Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody who told you Control was scary lied to you several times. It's one of the funniest games ever made, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

readingatwork posted:

Started playing Control and it's weird and dumb and makes all kinds of bad decisions (lol at the awkward internal monologue and live action actors) but I also kind of love it precisely for those bad decisions? If nothing else it's got some interesting ideas and is having fun with them. I really witsh it were actually scary though or at least had enemies that were more interesting than random dudes with glowing bits. I mean come on, you have the entire multiverse at your disposal. Give me some eldritch abominations!
I think remedy's tps formula is a pretty bad fit for the sort of experiences they've tried to make with Alan Wake and Control. Shooting a bunch of grunts every 15 minutes doesn't add anything to the ambiance when you're not aiming for an over the top exploitation film vibe.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lurker2006 posted:

I think remedy's tps formula is a pretty bad fit for the sort of experiences they've tried to make with Alan Wake and Control. Shooting a bunch of grunts every 15 minutes doesn't add anything to the ambiance when you're not aiming for an over the top exploitation film vibe.

The backstory of the Ordinary AWE is so well realized that I like to imagine it's the setting for a game that Remedy cancelled in pre-production when they couldn't figure out how to give a child a gun.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Anybody who told you Control was scary lied to you several times. It's one of the funniest games ever made, though.

Giving the best lines to a floating psychic inverted pyramid of uncertain benevolence was a bold choice, but it paid off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Control was such a weird game mechanically, they tried to make it slightly open world, which meant they had to fill the empty space, so they had to put in random encounters and pop up quests. But those need rewards, so gotta put in consumables, and if you have those you gotta have RPG elements and upgrade trees.

My dudes, just don't make it open world in the first place! Alan Wake let you get exciting new weapons too, it was called "give Alan a flare gun"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Repeatable encounters does not mean open world.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Repeatable encounters does not mean open world.

Being encouraged to repeatedly return to the same locations to grind out combat to grind out components just for the sake of it counts by at least my impression of the genre. You never get locked out of any area, you're encouraged to go around the zones for resources, and you're constantly doubling back to talk to NPCs.

Definitions aside, at the very least my point is that the entire upgrade system and the repeatable encounters/quest system exist to support each other really for no good reason since the upgrades aren't interesting.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Control felt like a mess but I love Remedy so much and it was *very* Remedy...y

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Control has a really fun setting, but I've always considered it a shame that the gameplay isn't quite up to matching that degree of creativity. The powers themselves, as fun as flying around as telekinetic artillery is, are otherwise fairly by the numbers. A shield, a dash, a short charm effect, etc. It would've been cool if they had more with the game on that end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

People keep bringing up their opinion on Control having ho-hum gameplay. I'm open u I can suggestions on other games that let me float around as a telekinetic goddess of death followed around by my best friend, a large healing orb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not that it's bad game, it's just that it doesn't compare very favourably to the amount of thought and creativity they put into the writing. It's functional, but functional doesn't stack up that well to me when the setting of the game is such an engrossingly weird place.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I adore Control. I really wish they had leaned more horror, because the places where you can feel the hint of it are wonderful.

I'm just happy the numbers were a success to Remedy, even if they weren't "breakout" numbers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Games never got better than Advent Rising, I’m sorry to say.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

People keep bringing up their opinion on Control having ho-hum gameplay. I'm open u I can suggestions on other games that let me float around as a telekinetic goddess of death followed around by my best friend, a large healing orb.

Most looter shooters offer a somewhat similar experience. Though this wasn’t *bad* by that standard mind you, just not amazing.

What I was hoping for when I started (I went in almost completely blind) was Bloodborne in a freaky living building but with gun based combat. But instead of mind-destroying abominations from beyond the void you just get room after room of the same human enemies you’d get in most other games. I don’t hate it. Hell, I’m about five seconds from picking it back up now. It’s just kind of a silly weird mess built around a fairly generic game engine.

Update: Yeesh, why are there SO MANY files I have to read? Lore is a sometimes food, game!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Update: Yeesh, why are there SO MANY files I have to read? Lore is a sometimes food, game!
Not in a Remedy game, it ain't.

But yeah, you're summing up how I felt about it very well. No part of the gameplay is really bad, not at all, but it's all just very... conventional, I suppose is how I'd phrase it. I wanted the game to be as weird to play as the setting is to explore. That the game doesn't live up to that expectation is disappointing, but it doesn't make it bad, just less good than it could have been.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Most looter shooters offer a somewhat similar experience. Though this wasn’t *bad* by that standard mind you, just not amazing.

What I was hoping for when I started (I went in almost completely blind) was Bloodborne in a freaky living building but with gun based combat. But instead of mind-destroying abominations from beyond the void you just get room after room of the same human enemies you’d get in most other games. I don’t hate it. Hell, I’m about five seconds from picking it back up now. It’s just kind of a silly weird mess built around a fairly generic game engine.

I get the looter shooter criticism, but what I was going for was the whole combo of paranormal powers in an action game, which a fair number of folks seem to criticize as if its something too commonly done. I can think of some games that have fun uses of telekinesis, but nothing else really comes to mind that blends that whole combo of powers, which is what I was trying to get at.
(Also I hope I didn't come across as trying to say folks are wrong for any dislikes, it's all subjective and I have my own share of substantial flaws with the game).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I wasn't really impressed by any aspect of Control. Every significant element in it was done better elsewhere, and some of those things, when done better elsewhere, still weren't very good. Basically they just made NoSleep and Annihilation and House of Leaves kiss and grafted some PS1-era TPS mechanics on top of the baby. Some of the dead letters were funny, I suppose. But it was not meant to be creepy, or even surprising.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I wasn't really impressed by any aspect of Control. Every significant element in it was done better elsewhere, and some of those things, when done better elsewhere, still weren't very good. Basically they just made NoSleep and Annihilation and House of Leaves kiss and grafted some PS1-era TPS mechanics on top of the baby. Some of the dead letters were funny, I suppose. But it was not meant to be creepy, or even surprising.

