently sent to prison for allegedly sexually assaulting children, which was a lie and deceit, but he has not been rehabilitated to date. You Plejars, i.e. you Ptaah, together with your daughter Semjase, and you, Quetzal, you investigated extremely meticulously at that time with regard to the accusations against Wendelle regarding the alleged sexual abuse of minors. You investigated and clarified everything so thoroughly in detail that it was almost exaggerated, but you could not find anything that could indicate any misconduct on the part of Wendelle with regard to the accusations made against him. But you were not the only ones to find out the truth about this, because earthlings also looked into the accusations against Wendelle and found that they could not be true, as can be seen from many letters still on the Internet today.

Stevens passed away in 2010. Billy Meier is still kicking at 84 at his compound in the Swiss countryside, supported by people from all over the world who make pilgrimage to volunteer as labor for his farm/saucer center.

One of Meier's very convincing saucer photos.

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Mar 10, 2021