Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The other fun thing about Star Fox was the hand crafted levels felt like places and had story events and cinematic pacing, I think a proc gen Star Fox like would feel pretty lifeless unless it had an rear end ton of scripted events and at that point why even bother doing proc gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Procedural generation is only bad when it generates unfun levels, but in a Star Fox game I think I'd rather have a level editor and a "level of the day" score attack mode.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Lodin posted:

Someone's making a Star Fox ripoff that's procedurally generated and it looks ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OecesgPtKrw

Those graphics aren't exactly doing it for me. I liked the blocky look of the FX chip, it was just the frame rate that was bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle! posted:

Those graphics aren't exactly doing it for me. I liked the blocky look of the FX chip, it was just the frame rate that was bad.

Finally got to watch it. It entirely lacks charm imo

Nintendo's art design is tough to match let alone surpass

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Anyone been playing Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection? Is it any good?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sakurazuka posted:

Procedural generation should die in a fire

Have you played Caves of Qud? There's a game where procedural generation was mixed together with unique programming to create a wonderful experience. I strongly recommend it and hope it comes to Switch someday (somehow), or at the very least, mobile.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

So I never really got into apex so I dunno how it stacks up compared to other versions but it's really loving weird the gyro aiming only works on the y axis and there's no options around gyro aiming at all as far as I can tell. Given that's the only reason to bother playing a shooter game on switch Im gonna pass.

There are options in the settings under "motion control". It works in both axes for me seemed fine maybe it's because I bought a switch pro

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Yes and it's fantastic but brutally difficult even compared to the older ones. I had to go down a difficulty and I'm about 5 levels in now, really tightly designed. I'm enjoying it.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Procedural generation is only bad when it generates unfun levels, but in a Star Fox game I think I'd rather have a level editor and a "level of the day" score attack mode.

Star fox maker would be a lot of fun.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

xedo posted:

Star fox maker would be a lot of fun.

I agree. They animal gibberish would work great text story bits.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mode 7 posted:

We've discussed it a bit in the Mega Man thread, and the difficulty is very artificial as a result of the level crafting and enemy placement being very slipshod on higher difficulties.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Has anyone tried Ghoulboy?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
as a big Star Fox fan who has played Whisker Squadron I can say for sure that it feels like a Star Fox clone made by people who have never played Star Fox games

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Played a couple of rounds of Apex Legends. It runs fine docked, looks a bit crud compared to PC but it works. I don't love controller aiming, but there is some slight auto aim, and it playing on my couch beats sitting at a computer desk.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
March the 10th be with you, for it’s Mar10 day.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

Played a couple of rounds of Apex Legends. It runs fine docked, looks a bit crud compared to PC but it works. I don't love controller aiming, but there is some slight auto aim, and it playing on my couch beats sitting at a computer desk.

I've just played a few rounds handheld and it's... okay. Like I dunno what else people were expecting. The caveat to my opinion is that I am insanely garbage at the game so it's not like I notice a difference in my personal performance between switch and PC. I'll keep it on my switch for some legends while my partner watches gray's anatomy all evening.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

It absolutely is and it holds up way better than MMPR. Watch it all for free legally here: https://shoutfactorytv.com/series/super-sentai-zyuranger

I will spread the word of Zyuranger 'till I die.
To make it related to the Switch, there’s that Power Rangers fighting game that came out a while ago, even has cross play. My friend that’s more into fighting games than me is pretty into it, I still haven’t really learned it myself. From what I remember it’s kinda in the vein of newer fighters with simplified inputs, along with the craziness of 3v3 fighters, another game along the lines of DBFZ I guess.

Tangentially related side note, whenever I hear about Power Rangers I think of Big Bad Beetleborgs just cause a classmate in elementary school was in it.

Bleck posted:

as a big Star Fox fan who has played Whisker Squadron I can say for sure that it feels like a Star Fox clone made by people who have never played Star Fox games
:drat: How is it as a mindless shooty game on its own (i.e. not comparing to Star Fox)?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gonintendo has stopped updating
Anyone got a good clean nintendo news site that isn't filled with horrid ads like nintendo everything?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Anyone got a good clean nintendo news site that isn't filled with horrid ads like nintendo everything?

nintendo everything with ublock origin

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Weedle posted:

nintendo everything with ublock origin

Not great on phone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Not great on phone

if you're on iphone get 1blocker. dunno about android though :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1369666173885939718

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hack the phone and install an adblocker.

Or set up a Pi-Hole to block ads at the DNS level for your whole home network.

Also to stay on topic, hack your Switches so they can have cool background art.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm down

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Weedle posted:

if you're on iphone get 1blocker. dunno about android though :shrug:

Firefox's Android version added support for add-ons like uBlock Origin a while ago (I think in the stable version too? If not, the beta version does).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sakurazuka posted:

This and/or being a rogue like/lite are the easiest ways to turn me off of a game. Yes I'm aware I've missed out on tons of games because of this

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kassad posted:

Firefox's Android version added support for add-ons like uBlock Origin a while ago (I think in the stable version too? If not, the beta version does).

Yup, uBlock Origin and NoScript both work great in Firefox for Android. The web is unusable without them.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Welp, I know what my kids are going to want soon....

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hell yeah it’s turtle time

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Junkie Disease posted:

Nintendo Life isn't bad, but agreed, just use an ad-blocker of your choice on your favorite site.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Tempura Wizard posted:

Nintendo Life isn't bad, but agreed, just use an ad-blocker of your choice on your favorite site.

Yeah that's been my site for a few years now.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nintendo Life is understandably gushing about most stuff, but they give pretty fair reviews to many titles including niche ones like Murder By Numbers and other indies so I like them for their scope.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

For anyone who enjoyed Tropical Freeze, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is great spiritual successor and an absolute steal at $7.50 right now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So do Nintendo eshop points work like Steam wallet? Like if I have $30 in points and want to buy a $60 game I only get charged $30 on my credit card?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do Nintendo eshop points work like Steam wallet? Like if I have $30 in points and want to buy a $60 game I only get charged $30 on my credit card?

That's correct

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

this looks really awesome.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hope that TMNT game is good. Throwing enemies at the screen is straight out of Turtles in Time

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Always down for turtles. Now we just need Battletoads to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just found out that in that trailer Mike Patton is doing the classic TMNT theme song lol