Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Chamale posted:

Another example of the dangers of radium

:nfpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

got it to work ur apple apostrophe broke the forums thanks this is to cartoon man i dunno why i quoted myself

radium :argh:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hilario Baldness posted:

Holy loving poo poo. That could have been a catastrophe.

:yikes:

We have a better one for these situations

:ohno:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chamale posted:

Another example of the dangers of radium

lmao

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

If the plutonium pellets come close enough to each other they go critical. They are shaped like rods to prevent enough mass to be close enough to each other to cause a runaway chain reaction. If they had a more compact shape such as a sphere they would go critical. The pellets can easily roll and touch touch each other due to bad (even worse) handling and thereby cause a criticality event that will likely kill people.

Edit: I never thought about it before but you could make a plutonium musket ball or possibly rifle round that would cause a criticality event when it hits the target.

Boy let me tell you about how the first nuclear weapons were designed! They were in fact, a gun where you had two sub-critical masses of Uranium and you fired one into the other and squeezing them together in the right shape made them supercritical and then BOOM!

In all seriousness though, if you want a fantastically explained intro to Nuclear Weapons and how it all works, SA's own resident illectro a.k.a. Scott Manley's "Going Nuclear" series is amazing. Here's the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWWjbnAVFKA

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

we like expensive catastrophes where nobody gets hurt, right

https://i.imgur.com/wtCuGKs.mp4

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kith posted:

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

Edit: I never thought about it before but you could make a plutonium musket ball or possibly rifle round that would cause a criticality event when it hits the target.

DelphiAegis beat me to it, but this was almost literally how the bomb dropped on Hiroshima in WW2 worked (a "gun type" weapon). It used Uranium-235, not plutonium, though.

Nagasaki was a different beast - that was an "implosion" type - basically what all nuclear weapons have used since - where a single, subcritical mass of plutonium, is compressed all at once into a critical mass by being surrounded by very carefully shaped high explosive "lenses", which, when exploded, compress the plutonium close enough that it goes boom.

Read Command and Control by Eric Schlosser if you want to know quite how much duct tape and baling wire used to be used in nuclear weapons. Some of the safety wtfs are incredible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

lmao the little anti-roll safety nubs

"yeah that'll do it"

They would certainly help. The problem is that the anti-roll nubs are on the steel storage tubes (top row). When the plutonium rods (bottom row) are outside the storage tubes then the engineered safety margins are no longer in place and an accidental criticality excursion becomes very possible.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

shame on an IGA posted:

This non-glowing plutonium is substantially more dangerous and this photo prompted congressional hearings. Can you spot the problem?

I forget, WHY did somebody feel the need to stage this, what could have been one of the last things they ever saw?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wtCuGKs.mp4

That last guy getting out from between the counterweights - yikes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Oh gently caress, they just wanted to show how nice they looked.

Repeated safety lapses hobble LANL’s work on U.S. nuclear warhead cores

article posted:

It then set in motion a calamity of a different sort: Virtually all of the Los Alamos engineers tasked with keeping workers safe from criticality incidents decided to quit, having become frustrated by the sloppy work demonstrated by the 2011 event and what they considered the lab management’s callousness about nuclear risks and its desire to put its own profits above safety.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Uranium glass doesn't belong in the OSHA thread as it's totally safe.
:goonsay:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

Uranium glass doesn't belong in the OSHA thread as it's totally safe.
:goonsay:

You can cut yourself on it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

kalleth posted:

Read Command and Control by Eric Schlosser if you want to know quite how much duct tape and baling wire used to be used in nuclear weapons. Some of the safety wtfs are incredible.

I think my favorite is still that for Trinity, they for some reason had someone stay with the bomb at the top of the tower to "guard" it overnight before the test and the dude who designed the mechanism that made sure all the explosive "lenses" detonated right got the short straw.

A thunderstorm rolled in that night, so he was up in a little shack at the top of a tower in the middle of nothing with a bomb of a type that had never been detonated before, and he also new enough about the trigger mechanism to know that a lighting strike could set it off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are we still posting scary radioactive things?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

My pet theory as to why radiation is culturally shown as green:

Now, most 'natural' radioactive things (uranium ore) are boring colors: black, grey metal, or clear (radon, I guess). So where did we get 'green'? Well, Cerenkov radiation is blue, so that's at least a color. That's made when radioactive decay occurs in a medium such as water (or the viewer's eyeballs, in the case of the Demon Core).

Now, what color is pee? What happens when you pee yellow on a weird warm rock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium_radioluminescence

Copper‐doped zinc sulphide was an early phosphor that creates classic green glow when stimulated.

