Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

wow that is a game-changer. Yea I'm outside the room where I assume the main boss is, as the game is telling me "hey there is something big and bad behind this door are you ready??"

I'll turn up the EXP and grind a little. Not to level 15, but probably closer to 10-12.

One habit I got into from P5 is diving into dungeons as soon as they become available, so I got plenty of time and I may even leave and buy more items/ fuse some Personas before I take on the final boss.

I'd just try fighting the boss before grinding. Maybe you can already beat it and if not, you'll at least know what personas to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Also, are you playing on Hard or Normal? I tried the first dungeon on the former but changed it before the boss because I realized that I was just making fights four times as long, except for those that would instant kill me, those I'd have to out-number (aka grind), which takes four times longer, so naw, that's not a sensible level of challenge.

On Normal everything was fine, though I did put some extra rounds through the first dungeon in to learn the ropes and get more Personas (because you barely have a selection at the start). After that, I never had to grind again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Badger of Basra posted:

Daredevil is an incredible song, holy poo poo

Huh, I actually found it a bit lackluster compared to the other new tracks/remixes. Last Surprise is fantastic, Axe to Grind is great, Ray of Light is decent enough, and Blooming Villain/Rivers in the Desert are as good as always. Daredevil was the weakest of the bunch for me.

Harrow posted:

I think I was probably level 10 or 11 for that boss on my latest playthrough, something like that. One thing that really helps on that boss is fusing a persona with Media.

Also, the boss is going to use a ton of fire attacks, and that's Chie's weakness, so remember that if a character is guarding, they cover their weakness. I don't remember exactly what the boss's pattern is but I think its big fire attack is predictable so you can have Chie guard when it's coming up.

One nice thing in Golden's PC version is that you can change the difficulty at any time on a pretty granular level. You can even turn up EXP/money gain without adjusting the rest of the difficulty if you've gotten to the end of the dungeon and feel like you need a couple more levels before you take on the boss or things like that.

Heck I think the Fire attack being predictable is a Golden addition. In the original I think they can whip it out whenever.

Golden made the early bosses (which were super rough) much more manageable without neutering their difficulty.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

What floor are you on? There are minibosses as well that I think you get that warning for.

I might be before the mini-boss then. I am on floor...5 or 6?

Also I am playing on normal, but honestly some of my deaths might be because I was playing like I had level 90 characters from my Persona 5R endgame run that could just absorb a ton of damage and I didn't realize how quickly my (or my teammates) health was depleting.

Oh man am I missing the baton pass so much too. "One More" just isn't the same if I can't chain attack's together with my teammates to exploit weaknesses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I might be before the mini-boss then. I am on floor...5 or 6?

Yeah that's the miniboss then. I was wondering because I'm pretty sure getting to the actual boss while still level 7 would require skipping a lot of fights along the way.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Oh man am I missing the baton pass so much too. "One More" just isn't the same if I can't chain attack's together with my teammates to exploit weaknesses.

Definitely agree. If I could mod baton pass into P4G I'd be very happy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The castle is probably the hardest part of P4 vanilla just because you don't have a full party, or any persona, or money or items or anything yet

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. I find the early game dungeons are the hardest in general, especially playing on harder difficulties. Once you get some good persona choice and abilities in your toolkit, the game gets easier.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a Persona you can get that has an immunity to fire (Senri.)

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah the hardest part of P4G is Yukikos castle and the boss that spawns in there after your first time through it. It's a bit weird that the third (?) boss of the game is twice as hard as anything else in the game.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
That scans with my playthru of P4G from last month (slightly rushed so I could dive into Strikers). The first dungeon's boss killed me no less than 3 times, then I barely managed to scrape by the second boss ("Chie missed the hit that would have killed him, but then he decided to drain my SP on his turn so I hit him with my sword."), and then after that it was relatively smooth sailing. Somewhere between the 4th and 5th dungeons the group became "Three Jocks with Power Charge and a 4th person throwing items and healing around".

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Daredevil is an incredible song, holy poo poo

:yeah: I downloaded the soundtrack and listened to that one on repeat for like an hour last week.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Yeah the hardest part of P4G is Yukikos castle and the boss that spawns in there after your first time through it. It's a bit weird that the third (?) boss of the game is twice as hard as anything else in the game.

Hardest boss all game? I dunno, maybe.

Even if she is #1, I think Shdow Mitsuo is a close second for me. True, once you know the trick it helps a lot but still trying to deal damage at just the right times so he's just a baby with no shell formed at all when he reaches the various phases of the fight is annoying as hell. Also his insta death bullshit wiped me my first run.

But as always, the hardest part of One More system is the fact you have to do loving everything. That's why the dungeons and bosses are hadest in early game, because you have to do buffs, debuffs and attacks all on your own.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 9, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I set Teddie up as my Buff/Debuff Boy and ice mage.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Teddie warms the bench.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I set Teddie up as my Buff/Debuff Boy and ice mage.

As did I in my last run but it takes a decent while for him to join.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

But as always, the hardest part of One More system is the fact you have to do loving everything. That's why the dungeons and bosses are hadest in early game, because you have to do buffs, debuffs and attacks all on your own.

This is why Baton Pass is so great and I really hope it's carried forward as a core part of the One More system in future Persona games. It's so freeing to be able to pass the extra turns around.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

NikkolasKing posted:

Hardest boss all game? I dunno, maybe.

Even if she is #1, I think Shdow Mitsuo is a close second for me. True, once you know the trick it helps a lot but still trying to deal damage at just the right times so he's just a baby with no shell formed at all when he reaches the various phases of the fight is annoying as hell. Also his insta death bullshit wiped me my first run.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was thinking of the boss that spawns in the castle after Yukiko, the king miniboss. I repeatedly wiped there despite having every buff and debuff going and eventually I just turned on retry in combat and left it on for the rest of the game. Never came up again except for maybe once against an instakill from a random encounter.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Pringle King is just a level check. All the other end of dungeon optional bosses are doable right after their dungeons but he is tuned a fair bit higher for some reason. Just come back after you finish Dungeon 2.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The Pringle King is a little more than a level check, that’s a real nasty trick he pulls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The trick did make me laugh, though

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think Pringles King is the only bonus boss that pulls that kind of bullshit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Finished P4G! Just above 100 hours. We really enjoyed it except for some extremely cringe scenes, mostly involving Yosuke.

We didn't end up doing a lot of things we had planned (Rise to 10, spend more time with Ai who my wife really liked, finish all sidequests, finish Nanako or Dojima so that the former gets more attention from the latter), but I had actually kind of assumed that there'd be more time once the semi-final dungeon unlocked, and not that you'd have to finish that in one day, and also the final final one. Doesn't really matter tho.

Did the final final boss at Level 73, mostly with the power of Up- and Downdoots. I don't think that's very uncommon, extremely strong Persona.

Great music for that fight, and what a design.

Now to take a well-deserved Persona break, and then...maybe P5R NG+, or even Strikers??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Simply Simon posted:

Finished P4G! Just above 100 hours. We really enjoyed it except for some extremely cringe scenes, mostly involving Yosuke.

We didn't end up doing a lot of things we had planned (Rise to 10, spend more time with Ai who my wife really liked, finish all sidequests, finish Nanako or Dojima so that the former gets more attention from the latter), but I had actually kind of assumed that there'd be more time once the semi-final dungeon unlocked, and not that you'd have to finish that in one day, and also the final final one. Doesn't really matter tho.

Did the final final boss at Level 73, mostly with the power of Up- and Downdoots. I don't think that's very uncommon, extremely strong Persona.

Great music for that fight, and what a design.

Now to take a well-deserved Persona break, and then...maybe P5R NG+, or even Strikers??
By doots do you mean trumpeter? Because I always said "doot" out loud every time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Same

Final doot and now you die

Edit: also your wife is correct, Ai owns

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ai is very good. Honestly almost all of the non-party member school links are good, though I'm eh on Band/Drama.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strength seems like they wrote Kou as the only one you could go with and much later on figured to split it like Sun, because Daisuke's SL is not nearly as good as Kou's.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Naoki's is the best of the school pals. Really hope the dude has a good one since he is probably not going to get a small reference in a future game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The nurse is kind of not great, Eiri is actually pretty good but I don't think a lot of people hang with her. The Tutored kid is just sad, but also boring, I'm glad I forgot to do it my first playthrough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

Strength seems like they wrote Kou as the only one you could go with and much later on figured to split it like Sun, because Daisuke's SL is not nearly as good as Kou's.

I actually much preferred Daisuke's, probably because it's more relatable (though I feel like they were building up to a big coming out that never happened). Since Koromaru is just 'fluffy funtime', the Twins aren't much of a Link and Yuko is kinda just there, he ends up being my favourite Strength link in terms of 'actual story in the link'.

A Bystander posted:

Naoki's is the best of the school pals. Really hope the dude has a good one since he is probably not going to get a small reference in a future game.

Naoki is really good and yeah, it's a shame that he'll never really get much time in future bits because it's a quietly great link about grief, I found it more poignant than the Death link.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

One unintuitive tip for the first end dungeon boss of Persona 4 Golden is just bench Chie. That extra turn that Shadow Yukiko gets is much more painful than letting "Forever Guarding" Chie sit out.

I think you can do the boss relatively comfortably around level...9 or so since you should gain access to fire-immune Senri

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Artelier posted:

One unintuitive tip for the first end dungeon boss of Persona 4 Golden is just bench Chie. That extra turn that Shadow Yukiko gets is much more painful than letting "Forever Guarding" Chie sit out.

I think you can do the boss relatively comfortably around level...9 or so since you should gain access to fire-immune Senri

Pretty sure you can't edit your party at that point.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Arist posted:

Pretty sure you can't edit your party at that point.

Ah, maybe I am misremembering what I did in my playthrough last year then. There's a chance I just let Chie Guard forever until she died and didn't bother to heal or revive her. I really did do that fight essentially without Chie though!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tower has one of the more outright surreal moments in P4 in the form of the birthday party.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

The nurse is kind of not great, Eiri is actually pretty good but I don't think a lot of people hang with her. The Tutored kid is just sad, but also boring, I'm glad I forgot to do it my first playthrough.

Is it just my imagination and P5's influence affecting my memory, or did it randomly imply that Yu slept with her or something during one of the fade to blacks? I remember being a bit befuddled by that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That was awful, that would've been more embarrassing then having nobody show up.

I think she was supposed to be teasing Yu, but sex was the interpretation Giant Bomb had, and that's much funnier

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 10, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Tower has one of the more outright surreal moments in P4 in the form of the birthday party.

I completely forget that, do tell. :allears:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Acerbatus posted:

Is it just my imagination and P5's influence affecting my memory, or did it randomly imply that Yu slept with her or something during one of the fade to blacks? I remember being a bit befuddled by that.

there's implications but doing that is actively the worst choice because it gives you less points.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Kid has nobody show up at his party, so MC calls the gang to hang out with him. It's supposed to be like uplifting but it feels so loving sad. Sorry your such a loser kid, don't worry I'll call a bunch of people you've never met and throw a pity party

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Acerbatus posted:

It's Tower Boy's birthday, and he has no one to celebrate it with besides Yu.

Yu calls in a cake from Yosuke and this somehow leads to the entire party including Teddie showing up to the kids room to celebrate because apparently they have nothing better to do at 9 PM on a Saturday. It's super, super awkward - not helped by the fact that it's basically only Chie and Yukiko talking with the rest remaining dead silent except for a genuinely funny moment where everyone calls Tower Kid stupid.

Then the lights go out for some reason and your party beats the poo poo out of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The part where everyone called him stupid was good enough to make up for the awkwardness though IMO.