But does any of that do a similar combo of flying around with paranormal action skills? That's my ongoing question, folks keep criticizing it like that but then either don't mention anything similar or mention other games that don't seem to touch on that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If I wanted paranormal action skills at a greater level of competence than Control I'd play The Witcher 3

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

But does any of that do a similar combo of flying around with paranormal action skills? That's my ongoing question, folks keep criticizing it like that but then either don't mention anything similar or mention other games that don't seem to touch on that.
Not that precise combination, no, but the fact that it does all of these things at the same time doesn't necessarily matter to everyone.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Or Prey, for that matter

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Basic Chunnel posted:

SCP predates NoSleep and Southern Reach Trilogy I think and the FBC is literally just the SCP Foundation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like Prey a lot (and Witcher 3 not a lot), but neither of them really feel like the effortless murder god that I feel like in Control. Anyways I'm just generally fishing for other recommendations, again I hope I'm not coming across as criticizing folks for having different game opinions than me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You might enjoy the mid-2000s games Second Sight and Psi Ops. They're some of the best 'psychic powers' games around. Personally, I liked Second Sight better. It has a really good and clever twist.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Len posted:

SCP predates NoSleep and Southern Reach Trilogy I think and the FBC is literally just the SCP Foundation
Was the whole "the building is an artifact too" bit in the SCP lore? I can't remember.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

You might enjoy the mid-2000s games Second Sight and Psi Ops. They're some of the best 'psychic powers' games around. Personally, I liked Second Sight better. It has a really good and clever twist.
It's a shame that the Dishonored games punish you for going loud, their magic mayhem is fun and gruesome

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's a shame that the Dishonored games punish you for going loud, their magic mayhem is fun and gruesome
I wouldn't say they punish you. If you enjoy going loud and killing lots of enemies, high Chaos makes it so that you have more enemies to go loud at and kill. If you think about it in those terms, the game really just gives you more of what you seem to like doing the most.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Remedy's even gone as far to say that the SCP wiki was a big inspiration, and a lot of the collectible files describing contained objects are written very much like the earliest "Series I" articles, focused on a short story about an ordinary object that does something spooky. (More recent articles tend to be more narrative-driven, esoteric, unreliable or meta-textual, and burdened with their own canons. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.)

Basic Chunnel posted:

Was the whole "the building is an artifact too" bit in the SCP lore? I can't remember.

Containing anomalies inside anomalous structures is a bit of a cliché for the Foundation, but I can't for the life of me think of an example offhand.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Control also almost certainly took inspiration from the Lost Room with the Oceanview Motel.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Things I like about Control: Throwing objects with your brain is incredibly satisfying to the point where I only ever use my gun because the game forces me to by making my brain powers recharge. I'm basically maxing out my brain powers and ignoring every other skill tree at this point and it's incredibly broken.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Want to see truly broken in Control? Level up the Mind Control skill. Only actual bosses are immune to it. Grab one of those healing orbs or any of the named enemies that spawn and you can pretty much let the game play itself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Basic Chunnel posted:

the gently caress is a "PS1-era" third person shooter

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Metal Slug and Syphon Filter would probably count. Not that more than a few people even remember them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zushio posted:

Want to see truly broken in Control? Level up the Mind Control skill. Only actual bosses are immune to it. Grab one of those healing orbs or any of the named enemies that spawn and you can pretty much let the game play itself.

It's a shame that the ability feels so useless early on, the potential to have a friendly healer orb hang out alongside you is one of the best things ever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

CuddleCryptid posted:

Control was such a weird game mechanically, they tried to make it slightly open world, which meant they had to fill the empty space, so they had to put in random encounters and pop up quests. But those need rewards, so gotta put in consumables, and if you have those you gotta have RPG elements and upgrade trees.

My dudes, just don't make it open world in the first place! Alan Wake let you get exciting new weapons too, it was called "give Alan a flare gun"

Man, Alan Wake was such a comfy game, like a Stephen King novel that you could play.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blockhouse posted:

the gently caress is a "PS1-era" third person shooter

Gungage

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Cardiovorax posted:

Not in a Remedy game, it ain't.
i collected every single piece of lore in quantum break and read one (1) of them. and that was pointless because it related to a plot line that was never resolved because QB flopped

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Control started to drag for me, but i really, really liked the Alan Wake section

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Control also almost certainly took inspiration from the Lost Room with the Oceanview Motel.

That was a really cool show that I keep wanting to make a tabletop rpg campaign out of, but can't figure out how to put it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Debatably it's a game where you play as any number of comic book superheroes. You could dress the main character in a helmet and magnificent cape and recast the entire thing as an X-men game where you play as Magneto.

Even the telekinesis stuff would work just as fine if she was super strong and just, yknow, throwing stuff rather than the far easier to animate magic powers.

Yeah you can fly, but it's not like you have anywhere to actually go, and you can't exactly get the feeling of taking off into the sky. With the hover system it's more just a really slow falling motion.

Besides with stuff like the telekinesis shield and such it's kind of cheating because they just took that from Quantum Break which didn't really come up in reviews a lot because Quantum Break was not exactly beloved.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 10, 2021