Zudgemud posted:

Popular Mechanics, July 1961

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

woulda been a helluva lot scarier 7 half-lives ago

at this point "drop and run" would actually make a difference

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Platystemon posted:

... how do you prevent it from going off when you shoot it?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

[

dang, good thing worldwide production is around 270mg/yr

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess you could structure the bullet in a way that it's rigid when being pushed from behind, but collapses when the tip hits something firmer than air.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Karia posted:

... how do you prevent it from going off when you shoot it?

Thinking about baseball helps.

Unless you think about catchers' asses, then maybe not so much.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"I mean you'll still die, but it'll make it easier to recover your body."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Copper‐doped zinc sulphide was an early phosphor that creates classic green glow when stimulated.

Depending on which isotope they're referring to, the critical mass is 5-10 kg, so it's one hell of a bullet.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Slugnoid posted:

Thankfully nowadays you wouldn't get an occupancy permit for a house without a safety switch or the concrete slab being earthed, but in older houses you just never know whether there's 240 volts flowing through the rebar under your feet lol.

Couple of pages back, but...

...my parents had some electrical rework recently in connection with enclosing the porch etc. etc.

...the electrician found a 240v wire that had previously been connected to a window air conditioning unit just hanging out live under the house.

My father said "I dunno how many times I've been crawling under the house in the last 40 years but thank God, I guess."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Reminded me of this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

WW3 would have featured nukes being fired at targets only a mile or two away at most.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Lone Badger posted:

"I mean you'll still die, but it'll make it easier to recover your body."

If you pick it up and hold it at arms length, and your arms are 1 meter long, you have 6 minutes 56 seconds to "DROP & RUN" before you leave the "probably survive" window of radiation exposure and enter the "50% chance you die painfully" window.

If you hold it up to your chest to squint at it and read it, it's like 15 seconds or some poo poo.

That's a helluva fuckin source.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cojawfee posted:

I want one as a keychain fob.

Edit: Label it something absurd like K-40, 4685 picoCuries and put a tiny chunk of banana in it for the radioactive potassium.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 10, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you collapsed and died on top of that source, what would your body be like? I assume it wouldn't be able to decay by normal processes, would it just slowly desiccate and mummify?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
A friend of mine used to work as a handyman and one day, when changing a water meter, almost got killed by this beauty:

https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.90...990&oe=6048B9F3

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

I believe the primary concern is that Pu is a good alpha emitter, which means it spews heavy particles at (relatively) low speeds, which wreck the poo poo out of the insides of people when ingested.
Great, so don't eat Plutonium you say. The usual uptake of alpha emitters happens via breathing and accidental ingestion of airborne particles. Bad stuff.

Anyone starting work at the Hanford site is required to undergo a whole-body count, which just determines the base activity of your body before you start working there. You get another one at the end of your employment contract.
The process takes 20-60 minutes, depending on the precise scan performed. The scans are performed in giant copper chambers with ~1.5 ft walls made from pre-1945 copper. It's very quiet in there.

If uptake of alpha emitters is suspected, the first step is to poo poo in a bag and submit it for examination.

Yeah, radiation protective suits don’t really shield you from radiation, so much as they prevent inhalation and ingestion of particles, and stop particles sticking in your hair etc.

I mean they shield you from alpha and beta particles, but normal clothes pretty much do that. Also effective against UV radiation!

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

RedSnapper posted:

A friend of mine used to work as a handyman and one day, when changing a water meter, almost got killed by this beauty:

https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.90...990&oe=6048B9F3

every thing is electric and wants to kill you.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Platystemon posted:

Gangster movies in the future will be three minutes long

"Say hello to Sonny when you see him in hell"

*Nuclear explosion as credits play*

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
When they say "exceeding rare and expensive" they are under selling it. It would cost $189 million just for the 7 grams of californium to use for the bullet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

xtal posted:

When they say "exceeding rare and expensive" they are under selling it. It would cost $189 million just for the 7 grams of californium to use for the bullet.

You must be new to military spending.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, it'd cost about a billion dollars just for the raw material, and somehow 800 million of that would end up in LockMart's hands.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

i like that not only will you need bullets costing such an absurd amount, but that you also have to build the six-shooter yourself

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

i like that not only will you need bullets costing such an absurd amount, but that you also have to build the six-shooter yourself

Plus you could probably never reload it, it would be like those cheap guns you just throw away when empty in Borderlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Plus you could probably never reload it, it would be like those cheap guns you just throw away when empty in Borderlands.

Explodes when reloaded :torgue: