Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oxyclean posted:

That said I have zero interest in "no but parry tho."

S A M E, I played 1 as a giant man with huge armor and huger arms and it was a great time, no you have to always roll flippy iframe poo poo is boring to me unless the game is specifically designed for that like Sekiro or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

the "shields engender passivity" thing from the Bloodborne shield makes me salty. Yeah no poo poo, you'd hide behind a shield too when every other stupid enemy has a dumb rear end flail attack that interrupts you.

That said, I sort of get the evolution way from shields, I had a lot more fun in DS3 when I went ultra greatsword and just used brute force to annihilate things rather then the "agi weapon and shield" stuff I did for almost all of 1 and 2.

That said I have zero interest in "no but parry tho."

I'm in this weird place with souls where I totally get why they're getting faster and flail-ier: it feels good, it's easy to picky up, and it strikes a balance of challenging and engaging without sacrificing gamefeel.

That having been said, I really miss DS1's big, slow, poise bros grunting and smacking each others' shields, and like 75% of my criticism of DS2-3 and Bloodborne is "It doesn't have enough big, slow, weighty poise combat." (The other 25% is "I don't like autotracking enemies, I'm sick of seeing that one flail animation in every single zone, and I hate encounters that are built around guys shooting at me from unreachable locations in every frigging other room.")

Although ironically enough a lot of what I liked about poise and shield-centric combat is what Sekiro focused on (albeit with parries and posture instead of shields), and Sekiro is one of those games where objectively, I think it probably deserves an 8 or 8.5/10, but subjectively I hated it, and couldn't motivate myself to finish.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm in this weird place with souls where I totally get why they're getting faster and flail-ier: it feels good, it's easy to picky up, and it strikes a balance of challenging and engaging without sacrificing gamefeel.

That having been said, I really miss DS1's big, slow, poise bros grunting and smacking each others' shields, and like 75% of my criticism of DS2-3 and Bloodborne is "It doesn't have enough big, slow, weighty poise combat." (The other 25% is "I don't like autotracking enemies, I'm sick of seeing that one flail animation in every single zone, and I hate encounters that are built around guys shooting at me from unreachable locations in every frigging other room.")

Although ironically enough a lot of what I liked about poise and shield-centric combat is what Sekiro focused on (albeit with parries and posture instead of shields), and Sekiro is one of those games where objectively, I think it probably deserves an 8 or 8.5/10, but subjectively I hated it, and couldn't motivate myself to finish.

DS2 definitely has lots of big slow weighty poise combat if you choose to do so. It's DS3 that goes Bloodborne-lite.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

3 is where they poached all the wrong parts of Bloodborne, every other enemy having some berserk chimp vortex blender, except you're not the player character from Bloodborne and don't have built in high agility or trick weapons or your guns.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Andrast posted:

DS2 definitely has lots of big slow weighty poise combat if you choose to do so. It's DS3 that goes Bloodborne-lite.

Yeah for sure, but 2 just didn't have the same gamefeel for me- it was fun, but 1's combat felt really deliberate and hit/counterhit-y in a way that I thought 2 lost when it made movement more fluid.

Then again I started with 1, so it's possible I'm just hitting that thing where the best souls game is the first one you play and what I'm thinking of as mechanical is just me having the confidence and experience to run up and smack dudes instead of being tactical.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember at the beginning of Super Castle Beast that woolie declared himself the most open minded, and the last year has hard proven that very wrongly.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tae posted:

I remember at the beginning of Super Castle Beast that woolie declared himself the most open minded, and the last year has hard proven that very wrongly.

I mean dealing with only Pat for a couple years probably doesn't do wonders for your thinking. :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neo_Crimson posted:

I mean dealing with only Pat for a couple years probably doesn't do wonders for your thinking. :shrug:
Woolie was always like this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tae posted:

Woolie the Mammoth.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

3 is where they poached all the wrong parts of Bloodborne, every other enemy having some berserk chimp vortex blender, except you're not the player character from Bloodborne and don't have built in high agility or trick weapons or your guns.

The Lothric knights in the first area of DS3 were everything wrong with modern Souls games distilled into a single enemy for me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Woolie was always like this.

No, I distinctly remember a lot of Woolie's weird digging-in habit happening after the break up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

No, I distinctly remember a lot of Woolie's weird digging-in habit happening after the break up.

Nope it was always there. The old podcast is also full of it. This isn't Pat corrupting poor Woolie or whatever you were being weird about. The man's always been just as broken brained as his co-host.

The fuckin Chemicals bit is from years ago at this point. You've just seen it more because time moves forward and as woolie talks more it happens more.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think part of it is that having multiple cohosts including Pat who, in addition to all of his foibles is weirdly enough the best of the original group at articulating his point in a clear and direct manner, meant that woolie could spent minutes at a time silently thinking about his point before bringing it up, and unless the diatribe was really funny he didn't go down many extended rabbit holes. But when he's the main host guy he needs to be awake and online at all times, and he isn't.

I get that this isn't an issue for everyone, but I find his post-SBFP content nearly unwatchable due to his bizarre manner of sleepy, pause-laden speech: the man cannot say "I think rollback netcode is cool." He needs to spend 2-3 minutes going "Uh, so, errr, I think that, okay, so, y'know how, you're playing online, so, you've got that thing where... <ten seconds of dead air> well, y'know what I mean, ya know? So in a condition such as that, except when it isn't, it, er, <five second pause>," and so on. That's a perfect place for Pat or someone else to jump in and go "So my dog did something gross today," and talk about furniture made out of human beings for however long it takes Woolie to gather his thoughts. But it never happens in his new stuff- his cohosts are all content to sit back and give him the 5-45 minutes he needs to say a few minutes of simple, often uninformed thoughts.

It also leaks into the podcast, and I genuinely don't know what the deal is there- I don't think he's frustrated with Pat, but the man seems incapable of allowing anyone who is not Woolie to speak. I stopped listening when Pat couldn't even get thirty seconds of relevant, interesting commentary in before Woolie interrupted him to ramble for five minutes about the exact same thing.

TL;DR I honestly don't think the dude's current thing is a good match for his skills. Really out of the four of them, the only one who seems to have found a perfect match is Pat- the dude was born to be a weirdo insane couch gremlin for the masses.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 8, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hard disagree. Woolie's produced a lot of great content - The Halo playthroughs, Dokapon Kingdom, Get Into Fighting Games, the Goemon LP, etc.

The people who watch Pat are fine watching Pat but it's the absolute lowest effort thing any of them are doing.

Also Liam absolutely found a good match for him - getting the gently caress away from things causing him anxiety and going back to school.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The boys are at their best with their SO's

Matt & Crymtina doing that PUA game was great. Same with the clothing review thing.
Pat & Paige we've all scene a million times and it's great
The one time I saw Woolie and Punch Mom doing that pixel art cthulu game was fun to.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every Matt and Liam joint has been gold too

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

when woolie's on he's absolutely on. the paper mario lp is godlike

when woolie is not on he is EXTREMELY not on

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Hard disagree. Woolie's produced a lot of great content - The Halo playthroughs, Dokapon Kingdom, Get Into Fighting Games, the Goemon LP, etc.

The people who watch Pat are fine watching Pat but it's the absolute lowest effort thing any of them are doing.

Also Liam absolutely found a good match for him - getting the gently caress away from things causing him anxiety and going back to school.

I can totally see people enjoying Woolie's stuff- I've never been a big streaming guy, so it's very possibly just me, but the sheer breadth and depth of his challenges as a public speaker are an instant dealbreaker. (Funnily enough I find Pat's streams just as unwatchable when he's alone- he and Paige doing and talking about weird bullshit are great, but alone the silence is deafening and the weird insincere babble is grating. He's great in the podcast though- that 2+ hour long vomit discussion across multiple podcasts was amazing.)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

woolie needs someone funny with him very badly. he's not unfunny but he has to be pulled out of his zone to get there. minh is too much of a human sandbag and littlev ends up powering up a lot of woolie's worse qualities

basically, god bless reggie

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

maybe it’s a hot take but I think they all need someone with them to make their streams tolerable. None of the former sbfp guys can really carry stuff solo in anything I’ve seen them do, which I guess makes sense because even though they’ve been making content forever it was mostly in a duo at the very least. Without them they’re prone to dead air and forgetting to even try to make jokes or be entertaining and just sort of mildly react to things

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I actually love Pat by himself which is something I'm very surprised by as I've never been one for solo LPs, but he's a genuinely funny and often thoughtful guy.

I think Woolie's best effort was definitely paper Mario but even that has some rough Stop And Talk segments. Kotor 2 was pretty good, but has some truly BRUTAL stop and talk. Stop and talk is like a cardinal sin for LP, you should almost never do it, And it's Woolie's favorite thing.

I should finish dokapon, I think I only ever got 10 episodes in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rody One Half posted:

I actually love Pat by himself which is something I'm very surprised by as I've never been one for solo LPs, but he's a genuinely funny and often thoughtful guy.

I think Woolie's best effort was definitely paper Mario but even that has some rough Stop And Talk segments. Kotor 2 was pretty good, but has some truly BRUTAL stop and talk. Stop and talk is like a cardinal sin for LP, you should almost never do it, And it's Woolie's favorite thing.

The compilations are the optimal way to watch dokapon imo

also Paper Mario is the best good LP Woolie has done but Goemon is definitely the best bad one

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FAVORITE GAME HUH? TOP 3?

Goemon was amazing.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

on the contrary, the big hits of the dokapon lp don't hit as hard if you werent there to see all the little hits along the way

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man, I'm legit suprised Pat didn't die laughing when he got contacted by QUANTIC DREAM for a partnered stream.

Patware posted:

when woolie's on he's absolutely on. the paper mario lp is godlike

when woolie is not on he is EXTREMELY not on

Patware posted:

woolie needs someone funny with him very badly. he's not unfunny but he has to be pulled out of his zone to get there. minh is too much of a human sandbag and littlev ends up powering up a lot of woolie's worse qualities

basically, god bless reggie

This is pretty much where I'm at. Though I think you're underselling Minh's ability to aggravate Woolie into being better. Dokapon was all of them on their game, but Minh's consistent shittery was what elevated it to an all time great.

Rody One Half posted:

Pat's legit the only solo LPer I consistently enjoy yeah. Even then it's better when Paige is heckling from the cheap seats.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've been enjoying Pat's Hitman streams a whole lot, because this game absolutely lights those particular parts of The Pat Brain on fire. It's basically a game custom designed to trap Pat for months.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I refuse to watch any souls videos of Woolie's but I will always, always stream his LPs with Little V. Wednesday is more Like a Dragon and watching them rules!!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

While 13 Sentinels encourages you to think about stuff Woolie's choice to do it midscene instead of the clear points it wants you to will forever mar that LP as unwatchable to me, and I love that game.

I think Batman has potential to be one of the good ones so far, as I'm enjoying it, but gonna have to see what happens when the real exploration side of things opens up to him.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
It was originally Pat that turned me away from the channel. I checked out Best Friends when they were first getting big, which was around the time that people like Pewdiepie were blowing up. I heard Pat yelling for like twenty seconds and gave up. It was much later when he was on Slowbeef's podcast that I found Pat to be pretty fun and really funny, so I decided to give the Friendcast clips a listen. I got to the segment where they were making GBS threads themselves over getting anime BluRays when I realized that Pat is actually just that passionate about his hobbies, as I couldn't imagine any big-name LPers actually giving that much of a poo poo about anime BluRays. Anyway, I think that Pat probably cares more about creating a watchable product than most streamers or LPers, even to his own detriment. He starts getting really pushy towards the end of SBFP's run when he doesn't have the controller in his hands. On the other hand, his dedication to making something watchable and entertaining makes him the only streamer I can stand watching as a result.

Woolie would be unwatchable to me without Reggie. Minh seems like he got all of his idea for gaming content from awful big-name gaming channels, and tries to emulate it (Woolie seemed legit done with him at times when Minh would try to crack jokes during the worst parts of Spec Ops). VMills is okay, but I'm a little tired of his "mmmm I can't wait to see what you think of this next part oohohhoh" commentary and I'd like to see them do some more stuff that V is less familiar with before I make up my mind on him. Reggie just gives off good vibes whether he's familiar or unfamiliar with the game. I think he would have fit in really well if he had been a regular on Best Friends.

Matt should stay away from trying to commentary over gameplay, at least without help. I like What Happened and I liked The Bug Report a lot because they drew off of his knowledge and had people who he could have good conversations with. I don't like his game showcases that consist of jump cuts between him moving characters around a screen for a few seconds and then stopping to talk for a few minutes. I like when he has people to bounce off of or when he can draw on his experiences in the gaming industry or his passion for movies (that Predator video he did was really fun and the editing was great).

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 10, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pennsylvanian posted:

VMills is okay, but I'm a little tired of his "mmmm I can't wait to see what you think of this next part oohohhoh" commentary and I'd like to see them do some more stuff that V is less familiar with before I make up my mind on him.
You're in luck! LittleV is just as new to Like a Dragon as Woolie is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZt1DmaT4AI

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Someone please tell Woolie the stun in Arkham is a guard-break, not a super-counter

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Grouchio posted:

You're in luck! LittleV is just as new to Like a Dragon as Woolie is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZt1DmaT4AI

Haven't dived into that yet. I literally just finished 0, and I wasn't psyched about watching it right away.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jesus gently caress I lost brain cells listening to wooly talk about guilty gear this podcast

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Is there anything that makes it worse than every other time he talks about fighting games?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Was it about the lore? Guilty Gear lore should be actively ignored imo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

He talks about lore but hes also just wrong about it. Like him saying Ky could easily handle sol comes from a joke ending. Or saying Sol isnt a fighter hes just a scientist who learned to fight so hes not as good as someone trained for life (Please ignore Sols been fighting longer than Kys been alive so that makes no sense.).

Woolie understands fight games stories like he does any other narrative. Badly.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Big Scary Owl posted:

Well that's a given for any fighting game imo.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 10, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

But if you spend 45 minutes talking about every 3 minute cutscene you should understand it better than that!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Big Scary Owl posted:

I mean, he literally got paid to talk about the lore so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rev2's After Story C justifies any flaws in GG's story imo